Emma "everything is going down" Hill Rant Thread #2

sellbydate
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Emma "everything is going down" Hill Rant Thread #2

Post by sellbydate »

I also find it sad. It's hard to talk about this lack of culture without sounding elitist, and not everybody has to love museums and reading (although I privately find it crazy that she seems to lead a completely book-less life). And yet fashion is also a part of culture, and to genuinely engage with it you also have to know some cultural and historical reference points.
If she had any deeper interest in fashion, she would at least read up on art or design history - but that's just it, her interest in fashion is completely vapid and consumerist. I guess that's why I find her ignorance so grating. It doesn't even occur to her that there might be more to fashion than whatever banalities she associates with it.

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

sellbydate wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:21 am
I also find it sad. It's hard to talk about this lack of culture without sounding elitist, and not everybody has to love museums and reading (although I privately find it crazy that she seems to lead a completely book-less life). And yet fashion is also a part of culture, and to genuinely engage with it you also have to know some cultural and historical reference points.
If she had any deeper interest in fashion, she would at least read up on art or design history - but that's just it, her interest in fashion is completely vapid and consumerist. I guess that's why I find her ignorance so grating. It doesn't even occur to her that there might be more to fashion than whatever banalities she associates with it.
You are right I didn't even notice it, she never really mentions anything historical or even a technical interest in fashion. Like you said it is hard to not sound elitist but it is unusual. I feel like fashion bloggers will at least touch a little bit on historical significance or find interest in the process of creating something etc even if it is a fleeting interest or only mentioned bc part of a brand promotion but at least they will touch on it. I feel like the history is a big part of fashion, and she is very much into the acquiring new things part of fashion.

meowmeowbeans
Talker
Talker

Post by meowmeowbeans »

Regardless of her interest in culture/history/fashion, I don't think it would be elitist to point out that Emma just has no curiosity. She doesn't feel compelled to look into anything beyond the surface level or what her job requires, and this includes her current sustainability bandwagon. I will bet my left pinky toe that the carbon offset site she showed in her vlog was just the first result that came up in her Google search. I also have a sneaking suspicion that she is more than a little bit xenophobic. She doesn't try new things, new foods (for example, she "discovered" soy sauce after her trip to Japan THIS YEAR.. jfc...), can't be bothered to look up how to pronounce words that aren't in English, and despite living in a world class city, doesn't seem to know anyone of a different race. I will grant that at least she and Simon are going to Canada, and as far as I know, there is no Disneyland to be found there. But it is also a place filled with people who look like her, speak her language, and where she won't be forced to eat anything that wouldn't be on the kid's menu at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Post by Guest »

She's doing her wardrobe switch-over now. It's the 3rd one this year, I think. :?

Firstly, I'm watching on my phone and it won't let me speed up the video to 2x speed for some reason, so I'm watching her for the first time speak and move at her actual speed. I hadn't realized how slowly she speaks and how she seems to draw out her words, almost as though she's still thinking about the sentence as she's saying it. :? It's all sooo slow. I suppose she needs to articulate so that all her viewers from other countries can easily understand, but still...so, so slow that it makes one want to give up on the video.

Secondly, I cannot understand how, as she edits and watches back the videos with Simon, she doesn't see that she owns far too many things.
She literally has a rack filled to bursting with blazers- a lot of them nearly identical. The same goes for any other section of her wardrobe: striped tops, knitwear, jeans jeans jeans jeans, and who the hell needs that many coats?! I'm English and I only own 2 coats and 1 lightweight raincoat, so she can't say it's about the terrible English weather. A single good quality coat will last years.
We've said all this before, I know, but I wonder why she cannot see it's too much, particularly as she has the privilege of watching herself on-screen surrounded by piles and piles of stuff.
She suffers from anxiety but hasn't stopped to consider that this may be the source of her anxiety. That amount of stuff accumulated and having to be sorted through and packed away so often is overwhelming! She's wasting a full day every few months just putting stuff on the rails and putting other stuff into boxes! :? What a fucking waste of your day!
I'm not against abundance at all, but there comes a point where you own so much more than you can use and you're just hoarding.
If she insists of keeping her channel specific to shopping every new collection that comes out, and will continue to have an influx of items delivered to her weekly, then she should donate everything older that she owns instead of stuffing it into storage boxes in her office.
Clothes are meant to be worn and used, enjoyed even, not used twice then packed away.

I stand by what I said in one of my previous posts: she should either do a complete no-buy and show her followers how she's making multiple outfits out of what she already owns (if she created a capsule wardrobe every season, she'd still be able to get years of content from the amount that she already owns). This doesn't necessarily have to cut her income at all, she could get other sponsors and different gigs from varying up her content.
Or, as I said above, she should donate the excess every few months instead of packing it away. I know she says she donates and sells some but, look at the sheer quantity she returns to her storage boxes and spare wardrobes! What she's currently donating isn't enough.
If she kept only the special pieces or only the new season (whatever she's currently being paid to promote) and let the rest go, she would free up so much space in her home, as well as in her head.
I really do think this is a cycle that is fueling her anxiety: she shops when she's anxious, she gets a dopamine rush from the new items, she has to sort through and pack away the excess, she becomes anxious from the sheer volume of stuff she's surrounded with, she returns to shopping to resolve that anxiety. On and on and on.

Sorry for the length of this rant but every time she does a wardrobe switch-over, I become overwhelmed just watching it.

