Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Squishypotato »

Well clearly, these influenzas are doing a good job of influencing each other..

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

I am a little bit baffled by that whole seaside thing too: trying to escape the heat by driving a non-aircon car to the seaside where the heat is the same and the colour of the water does not please her because 'I am from Cornwall and I am used to blue water'. Why?

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

And while on the subject of that non-aircon car: this is not the first time I have seen her complain about the heat while in the car. Just as a suggestion: less handbags, invest in a car WITH aircon????

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

faceface wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:19 pm
And while on the subject of that non-aircon car: this is not the first time I have seen her complain about the heat while in the car. Just as a suggestion: less handbags, invest in a car WITH aircon????
Had the same thought! Haha
They don't even have to buy a new car, surely most cars can easily be fitted with an AC/heater! Especially since they travel with their dogs often, imagine how uncomfortable that must be without AC in the heat.

PowderGirl
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by PowderGirl »

faceface wrote:And while on the subject of that non-aircon car: this is not the first time I have seen her complain about the heat while in the car. Just as a suggestion: less handbags, invest in a car WITH aircon????
It’s interesting how she doesn’t care about cars when she’s so damn materialistic. Even after some time of being a „successful“ influencer she should could have gotten a better (but still small if she likes) car.

The thing is their car isn’t even old?! They just got the cheapest configuration ...

Pinkii
Learner
Learner

Post by Pinkii »

What I don’t understand is, why the need for all the designer gear when she doesn’t even go anywhere?

I can’t imagine spending that much money just so I can go waltz around the shops once a week (if that)

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

Pinkii wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:32 pm
What I don’t understand is, why the need for all the designer gear when she doesn’t even go anywhere?

I can’t imagine spending that much money just so I can go waltz around the shops once a week (if that)
Most of it is for content I guess. I mean,we've all seen her vlogs, and she doesn't seem to really go anywhere or do anything that would require dressing up often...other than shooting videos, pics etc. By upgrading her daily wardrobe with more accessible luxury items (e.g. high end denim, contemporary designers like anine bing, dear Frances and by far etc) she probably makes more from affiliate links than the days of H&M, Asos alone.

I think she should continue to shill high street though, because I'm sure the majority of her viewers would find this more affordable (therefore more click through affiliate links).... it's a bit of a gamble to go too high end/luxe, let's face it, not everyone has that kind of budget, and actual translation to sales would probably be much lower.

Plus, wearing a H&M blazer (with £500 sandals) makes her seem more relatable, along with moaning about poop coloured water and the weather! Haha.

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

Squishypotato wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:28 am
faceface wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:19 pm
Had the same thought! Haha
They don't even have to buy a new car, surely most cars can easily be fitted with an AC/heater! Especially since they travel with their dogs often, imagine how uncomfortable that must be without AC in the heat.
Second hand car = vintage car...right ;-)? Not to mention very sustainable, plus they can sell their old car to someone without dogs/children/whiney person in the passenger seat. Our car is 10 years old and has aircon, so I am sure there are plenty of younger second hand cars on the market.

Meanwhile I see she has uploaded another vlog...on her designer bag collection. OMG? She claims 'as requested by the viewers'. If that is true her viewers are really the dumbest.

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

'I have them all layed out in front of me and it is actually a bit sickening...'

Now if I were an influencer I would have started over filming as soon as I heard myself say that or edit it out.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

^maybe Simon is quietly trolling her with his editing hahahaha
Also, just wanted to say that she also whines from the drivers seat! :rofl:

Now I feel slightly evil lol

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

Squishypotato wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:29 pm
^maybe Simon is quietly trolling her with his editing hahahaha
Also, just wanted to say that she also whines from the drivers seat! :rofl:

Now I feel slightly evil lol
:rofl:

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

faceface wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:16 pm
I am a little bit baffled by that whole seaside thing too: trying to escape the heat by driving a non-aircon car to the seaside where the heat is the same and the colour of the water does not please her because 'I am from Cornwall and I am used to blue water'. Why?

If she's so picky about her beaches how about she drives to Cornwall and spends a week there with her family??? That would give us different content for the vlog AND she can still work from there. Simon doesnt have a job other than editing her videos so they can both go! And it would only cost gas money to get there and we'd get to see her mom who is actually nice and entertaining.

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

drasticactions wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:40 am
faceface wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:16 pm

If she's so picky about her beaches how about she drives to Cornwall and spends a week there with her family??? That would give us different content for the vlog AND she can still work from there. Simon doesnt have a job other than editing her videos so they can both go! And it would only cost gas money to get there and we'd get to see her mom who is actually nice and entertaining.
Maybe her mother does not want to be on her social media anymore? I have not seen her appear in ages.

gossipy locks
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by gossipy locks »

Haven't even watched her latest video yet but saw it pop up in the sidebar as I watched something else. WHYYY does she have to be so obnoxious??? Yes, she's giving me such strong obnoxious vibes just from her freaking video title and thumbnail - I can't even imagine what she's actually like in the video itself, lmao. 28 designer handbags? Who TF cares about the number? Does this give anyone else "ick" vibes? Couldn't she just title it "updated handbag collection"? She did this with her previous collection video as well, I think she had 21 at the time or something. So tacky. It's not even like she has an interesting collection. If someone watched her video expecting to be floored by a 28 strong handbag collection, I think they would be expecting something quite different than what she's sharing.

