Learner
Learner

Re: Michel Janse Part 13: 50 Shades Of Beige

Post by Missssmo »

smallhamlet wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:07 pm
Mysteryscooby wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:59 pm
Celiac videos might be Michel's niche. Her video wasn't bad and she seemed more authentic and confident then her other very performative videos that just leave a bad taste in your mouth.
Agreed. Although I rolled my eyes a little at the "I'm still super strict about cross-contamination." Anyone remember her just drinking that milkshake given to her at that restaurant without seeing if it was GF? When she said she didn't know if that alternative coffee straw was GF? And I haven't forgetten her making Jordy ask if her coffee was GF because she was "too scared to."

Personally I don't think this video came across authentic at all. To me it sounded performative - she's saying all the right things and talking as if she knows and does all the right things in her quest for the appearance of perfectionism.... However as the above poster mentioned, someone who is confident about talking to waiters and asking about ingredients would not so clearly be uncomfortable in going to ask a barista about her coffee order. Or so hesitant when pondering whether she should eat something if it might have gluten (poke in Hawaii). She has shown that kind of behaviour quite a few times in past videos, which to me is more likely to be her authentic self. How she talks about her behaviour in theory and how she acts in videos just doesn't align imo.

moomiu
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by moomiu »

Starting to suspect 2 accounts on here that might be Michel lol

pettycrimes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by pettycrimes »

moomiu wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:57 pm
I just wonder why out of all men, she decided to choose someone who enjoys being on the road aka exact opposite of her. You can’t be upset if he doesn’t want to settle down if you know yourself to be a homebody and choose the exact opposite to put all your eggs in one basket into.
sadly she didnt choose him, she didnt give herself the time to have choices. he fell into her lap and she ran with it because hes the first man who actually gave her the attention she so desperately craves. there were some speculations of lovebombing and im sure that was enough for her to reignite the need and the dream to be a girlfriend and a wife. because of that need, i highly doubt she would check out of the relationship on the basis of any disagreement, big or small. she wants that position too much, it probably doesnt really matter who is the partner and how that person actually is. its sad tbh but shes so far from self aware. i think we all remember how hard she tried to convince her audience that she and jordy were just casually dating, when he literally gifted her a book for kids on their first date 🤦‍♀️ i honestly think she sees him as the one and nothing that could happen will change that. i mean... considering her past relationship... lets say she doesnt have the best judgement.

thrifty+fifty
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by thrifty+fifty »

pettycrimes wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:25 am
moomiu wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:57 pm
I just wonder why out of all men, she decided to choose someone who enjoys being on the road aka exact opposite of her. You can’t be upset if he doesn’t want to settle down if you know yourself to be a homebody and choose the exact opposite to put all your eggs in one basket into.
sadly she didnt choose him, she didnt give herself the time to have choices. he fell into her lap and she ran with it because hes the first man who actually gave her the attention she so desperately craves. there were some speculations of lovebombing and im sure that was enough for her to reignite the need and the dream to be a girlfriend and a wife. because of that need, i highly doubt she would check out of the relationship on the basis of any disagreement, big or small. she wants that position too much, it probably doesnt really matter who is the partner and how that person actually is. its sad tbh but shes so far from self aware. i think we all remember how hard she tried to convince her audience that she and jordy were just casually dating, when he literally gifted her a book for kids on their first date 🤦‍♀️ i honestly think she sees him as the one and nothing that could happen will change that. i mean... considering her past relationship... lets say she doesnt have the best judgement.
I must admit lovebombing occurred to me at the time, and I found it a little strange that he watched a ton of her old videos (including her wedding video) to 'get to know her'. Why wouldn't you just hang out with the person, talk to them to get to know them?

