Learner
Has thanked: 0

Re: Booktubers Part 10

Post by fullyarmedbattalion »

freezedriedfruit wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:06 pm
DeathArcana wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:06 pm

I read the whole trilogy and anyone that wasn't part of the main trio had absolutely 0 character at all. the Cike were all filler characters and they could've all been cut with little to no bearing on the overall plot because they do NOTHING.
TPW was seen as super new and groundbreaking because it drew from Chinese culture and history which most Western fantasy readers don't know anything about. It wasn't that great, especially the pacing clusterfuck of a last book, but it was decent enough for a first series.

Iron Widow on the other hand makes TPW look like Pulitzer prize winning literature. The writing is childish and shallow, the only "feminism" in sight is the female protagonist killing everyone, and a book being the first YA with a poly relationship doesn't automatically make it a good book. This is the worst case of "not like other girls" I've seen in a long time. TPW also borrows names from Chinese mythology, but the main character in IW is literally named after a really famous female empresses and one of the love interests is named after the adult emperor who she was the child concubine to.
it's not even the first YA with a poly relationship, i've read a few, strange grace by tessa gratton and the wicker king by k ancrum off the top of my head
These users thanked the author fullyarmedbattalion for the post:
TheBookishBabe (Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:55 pm)
Rating: 4.55%

freezedriedfruit
Talker
Talker

Post by freezedriedfruit »

fullyarmedbattalion wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:56 pm
freezedriedfruit wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:06 pm

TPW was seen as super new and groundbreaking because it drew from Chinese culture and history which most Western fantasy readers don't know anything about. It wasn't that great, especially the pacing clusterfuck of a last book, but it was decent enough for a first series.

Iron Widow on the other hand makes TPW look like Pulitzer prize winning literature. The writing is childish and shallow, the only "feminism" in sight is the female protagonist killing everyone, and a book being the first YA with a poly relationship doesn't automatically make it a good book. This is the worst case of "not like other girls" I've seen in a long time. TPW also borrows names from Chinese mythology, but the main character in IW is literally named after a really famous female empresses and one of the love interests is named after the adult emperor who she was the child concubine to.
it's not even the first YA with a poly relationship, i've read a few, strange grace by tessa gratton and the wicker king by k ancrum off the top of my head
Welp, guess it's even less groundbreaking then.

Arriahj
Learner
Learner

Post by Arriahj »

Is It just me but it seem like every time I'm on YouTube every booktubers are doing the reading sprints 🤔

BookBird
Learner
Learner

Post by BookBird »

Reading sprints are an easy way to get up watch times so people can get monetised. I don't think that's the only reason people are doing it, but it does contribute.

laurasommeils
Debater
Debater

Post by laurasommeils »

sofisticat wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:17 pm
greysweatpants20 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:46 pm

Every time I think of TPW, I remember the dozens of times "snapped" was used as a dialogue tag where "said" sufficed. Even more than once on the same page. I am aware most people won't care, but i can't turn off my writer brain and it really is the sort of thing any half-decent editor should catch.

Aside from that, the characters didn't quite have the depth I wanted. I got through the novel pretty quickly - mostly because I had to return it to the library. I still haven't picked up the sequel (probably won't).
I haven't read a book that went downhill so quickly in a loong time. It started out so well and was really interesting but then each act just got progressively worse. I also still haven't picked up the second and at this point I don't know that I will. Rin was such an obnoxious dumbass by the end of the first that I don't know if I could take her getting worse.
I had one of those momments in which you feel that the book you're reading surely is not the book people are raving about so much. I picked the ebooks of book 2 and 3 and skim read them to see if maaaaybe it became better but not such luck.
These users thanked the author laurasommeils for the post:
sofisticat (Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:45 pm)

grilledcheese_
Lurker
Lurker

Post by grilledcheese_ »

I'm so confused by alliewithbooks' new video? Some thoughts:
1) this year my YA reading has gone down a lot and I've transitioned to reading about 65% adult books vs. the almost 50/50 split I had last year. I also track representation in the books & authors and this number has stayed just about the same (too many numbers to list lol but basically 39% of my books last year did not have good diversity/representation vs. 38% this year) so I've actually read MORE diversely this year while reading more adult.
2) she mentions in the video that she wants to make it clear she's not saying it's difficult to find diverse adult books and that there is a diversity issue across all of publishing (which I agree with!!) but then like....what is the point of the video?
3) she implies that people confused by people not being able to find diverse adult books are rude/inconsiderate and maybe I'm one of those people because...how/why is it hard? You can easily search "LGBT+ horror books" "queer fantasy books" "romance books by authors of color" etc, etc. and boom, hundreds of options.
It's fine to prefer YA but I'm just so confused by the video overall. She mentioned it's come up on Twitter a lot which I'm not on so maybe I'm missing the context.
These users thanked the author grilledcheese_ for the post (total 2):
sofisticat (Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:07 pm) • TheBookishBabe (Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:36 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

sofisticat
Learner
Learner

Post by sofisticat »

Never watched this person before but they come across as a bit passive aggressive to me. We don't need all these disclaimers and "don't twist my words!!" - well then, speak more directly?

