Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Emma "everything is going down" Hill Rant Thread #2

Post by Squishypotato »

sellbydate wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:59 am
melindagomez wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:22 pm
Emma gets all of her self worth from buying things, especially designer. Her voice gets giddy when she mentions expensive brands like Yves St. Laurent or Burberry. She has enough clothes, shoes and bags to last her a lifetime. She should try not buying anything new for a year before she's even allowed to say the words sustainable or ethical let alone try to ever represent herself in that way in the slightest.
Exactly. And she's not a savvy shopper either - for all the time she spends doing it, you'd think she'd be better at it. Case in point: her handbag collection video. I'd say 80% of her bags she either doesn't like anymore, never liked, doesn't use for some reason or other, or has a useless back-up of. First she buys a chloe bag that is an impractical colour (so she never researched it?), then she buys the same bag in another colour, but this bag she also doesn't use. Ok...
It just seems pathological to me, there's no logic to it. Why isn't she able to understand which bags she actually uses? Oh yeah, because she just buys stuff to buy it, no other reason for it.
And don't get me started on the fact that Simon apparently bought her a new designer bag every few months during the beginning of their marriage. I find that deeply weird. Where does he have the money for that and how is that a sensible use for it? It boggles the mind.
Not surprised that there are many things she doesn't use, just from the sheer number of everything she has!
She just can't help herself (e.g. relatively recent NAP haul of 2-3 Castaner wedges, that trendy by far bag etc) as she needs to stay "on trend" for her "job" selling things to her followers.
Not sure why she doesn't sell or give away some things, as she's clearly never going to use them (e.g.that YSL clutch, the Simon Miller bags etc)...let's face it she's not going to use them for content now because they arent trendy,nor do they fit her current "vintage" schtick she's trying to push. And regardless of how much she tries to pretend she only goes for classic things that fit her "personal style", that's not true, based on the great number of trend items she's bought recently (everything fits her personal style then!)...I hope she isn't hoarding these things so people think she's luxe

meowmeowbeans
Talker
Talker

Post by meowmeowbeans »

Squishypotato wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:09 pm
Not sure why she doesn't sell or give away some things, as she's clearly never going to use them (e.g.that YSL clutch, the Simon Miller bags etc)...let's face it she's not going to use them for content now because they arent trendy,nor do they fit her current "vintage" schtick she's trying to push. And regardless of how much she tries to pretend she only goes for classic things that fit her "personal style", that's not true, based on the great number of trend items she's bought recently (everything fits her personal style then!)...I hope she isn't hoarding these things so people think she's luxe
She actually does sell her things on Depop: https://www.depop.com/ejstyle/. Despite listing SO much stuff on there, it probably doesn't even make a dent in her closet. Also, there are so many items that look nearly identical, it's hard to even tell where you are on the page. Towards the bottom of the page there are shoes that look almost the same as ones at the top. Even if she tries to justify hoarding clothes for her job, why would she possibly need 3 identical leopard print blouses or 4 cream-colored blazers?? She's stuck in a cycle of buying the same things over and over.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

I know, exactly! At one point in the past she had a huge denim clear out and it was just a succession of indistinguishable items. The worst part is after selling them off she'll just buy new(sorry, vintage) ones to replace them. Case in point she bought anothee terracotta blazer a few months ago, cos she had one last yr and apparently gave it away. Sigh.

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

Let's go for a hypothetical situation: Emma stops buying for let's say, three months. And I mean: not buying ANYTHING. No clothes, no bags, no shoes, no skincare and make-up, no homewares, nothing. Just grocery shopping and wearing what she has, using the make-up that is there already and finishing up all of the skincare. Not using excuses like special occasions 'oooh it is my birthday month'. And also: not accepting ANY gifts from brands.

Here is my point: what would she then vlog/blog/Instagram about?

Nothing. Because there is nothing else.

No hobbies, no cultural outings, no interesting people to hang out with, nothing new she might be studying or learning about. It would be 3 whole months of an empty YouTube channel and an empty grid, unless she would actually use those three months to expand her horizon...which would be a great thing for her AND her content.

I am no stranger to random shopping, I can tell I am not in the best of places in other areas of my life merely by looking at my spending pattern and online behaviour: there have been days in the past I was glued to all the online shopping websites. It is a sign something is wrong and it is a good thing if you are able to acknowledge that. Some people cope with stresses by shopping, others overeat or drink. I do think Emma copes with whatever is going on in her mind/life with excessive shopping and the people around her, both in real life and online, think it is normal in her case and not something to worry about because she does in under the guise of it being her JOB.

Post by Guest »

Today's blazer video sums up Emma as a person. The same old tripe, day in, day out. Her content is the epitome of the adage 'Money for old rope'.

I don't think she has a shopping addiction, though I can understand why so many of you seem to think so. I think faceface (post above)is more accurate in saying Emma would have zero content if she didn't shop. I also strongly believe that many people really do participate in 'retail therapy' to deal with stress in their lives. I've done it in the past but know better now.

