Lisa Eldridge - am I the only one...

Rosie34567-2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Lisa Eldridge - am I the only one...

Post by Rosie34567-2 »

I found this video to be problematic for several reasons. It's condescending, and honestly...a little mean.

1) Lisa literally said "I always look at her face and I think, hmmm there's a hidden bombshell in there" ...WHAT?! That's such a backhanded compliment. That's like saying: "you could be pretty if you did [xyz], but you don't, and it really annoys me and I need to fix you now."

2) She's being invasive and treating her employee like a barbie doll or a project, when she (clearly) didn't ask for it. It's quite rude and condescending how Lisa feels like she can give someone unsolicited advice on their appearance.

3) Not everyone aspires to look like a bombshell every day...maybe Olivia prefers the natural look and has different interests/priorities than Lisa.

4) Lisa described her as "shy and quiet" ...which, again, is always a backhanded thing to make someone seem weak or timid. Olivia is probably just introverted.

5) She basically bullied her employee into being on camera. Olivia had never done anything like this before (probably because she doesn't want to!) ...but I mean, who's realistically going to say no to their boss?

lulugirl765
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lulugirl765 »

Yeah, I think she could have been a LOT more respectful! Like, "I think Olivia is beautiful and she graciously allowed me the chance to apply some makeup to her face." Or even better, "I offered her $500 and she said ok sure."

Anyway, I just have no interest in the foundation. Some of it is the pandemic and not wearing makeup as much. But I tried the blush which is a disaster product that you can’t get out of the tube. The lipsticks are okay but with masks I don’t wear them much. I will probably end up having to toss them when they go off.

Dandelion
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Dandelion »

Yay, people are posting here again.
I can't believe I used to think Lisa was a good Youtuber. I just checked out the original Instagram video with Olivia and she looked so uncomfortable in the final shots. Yes, she looks great, but she obviously isn't the type to wear makeup at all. Lisa basically used her as a prop. Yikes.

Callan
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Callan »

Ugh the whole "hmmm there's a hidden bombshell in there" is so rude, there's a not so hidden asshole in the room and it's definitely Lisa.

tar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tar »

I happened to see this video. That was a backhanded compliment. I used to actually watch Lisa a long time ago. When did she
start acting like that? Maybe she did and that’s why I stopped watching her. I can’t remember.

Dandelion
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Dandelion »

tar wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:53 pm
I happened to see this video. That was a backhanded compliment. I used to actually watch Lisa a long time ago. When did she
start acting like that? Maybe she did and that’s why I stopped watching her. I can’t remember.
Maybe she's jealous because Olivia is young and naturally beautiful. Lisa is getting old and has had a lot of work done. And her rings look so silly. I thought the William Welstead rings she originally wore were quite nice and unique on her. But the rings she created for her own collection don't look half as good for some reason.

lulugirl765
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lulugirl765 »

Looks like chicprofileofficial returned two bottles of the foundation, once for the pop-up shop mismatching her shade, and the second time because she didn’t like the formula. The bottle is also a mistake, in my opinion. It can’t stand up and must lie on its rounded side wobbling around on a table or in a drawer. It would be very hard to get the foundation out from the bottom of the bottle if need be as well.

Dandelion
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Dandelion »

lulugirl765 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:14 am
Looks like chicprofileofficial returned two bottles of the foundation, once for the pop-up shop mismatching her shade, and the second time because she didn’t like the formula. The bottle is also a mistake, in my opinion. It can’t stand up and must lie on its rounded side wobbling around on a table or in a drawer. It would be very hard to get the foundation out from the bottom of the bottle if need be as well.
I think Lisa didn't really care about the product being user friendly, she just wanted to create something iconic that would go down in makeup history as quirky and original. :?

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by DrowningInMelancholy »

Given the nature of the beauty insutry as a whole, I don't expect a brand or any one artist to be infallible. The industry is creativity-driven for sure, but also vain, and here to sell a dream in a bottle.

I disagree with the user who claimed that she practically kidnapped Olivia and made her get on camera. I'm pretty sure that she was simply nervous is all. Another thing that is moreso a personal issue is equating shy and timid with weak. Those are not the same thing, and being shy/timid doesn't automatically make someone weak but I digress. The makeover did wonders for Olivia, and that's as much as I'm going to say about that bit.