I do think that there is a diversity problem, period. But things are getting much better. I actually quite liked the OwnVoices era as it more easily helped me find Indigenous authors in genres that I enjoyed and I didn't have to slog through the same recs that focus on trauma of native peoples for the benefit of non-native readers.

It seems like she, among others who gravitate to YA, want hyper-specific recs spoon fed to them while also maintaining a purity culture cause if it doesn't fit the woke checklist then it's not good. Like, just say you wanna stay in YA; it's not that big of a deal. To me, these readers come off as having a chip on their shoulder cause the general public would judge them for their reading material much the way the general public would judge those housewives reading supermarket romances.

Lol at her reccing Spoiler Alert. My friend read that and was so frustrated by it because it was essentially a self-insert Game of Thrones fic that got published. Her recs in general seem to be a bit ... shit. Sorry, lol. Like, some of these books that she's reccing have problems that she was complaining about! The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue was slammed for being hella white, Mexican Gothic was critiqued for not having enough nuance.

Also, cause now I'm getting annoyed. Slamming Lotr, Dune, etc. doesn't make you cool or edgy. It just shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. They fulfill a very specific high fantasy/sci-fi subgenre. At this point, we might as well slam classics for not being realistic to the times!

And rounding out a petty note: the rec of The Night Circus tells me how boring she is. And other than Mexican Gothic, her recs aren't that diverse, author-wise, either.
These users thanked the author sofisticat for the post:
Arriahj (Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:40 pm)

freezedriedfruit
Talker
Talker

sofisticat wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:06 pm

Also, cause now I'm getting annoyed. Slamming Lotr, Dune, etc. doesn't make you cool or edgy. It just shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. They fulfill a very specific high fantasy/sci-fi subgenre. At this point, we might as well slam classics for not being realistic to the times!
There's also plenty of people who critique Dune for its handling of colonial narratives do know what they're talking about and have informed opinions.

likeaphrodite
Learner
Learner

Post by likeaphrodite »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:16 pm
smolante12 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:01 pm

i might be mistaken, so ignore this part if i am, but wasn't there an entire thing with booktubers ending their sponsorships with botm a couple years ago or maybe last year? i vaguely remember nayareadsandsmiles making some sort of video that addressed it. but i've heard there wasn't much in the ya box for botm, which doesn't make much sense to me if ya booktube is apparently so associated with consumerism. maybe they should've also included more random bookish trinkets like the other subscription boxes. maybe they're trying to do something like a re-brand? or maybe they can't keep up production of the trinket-heavy boxes because of the pandemic?
That was Book Outlet drama

BOTM never doe trinket boxes it's just a book sub
there was a botm drama too because they didn't have enough diversity in their releases. withcindy talked about it.

likeaphrodite
Learner
Learner

Post by likeaphrodite »

i just wanted to highlight how amazing BooksLikeWhoa's content as been lately! i've been a fan of her for like 2 years now but she recently took a brief break and the stuff she's putting out now is leaps and bounds ahead of anything i've seen anyone even attempt on booktube. it's super insightful and well thought out, not to mention original. highly recommend checking her out if you haven't in a while. of course her normal booktube videos like wrap ups are still very lovely, but her recent video essays blew my socks off haha
These users thanked the author likeaphrodite for the post (total 4):
BasicBooktuber1 (Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:52 pm) • krranky (Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:33 pm) • PumpkinPoison (Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:39 pm) • nopetrope (Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:49 pm)
Rating: 18.18%

sofisticat
Learner
Learner

Post by sofisticat »

freezedriedfruit wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:31 pm
sofisticat wrote:

There's also plenty of people who critique Dune for its handling of colonial narratives do know what they're talking about and have informed opinions.
Oh, absolutely. And rightfully so. However, I found her mentioning it as uninformed as more as a grasp for an example of White Men Writing Things Is Terrible and Bad, more than a legit critique of the genre and themes presented therein. Like, I have not read it and I'm really picky about older sci-fi that I do read because I know there are going to be themes that I won't dig. But I'm also not gonna sit there and wax poetic about how terrible a particular book is when I clearly haven't read it.
These users thanked the author sofisticat for the post:
freezedriedfruit (Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:26 pm)

just a cat
Lurker
Lurker

Post by just a cat »

speaking of…
E6FA38DD-703E-40DD-9DE9-049F74506063.jpeg
C517BDD6-8971-48CC-8926-AD3EC3CB0752.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grilledcheese_
Lurker
Lurker

Post by grilledcheese_ »

sofisticat wrote:
Lol at her reccing Spoiler Alert. My friend read that and was so frustrated by it because it was essentially a self-insert Game of Thrones fic that got published. Her recs in general seem to be a bit ... shit. Sorry, lol. Like, some of these books that she's reccing have problems that she was complaining about! The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue was slammed for being hella white, Mexican Gothic was critiqued for not having enough nuance.

