Debater

Re: Safiya Nygaard Part 6: Slow Speech Rate and Even Slower Editing

Post by Penelope penny »

takoyaki wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:30 am
PugsleyWednesday wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:04 pm
NEW VID:

The lady was hinting so hard for Safiya to talk less lol. I think youtubers like Safiya who really ham up the over talking and aren't around regular people a lot just can't control themselves. Like did she really have to make silly sounds every time the lady was squeezing her blackheads? The lady kept saying sorry because she thought she was hurting Safiya but actually safiya was faking the noises for her YouTube video.
I do think it’s also the discrepancy between her regular clients (anpparently A-list celebrities :roll: :roll: :roll: ) and just a normal person. The sounds didn’t bother me as much since I knew it was for a YouTube video and if you see anyone who shoots videos as a “personality” for a living they do often ham it up for the camera (for example look at talk show hosts).

The other thing is that I feel like safiya and Tyler are just pretty awkward people and they tend to fill silence in a bit of an awkward way. A good example of their personality is in their livestreams (remember when they said they were aiming to do weekly livestreams as part of their reset to be more consistent on YouTube :roll: that’s as good as dead now). I can kind of relate because I’m a bit of an awkward person myself but if I stay silent it makes others awkward so all I can do is fill the silence with lame jokes and weird noises lol.

On the other hand I guess it’s good that she’s uploading more than she used to, but I wonder if it’s a good trade off to do more quantity over quality. And facials and stuff aren’t particularly interesting or unique, they’re kind of low quality “easy” content if you understand what I mean. It requires barely any effort on their part. And the things in the video wasn’t even some sort of new technology. It was just cleanser, moisturiser, Guasha, microcurrent, and face massage. Compare this to her hard candy video which most people won’t have access to, her retail store discussion which is interesting and explains how and why some stores do things certain ways, and her custom lipstick printer which showed a new technology (and also showed me the technology is too new and not worth the purchase).

At least with Tyler’s video they’re actually making the food, although again it is lower effort since Carly is actually the one that did the food testing before hand and gave them foolproof instructions to ensure they didn’t have to trial and error anything. I would prefer less “managed” videos and for them to test things out without someone doing it already for them, because then what’s the point? You already know it works so it’s more like you’re selling a person instead of an interesting concept or video. It’s like selling a lipstick vs selling the same lipstick with a celebrity’s face on it.
I have no fucks left to give.

ilovepeachjuice
Debater
Debater

Post by ilovepeachjuice »

These people, like Simply Nailogical, profit a lot off making beauty guru type content for how much they try to distance themselves from the beauty community.

helenas6199
Learner
Learner

Post by helenas6199 »

takoyaki wrote:
PugsleyWednesday wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:04 pm
NEW VID:

The lady was hinting so hard for Safiya to talk less lol. I think youtubers like Safiya who really ham up the over talking and aren't around regular people a lot just can't control themselves. Like did she really have to make silly sounds every time the lady was squeezing her blackheads? The lady kept saying sorry because she thought she was hurting Safiya but actually safiya was faking the noises for her YouTube video.
Oh my god, now I definitely won’t watch the video for sure… The facial video would’ve been the one I might’ve had a tiny bit of interest in out of the two new videos compared to the Jello one which just straight up sounds so boring, just like the Oreo video. But just reading what you wrote here about her doing her noises and talking too much just makes me cringe… I swear she wasn’t like that a couple years ago… I wonder why she changed so much…? I guess she’s probably extremely insecure and uncomfortable with herself and acts like that to cover that up, but idk…

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

helenas6199
Learner
Learner

Post by helenas6199 »

Even just couple months ago I was one to say she should just upload whatever, because like better than nothing and I missed her content, but now that she’s actually uploading a couple videos every few weeks, it’s never been anything I was interested in and when I did decide to watch, I was always annoyed with how they both acted pretty quickly… They should’ve just stuck to the live-streaming. They were acting much more natural there. I know I have said this a thousand times, but I do really miss her fashion content, like the decade videos and stuff… But I guess we’ll never get anything like that from her anymore now she’s seemed to have decided mixing Frankenshit is her brand and other than that maybe embarrassing herself in front of strangers occasionally like with the hair cleaning and the facial.

spaceunicorn
Learner
Learner

Post by spaceunicorn »

the ''she's a talker'' in the recent video made me crack up hahah

another thing about HojuSara; while she was going through leukaemia treatments a few months ago, she and her boyfriend were struggling a lot with being able to subtitle their Korean vids in English as it's very time-consuming, and Safiya actually offered to pay a subtitler for her which I thought was lovely.

if anyone cares, timestamped to when they bring her up:

helenas6199
Learner
Learner

Post by helenas6199 »

So Saf made a Halloween filter. Apparently. And of course, it’s at least partly bat-themed and at the end of her video using it, she whips out that horribly unflattering black babydoll dress from 2017 to show off the "bat look"… This stupid app won’t let me add pictures, so just imagine that dress we all love on her and her manically making faces using the filter…