NoOne1234
Learner
Learner

Post by NoOne1234 »

moomiu wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:11 am
Starting to suspect 2 accounts on here that might be Michel lol
Lol I was just telling that to someone!!

pettycrimes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by pettycrimes »

thrifty+fifty wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:40 am
pettycrimes wrote:

I must admit lovebombing occurred to me at the time, and I found it a little strange that he watched a ton of her old videos (including her wedding video) to 'get to know her'. Why wouldn't you just hang out with the person, talk to them to get to know them?
it was very strange (and creepy) indeed. the bar is on the floor

Sarahmolly451
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Sarahmolly451 »

Missssmo wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:05 pm
smallhamlet wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:07 pm

Agreed. Although I rolled my eyes a little at the "I'm still super strict about cross-contamination." Anyone remember her just drinking that milkshake given to her at that restaurant without seeing if it was GF? When she said she didn't know if that alternative coffee straw was GF? And I haven't forgetten her making Jordy ask if her coffee was GF because she was "too scared to."

Personally I don't think this video came across authentic at all. To me it sounded performative - she's saying all the right things and talking as if she knows and does all the right things in her quest for the appearance of perfectionism.... However as the above poster mentioned, someone who is confident about talking to waiters and asking about ingredients would not so clearly be uncomfortable in going to ask a barista about her coffee order. Or so hesitant when pondering whether she should eat something if it might have gluten (poke in Hawaii). She has shown that kind of behaviour quite a few times in past videos, which to me is more likely to be her authentic self. How she talks about her behaviour in theory and how she acts in videos just doesn't align imo.
I agree. It felt very much like she begrudgingly made this video. She's probably been receiving a lot of comments and criticisms about drinking the oat milk from Starbucks and some of the other bad nutritional choices she's made recently, so she made this video to put the issue to rest. The advice she provided in her video was good but it's coming from someone who doesn't act very responsible when it comes to managing her illness. Like how she's too embarrassed to ask serving staff what's in her food --- how can she counsel her viewers on how to handle ordering in restaurants when she can barely handle it herself?

thrifty+fifty
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by thrifty+fifty »

I have an unusual food allergy and have come to know over the years which meals are likely to have included the allergen and which haven't. Servers tend to either know how to handle the question 'which menu choices contain X ingredient please' or not ,- things have definitely improved over the years but some chefs/cooks stil give the answer 'oh it's nothing to worry about/ it's all evaporated so nothing to wyabout' when I have learnt through bitter experience not to take the risk.

I"m always raising an eyebrow when she doesn't question cross-contamination or even ask if something is gluten free? Come on, Michel, there's only one person that's responsible for managing your health and that's you.

Lovelylu
Informer
Informer

Post by Lovelylu »

Did anyone else catch in Saturday’s vlog that Jordy’s favorite treat is donuts? So that explains why she went through that crazy donut obsession for awhile. God forbid they don’t have EVERYTHING in common.

Lovelylu
Informer
Informer

Post by Lovelylu »

I went through a bout of serious gut issues a few years ago and I have one of the genes that can possibly link to celiac so I eliminated gluten for several months to see if that helped. It is SO hard to safely eat out. I live in a place with tons and tons of restaurants of all types and there were so many times I cried from the anxiety of trying to find something that was safely GF and also sounded good. Ain’t no way she’s putting in the work to ensure her safety. She can’t even be bothered to make sure a place is open before she shows up, you know she isn’t scouring their menus, reading reviews, and calling them up to see what their protocols are, if any, to serve her safely.

smallhamlet
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by smallhamlet »

Lovelylu wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:18 am
I went through a bout of serious gut issues a few years ago and I have one of the genes that can possibly link to celiac so I eliminated gluten for several months to see if that helped. It is SO hard to safely eat out. I live in a place with tons and tons of restaurants of all types and there were so many times I cried from the anxiety of trying to find something that was safely GF and also sounded good. Ain’t no way she’s putting in the work to ensure her safety. She can’t even be bothered to make sure a place is open before she shows up, you know she isn’t scouring their menus, reading reviews, and calling them up to see what their protocols are, if any, to serve her safely.
I forgot about the multiple times she showed up to places that were closed :rofl:

I will say the video is almost identical to the Celiac video she made in 2019. She just rehashed what she said there, down to finger wiggling to demonstrate villi and the (understandable) annoyance of allergy vs preference of people ordering at restaurants. The only thing new was her talking about Yelp and Oatly. And I don't think Michel understands that oat milk can still be contaminated even if it's certified gluten free. Oats and wheat are usually grown next to each other, and something as simple as the wind can get wheat in the oat crop...

