Kenna Whitwell / "A Biochemist's Perspective"

Rosie34567
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Kenna Whitwell / "A Biochemist's Perspective"

Post by Rosie34567 »

Does anyone watch her? She does vids about beauty products but "from a biochemist's perspective." I think she gained most of her subs after that Jaclyn Hill scandal with the lipsticks.

I used to like her because she seemed humble (and seemed qualified). However, when I googled her, she's 21 and had just graduated from undergrad when she started making vids...so, even though she technically has a degree and is "qualified", I think it's VERY misleading how she claims to be a "biochemist" (as if she's had years of experience in the field...and it sort of implies that she might have a graduate-level degree). :roll:

I find it a little sketchy how she won't recommend products (which I actually appreciate), BUT she has no problem mentioning her own skincare line. She also mentioned that she used to put essential oils in her own product line (which were known irritants) and only removed them after people asked her to...which makes me question why someone who is so "qualified" would make a skincare product like that to begin with?

SPF5000
Informer
Informer

Re: Kenna Whitwell / "A Biochemist's Perspective"

Post by SPF5000 »

I stopped watching when she started with that whole "science babe" angle...i find that term so cringe for some reason. My husband is a professor in molecular cell biology and genetics, and most of his female colleagues do not want to be "science babes", and are tired of being sexualized instead of people just taking them seriously and focusing on their research.

I had no idea that she is just 21 or around there. I thought shed be in her late 20's. I wonder if her uni program had some sort of practicum and she's using that as her "work experience" to make it seem as though she's more qualified than what she is. She makes it sound like she's an expert in the industry.

MakeupByNobody
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by MakeupByNobody »

Science Babes is soooo cringe. I am also really curious about gossip related to her leaving the company for her old skincare line, seems like there may be some bad blood there.

Also was anyone else surprised that she's engaged after dating that guy for four months? Not entirely judging, mainly surprised. Overall I like her, have also noticed some weird things that previous posters have mentioned and really hope she doesn't end up like all other beauty youtuber's shilling sponsored stuff... time will tell.

CloserTooClose
Learner
Learner

Post by CloserTooClose »

She's pregnant?! Explains the fast engagement.... seems like they're trying to do it by the books and get engaged, have the baby etc but it is suss that it all happened so so fast, especially given how young she is too!!!

Rosie34567
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Rosie34567 »

Omg yes the "Science Babes" thing is so cringey! It's similar to how people say "Girl Boss" since it adds a gender differentiation and makes it "cute", which defeats the point and kind of infantilizes/sexualizes women. Also I agree, they totally got engaged because she got pregnant...the timing of the announcements seems very calculated. I think she's currently around 22-23 yrs old now? Which is still much younger than how she tries to portray herself (late 20s).

(also I just realized I spelled her name wrong in the thread title LOL. It's Whitnell, not Whitwell....oops!)

SPF5000
Informer
Informer

Post by SPF5000 »

MakeupByNobody wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:10 am
Science Babes is soooo cringe. I am also really curious about gossip related to her leaving the company for her old skincare line, seems like there may be some bad blood there.

Also was anyone else surprised that she's engaged after dating that guy for four months? Not entirely judging, mainly surprised. Overall I like her, have also noticed some weird things that previous posters have mentioned and really hope she doesn't end up like all other beauty youtuber's shilling sponsored stuff... time will tell.
Only 4 months?? It looks like she's been pregnant for longer than that! Not that I have any personal experience with pregnancy(thankfully), just comparing what my friends looked like.

Rosie34567
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Rosie34567 »

A bit random, but imo she totally looks like Shailene Woodley. She also has a similar...quirkiness to her?

bubbles04
Lurker
Lurker

Post by bubbles04 »

I was wanting to comment on her for a long time but was never able to do it. I used to like her initially when she did the Jaclyn Hill lipstick drama videos but then as time passed on, I found it her a bit conflicting. For instance, in her "What's on my bookshelf" video, she has tons of books on aromatherapy and astrology. Nothing wrong with it (I love astrology too) but I found it interesting that she comes from a science background (and science does not believe in astrology) yet her tastes are more like the holistic or herbal practitioners.

The most weird thing I felt was her break up with Atilus Beauty and she seemed so sad in the video. She posted some stories of how 2019 was such a hard and difficult year for her but come 2020, she announced shes engaged to a guy she met 4 months ago which I found so suspicious. And now shes pregnant but she looks like shes 4-5 months pregnant so I'm guessing she got pregnant since she started dating him.

She gives me a weird vibe now because she tried hard to portray herself as someone who is an expert and mature (I felt she was in her late twenties) but her actions dont seem to align with that.

Rosie34567
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Rosie34567 »

bubbles04 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:09 pm
she comes from a science background (and science does not believe in astrology) yet her tastes are more like the holistic or herbal practitioners.
Agree! That's fine if she likes the whole organic/"natural"/holistic/alternative stuff. But let's be real, it often conflicts with actual science and/or there is usually no scientific data to really back any of it up. It's kind of problematic because she really pushes the whole "biochemist's perspective," when it's often just...her opinion.

Also I really get the feeling that she basically googles ingredients and memorizes the definitions, and then regurgitates the info in her vids to make it seem like she knows what she's talking about.

CloserTooClose
Learner
Learner

Post by CloserTooClose »

She gets weirder and weirder each video... for some reason, her fiance not wanting to be online feels so odd to me, makes me wonder if maybe she used a surrogate or something. Did anyone else feel her weird vibes in her pregnancy videos??

Nelehrr
Debater
Debater

Post by Nelehrr »

I don't want to be a hater but I've been getting more and more red flags from her lately.

