Purple Hair

Ynelle
Stalker
Stalker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Purple Hair

Post by Ynelle »

So I'm getting the ends of my hair dyed purple soon for the first time (I have dark brown hair at the moment) but I go on holiday about 3 days after my hair appointment for a week. I know that purple hair (Or most colourful hair) is a nightmare for getting it everywhere especially when wet, so I'm really worried about going on holiday and going in pools/to the beach and stuff as the colour might go everywhere. I'd feel embarrassed if I got purple all over my skin/towels/in the pool/hotel/my clothes/etc. Also worried about it fading a lot and not really being able to dye it while away. Can anyone give me any tips for how to help any of this? Or name a good brand of dye that's good for not bleeding too much or fading?
I didn't have much of a choice in when my hair appointment was, if I could have timed it better (eg way before or after the holiday) I definitely would have!
I know I have to keep my hair super healthy and try not to wash it too much, shower in cold water, use dry shampoo, use purple conditioner, etc etc, but if anyone has any general tips for having purple hair it would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance

bohoho
Wallflower
Wallflower

Re: Purple Hair

Post by bohoho »

Mmm I dream to have this colour

melindalucy
Stalker
Stalker

Re: Purple Hair

Post by melindalucy »

Ynelle wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:02 am

So I'm getting the ends of my hair dyed purple soon for the first time (I have dark brown hair at the moment) but I go on holiday about 3 days after my hair appointment for a week. I know that purple hair (Or most colourful hair) is a nightmare for getting it everywhere especially when wet, so I'm really worried about going on holiday and going in pools/to the beach and stuff as the colour might go everywhere. I'd feel embarrassed if I got purple all over my skin/towels/in the pool/hotel/my clothes/etc. Also worried about it fading a lot and not really being able to dye it while away. Can anyone give me any tips for how to help any of this? Or name a good brand of dye that's good for not bleeding too much or fading?
I didn't have much of a choice in when my hair appointment was, if I could have timed it better (eg way before or after the holiday) I definitely would have!
I know I have to keep my hair super healthy and try not to wash it too much, shower in cold water, use dry shampoo, use purple conditioner, etc etc, but if anyone has any general tips for having purple hair it would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance
It depends on the color of your hair to start with.

If you're colouring purple over blonde hair, or hair that has been bleached blonde, it will fade to a very pale purple over time. The purple color in the hair will slowly leach out, helped along by shampooing, heat styling, that sort of thing. After enough time the vividness and hue of the purple color, will fade, leaving you with a rather muted, vaguely purplish shade on your hair. It may also be influenced by the other tones in the hair; my purple color was slightly blue-toned (think ultraviolet) rather than a warm purple, so I found my faded purple color to be slightly grey-tinged as well.

If you're colouring directly over brown or other dark hair, your hair will probably return to close to it's previous shade as the purple dye leaves your hair. The purple color won't be as vivid when your first dye it as opposed to coloring over blonde hair, but as the color leaves your hair you won't be left with a sort of lacklustre purple residue because it won't be enough to "show through" the existing dark color of your hair.

As always, this is just general advice, and I encourage you to discuss this with a stylist who can make specific recommendations based on your hair type.

Return to “Hair Care”