Now for my cirticisms with Lisa, I understand that she wants to frame her brand as a luxury line, however I do think that the prices are excessive and that it's a brand not readily accessible outside of the U.K. You're pretty much pressing your luck with finding a good foundation match and while I do think that the bottle is "pretty" it's not user-friendly. I would have preffered a bottle that would stand up right as opposed to being lain on the side. I understand wantng a unique-eye catching product, but it's nearly detrimental to the actual product itself.

It seems that she's taken a more promotional route with her channel and that was inevitable. There's going to be loyal Eldridge fans who will buy her exuberantly priced rings, and her makeup with no hesistations.

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

I was watching a couple of the "makeup guest artists" videos and the video guest starring Beau Nelson and I've never been so turned off by a professional makeup artist since Anele, lol. Whenever the model wanted to interject, Beau looked annoyed or dismissive of her and I don't really care for the overpriced flesh toy, I mean blender. Just my 2 pennies

lulugirl765
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lulugirl765 »

DrowningInMelancholy wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:13 pm
Given the nature of the beauty insutry as a whole, I don't expect a brand or any one artist to be infallible. The industry is creativity-driven for sure, but also vain, and here to sell a dream in a bottle.

I disagree with the user who claimed that she practically kidnapped Olivia and made her get on camera. I'm pretty sure that she was simply nervous is all. Another thing that is moreso a personal issue is equating shy and timid with weak. Those are not the same thing, and being shy/timid doesn't automatically make someone weak but I digress. The makeover did wonders for Olivia, and that's as much as I'm going to say about that bit.

Now for my cirticisms with Lisa, I understand that she wants to frame her brand as a luxury line, however I do think that the prices are excessive and that it's a brand not readily accessible outside of the U.K. You're pretty much pressing your luck with finding a good foundation match and while I do think that the bottle is "pretty" it's not user-friendly. I would have preffered a bottle that would stand up right as opposed to being lain on the side. I understand wantng a unique-eye catching product, but it's nearly detrimental to the actual product itself.

It seems that she's taken a more promotional route with her channel and that was inevitable. There's going to be loyal Eldridge fans who will buy her exuberantly priced rings, and her makeup with no hesistations.
It’s so true, everyone jumped when she started offering foundation and blush, both these products have issues. I fell for the blush because of the skin tightening ingredients. But then the blush is like clay and I can’t get it out of the tube, the packaging is a big fail. Honestly I don’t think she put the time in with the blush and foundation that she did with the lipstick. I have a couple of the lipsticks but I don’t need anymore. I won’t be buying anything again from her brand.

Dooyoo8675
Talker
Talker

Post by Dooyoo8675 »

Her prices are insane. I got a dent in the lipstick package. No discount for Black Friday and she usually goes silent that weekend. Disappointing. Wet and Wild is cheap and awesome. Oh and the tubing mascara from Milani is the best mascara I have EVER used.

lulugirl765
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lulugirl765 »

I ended up de-potting the blush into an empty powder compact. I’m trying to use up what I can of it before it dries out. The blush is a bit bright for me, so I swatch a cream highlighter on the back of my hand and then mix in a bit of blush which tones it down.

I’m not a champion of any brand simply because it’s cheap or because it’s expensive. Good products exist at any price range. I do find that the low end of the price tag tends to suit younger people more, with things that don’t look good on mature skin, such as glitter or powders that are drying and emphasize fine lines and wrinkles.

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

I do think that it's a matter of preference. For myself I do gravitate towards glitter and I have oily skin so a good matte powder would suite my skintype

Lisa is releasing skincare. I can't say that I am not surprised, but I also noticed that a lot of her content is promoting her brand which I understand but that's not why people subscribe to her channel.

lulugirl765
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lulugirl765 »

Yeah I still get her emails and the recent one is “story of how my products got to Selfridges.”

I’m not surprised at the skincare either, it’s the type of product that lends itself to more frequent repurchases. Lisa’s jewelry is a 1-time purchase, and so is most of the makeup. People don’t use up a lippie quickly enough to buy another one soon.

Rosie34567-2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Rosie34567-2 »

I'm hardcore judging the fact that she bleached her eyebrows for a youtube tutorial. It was just so unnecessary... she absolutely could've found another method of achieving a similar look. :?

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 1.28.33 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

honestly i don't hate it though? lol. it's rather impressive that she bleached her brows for the tutorial

lulugirl765
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lulugirl765 »

I see so much backlash over her products, practically everyone I watch on beauty has decluttered her stuff. The foundation is just bad, and the lipsticks break off and are a bit dry. She had a hot minute with the lipsticks when she launched, but none of it sells out anymore.

Return to “K-O”