How to break the news?

shredsofvanity
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to break the news?

Post by shredsofvanity »

I really hope someone sees this and replies.

I just recently found out I'm pregnant. But I'll put some background info.

I'm turning 20 in a month, I've been with my boyfriend for 5 and a half years now and we're pretty stable. I currently live with my father, my step-mother, my 12 year old brother and my new baby half brother who is about to be 5 months. My dad only remarried about a year ago. My mother is still in the picture and she's my best friend. I just finished school to become a nursing aid and I have a job, I am on orientation/trial but everything is going great. I eventually planned on going back to college, finishing my prereqs (I'm almost done with) and applying to the Nursing program to become an RN.

My boyfriend will be in his last year of college, he's 22 and a Music Major. Next spring semester, he will be doing student teaching and then graduate and will hopefully have a full time job as a teacher by next year. So it's not exactly like we'll be teenage parents but our financial status isn't exactly ideal. I really only live with my dad because I've been sheltered and babied by my parents my whole life but now I'm not sure what to do.

I don't know how I'll tell my parents, I don't know how they'll react. At the end of the day, I fully intend to deal with the consequences of what I have gotten myself into. I think the situation is even stranger because my dad just had his kid not too long ago. So I fear he'll be extremely disappointed and kick me out right away - which wouldn't be the end of the world, my boyfriend has his own apartment and I always stay there.

If anyone has any advice, id really appreciate it. I just don't know what to do in regards to my parents and I'm terrified.
Mama to Caleb and Sebastian. <3

delicatepearl
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to break the news?

Post by delicatepearl »

It seems to me that other than wanting to go back to school to become an RN (which you still can do, it will just be put on hold for a while) you are pretty stable with your life. I don't see any reason why your parents would be disappointed in you. You are 20 years old, which is still young, but not unforgivably young. You and your boyfriend have been together for 5 years, so it's not like its someone you barely know yet, or a one night stand. As long as you're both mentally and financially able to care for this child, you are fine!

Just sit down with them and let them know you have something to tell them. And go for it. That's the easiest way. They're your parents and they'll love you no matter what.

Congratulations! I wish you the best of luck :love2:

Return to “Pregnancy”