What to do in San Diego? (and maybe San Fransisco)

v_illa
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What to do in San Diego? (and maybe San Fransisco)

Post by v_illa »

I'm going on a trip to San Diego with my sister at the end of February and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of where to go/what to do? I've been to Southern California a couple of times so we've already been to disney/universal, san diego zoo, sea world, lego land etc. My sister is speaking at a conference there but since we've been having some trouble figuring out an itinerary we may get a cheap flight to San Fransisco and do some exploring there so those suggestions would be helpful as well :D

MissMurder
Learner
Learner

Re: What to do in San Diego? (and maybe San Fransisco)

Post by MissMurder »

I haven't been to San Diego in awhile, but if you end up going to San Francisco, go to Alcatraz! If you haven't heard of it, it was an old prison that's supposed to be haunted now on an island. It's awesome, you just walk around or you can get these headphones that give you a vocal tour on the place. Also visit Lombard Street, a lot of people go, it's interesting looking. And The Golden Gate bridge is awesome as well as long as you're not afraid of heights. I hope you have fun wherever you end up going!

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

I made a trip to San Diego a few weeks ago (I live in LA) and my favorite thing there was the giant park they have. I don't remember what it's called but if you look on a map, it's impossible to miss. There are tons of things to see there. There's a cactus garden, a rose garden, museums, fountains and other beautiful gardens, architecture, etc.
imma ball til the day i fall

v_illa
Informer
Informer

Post by v_illa »

Angie V wrote:I made a trip to San Diego a few weeks ago (I live in LA) and my favorite thing there was the giant park they have. I don't remember what it's called but if you look on a map, it's impossible to miss. There are tons of things to see there. There's a cactus garden, a rose garden, museums, fountains and other beautiful gardens, architecture, etc.
thanks for the suggestions! Since you live in LA what are some of your favourite non-touristy places there?

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

MissMurder wrote:I haven't been to San Diego in awhile, but if you end up going to San Francisco, go to Alcatraz!
Alcatraz is one of the best touristy things I have ever done. It's an utterly fascinating place and really eerie.

lagunabiotch
Learner
Learner

Post by lagunabiotch »

You are in luck because I'm from the Bay Area and also went to school in San Diego.

The park is balboa park I just love walking around there, grabbing some sandwiches and making a picnic there. Go to Extraordinary Desserts they have the prettiest desserts ever. Old town is really fun to go too as well they have the oldest bank and post office in San Diego and museums about the history of the Hispanics coming over. I love downtown at night. 5th avenue will be where you will eat and go to bars/clubs.

whoawhoawhoa

Post by whoawhoawhoa »

lagunabiotch wrote:You are in luck because I'm from the Bay Area and also went to school in San Diego.

The park is balboa park I just love walking around there, grabbing some sandwiches and making a picnic there. Go to Extraordinary Desserts they have the prettiest desserts ever. Old town is really fun to go too as well they have the oldest bank and post office in San Diego and museums about the history of the Hispanics coming over. I love downtown at night. 5th avenue will be where you will eat and go to bars/clubs.
quoting you because i love your username

@OP are you thinking about going to LA too? one of my my favorite places to explore is sawtelle ave between ohio and overland. it's a short strip of a bunch of awesome restaurants, coffee and dessert shops, and boutiques that sell imported clothing, collectibles, art, and beauty products.

abbot kinney street in venice beach is also cool. it's totally bougie but all the stores are super awesome and unique. i always find seriously quality stuff there.

going to the actual venice beach boardwalk is sort of just okay to me. it's a lot of the same vendors for like 4 blocks and for some reason all i can think about is the smell of rancid body odor and kitchen grease lol. but if you smoke weed i guess it's mildly useful to go... they jack up their prices on everything.

century city mall is nice. you can shop at high-end stores there just like at rodeo without running into tourists (tourists = snobby workers that won't help you.)

west hollywood is super fun and cute - cool bar scene just be careful driving there is totally a bitch

downtown is fucking fun there are lots of comedy shows and nice restaurants. fashion district is super cool but really busy and can get crowded and the food vendors are awesome (bacon dogs in the day time and chili mangoes). also you can find pretty cute clothes there for super cheap (3 dolla leggings 4 dayz). the downtown independent shows really cool movies and has a free comedy show tuesday nights and it's super awesome and crazy.

san diego is so pretty. i've only been there a few times when i was little but there are cute dogs everywhere. like everyone just has dogs. i hope you go to the zoo! i hear it's like actually insane.

go_further
Informer
Informer

Post by go_further »

I actually would have to disagee about Alcatraz... I'm from a city near SF, and when I first came here that was my first destination.. It's not worth $60, and you have to wait in line, and the tour is so-so... I would recommend going to Pier 39, chocolate factory, just walking around the Piers in general. If you are planning to spend a couple of days in Bay Area, visit Santa Cruz- the most chill town out here. Has a boardwalk with rides and beautiful beaches, not to mention Monterey etc

go_further
Informer
Informer

Post by go_further »

wtf Just read "End of february" I guess Im late LOL

Return to “North America”