Opinions on "Replica" handbags

champagneblonde
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Opinions on "Replica" handbags

Post by champagneblonde »

What do you guys think about designer inspired/ fake/ replica purses?

cece_observer
Learner
Learner

Re: Opinions on "Replica" handbags

Post by cece_observer »

Fine as long as you don't try and pass them off as real ;)

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

I think there's a line that can very easily be crossed. Obviously the real fakes are not okay in any way, but I think there's a line for inspiration as well.

The ones that are inspired but not 100% similar don't bother me, really, but once they get too close to the real deal, I find it super tacky. Both when it comes to the people carrying them (although to be fair, some people may not even know) and the companies that make them.

Lately I've been seeing a ton of girls carrying bags that are extremely similar to the Stella McCartney Falabella bag but made from obviously cheaper materials. It always kinda bothers me.

Coffee
Informer
Informer

Post by Coffee »

I may sound like a spoiled brat when I say this, but I really dislike fake bags. All the designer bags that I own are authentic and I would never buy a fake bag, even if it means paying less

I'd rather see someone with a designer inspired bag than a replica, but as Pastel Rage said, some designers tend to make their bags so similar to the expensive ones to the point that it's ridiculous!

eevee
Informer
Informer

Post by eevee »

I agree with the above posters. Replicas of Pradas and Givenchy's bother me, I agree that it's tacky. If you can afford a $200 fake why not buy a $200 real MK? Another thing...MK and CK and other cheaper yet still upscale designers seem to be copying some of the more expensive brands and THAT really bothers me as well. For example:

Prada Saffiano Double Zip: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Prada-Saffi ... hgodj-cKeg

MK Saffiano Satchel: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/MICHAEL-Mic ... hgodL4ALig

Don't they look really similar? Bothers me :x

mangotemptation99
Learner
Learner

Post by mangotemptation99 »

I really can't stand replicas at all.

vanessav
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by vanessav »

I think the whole thing has worse implications than it looks. It's not just ripping off someone's hard work, it's also putting money into criminals' hands. I have read somewhere that the people behind replicas are the same ones that are involved into human trafficking etc. :x

angelaj
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by angelaj »

Replica is much cheaper than the original one but if you want quality always go for the original branded handbags.

Nance
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Nance »

I have one fake bag, the Sailor Moon Artemis purse, originally design by Samantha Vega:

I buy it 25$ on Amazon and I wear it like 3 times this summer, the buckle of the strap is broken, so I can't put heavy stuffs in it (just a wallet and lipstick) or the strap fall, I will ask a cobbler to sew it next spring, but the bag is not super practical.

I have 2 others leather bags (around 150-350$), one large, one small, that I use all the time (mostly the small one) and they are as good as brand new, don't plan of buying another bag.

I think I wanted the Sailor Moon bag for nostalgia, I didn't care if it was a cheap knockoff.

Nance
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Nance »

Teddy Blake also copy every good design: Hermes Birkin, Hermes Kelly, Hermes Tote, Chanel Flap, Prada Antigona...

They send a lot of PR to youtubers, some disclose this is copy, while some say that they didn't know (Thrifty Beauty...) which I'm pretty doubtful. I don't mind they got a free bag and want to give a positive reviews, but at least do some research and don't be an hypocrite. The main problem I have with Teddy Blake is that apparently they give their best bags to influencers and care less about those who paid for the bag. People can return it, but it can be difficult and apparently, they don't even have a phone number for customer service.

swt_decadent
Learner
Learner

Post by swt_decadent »

I don't have problem with inspired bag most of the time unless they took it to the next level. Michael Kors is one brand that I dislike for blatantly copying high end designer brand and just stamping his name on it. Almost all his bag are inspired by LV, Prada, etc. They guy do not have originality at all. I hate fake bags because of what it represent (child labor, terrorism, etc.) so I don't buy it. If I can't afford the real designer bag then I'd rather buy an inspired bag.

ayeshashahs
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by ayeshashahs »

If you cant afford it then dont fake it is how I feel

Puptatochan
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Puptatochan »

Personally, I don't get why a piece of clothing should cost $300-$1000. I can honestly care less if someone wearing something that's fake or a dupe. As long as it looks cute and good quality, idc. I think if anything it's rather classist for designers to make their clothes and handbags only available for upper middle class women. I am conflicted at the same time because, yes, designers are spending their time and creativity going into their bags and making sure they're good quality. And would I spend $1000 on a LV bag if my mother asked me to? Hell yes. But again there is that gatekeeping aspect that still makes me go "to hell with buying an overpriced bag, I'll buy a dupe. Who cares"

moulinmillion
Informer
Informer

Post by moulinmillion »

Why not just buy pre loved bags instead?

gossip-girl
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by gossip-girl »

Honestly, I think it's alright like having a designer that's fake or a "replica" is fine I'm pretty sure I've had at least one but passing it off like its real that's when I find it to be just plain old stupid and dishonest which I hate dishonest people. :roll:

angelfoodcake
Lurker
Lurker

Post by angelfoodcake »

moulinmillion wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:39 am
Why not just buy pre loved bags instead?
I agree there are lots of gorgeous bags in great condition on ebay or thrift stores if you are in a larger city. That's where I get some of my bags. I think you get a lot more love for a product if you kinda hunt for a gorgeous one for a good deal instead of paying for a cheapie replica with poor materials

Selia11
Debater
Debater

Post by Selia11 »

I had a fake gucci bag and when people asked me about it I just told them that it was a replica. I prefer to buy reasonably priced still good quality bags but I’d love to have a hermès bag in my closet one day!

dewdrop1
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by dewdrop1 »

Personally, I'd go for something unbranded within my budget rather than going for a replica.

Return to “Fashion Discussion”