NoraKnowsNatalie
Talker
Talker

Post by NoraKnowsNatalie »

pettycrimes wrote:

sadly she didnt choose him, she didnt give herself the time to have choices. he fell into her lap and she ran with it because hes the first man who actually gave her the attention she so desperately craves.
This. Big time. However, in all fairness, that's what rebound relationships usually are. Someone swoops in during your most vulnerable moment and tells you how wonderful you are. They say and do all of the things that you desperately need in order to feel good about yourself again. And, for awhile, you think you are the luckiest person on earth because this person miraculously has eyes only for you.

Spoiler alert. It rarely lasts. In fact, the rebound person is usually someone you wouldn't have looked twice at when you were feeling OK. When you look back on it, you realize that their only claim to fame is that they were in the right place at the right time. They stepped in and took advantage of you.

Most of us have been there and we got through it. Michel will, too. In the meantime we can all enjoy her current content, which will be totally embarrassing once she and Jordy break up.

Good times.....

chitown22
Learner
Learner

Post by chitown22 »

I think her and Jordy kind of shot themselves in the foot putting the relationship out there really from the very beginning. Michel is too desperate to be in a relationship and at this point would be too embarrassed to end things, and Jordy might be worried about being seen as the bad guy if he breaks up with her. I know he has a following of his own but his fans seem to be the same demographic as most of Michel’s followers and I’m sure he’s gained at least a little more traction being on her Youtube and Instagram.

This has been talked about on here before but I find it cool when Youtubers don’t create a big spotlight on their relationship but instead incorporate it naturally into their videos. Like Monica and Shelby Church, who both have boyfriends that just gradually started showing up more and more in their videos. There wasn’t some big announcement that nobody asked for like Michel and Jordy made on Instagram as if it was breaking news. Practically the first video she uploaded with Jordy was a Q&A after they’ve been together for only a few months.

I guess if they break up it could be a win win for them both since Michel will get content either way (even it’s terrible) and Jordy could write music about it. :?

NoraKnowsNatalie
Talker
Talker

Post by NoraKnowsNatalie »

chitown22 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:18 pm
I find it cool when Youtubers don’t create a big spotlight on their relationship but instead incorporate it naturally into their videos. Like Monica and Shelby Church, who both have boyfriends that just gradually started showing up more and more in their videos. There wasn’t some big announcement that nobody asked for
ITA. In fact, Shelby made a joke out of it. She waited so long to define her relationship with Sam that subscribers wouldn't stop asking. So, she had a shirt made up that said "Who is Sam?"

Another YouTuber who handled it well is Mia Maples. She announced when she was engaged and explained that her intended (Stuart) had no desire to be on camera. Then, she had one Q&A video with him, but that was it. Even her wedding and honeymoon videos gave him a certain level of privacy. There is world of difference between that and what Michel is doing.

Sarahmolly451
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Sarahmolly451 »

Lovelylu wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:14 am
Did anyone else catch in Saturday’s vlog that Jordy’s favorite treat is donuts? So that explains why she went through that crazy donut obsession for awhile. God forbid they don’t have EVERYTHING in common.
Yup, noticed it. Same thing with her obsession with boats --- I realized when I watched that video where she went on Jordy's family's boat that that was the whole reason for her preoccupation with sailing.