I said this in the Sarah's Day thread a while ago but I still strongly believe in it. Influencers need to stop accepting PR gifts. Part of Emma's abundance comes in the form of #gifted items, but she's not obligated to accept these items. She could stipulate to brands that she doesn't want to be sent PR items until she researches the brand/product and is sure that this is in line with her messaging.
To be fair to Emma (unlike Sarah's Day), she does seem to accept items that are true to her style and channel theme, rather than just accepting anything and everything. However, she could still practice being selective from this point on, particularly as she's pushing this 'sustainability' drive.

She could literally say to brands, 'I'll showcase your latest collection but I will not be keeping any of it'. She could then disclose at the top of her videos that she will not be keeping the items she's showing as she already owns too much, but is showcasing them in case viewers would like to purchase and want her informed opinion on quality/ styling options etc. Bonus points if she were to return the items in-store instead of shipping them halfway around the world. Alternatively, if she were to donate all the gifted items to something like 'Dress for Success' where her blazers would be perfect for those returning to the job market, it would really be paying it forward and would set an excellent example to her followers.

She'd gain a lot more clout for her sustainability efforts that way and she'd reduce the ridiculous influx of items cluttering up her home! I think her followers would respect her a hell of a lot more if she were to declare she's going on a no-buy but will continue to film as per her usual schedule just to keep everyone informed on 'this season's must-have items'.

I suggest this as an easier alternative to branching out and expanding her channel beyond what it currently is, because, aside from her botox experience, I can't see Emma trying out anything new. She seems content in her rather small bubble. So, this would be a happy medium between doing what she's comfortable doing and continually, needlessly, irritatingly adding more stuff her life just because.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

^Another blazer video? Havent watched but will catch up on my commute this week lol.
I think those are great suggestions @2xblended. Hopefully she (or her management) catch wind of them....who knows we may see some of your suggestions implemented! They would be much easier for her to do (and less of an ask) than say, showing us non shopping related content e.g. hobbies, lifestyle etc as others have suggested.

Post by Guest »

Squishypotato wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:18 am
^Another blazer video? Havent watched but will catch up on my commute this week lol.
I think those are great suggestions @2xblended. Hopefully she (or her management) catch wind of them....who knows we may see some of your suggestions implemented! They would be much easier for her to do (and less of an ask) than say, showing us non shopping related content e.g. hobbies, lifestyle etc as others have suggested.
Yep: My Autumn Winter Blazer Wardrobe. You can't make this stuff up :rofl:

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

2xblended wrote:
Squishypotato wrote: ^Another blazer video? Havent watched but will catch up on my commute this week lol.
Yep: My Autumn Winter Blazer Wardrobe. You can't make this stuff up :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The time is also ripe for another "so you guys have been asking for an updated denim collection" video
LOL at the thumbnail, the pictures on either side are near identical, except I'm sure the jeans will have some unnoticeable. but ESSENTIAL difference!*

*I'm being facetious, but also, this probably wouldn't be too far off the mark

Post by Guest »

:rofl:
Well, if anyone could create 20 minute!!! videos about near identical blazers and jeans, it would be our Emma! :rofl:
And of course, the bi-annual wardrobe switch over is due! She actually said in this video that it's almost time for that closet clearout/ switch over video. It's riveting content. Really! :P
I swear she's just recycling the same content every 3 months or so and hoping nobody will notice. I don't know how she isn't bored to tears!

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

Placing bets on a 'my fall and winter jumper collection'.

melindagomez
Informer
Informer

Post by melindagomez »

The blazer video killed me. We all know she likes a big shapeless oversized blazer. Seeing so many variations of the same thing made me realize, there are so many different styles of blazers out there. I have one that is cropped, one that is fitted, one that is double-breasted with big gold buttons etc. Emma has found the same exact blazer from 10 different companies with slightly different patterns. Branch out with your silhouette one time maybe.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

Screenshot_20190910-091808_Instagram.jpg
This comment perplexed me. I think it was an entirely expected comment, given that the M&S IGTV was about tailoring, and in it she did talk about work wear and changing up the footwear with pumps etc.
It may not have been her choice to film the whole segment wearing her outfit of sneakers, oversized tee and cropped pants (who are we kidding that's her uniform personal style) but she could have just said something neutral like thanks for the suggestion, or check out my other videos for work wear styling etc..
(pretty sure she has done a video on that).

She seems to have been nicer (nice-ish!less snippy) in IG comments recently so I found this a bit snarky.
Maybe I'm just nitpicking. Haha.

