Problematic Issues and Concerns in the Costuber Community

IrishBreakfastTea
Informer
Informer

Re: Problematic Issues and Concerns in the Costuber Community

Post by IrishBreakfastTea »

Tttttrassh wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:58 am
Another useful metaphor: knowing your dad is going to die in hospice care is not the same as how you feel when he actually does die.
EXACTLY!!!

throwie
Learner
Learner

Post by throwie »

Finally hit my breaking point with snappydragon and llh after sd posted and llh shared a STUNNINGLY tone-deaf and mis-informed reel about how the usamerican suffragette sash is actually racist. Completely ignoring how the women's suffrage movement in the US grew from abolition groups formed earlier in the century. How the abolition movement in the 1840s and 50s was overwhelmingly made of women. These same women fought for black men to get the vote, with the promise that once that was achieved, black men would use their new enfranchisement to help get voting rights for all women. And how once black men got the vote they made an abrupt about-face and withdrew their promised support from women's suffrage, leaving betrayal and tension between the groups.

If either of them has actually cracked open a book about early feminism or 19th century women's history I'll eat my bonnet.

Fucks sake.

twosugars
Debater
Debater

Post by twosugars »

throwie wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:56 pm
Finally hit my breaking point with snappydragon and llh after sd posted and llh shared a STUNNINGLY tone-deaf and mis-informed reel about how the usamerican suffragette sash is actually racist. Completely ignoring how the women's suffrage movement in the US grew from abolition groups formed earlier in the century. How the abolition movement in the 1840s and 50s was overwhelmingly made of women. These same women fought for black men to get the vote, with the promise that once that was achieved, black men would use their new enfranchisement to help get voting rights for all women. And how once black men got the vote they made an abrupt about-face and withdrew their promised support from women's suffrage, leaving betrayal and tension between the groups.

If either of them has actually cracked open a book about early feminism or 19th century women's history I'll eat my bonnet.

Fucks sake.
I'm curious to see if certain Costubers are going to respond to this at all, considering that I know quite a few of them (Abby for sure) have studied the movement.

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

Sorry, but who's llh?

throwie
Learner
Learner

Post by throwie »

popmypopcorn wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:46 am
Sorry, but who's llh?
Latina Living History. She hasn't posted much on youtube or Instagram (aside from stories) since last year, but she was a big agitator in the d I s c o r d costube drama in 2020 and liked to fancy herself a leader of the 'peasants revolt' that pushed out all the big creators.

Cinamomo
Talker
Talker

Post by Cinamomo »

throwie wrote:

Fucks sake.
Snappydragon has such an interesting youtube channel, but things like this keep me from actually enjoying as much as l should. Like, I truly enjoy her videos about medieval jewish people, thats a group l didnt knew much about and truly learned something new, but then she comes with another video or another post that makes all my excitement deflate like the saddest baloon to ever float

Koalaty_knits
Talker
Talker

Post by Koalaty_knits »

twosugars wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:33 pm
throwie wrote:

Fucks sake.
I'm curious to see if certain Costubers are going to respond to this at all, considering that I know quite a few of them (Abby for sure) have studied the movement.
I don't think they will. Snappy Dragon's suffragette video was advertised pretty frequently in the lead up to the release, and the first video didn't seem to get much reaction. Much of the Instagram reaction anyway, seems to be her friends.

Quaility
Learner
Learner

Post by Quaility »

Koalaty_knits wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:30 pm
twosugars wrote:

I don't think they will. Snappy Dragon's suffragette video was advertised pretty frequently in the lead up to the release, and the first video didn't seem to get much reaction. Much of the Instagram reaction anyway, seems to be her friends.
I don't think there is a good way for anyone to respond without coming off as an apologist unfortunately. It is a pretty nuanced topic for sewing/fashion channels.

I have the same feelings about Snappy as several other people. She does interesting things! And covers parts of history that are not as widely done, but I just can't take the lecturing. I find it super combative even when I agree with her. And some of her videos have the Most Longwinded disclaimers at the start, half the time I don't even know why she is yelling at us. (I do get some of the disclaimers, especially in her videos that are about Jewish things because I have seen some of the nasty comments before they were nuked from orbit and friends, it was not good.)

LadyViorica
Informer
Informer

Post by LadyViorica »

Koalaty_knits wrote:
twosugars wrote:

Seems to be a thing with a lot of that clique, honestly - after last year's surge of attention/drama, they've all fallen back into just being popular amongst their circle. Wonder if any of them were hoping to leverage the callouts into a bigger platform and wound up disappointed?

CuriousAboutThat
Talker
Talker

Post by CuriousAboutThat »

Quaility wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:07 pm
Koalaty_knits wrote:

I don't think there is a good way for anyone to respond without coming off as an apologist unfortunately. It is a pretty nuanced topic for sewing/fashion channels.

