Problematic Issues and Concerns in the Costuber Community

janina_1995
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Problematic Issues and Concerns in the Costuber Community

Post by janina_1995 »

Once again i am begging muse to research the colonial williamsburg foundation. It's not #unproblematic but they really try and do interesting and important work. CW is a living history museum that invited one of the most inoffensively appealing big name youtubers around to explore and promote their museum.

but then muse would have to do research and it's unclear to me that they know how

itiswhatitis35
Learner
Learner

Post by itiswhatitis35 »

People are messaging Muse about the video because they want to be told what to think. They can't just watch the video and come to their own conclusions, they need someone to tell them what their conclusions are.

Sad.

iStateRn
Lurker
Lurker

Post by iStateRn »

itiswhatitis35 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:41 am
People are messaging Muse about the video because they want to be told what to think. They can't just watch the video and come to their own conclusions, they need someone to tell them what their conclusions are.

Sad.
Given the talk of Muse possibly originating on Tumblr, the whole "let's ask Muse what they think!" actually makes a lot of sense to me. Back in the discourse-heavy days of Tumblr (before the worst offenders moved to Twitter), people would get really scared of sharing 'potentially problematic' things (usually not "problematic" at all, just easy to take out of context) in case BNFs decided they were actually against it and they got attacked for it. So you got a lot of people reading things and not sharing them, even if they liked or agreed with it, because of this.

The people messaging Muse have almost certainly seen the video and want to talk about it, but they're so stuck in Muse's sphere of influence that they want to make sure they won't get attacked for it first. It's an incredibly toxic environment and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

fizzwizz12

Post by fizzwizz12 »

Tumblr is the reason for this crazy shit.
“I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.”-vincent valentine

twosugars
Debater
Debater

Post by twosugars »

itiswhatitis35 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:41 am

Sad.
In addition to the point made about people wanting to make sure what side Muse is "on" before potentially sharing/liking something and ending up in their crosshairs, I think it's showcasing that Muse has put themselves into a corner by sparking their Instagram "career" on being open and snarky and dramatic.

If you start off that way, making sipping tea TikToks about costumers and Costubers with side-eyes and smirks and tsk-tsk callouts, then you're setting the precedent that this is your brand. The brand Muse made is founded on making snarky reels calling out costumers, but now that there are potential consequences for it (drama coming her way which could interfere with getting free stuff/sponsorships, potentially having to meet with these people in person and being unable to handle it, her targets not being easy ones that are ganged-up on etc) Muse is trying to take themselves off the heat.

But once you stake your internet brand on callouts, people want you to be consistent about it... it's like a hungry crowd, they want more. And Muse is having trouble realizing that there is no easy "off switch." Especially since it makes Muse appear blatantly hypocritical and as if their earlier posts were for clout/attention. Once it gets hard to do the callouts because the people in question are popular or because they might be involved in the same circles, suddenly Muse doesn't want to talk about it anymore.

LadyViorica
Informer
Informer

Post by LadyViorica »

Muse reminds me of various people on book/author twitter (Justina Ireland, Zabe Ellor, etc) who built their brand on callouts and then stopped using the website when being a twitter bully became more of a hindrance than a help to their careers. Problem is, they had their actual writing to fall back on to promote themselves. Muse really doesn't have any other skills or products to shill. They don't sew. Their research crumbles under the slightest scrutiny. Their videos aren't compelling. Without callouts, what does Muse even have?

sporkspeaks
Talker
Talker

Post by sporkspeaks »

All Muse truly has is the ability to wear clothes someone else makes.

Koalaty_knits
Talker
Talker

Post by Koalaty_knits »

sporkspeaks wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:50 am
Muse also has pictures of their adorable child, which makes me feel uncomfortable after Sewstine got comments about her's, so I guess there's that.

Iamnothere
Informer
Informer

Post by Iamnothere »

Koalaty_knits wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:04 am
sporkspeaks wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:50 am
Muse also has pictures of their adorable child, which makes me feel uncomfortable after Sewstine got comments about her's, so I guess there's that.
People who show their kids as part of their content really grinds my gears. There's a couple other costumers who I follow who do that (and non costumers), and I really dislike it. No, your baby, toddler, and younger kids aren't able to understand the internet, and can't really consent to being posted. I don't understand what's hard about that concept. Or the whole predators looking at your children and saving/sharing/rolplaying with the photos thing.

sporkspeaks
Talker
Talker

Post by sporkspeaks »

Children as social media props is a skeevy move in a way that including a pet break in a costuming video isn't. Sewstine's fluffy cloud dogs look beautifully brainless and loveable while having her son come in for a second to prove she's a good working mom who has it all seems more pointed and manipulative.

Muse showing their child is simply another way to pull views, positive interactions, and create a wholesome narrative that fits with the Disney side of their costuming.

It's really unnecessary and creepy because the kid can't consent the way an adult in a photoshoot can. It's not the same as showing off vacation photos to friends and family like in the old days. Monetizing your kid for internet points isn't good.