Toothfairy
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Toothfairy »

So the outfit for the flight to Canada consists of jeans! Something she said she never wears on long haul flights during her travel outfits video. This is something that drives me crazy. The inconsistencies are all too often. I just don’t understand how you can forget what you’ve said you do in previous videos/blogs/vlogs. She makes out she does things a certain way and then appears to completely forget that and do the opposite. If she were to read this she’d probably say she changed during the flight!!! It’s all BS!

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

The fact that her rails are bending under the weight of her clothes should be a clear sign she has too much.

Also complaining about pre filming gets no sympathy from me normal people have to work extra before going on vacation, or have to catch up when they get back. Or at the very least they don't get whole days off before hand to pack and clean out their wardrobe.
Last edited by drasticactions on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

meowmeowbeans
Talker
Talker

Post by meowmeowbeans »

Aaaaaand her very first stop in Canada is Buffalo Wild Wings. Shaking my damn head over here...

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

Her Stories at Heathrow ..at Simon: "excuse me, some of us are trying to be sustainable!"
:roll: :roll: :roll:

meowmeowbeans
Talker
Talker

Post by meowmeowbeans »

Squishypotato wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:57 am
Her Stories at Heathrow ..at Simon: "excuse me, some of us are trying to be sustainable!"
Jeez. And the bit about carbon offsetting that enormous car! Try packing a little less, maybe? For Emma, it's like a tree falling in the woods... if her attempts at sustainability don't involve a lot of virtue signaling on SM, did it even happen?

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

meowmeowbeans wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:05 pm
Squishypotato wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:57 am
Jeez. And the bit about carbon offsetting that enormous car! Try packing a little less, maybe? For Emma, it's like a tree falling in the woods... if her attempts at sustainability don't involve a lot of virtue signaling on SM, did it even happen?
Honestly compared to the emissions from their overseas flight whatever driving they are doing with that jeep will be miniscule in comparison. I compared a two hour flight on one of those emission trackers compared to the two days (to drive to the same location) and driving my not very efficient car, it was huge. A plane puts out so much more in terms of emissions compared to a car. There is no real other way to get around Alberta so I don't know why she even mentioned it? Should we go berate her for not biking around Canada?

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

I missed this in her videos/updates....is she also gluten intolerant In addition to being dairy intolerant? It's just that I can't imagine all the fast food they will likely have will be gluten free/dairy free/Emma friendly, unless the rules somehow don't apply in Canada.

Post by Guest »

^ Good question. Did she ever say what the allergy test results were?

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

I have to say their trip to Canada looks lovely.

Post by Guest »

^ Yup! I'm loving her stories and the gorgeous scenery she's showing! So glad she's actually updating her stories regularly during the trip. It looks like a wonderful holiday! :tu:

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

...and then a vlog is uploaded and it is the same old boring stuff: staples. Jumper, jeans, blazer, trainer, ankle boot....we already know all of this Emma. And I have all of those items, I get the staple principle, I live by it myself. I do not need you to tell me this 4 times per year though, it is boring.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

faceface wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:08 pm
...and then a vlog is uploaded and it is the same old boring stuff: staples. Jumper, jeans, blazer, trainer, ankle boot....we already know all of this Emma. And I have all of those items, I get the staple principle, I live by it myself. I do not need you to tell me this 4 times per year though, it is boring.
I thought you were joking,and then I saw her "autumn must haves" video come up on my feed! :rofl:
At least (hopefully) there'll be some travel content coming up, the places they went to looked amazing on Stories..
I hope this break gives her a bit of a reset with her content.

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

So she posts in stories about her new favourite soda, that is is caffeine free. Yes sure Emma, let's just overlook the 'made with real cane sugar' on the label. How are those food intolerances going?

Toothfairy
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Toothfairy »

Just starting to notice the results of the Botox. It’s like she has lost her chin. I don’t think it’s had the desired effect she was hoping for. In the latest video you really see something has changed in her face. I wonder if she happy with the results.

meowmeowbeans
Talker
Talker

Post by meowmeowbeans »

Do you think her chin is due to the Botox? Genuine question, as I know next to nothing about Botox :D

I always suspected that they started using a different camera for her fashion videos, as she has looked off for the past 6 months or so. I do think she's gained a little weight, but that can't be the whole story because her IG photos still look pretty flattering, and she looks fine in her vlogs. Anything taken with an iPhone will make you look slimmer, and that definitely isn't what they use to shoot her fashion content. Maybe nicer video equipment doesn't necessarily make you look better? For instance, I think she looks really bad in those M&S adverts. It's like the camera has squashed all the depth so her facial features and body look really wide.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

meowmeowbeans wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:38 pm
Do you think her chin is due to the Botox? Genuine question, as I know next to nothing about Botox :D

I always suspected that they started using a different camera for her fashion videos, as she has looked off for the past 6 months or so. I do think she's gained a little weight, but that can't be the whole story because her IG photos still look pretty flattering, and she looks fine in her vlogs. Anything taken with an iPhone will make you look slimmer, and that definitely isn't what they use to shoot her fashion content. Maybe nicer video equipment doesn't necessarily make you look better? For instance, I think she looks really bad in those M&S adverts. It's like the camera has squashed all the depth so her facial features and body look really wide.
Yeah the M&S IGTV made her look so pale and squashed! But yes I also have noticed the chin weirdness (no shade, as I have many chins myself haha). It somehow seems less defined,and I think the forehead wrinkles she was worried about seem to have gone. But the "deeper" lines on her face seem more pronounced with all the weird grimaces she pulls all the time now.
Maybe it's Botox, maybe it's camera equipment... I still have no idea how making weird faces at the camera is supposed to make her relatable!

Return to “Abhorred Bloggers”