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by Guest »

It's a polite reply, really, but it's unnecessary- which, perhaps, is why it seems snarky to you.
She should have just said "Thanks, I'll make sure to include different footwear in my next video". That would have been just as easy as justifying her choice to wear trainers.
And she certainly owns plenty of other styles of shoes! I recall her last closet clear out she had boxes filled with shoes, as well as shelves filled with shoes. No reason she can't wear some of them whilst filming, particularly if her followers would find it helpful. That is her job after all, styling outfits to 'inspire' people in the real world.
Which makes it all the more laughable that she wears this uniform all the time; how are you a style blogger and influencer when you literally can't come up with an outfit outside of that uniform?

meowmeowbeans
Talker
Talker

Post by meowmeowbeans »

Guys, guys: it's not a uniform, it's a signature style. Anytime anyone wears jeans, a t-shirt, and a blazer, they owe it to her, because #emmahillmademedoit. :roll:

sellbydate
Lurker
Lurker

Post by sellbydate »

I think she's actually pretty insecure when it comes to styling clothes. I think she buys stuff that she thinks she's going to wear or make work and then doesn't because it's not her usual jeans/t-shirt/blazer yawn-fest. That's why for me she fundamentally fails at being a style blogger: she doesn't actually know how to make things look good or how to branch out of her very basic outfit formula. She just copies what other, more stylish people put forward; left to her own devices she wouldn't have a clue.

Her fanbase also seems to be largely (at least judging by her youtube comments) middle-aged women befuddled by the fashion of the day, who are grateful they have found someone who is accessible and somewhat easy to emulate. And there's nothing wrong with that - it's a niche she has found - but I don't think it quite reflects who Emma thinks she is or wants to be. It's def not on-trend-fashion blogger, more like on trend for people who don't know what on trend is and who aren't really ambitious to dig more into it.

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

2xblended wrote: Today's blazer video sums up Emma as a person. The same old tripe, day in, day out. Her content is the epitome of the adage 'Money for old rope'.

I don't think she has a shopping addiction, though I can understand why so many of you seem to think so. I think faceface (post above)is more accurate in saying Emma would have zero content if she didn't shop. I also strongly believe that many people really do participate in 'retail therapy' to deal with stress in their lives. I've done it in the past but know better now.

I said this in the Sarah's Day thread a while ago but I still strongly believe in it. Influencers need to stop accepting PR gifts. Part of Emma's abundance comes in the form of #gifted items, but she's not obligated to accept these items. She could stipulate to brands that she doesn't want to be sent PR items until she researches the brand/product and is sure that this is in line with her messaging.
To be fair to Emma (unlike Sarah's Day), she does seem to accept items that are true to her style and channel theme, rather than just accepting anything and everything. However, she could still practice being selective from this point on, particularly as she's pushing this 'sustainability' drive.

She could literally say to brands, 'I'll showcase your latest collection but I will not be keeping any of it'. She could then disclose at the top of her videos that she will not be keeping the items she's showing as she already owns too much, but is showcasing them in case viewers would like to purchase and want her informed opinion on quality/ styling options etc. Bonus points if she were to return the items in-store instead of shipping them halfway around the world. Alternatively, if she were to donate all the gifted items to something like 'Dress for Success' where her blazers would be perfect for those returning to the job market, it would really be paying it forward and would set an excellent example to her followers.

She'd gain a lot more clout for her sustainability efforts that way and she'd reduce the ridiculous influx of items cluttering up her home! I think her followers would respect her a hell of a lot more if she were to declare she's going on a no-buy but will continue to film as per her usual schedule just to keep everyone informed on 'this season's must-have items'.

I suggest this as an easier alternative to branching out and expanding her channel beyond what it currently is, because, aside from her botox experience, I can't see Emma trying out anything new. She seems content in her rather small bubble. So, this would be a happy medium between doing what she's comfortable doing and continually, needlessly, irritatingly adding more stuff her life just because.
I feel like she did have maybe one haul like that, items were on loan and she claimed when she's do future fast fashion hauls she'd be donating clothes to women's shelters or whatever but nothing came of it

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

Hold on...did she actually buy ANOTHER bag???

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

I can not believe this, she actually says 'I know I went a little bit leather coat crazy in the second hand haul but no this is not another leather coat, this is a leather blazer...'

This is a joke, right?

Oh and the item in question is not good: it looks cheap and too small.

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

Was half this vlog about her dog's eye drops? Why would we care? That leather blazer does look like garbage, and we do not need to see your wardrobe switch over, updates about what you are getting rid of seems reasonable esp when people maybe want to know what is in and what is out for the season but does that really apply to Emma? She's always in the same thing

I do appreciate her carbon foot print website mention , eventhough some of her ideas and views on sustainability (ie cotton is better, when actually it is also very taxing on the ecosystem just in a different manner) a bit flawed. And at least she kind of sticks to not travelling much unlike a lot of influencers who are always flying to crazy places.

meowmeowbeans
Talker
Talker

Post by meowmeowbeans »

True, Emma doesn't travel as much as other influencers, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it's because she's concerned about her carbon footprint.

Return to “Abhorred Bloggers”