I have the same feelings about Snappy as several other people. She does interesting things! And covers parts of history that are not as widely done, but I just can't take the lecturing. I find it super combative even when I agree with her. And some of her videos have the Most Longwinded disclaimers at the start, half the time I don't even know why she is yelling at us. (I do get some of the disclaimers, especially in her videos that are about Jewish things because I have seen some of the nasty comments before they were nuked from orbit and friends, it was not good.)
Yep. The lecturing. This video I didn't even bother watching.

CuriousAboutThat
Talker
Talker

Post by CuriousAboutThat »

LadyViorica wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:07 am
Koalaty_knits wrote:

Seems to be a thing with a lot of that clique, honestly - after last year's surge of attention/drama, they've all fallen back into just being popular amongst their circle. Wonder if any of them were hoping to leverage the callouts into a bigger platform and wound up disappointed?
Likely. Now, the Costube Symposium that is supposed to happen next month - how much content will there be and how much will actually be useable?

crafternoon_delight
Talker
Talker

Post by crafternoon_delight »

CuriousAboutThat wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:23 am
LadyViorica wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:07 am

Likely. Now, the Costube Symposium that is supposed to happen next month - how much content will there be and how much will actually be useable?
Weren't Muse and SnappyDragon big promoters of Costube Symposium last year? They had several panels and videos on last year's playlist. Haven't heard a peep from them this year about Costube Symposium...

Sweetsweettea
Learner
Learner

Post by Sweetsweettea »

It is still being planned but pretty much all of the people that were prominently visible last year are either not participating or stepped down as admin. Aside from that the planning started a lot later, and they had to start a new IG as the logins from last year were lost. All in all it will be a much smaller event, which does bring the bonus that it has become a good event to discover new smaller channels.

Justagoat
Informer
Informer

Post by Justagoat »

Interesting. I had no idea costube was even happening this year, this is the first I’ve heard of it. And if I’m only just now hearing about it HERE it’s gonna be a mighty small group of viewers

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

Detto, I thought costube was only meant for 2020 when the annual CoCo was cancelled. Out of curiosity looked up this costuber symposium on yt, and the first content I liked only had about 500 views in a year, sad. Last year's CoCo was online/virtual, too, anyone participated? What about this year's? I read somewhere it will be "physical" now, but not much excitement, anticipation or preparations go around, as used to...

crafternoon_delight
Talker
Talker

popmypopcorn wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:35 am
Detto, I thought costube was only meant for 2020 when the annual CoCo was cancelled. Out of curiosity looked up this costuber symposium on yt, and the first content I liked only had about 500 views in a year, sad. Last year's CoCo was online/virtual, too, anyone participated? What about this year's? I read somewhere it will be "physical" now, but not much excitement, anticipation or preparations go around, as used to...
The first year, CoCoVid, was a replacement for CoCo (organized by Costuming Drama if I remember correctly) but wasn't associated with CoCo. Now they call it Costube Symposium to emphasize that it's not related to CoCo.

Not sure what CoCo proper is doing this year, that event got a lot of attention when BB vlogged it, but I remember there was a kerfuffle in 2019 or early 2020 about CoCo not paying their teachers and a bunch of people stepped out of the event.

crafternoon_delight
Talker
Talker

popmypopcorn wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:35 am
What videos from CoSy 2021 did you like? I looked through the playlists and many accounts haven't put out videos in several months...some haven't posted since last CoSy O_O

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

crafternoon_delight wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:47 am
What videos from CoSy 2021 did you like? I looked through the playlists and many accounts haven't put out videos in several months...some haven't posted since last CoSy O_O
Guess they gave up youtubing, happens with many! But, this is the one, first episode of a recreating vlog:

I especially liked it, due to the over representation in 18th century costuming of silk robe (insert your favourite style here)s and IKEA curtain jackets. Sometimes it's refreshing to see a proper wench :D

Adrielle
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Adrielle »

crafternoon_delight wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:47 am

No idea how to share things here, but there was one from I think Shannon Makes about making a tailors ham that looked like a ham that I remember being entertaining. Also a sausage that looked like a breakfast sausage with custom printed fabric she designed.

Overall, it was a bit lackluster of an event. The discord had some socializing, which was creator heavy. And if I remember right, the badges had some extra step where a person had to send it to you individually, so even that was less motivational than CoCoVid. I did however find some new smaller creators I still follow.

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

Adrielle wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:12 am
No idea how to share things here, but there was one from I think Shannon Makes about making a tailors ham that looked like a ham that I remember being entertaining. Also a sausage that looked like a breakfast sausage with custom printed fabric she designed.

Overall, it was a bit lackluster of an event. The discord had some socializing, which was creator heavy. And if I remember right, the badges had some extra step where a person had to send it to you individually, so even that was less motivational than CoCoVid. I did however find some new smaller creators I still follow.
A quick guide :)
1 1858b.jpg
1 1862.jpg
As I can recall CoCoVid was "cool kids" creator heavy, although they strived to introduce smaller channels, too, but it was quite biased towards the big names. Also does anyone remember the facebook group created during that time, lashed out at CoCo board for not paying their lecturers? It was a huge controversy and I can guess lot were left bitter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Costubers”