Readwithcindy

just a cat
Informer
Informer

Re: Readwithcindy

Post by just a cat »

Personally, I think Cindy is a breath of fresh air and don't find her overly negative BUT I think it's because I can tell when she's joking and when she's legitimate since we have a similar sense of humor. That being said, I can see how her channel can be perceived as negative since she doesn't really gush enough about things she likes. Then again, we all know that rant/snark sells so she could be catering to that market.

Also...Cindy dealt with a lot of push back being an Asian booktuber when she started (and considering the Kaz debacle, probably still is), so it's kind of weird to be saying she's making everything about feminism and racism or that it's an "agenda". Like, it's making me side-eye you hard when I read that. Cindy is Asian and a woman, not really something she can divorce herself from and it shapes her experiences.

jackietea
Informer
Informer

Post by jackietea »

sofisticat wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:37 pm
faeling wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:09 pm

Yeah, I mean...everything IS about feminism and racism, tho. Like, even if you don't know about it actively, any sort of bigotry can be linked to SO many everyday things. I'll take your example of trees. You can link trees to national parks in the US. They're mostly forests, right? In order to establish national parks, many indigenous tribes were driven off their land and shunted off into reservations. You may see just a tree, but someone might see it as a representation as colonialism. Or racism.

Another example: board games. Outside of games like Battleship or ones that are explicitly problematic, how can a board game fit into this discussions of the patriarchy without being contrived? Let's talk about the Magdalena Laundries. To make a fraught history incredibly short for anyone who might read this and not know, the Magdalena Laundries were institutions in Ireland where "unsavory" women were thrown into. You could have gotten pregnant out of wedlock, a criminal, anything. The women imprisoned where used as slave labor. These places were active well into the 1990's.

Which brings us to board games. Anyone who played Mousetrap in Europe in the '80's and '90's most likely played with a set that was made by a women imprisoned in the Magdalena Laundries. Hasbro made a deal to get their games mass produced with cheap labor. Who were the owners that Hasbro made a deal with? The Catholic Church.

I love board games and Mousetrap was my favorite as a kid. But this knowledge is intrinsically linked in my mind now.

Bigotry is pervasive and it is everywhere. I can understand with wanting to turn your brain off and just enjoy things. It's hard, though. And some people just can't. I want to take it in good faith that this is something that Cindy is really passionate about, but I think Chloe has really taught us that anyone can use social justice as a schtick.
I agree. The annoying thing is the virtue signalers, of which there are many on Booktube and Youtube in general, who end up diminishing the conversations that are brought up. If you're more ... insulated in your own circle, you may not immediately understand why certain things could be considered offensive - mainly because they don't affect you. But I like that there are booktubers who are talking about things, since it'll help me avoid wasting my time. Emily Fox tends to get a lot of critique for mentioning sexism in sci-fi books (most recently The Witcher) but I think it still needs to be said, and also sometimes it's hilarious seeing her talk about certain scenes cause it really points out just how foolish they are (like that nipple scene).

I can imagine it would be really frustrating to listen to when you want to turn your brain off, but it doesn't mean they don't still exist.

That being said, I do think that Cindy sort of fell into this schtick of being like, that bitchy friend who will call shit out. And for the most part I vibe with that, while other times I think it's a bit overdone.
Yeah, and I think thats just why I dont vibe with her, and some people do. I am well aware that racism and sexism still exists... but sometimes when I come to booktube, I DO want to turn my brain off sometimes which is fine as well. We dont ALWAYS have to be taking a stand every second of every day because for me, that just stresses me out and makes me hate life. I just want to talk about books and stories and things that make us as readers happy... and because of that I dont think she is for me. But I can see why people would like her.

bookreader13
Learner
Learner

Post by bookreader13 »

I don't find Cindy funny, we just have different senses of humour, but I appreciate her personality and I feel like she's very genuine. A lot of content creators, especially youtubers and booktubers, have a certain persona that they (sometimes unintentionally) put forward. While I do think that "public figures" all have personas to some extent, and that it is not necessarily an inherently bad thing, I do feel like a lot of mainstream booktubers get lost in their persona and lose a sense of authenticity. I feel like Cindy doesn't have that problem.

bookreader13
Learner
Learner

Post by bookreader13 »

-[+_+]- wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:12 pm
Guest wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:25 pm
Damn if she does, damn if she doesn't tbh. If she didn't, people would scream 'Check your privilege'.' I find Cindy refreshingly honest and doesn't take herself too seriously. It's just a dry sense of humour. IDK. I really relate to her more than anyone else.
I find that disclosing the exact companies you have worked for/with is just TMI and I doubt she would namedrop if they were smaller companies. If she kept quiet about her career life (like 99% of Booktubers?), then no one would tell her to "Check your privilege." Anyways, that's like the only thing about her that annoyed me. (I can also see how she can be a little tryhard - as others have said - but that doesn't really bother me).
That's your opinion and that's valid, but I 100% disagree. Disclosing what companies she has worked for is just her sharing her life experiences with her audience, and I think she would share who she has worked for even if they were smaller companies. It's not namedropping to discuss your life experiences. I've worked for bigger companies and when I mention them to people, it's because I'm proud of my accomplishments or I'm just stating history/facts, not because I'm namedropping. I feel like it's the same with Cindy.

Return to “BookTube”