Boohbear75
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Boohbear75 »

I was so happy when she finally posted a video and they moved to NC it was fun to watch I happen to live in NC right off I40 and had moved some years ago so it was neat to me to see I40 went all the way west. I got excited to learn she was starting a livestream channel that changed when I saw what the livestreams where. She’s become out of touch irrelevant and is generally not creative at all.

helenas6199
Learner
Learner

Post by helenas6199 »

PugsleyWednesday wrote:
Wait no way, I thought it would take her at least until Christmas to post that video. Let’s see if it’s interesting…

spaceunicorn
Learner
Learner

Post by spaceunicorn »

the title at first actually was something like ''I Made A Viral TikTok Filter'' and now its this; ''I Made A TikTok Filter (to see if anyone would use it)''. i get that its just SEO optimisation but its lowkey funny that she went from calling it to viral to ''uhhmm maybe actually not'' hahah

chipn dip
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by chipn dip »

that was pretty interesting and she actually released it around Halloween

wreck
Informer
Informer

Post by wreck »

spaceunicorn wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:34 am
the title at first actually was something like ''I Made A Viral TikTok Filter'' and now its this; ''I Made A TikTok Filter (to see if anyone would use it)''. i get that its just SEO optimisation but its lowkey funny that she went from calling it to viral to ''uhhmm maybe actually not'' hahah
Now changed to "I Tried to Make a Viral TikTok Filter" lmao I guess she decided to land somewhere in between the two

helenas6199
Learner
Learner

Post by helenas6199 »

The video was honestly kinda interesting and it’s nice she actually posted it around Halloween and not months later, like she usually does with seasonal content or posting videos doing a viral trend months after the trend died… And although the video is almost 30 minutes it didn’t get boring as she just quickly explained what they were doing, it was informative but not the usual over-explaining. And the filters did turn out really nice. I do have to say to though I really cringed so hard when she awkwardly introduced their sponsor being like "This filter might be free, but if you want to recreate it and buy makeup for it, use honey" and "Our sponsor of today’s video is honey… Not the Instagram filter called honey… Honey!" God please, Safiya! I actually almost turned the video off after she started off like that.

AnxiousSusa
Learner
Learner

Post by AnxiousSusa »

are the weekly lives dead now? not to return? i liked those, then my life got hectic and i lost track, did they just quietly let them die?

helenas6199
Learner
Learner

Post by helenas6199 »

AnxiousSusa wrote:are the weekly lives dead now? not to return? i liked those, then my life got hectic and i lost track, did they just quietly let them die?
They never officially said they were quitting the livestreams, but considering their last live was in early summer, I think June (?), I guess they won’t do them anymore. But honestly who knows, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d come back in a couple months being like "Whoopsie, we’ve been gone for x long, but now we’re back". We all know Saf has been inconsistent with her content for years. I liked the lives so much better than most of her recent videos though, so I hope they’ll do them again. It’s probably just a technical issue, maybe all of her producers have quit on her again… Or maybe she’s just depressed and unproductive. I’ve felt like that could be the case for a while. I guess she never really got out of her 2020 lockdown depression where she didn’t post at all for months.

AnxiousSusa
Learner
Learner

Post by AnxiousSusa »

helenas6199 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:00 pm
AnxiousSusa wrote:are the weekly lives dead now? not to return? i liked those, then my life got hectic and i lost track, did they just quietly let them die?
They never officially said they were quitting the livestreams, but considering their last live was in early summer, I think June (?), I guess they won’t do them anymore. But honestly who knows, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d come back in a couple months being like "Whoopsie, we’ve been gone for x long, but now we’re back". We all know Saf has been inconsistent with her content for years. I liked the lives so much better than most of her recent videos though, so I hope they’ll do them again. It’s probably just a technical issue, maybe all of her producers have quit on her again… Or maybe she’s just depressed and unproductive. I’ve felt like that could be the case for a while. I guess she never really got out of her 2020 lockdown depression where she didn’t post at all for months.

i think she did find her way out of depression at least for now. sad though that it seems the lives were just a way to find their footing again , i found them so much more entertaining than the usual franken-videos.

Boohbear75
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Boohbear75 »

I found the lives uninteresting, but good to fall asleep to
If I’m going to watch a couple do some odd things on livestream for science my go to is Evan and Katelyn. They are more interesting and chaotic as in things are untested and could go wrong and they are a team of just themselves and don’t have a crew.

PugsleyWednesday
Debater
Debater

Post by PugsleyWednesday »

More crazy cooking with Tyler.

SteampunkEngineer
Learner
Learner

Post by SteampunkEngineer »

PugsleyWednesday wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:12 pm
More crazy cooking with Tyler.

that wasn't so bad. short and to the point.

Treefood666
Learner
Learner

Post by Treefood666 »

i was just scrolling through youtube and saw she posted a short and the way i called it lol. they got a new cat, this one named cosmo. i expect cat related content soon
eating dumplings

Return to “Safiya Nygaard”