First she was trying to capitalize on her quick rise to YouTube fame by trying to upload everyday.
Then she disappeared for a bit.
While she was gone she sold her company (kind of seems like she was forced into somehow based on side remarks she has made recently).
Has been going through a depression recently but around the same time got into a new relationship.
She got engaged and is pregnant right around the same time.
Finally, her fiancee is Argentinean - nothing against that. I know Toronto is a melting pot so maybe it's nothing, but could he be with her for citizenship? Just speculation but based on all the other strange stuff, the timing is just off to me.
I also found it weird that he didn't want his face in the video - why post a video with him then if he wants to maintain his privacy?

Just my thoughts

Rosie34567
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Rosie34567 »

CloserTooClose wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:19 am
She gets weirder and weirder each video... for some reason, her fiance not wanting to be online feels so odd to me, makes me wonder if maybe she used a surrogate or something. Did anyone else feel her weird vibes in her pregnancy videos??
Agree, she seems a little weird. She does have some annoying/unusual mannerisms...like she's constantly sighing, looks distracted, and sometimes I can't tell whether she's in a good mood or a bad mood haha...sometimes she just looks annoyed.
Last edited by Rosie34567 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosie34567
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Rosie34567 »

Is youtube her "job" now? Because I find that weird how her filming set up is thrown-together in random parts of the house and it looks like she doesn't put much effort into it.

I'm also VERY curious as to her/her fiance's financial situation....She accidentally gets pregnant with some random guy (I'm speculating here) and all of a sudden she's moving into a townhouse with multiple bedrooms (in an expensive city), has a ton of new makeup, and is buying skincare products for the channel, etc? All while she's seemingly unemployed? I'm guessing her fiance probably makes a pretty good income...or maybe the parents chipped in...

Nelehrr
Debater
Debater

Post by Nelehrr »

$35 for deodorant you have to make yourself? Sure, I can see the startup ingredients costing that much to diy, but being enough material make multiple sticks of deodorant, not one tiny tube.

I am also interested in her financials. Especially because she mentioned her startup costing $100,000 when she is in her early 20's. And presumably her target audience is also in their 20's and can afford $35 deodorant.

bubbles04
Lurker
Lurker

Post by bubbles04 »

Rosie34567 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:42 pm
Is youtube her "job" now? Because I find that weird how her filming set up is thrown-together in random parts of the house and it looks like she doesn't put much effort into it.

I'm also VERY curious as to her/her fiance's financial situation....She accidentally gets pregnant with some random guy (I'm speculating here) and all of a sudden she's moving into a townhouse with multiple bedrooms (in an expensive city), has a ton of new makeup, and is buying skincare products for the channel, etc? All while she's seemingly unemployed? I'm guessing her fiance probably makes a pretty good income...or maybe the parents chipped in...
Hes probably very wealthy. That's how shes affording makeup, skincare etc. Earlier she only had 2 foundations, 1 lipstick and 1 mascara in her makeup routine for hot climates. Her skincare was also her own.
Kinda seems like she met this super rich guy and went along the lines on how to keep him permanently for the money. Really shady thing to do if that's what she did but I find it odd that it was such a coincidence that she met someone and got pregnant immediately. Or she hooked up and got pregnant, is against abortions and is now forced to keep the baby and hence now convinced the guy to stay in her life ???

bubbles04
Lurker
Lurker

Post by bubbles04 »

Nelehrr wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:15 pm
I don't want to be a hater but I've been getting more and more red flags from her lately.

First she was trying to capitalize on her quick rise to YouTube fame by trying to upload everyday.
Then she disappeared for a bit.
While she was gone she sold her company (kind of seems like she was forced into somehow based on side remarks she has made recently).
Has been going through a depression recently but around the same time got into a new relationship.
She got engaged and is pregnant right around the same time.
Finally, her fiancee is Argentinean - nothing against that. I know Toronto is a melting pot so maybe it's nothing, but could he be with her for citizenship? Just speculation but based on all the other strange stuff, the timing is just off to me.
I also found it weird that he didn't want his face in the video - why post a video with him then if he wants to maintain his privacy?

Just my thoughts
She doesnt get many views either. Now her views are limited to 5k to 10k.

MakeupByNobody
Learner
Learner

Post by MakeupByNobody »

I'm so intrigued to see how her YouTube "life"/"brand" will play out. Agree that things seem fishy/strange and am curious if more and more red flags will pop up. Hmmm.....

Nelehrr
Debater
Debater

Post by Nelehrr »

Her live stream was so boring. I've been playing a bunch of YouTubers lives in the background while I'm doing stuff. Hers have so many long drawn out pauses I thought there was a problem with my speakers.

The only interesting thing she said was that someone asked her age and she said she had mentioned it once in a video but wasn't going to say it again. I think she doesn't want the scrutiny.

Also, she is starting a new business with hubby, coming in 2021.

I think her content has gotten boring. She is trying to be a beauty guru/possible mommy vlogger while simultaneously trying to rise above that crowd with her scientific knowledge. Her most viewed content was the Jaclyn Hill analysis. If she wants to keep getting views I think her best bet would be more investigative type content.

Rosie34567
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Rosie34567 »

Lmao people are calling her out in the comments for spreading false/unproven info on Salicylic Acid. :rofl:

Glad people are finally catching on that she’s not actually that qualified and often doesn't base her opinions on actual science.

DrowningInMelancholy
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by DrowningInMelancholy »

I understand that this is a trash thread but it doesn't seem like she's done anything outrageously offensive. The Science Babe term doesn't bother me, if that's the way she portrays herself, and idk I do think she's become more guru-esque but just because she's a scientist doesn't mean she isn't a multi-faceted person

Return to “K-O”