Madison Fox

jackietea
Informer
Informer

Madison Fox

Post by jackietea »

I don't know if anyone else here follows her. she has about 27k YT followers.... but I wanted to talk a bit about how concerning her weight has become. She has mentioned in past videos that she struggled with eating disorders in high school.... now she is vegan, and she is looking SO thin. Her arms have severe veining, and her arm muscles are protruding because there is ZERO fat to round them out. I really like her videos, and I commented on one saying to take care of herself and make sure she is eating enough because I like her videos and I want to see her do well... but she deleted the comment. Anyone else notice this about her? Her recent video was a bit alarming to me

smilesuperhero
Debater
Debater

Re: Madison Fox

Post by smilesuperhero »

jackietea wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:51 am
I don't know if anyone else here follows her. she has about 27k YT followers.... but I wanted to talk a bit about how concerning her weight has become. She has mentioned in past videos that she struggled with eating disorders in high school.... now she is vegan, and she is looking SO thin. Her arms have severe veining, and her arm muscles are protruding because there is ZERO fat to round them out. I really like her videos, and I commented on one saying to take care of herself and make sure she is eating enough because I like her videos and I want to see her do well... but she deleted the comment. Anyone else notice this about her? Her recent video was a bit alarming to me
I've just checked and I can see your comment. Is this your comment?
great haul lady! I found a lot of books I want to read! With that said... PLEASE take care of yourself, you are getting very very thin, I not only have been noticing it recent videos, but also in your recent IG pics. This is coming from a former ED girl who understands the struggle... but it's okay to take a break, and work on it.
Maybe saying something like that on a book haul video isn't the right place to say it? I mean yes it's concerning if she is struggling with an eating disorder, so maybe reach out more privately about your concerns? Maybe she is absolutely fine and healthy and if she deleted your comment earlier, it was probably for a reason. Unsolicited advice isn't something anyone has to accept, especially to a YouTuber who is posting videos about books, not her weight. If it was a vlog where she mentioned her issues, I'd understand posting a comment like that, but it does seem a little out of left field telling her she should take a break and work on her eating disorder in a book haul video. Maybe she is working on it, and she's trying her best, and your comment has made her doubt her own progress? Maybe you've made her think that her working on herself has been useless if strangers on the internet are telling her she's "very very thin".

bookreader13
Learner
Learner

Post by bookreader13 »

Commenting on anyone’s weight/health journey even as someone who also has an ED is a dangerous game. I get the intention is good, but it might not be the right move. You never know where someone is in their recovery or health journey and commenting on their weight/size might actually make it worse. Sometimes you need an escape from having your body be perceived and commented on 24/7, by yourself or by others. I think even a “please take care of yourself” would have sufficed.

smilesuperhero
Debater
Debater

Post by smilesuperhero »

Yeah you have to wonder what the impact of a comment like that will have. If Madison is aware of her eating disorder already, then your comment pointing out the way she looks isn’t helpful. I don’t know what she’s said online about it because this is the first time I’ve heard of her, but I imagine someone who is aware of their own illness doesn’t need unsolicited advice about it.

keyboardist
Learner
Learner

Post by keyboardist »

i just went on the video, and i still see the comment, so i don't think she deleted it. but even if she did, i can understand why she would want to, as it may be triggering for her to read

jackietea
Informer
Informer

Post by jackietea »

I understand what you all are saying... and I considered it. But I know when I had an eating disorder, the only way I was able to get help was when people started pointing it out... so I could no longer ignore it and make excuses for myself. It was really easy for me to continue to be unhealthy when no one said anything to me about it because lets be honest, when you are really sick, you WANT to continue in your really unhealthy habits....its pretty nice when no one confronts you. I don't want to make her feel triggered... but for me personally (even though it sucked) I can look back and realize that it was the thing that kinda forced me to face it....

Also, it was an older video that I commented it, and she deleted it... but she has only got worse since that one.... I have watched her continue to go downhill.

smilesuperhero
Debater
Debater

Post by smilesuperhero »

jackietea wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:31 am
I understand what you all are saying... and I considered it. But I know when I had an eating disorder, the only way I was able to get help was when people started pointing it out... so I could no longer ignore it and make excuses for myself. It was really easy for me to continue to be unhealthy when no one said anything to me about it because lets be honest, when you are really sick, you WANT to continue in your really unhealthy habits....its pretty nice when no one confronts you. I don't want to make her feel triggered... but for me personally (even though it sucked) I can look back and realize that it was the thing that kinda forced me to face it....

Also, it was an older video that I commented it, and she deleted it... but she has only got worse since that one.... I have watched her continue to go downhill.
I can see your point. I haven’t been watching her so I don’t know the journey but I know I would also feel concerned about my favorite online people if I watched them physically change in an alarming way.

roguecanaries
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by roguecanaries »

jackietea wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:31 am

I understand, but also there are some ED'd people who would take that as encouragement. EDs can be competitive and for some, that would be an encouragement to keep going... Like "oh, people are noticing, that means I'm doing well." You know? Alternatively, "well, people are monitoring my weight so if I gain any, they will notice..." That kind of scrutiny really isn't good for people imo.

I don't know this Youtuber, I've never seen her videos, but if she is unwell then someone who is close to her irl is the best person to be having these kinds of conversations with her. At the end of the day, you can't cure someone's mental illness over the internet, and I don't think these kinds of comments are helpful coming from complete strangers, however well intentioned. Otherwise the millions of people alternating between begging and screaming abuse at Eugenia Cooney would have had some kind of an impact.

Another Youtuber I follow, Of Herbs and Alters, did a whole video talking about his ED relapse and how well-meaning strangers who knew he was relapsing constantly monitoring every tiny fluctuation in his weight and commenting on his body only exacerbated the issues he was having.

Return to “BookTube”