Too scared of driving?

bits
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Too scared of driving?

Post by bits »

Are you in a position to see a therapist or someone to talk to about your anxiety/OCD? I don't have a fear of driving specifically but I have the same disorders as you with other fears. You said you're taking stuff for the anxiety so talking to whoever prescribed the medication could be helpful.

As with any fear the biggest thing is exposure and rewiring the pathways we've programmed as automatic fear and anxiety. I would recommend looking up resources on how you can safely practice exposure therapy yourself. You don't want to go to quickly or you can make your fear worse. That's probably really basic advice but all I can suggest is to go slowly and try not to beat yourself down or focus on trying to get over it by a certain time (like moving in with your bf). I'm dealing with this in regard to social anxiety/BDD affecting my career, and taking it one day at a time (ugh so cheesy) instead of freaking out about the future has been difficult but it's starting to help a little.
@zoella shove ya gingerbread cutter up ya arse xoxo

Ariadne

Re: Too scared of driving?

Post by Ariadne »

I got my license at 19. Mainly because of other reasons, but also because I was terrified. I knew i would have to learn though, so what I did was I paid to get taught in a school. There's a big difference in having a friend or parent teach you than having a certified instructor. They teach you the correct and safest way possible.

I've had my license for a year now, and the defense mechanisms they taught me has come in use so much already. There are really stupid drivers out there.

I also try not to put myself in situations where I know is more dangerous when it comes to driving. I won't drive on the highway (unless its to a local airport, and thats on a parkway and only 2 exits), I rarely drive at night past 10pm or so, and I try to avoid rush hour times. Just makes me feel more comfortable that way.

Hope this helps!

lipstickliquor
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lipstickliquor »

I have no advice for you I'm afraid, but I am in the same boat, big time. I turned 30 this year and I still don't drive, it's completely eaten me. I always lived places that I didn't really need to drive, London etc and I always used that as an excuse not to learn. But now I live a bit more out of the way, I really do need a car, and I hate the fact I never learnt when I should have.

I get super nervous towards other drivers when I'm a passenger in a car, let alone if I was actually driving it! The idea that someone else in technically in control of your life. Although, I don't feel nervous about the person who is actually driving the car that I'm in! Not even taxi drivers. Weird. Just the other people on the road.

As much as I do just want to say "oh ffs get on with it", I know it's just not as easy as that... I am forever jealous of people who just, you know, drive. -_-

PARKBOM
Learner
Learner

Post by PARKBOM »

Im 21 almost 22 and still dont drive. I also have anxiety and panic disorder and i fear that i will get into an accident or maybe kill someone. I know its irrational, but hopefully one day we can face our fears :tu:

BeautyBunky
Informer
Informer

Post by BeautyBunky »

One day at a time love! I'd seek help from a reputable therapist. In the mean time, try facing your fears slowly. First just sitting in the drivers seat, getting out of the drive way, going a block, a circle around your neighborhood. Ease into it. Set a goal each time and try not to focus on how long it takes you.

chocolate-00186
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by chocolate-00186 »

The only advice I would give is to believe in yourself. Most people take to driving easily whereas others may struggle. However, don't feel like you're 'bad' for not driving but maybe try it and see how it goes! If you really don't like it, you can always stop for a while and start again when you're ready. Don't let people pressurise you into doing it and take your time, so that you are ready!
Good luck ☺️ X

TheBadBeginning
Talker
Talker

Post by TheBadBeginning »

I don't have a fear of driving, so I'm sorry I don't have advice for you (everyone had good advice anyways) but I do understand the whole being older and not having a license. I was 20 when I got mine while all my other friends got theirs back in high school at 16 so i felt embarrassed.
You can take your test and get your license (a lot easier than people make it out to be)but not have to drive afterwards. Yeah I know it's best to get over your fears,etc. but that can come with time and help. I didn't even have my own car until 2 years after my license, so I never drove anywhere anyways.
Good luck! I hope it works out for you! Just remember you're not the only one with this anxiety AND you're not super old or anything to still not have a license.

Ankylosaurus
Learner
Learner

Post by Ankylosaurus »

18 years old, and I've failed my driver's tests four times so far due to nerves... I feel your pain. I wasn't even that nervous on the road to begin with... got months of drivers' ed, and nearly two full years of just driving with my parents as well... but each failed test leaves me more and more frightened of being behind the wheel, and it really sucks... because every time I drive now, I think of one of the grouchy DMV examiners sitting next to me, and it makes my skin crawl... I work in the service industry, so I've dealt with all kinds of unfriendly people with a big smile on my face, yet I've never felt so intimidated in my life as I have been by these DMV people. :(
Image :love2: Image

alliwantistruth
Informer
Informer

Post by alliwantistruth »

I'm 22, took 4 times to pass my driving test, and had a panic attack in the second one so my driving was totally dangerous. I was ok with it for a while, but now I'm away at university I can't keep my car on campus, so when I come back home driving terrifies me. I'm in the UK so roads are small, and I always fear I'm going to crash into something. I vividly imagine it, so much so my concentration lapses - which could cause a real crash!! I also get kind of claustrophobic, like driving in traffic where there's no "escape" scares me. :(

randomKid123
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by randomKid123 »

I too am kind of scared of driving. When I was younger I was involved in a drunk driving accident. It has left a profound effect on me as a whole.

Lefaineant
Informer
Informer

Post by Lefaineant »

I used to be very scared of driving. Mostly because I'm scared of cops and the possibly killing someone. If it wasn't for my mom who forced me to practice with her. She didn't coddle me, but she had confidence in me which help me pass. Also since I lived in a rural area, there were empty backroads that made it easier to practice. Then I would gradually drive in neighborhoods, busy streets, and then the freeway. Driving in a large empty parking lot, if possible, is great place to drive. I feel uneasy driving with a passenger than when I'm alone.

audree
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by audree »

I only failed my test once, but it did take me more than a year to finally get the hang of driving before even trying for a license. In the learning process, I would keep chickening out and get too anxious to practice. In fact, the only reason I failed my driving test was because I was so anxious that I screwed everything up. It was all bad, even though I practiced for it so many times. It's been over a year already since then, but I still get nightmares about hitting someone and getting into an accident. >___<;

I don't have very much helpful advice, but I can say that it helps to stick to familiar grounds and to look up directions before going to places you've never been to on your own. I find that it helps to know where you're going. :)

Nesoi
Naughty
Naughty

Post by Nesoi »

Take a few lessons with a recommended instructor and see how you get on. Driving is very liberating but doesn't have to limit your life if you cannot drive...you can still get the train, bus, walk...might take a bit longer. While other drivers on the road can be intimidating, as most drive fast or carelessly, dont give up, you have as much right to be on the road and will probably turn out to be a much safer driver. As long as you always keep your eye to the front and watch the traffic, always driver slower if you feel nervous or unsure and then you are more in control of the car. If people toot at you, make them wait while you park or do your maneuver.
Think of the road trips you will be able to do or make a list of local places you will be able to visit once you can drive, it might inspire you and give you some motivation :tu:
It is so worth it once you are driving along a beach/ ocean road or country road in summer :D

Selia11
Debater
Debater

Post by Selia11 »

The last time I drove a car it was the day I took my practical driving exam (2 years ago and the car is manual btw)

And yes I’m a bit scared of driving now, I feel like I forgot how to drive already.

Return to “Cars”