Iamnothere
Informer
Informer

Post by Iamnothere »

Does anyone know what Ora Lin is vaguebooking about? I know they, among some others, have been promoting some mutual aid pages. I understand and agree that mutual aid can be beneficial, but I don't get what they're so annoyed about? Like, they didn't start talking about mutual aid until recently themselves, so I don't get the "you should have already been doing this" attitude. Or am I reading into it wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LakeGalore
Talker
Talker

Post by LakeGalore »

Iamnothere wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:19 pm
Does anyone know what Ora Lin is vaguebooking about? I know they, among some others, have been promoting some mutual aid pages. I understand and agree that mutual aid can be beneficial, but I don't get what they're so annoyed about? Like, they didn't start talking about mutual aid until recently themselves, so I don't get the "you should have already been doing this" attitude. Or am I reading into it wrong?
I have no clue what they're vaguebooking about, but holy shit that stance about how if you don't need to budget all your money every month you should "redistribute [your] wealth" is entitled. The average instagram user is not a person who has the kind of wealth that truly needs to be redistributed. Note how they didn't mention fabric or notion purchases in that list of things that people frivolously spend on/are usually told to not buy to save money, a la avocado toast.
I'm in a position where I can comfortably save a couple hundred dollars a month and am still strictly budgeting every single dollar.

sporkspeaks
Talker
Talker

Post by sporkspeaks »

No savings! Only spending for the barest necessities of life and using all of the rest for mutual aid funds.

Redistributing the wealth means taking down billionaires and filthy oligarchs, not skipping Starbucks and trying to shame others.

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

LOL never heard of mutual aid (as being not American) so it's a completely new concept to me. But the audacity&entitlement to tell people what to do with their money and then bullying 'em for not taking part in her imbecile voting :D Can it be that, that the other 140 are non-Americans too, and never heard of MA...? Or people simply don't feel like participating in every single surwey they see online? Whether they donate or not...?

sporkspeaks
Talker
Talker

Post by sporkspeaks »

Mutual aid is not an American concept. An anarchist Russian from the late 1800s is credited with the idea.

It's community support instead of charity from the upper classes.

LadyViorica
Informer
Informer

Post by LadyViorica »

Iamnothere wrote:
Yeah, this is someone who doesn't understand what "redistribute the wealth" means. It's not a bunch of poor people passing around the $2 they would have used to buy coffee. It's taking money from billionaires and distributing it equally. It's also not the same thing as mutual aid, which is resources being pooled by community members to be used by whoever is currently in need. They've definitely got the zeal and snottiness of a new convert, just not one who knows what they're talking about.

Ezzy
Learner
Learner

Post by Ezzy »

Iamnothere wrote:
Honestly, this gives me such Tumblr vibes too. As a reader, even when not involved, it feels like I'm being blackmailed to be a part of this and give, or else. There is no other choice but hers. Disgusting.
Cosplayer, Dreamer, Tea Aficionado, Cat lady :HK:

lanouk
Learner
Learner

Post by lanouk »

LadyViorica wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:10 am
Iamnothere wrote:
Yeah, this is someone who doesn't understand what "redistribute the wealth" means. It's not a bunch of poor people passing around the $2 they would have used to buy coffee. It's taking money from billionaires and distributing it equally. It's also not the same thing as mutual aid, which is resources being pooled by community members to be used by whoever is currently in need. They've definitely got the zeal and snottiness of a new convert, just not one who knows what they're talking about.
you put it beautifully, haha. the part that also grinds my gears is that "mutual aid" is supposed to be mutual, and you will never see that $25 again because the people on social media are NOT a real community. if you want to do it, call it what it is - charity.

Cinamomo
Talker
Talker

Post by Cinamomo »

This may sound a little salty, but my biggest problem with the people that keep commenting on the problematic issues with this hobby is that many of them could very well make full videos talking about it, instead of just vaguely referring to it.

Nothing annoys me more than watching a video and a person stops everything they are doing to make vague and extremely safe references to extremely specific things, but refuse to elaborate on with anything else but basic buzzwords that everyone with a bit of sense or decency would already know.

Like, you saying you care oh so much about this topic, apparently want to teach people about it to better society and has a big platform, but prefers to just vaguely "talk" about the topic instead of doing the educating you apparently care about so much?

Idk, It feels lazy and handsoff to just mention buzzwords and share premade stock - and sometimes out of date - "educational" images and then go around acting like you just single-handedly ended all the -ism and -phobics of the world

twosugars
Debater
Debater

Post by twosugars »

Cinamomo wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:11 am
This may sound a little salty, but my biggest problem with the people that keep commenting on the problematic issues with this hobby is that many of them could very well make full videos talking about it, instead of just vaguely referring to it.

Nothing annoys me more than watching a video and a person stops everything they are doing to make vague and extremely safe references to extremely specific things, but refuse to elaborate on with anything else but basic buzzwords that everyone with a bit of sense or decency would already know.

Like, you saying you care oh so much about this topic, apparently want to teach people about it to better society and has a big platform, but prefers to just vaguely "talk" about the topic instead of doing the educating you apparently care about so much?

Idk, It feels lazy and handsoff to just mention buzzwords and share premade stock - and sometimes out of date - "educational" images and then go around acting like you just single-handedly ended all the -ism and -phobics of the world
I do wonder if most of them could actually make full videos talking about the issues they bring up--that may be the real problem. It's fairly easy to tut-tut a finger, throw up an infographic, raise an eyebrow, and make a pointed statement. It's not as easy to actually present an educational, well-rounded, researched take on the topic.

Because we've seen time and time again that for many of the people who love to make vague references to problematic issues, when it comes to actually fleshing out their stances, providing sources, curating an educated take on a topic... they can't manage it. They show their ass, to so speak, but revealing that they often just... don't know what the heck they're actually talking about when it comes to in-depth discussions of these issues.

Return to “Costubers”