Part of me wonders whether Jordy's really into thrifting and vintage shopping. She claims they share that interest and he told her about some of the thrift stores in Oceanside. Part of me suspects he learned she's really into thrifting from watching her videos prior to them dating and then he fed her some BS about being interested in thrifting to get his hooks into her. Maybe I'm being too cynical.

ducksquack
Debater
Debater

Post by ducksquack »

smallhamlet wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:28 am
Lovelylu wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:18 am
I forgot about the multiple times she showed up to places that were closed :rofl:

I will say the video is almost identical to the Celiac video she made in 2019. She just rehashed what she said there, down to finger wiggling to demonstrate villi and the (understandable) annoyance of allergy vs preference of people ordering at restaurants. The only thing new was her talking about Yelp and Oatly. And I don't think Michel understands that oat milk can still be contaminated even if it's certified gluten free. Oats and wheat are usually grown next to each other, and something as simple as the wind can get wheat in the oat crop...
She even rehashed calling couscous a grain for the second time 😂

Glitter Queen 22
Learner
Learner

Post by Glitter Queen 22 »

Lovelylu wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:47 pm
Glitter Queen 22 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:41 pm

We don't know that she's struggling with an ED. Come on.
She literally said she was not that long ago.
I think that was months ago and she said she was getting help, I thought. So she could be in recovery.

Glitter Queen 22
Learner
Learner

Post by Glitter Queen 22 »

thetasparkle wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:26 pm
Glitter Queen 22 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:41 pm

We don't know that she's struggling with an ED. Come on.
Have you not been watching her videos?
I don't watch all of them because many are boring AF. Has there been a recent ED one?

moomiu
Learner
Learner

Post by moomiu »

Glitter Queen 22 wrote:
Lovelylu wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:47 pm
She literally said she was not that long ago.
I think that was months ago and she said she was getting help, I thought. So she could be in recovery.
She claims that she was focused on recovering - but we’ve yet to see any updates/her actually eat the food she cooks. I don’t think chasing down overpriced questionable GF coffees (when you could save money making coffee at the AirBnB with the machine you dragged around your nomad life) or chasing down GF sugary desserts is recovery mode.

I think it was a 3 vlogs ago she made a breakfast or brunch with granola, filmed plating the dish and then cut to where she didn’t eat it, but when Jordy came back from surfing she pulled the exact plate out of the fridge untouched.

Argument could say she made another plate - but then why didn’t she make 2 at the same time? Since she was keeping it in the fridge?

For someone who literally has a tendency to update! Her! Every! Mundane! Detail! Of! Her! Life! - you’d expect some updates of recovery in her vlogs since the above ED vlog from months ago but she’s kept quiet and amped up the body checking more with rental and new clothes that never seem to see the light of day after she buys/rents them. Goes to show it’s for body checking purposes and the need to spend money, not recovery.

I don’t expect much from her, she’s in denial Max needs the vet for more serious issues, so why should we expect she would take her health into more consideration? She should throw her nutrition degree in the bin or off a sailboat.

moomiu
Learner
Learner

Post by moomiu »

nocommentmeh wrote:She took him to the vet once and the vet recommended she give him Zyrtec (mentioned it in a vlog with weird pronunciation of Zyrtec). I think she’s taking that as a free pass to say all is well and to shut up anyone who’s concerned. Obviously, he looks worse than he did since that visit and she doesn’t seem bothered by it at all. Hate that shes projecting that “he’s a happy boy” or “maxy so excited..” when he’s a shell of what he once was. Wtf. Get a second opinion.

Also, I think her next venture is going to be selling her pottery. As someone else has mentioned before, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if she tried to make any of her hobbies or interests into a business to get profit out of. Then, when it flops or she loses interest, she’ll abandon it to find another.
Yea I was the one who speculated her next venture might be pottery - it would make sense cos of her fiasco with Summer Mornings that she has never addressed. The core point was where the mugs came from - that risk would be eliminated if she made the mugs herself.

Although not sure who would buy amateur or should I say “ama-tewer” pottery from a beginner - usually you just give those to your family Image A more sustainable way would be instead of using an excuse of buying gifts for people to spend money, she just makes mugs for them instead.

Her vlogs would be a tad more interesting if she actually got a real job. That was why I started watching her - when she was juggling everything. I think 2 failed side hustles - her clothing and Summer Mornings should be enough smack in the head for her to realize that she isn’t savvy enough to manage an actual business in the real world outside of YT.

Not that she’s savvy at YT either… her subs staying at 168k after losing over the year is suspicious Image

Return to “Michel Janse”