And rounding out a petty note: the rec of The Night Circus tells me how boring she is. And other than Mexican Gothic, her recs aren't that diverse, author-wise, either.
I didn't even get into this but a lot of her recs weren't even diverse? Right off the bat, the first 2 books she recommended are by white women. A LOT of the books she recommended are by straight, white people.
Like I said, the whole thing was just confusing to me lol
These users thanked the author grilledcheese_ for the post:
sofisticat (Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:37 pm)

Beaniebaby29
Learner
Learner

Post by Beaniebaby29 »

Do any of you watch Emmie?

TheBookishBabe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by TheBookishBabe »

grilledcheese_ wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:28 pm

1) this year my YA reading has gone down a lot and I've transitioned to reading about 65% adult books vs. the almost 50/50 split I had last year. I also track representation in the books & authors and this number has stayed just about the same (too many numbers to list lol but basically 39% of my books last year did not have good diversity/representation vs. 38% this year) so I've actually read MORE diversely this year while reading more adult.
2) she mentions in the video that she wants to make it clear she's not saying it's difficult to find diverse adult books and that there is a diversity issue across all of publishing (which I agree with!!) but then like....what is the point of the video?
3) she implies that people confused by people not being able to find diverse adult books are rude/inconsiderate and maybe I'm one of those people because...how/why is it hard? You can easily search "LGBT+ horror books" "queer fantasy books" "romance books by authors of color" etc, etc. and boom, hundreds of options.
It's fine to prefer YA but I'm just so confused by the video overall. She mentioned it's come up on Twitter a lot which I'm not on so maybe I'm missing the context.
She's the main one on Twitter whining about adult books being hard to read and not diverse. Now she's claiming too expensive.

"These are just the ones I physically own and love. Adult books are EXPENSIVE. They run nearly $10 more than Young Adult fiction, and that's just in the US. They can be twice as expensive in other parts of the world."

Except adult books are not that much more expensive than YA or picture books. It also depends on the genre as mass market paperback romance is a huge genre and cheap.

sofisticat
Learner
Learner

Post by sofisticat »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:40 pm
grilledcheese_ wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:28 pm

She's the main one on Twitter whining about adult books being hard to read and not diverse. Now she's claiming too expensive.

"These are just the ones I physically own and love. Adult books are EXPENSIVE. They run nearly $10 more than Young Adult fiction, and that's just in the US. They can be twice as expensive in other parts of the world."

Except adult books are not that much more expensive than YA or picture books. It also depends on the genre as mass market paperback romance is a huge genre and cheap.
Not sure if you saw this but she responded:

1. YA books are absolutely cheaper than Adult books. Adult hardcovers run about $29 and YA hard codes run about $19. That’s a clear price point difference.

I’m sorry that you found my recommendations lacking variety. I gave a range of genres, topics, and authors of various marginalizations. Some are more obscure and others are more mainstream. It’s easier to break into mainstream books first before diving into the deeper cuts. So maybe this video wasn’t aimed at you. You’re not always the target audience.

Also, I never said YA was more diverse 😂 You clearly didn’t watch more than two minutes of my video. I said that there’s a diversity issue across genres and age groups. That’s a cold hard fact and I’m sorry you can’t accept it.

2. I also read majority adult fiction. Please return back to guru gossip 😘

3. Anyway thank you for the view!! Means a lot bestie 💖

Lol. She reads Guru Gossip! Egads, besties!

freezedriedfruit
Talker
Talker

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:40 pm

Can't speak for anything else, but she's right about other parts of the world. YA goes for $20-25, and Adult starts at $25ish, most are around $30-40 and I've seen some go up to $45. We don't get hardcovers or mass market paperbacks here, so all standard paperback prices.

BookBird
Learner
Learner

Post by BookBird »

It is interesting to see how the publication age changes things in different parts of the world. I'm in the UK and looking on Waterstones YA paperbacks here start from £8 and adult from £9. So the difference isn't that much. It is bigger in hardbacks with most YA hardbacks being £15 and adult £20, but Waterstones seem to do about £3 off on most of their new adult hardbacks, which they don't do as much on the YA ones, so again that takes the difference down to about £2.
These users thanked the author BookBird for the post:
TheBookishBabe (Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:19 am)

TheBookishBabe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by TheBookishBabe »

I've never paid $29 for an adult hardcover in the US. especially not with sales and places liike Amazon where you can get books cheaper.
These users thanked the author TheBookishBabe for the post:
Arriahj (Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:22 am)

TheBookishBabe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Return to “BookTube”