Emma really needs to start getting out more or something. Her videos are so repetitive and she's such a downer. So much emphasis on assessing, talking about and sharing her "collections" just to do nothing with the pieces aside from count them over and over again. So much organizing and then clearing out just to haul more crap so she can organize and clear out again. I just realized she seems to live a very sad life. Can you imagine hauling clothing (that always looks just like all the clothing you already own, btw) just to go stand outside and take pictures before you go back home again? No parties to go to, no plays to attend, no fun workouts, no visits to art galleries, trendy restaurants, nothing. And in the rare time she does do something, she moans the whole time. No wonder she's depressed.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

Yeah, including the number in the title of the video comes across as desperate and tacky, like some other YouTubers (e.g. Mel in Melbourne, Jerusha) whose videos are titled along the lines of "$20K Chanel haul!!!" etc. Really doesn't go with the rest of her image.
I saw she's uploaded even more stuff to her Depop, most of which are brand new, or only worn a couple of times...including some recently hauled items/ jeans she's proclaimed to have "amazing fit (aka too tight)" and "best ever jeans" and "suuuper comfy"... hmm, how does she judge these things if she hasn't really worn them?! Curious. Unsurprising given the sheer number of everything she has!

Post by Guest »

gossipy locks wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:31 pm
Haven't even watched her latest video yet but saw it pop up in the sidebar as I watched something else. WHYYY does she have to be so obnoxious??? Yes, she's giving me such strong obnoxious vibes just from her freaking video title and thumbnail - I can't even imagine what she's actually like in the video itself, lmao. 28 designer handbags? Who TF cares about the number? Does this give anyone else "ick" vibes? Couldn't she just title it "updated handbag collection"? She did this with her previous collection video as well, I think she had 21 at the time or something. So tacky. It's not even like she has an interesting collection. If someone watched her video expecting to be floored by a 28 strong handbag collection, I think they would be expecting something quite different than what she's sharing.

Emma really needs to start getting out more or something. Her videos are so repetitive and she's such a downer. So much emphasis on assessing, talking about and sharing her "collections" just to do nothing with the pieces aside from count them over and over again. So much organizing and then clearing out just to haul more crap so she can organize and clear out again. I just realized she seems to live a very sad life. Can you imagine hauling clothing (that always looks just like all the clothing you already own, btw) just to go stand outside and take pictures before you go back home again? No parties to go to, no plays to attend, no fun workouts, no visits to art galleries, trendy restaurants, nothing. And in the rare time she does do something, she moans the whole time. No wonder she's depressed.
OMG yes! So true! :tu:
She seems to be trapped into this 'haul/ film/ closet clearout/ sell' cycle and it's fucking weird. And while she started off saying the number of bags around her was sickening, and she would only be buying used to stick to her sustainability effort, as she went through them she kept saying 'I'm contemplating buying this one in another colour'. What? You already own multiples of the same bags, why would you want even more multiples? How is that sustainable?

If she assessed her life- as in, actually stood back and evaluated it, she would realise how little living she's actually doing. Her life is comprised of hauling stuff and moving it from one closet to the other. Her outfits are essentially a uniform, so there's no point buying more or even accepting more as PR product. Her sustainability messaging is nothing more than lip service.
She seems so stuck. No wonder she is feeling anxious and depressed.

She could change course, especially now she's signed to Gleam so she can get advice from them on how to evolve her channel. They could switch up her content entirely.
If she posted tomorrow saying that she realizes she owns enough clothing to cover her needs for the next 3 years (which she really does) so she's going to stop filming hauls and actually use what she has as that is the most environmentally sound alternative, I would applaud her. I would actually start watching (instead of hate-watching) to see the kind of new content she comes up with.
I think she needs to stop, think and change.
She needs this job/income (which I think is a mistake all influencers make when they tell their partners to work for them full-time, you have no back up when your income slows down) so I understand why she's continually making the videos she does. The problem is that she has automated it and we can all see that there's no feeling behind it and it is just too. much. bloody. stuff. :roll:

I wonder if she reads on here... I don't think she does but, I wish she would just to connect for herself that maybe her anxiety stems from the very rigid video routine she follows (haul/vlog/repeat), and how unfulfilling that is.
She should consider stopping the hauls, making a statement about it as per the above, and vlogging her life actually doing new things. She could vlog about a ton of new activities she's trying out, which would draw an audience and keep her income coming in.
This may be the content routine she's used to following but it certainly isn't the only formula that works for YTers.

Sorry for the rant. It didn't start out that way, lol!

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

Fully agree for sure. I think she did use to read GG and apparently that's how this Rant thread started, as she wanted to set some things straight in her Rave thread (???!! Can't quite remember)

Trouble is I don't think she would take criticism or even suggestions like this very well, even if it is true or well intentioned...judging on some of her responses to comments on social media. The same could probably be said for most influencers though. But you're definitely right, your suggestions would be so much more interesting than her formulaic videos. I'm sure many long time viewers would also agree.

I'd much rather watch and support someone who was trying to actually do something (even if she struggled and moaned!! At least she'd be trying!!) ,as opposed to watching this endless cycle of buying things in varying shades of beige grey and brown she seems to be stuck in.

Post by Guest »

It's a shame she would be unlikely to take suggestions but, as you say, it's true of most influencers. I would hope as she's a little older that she would be more sensible than that.

I can really picture a big improvement if she were willing to make a change. She could learn a new skill or language, or she could start working out and vlog that experience (since she said she wanted to continue running after the marathon and started making 'healthy' smoothies on the regular), she could even take a painting class...literally anything that would get her out, meeting new people and experiencing something new...generally focusing her attention away from retail therapy would help with her anxiety tremendously!
I know it's not easy to do any of that when you have anxiety, but the first step is the hardest and it really would help her cope.

It would also reinvigorate her marriage as they would both start growing and have more to talk about and do together. To be clear, I'm not saying anything is wrong with them as they are, I'm just saying that a bit of change and levity would be a positive thing for both her and Simon since they're both stuck in this cycle together. It would be healthy on a personal level to explore new hobbies together, but it would also be healthy on a professional level as Simon must be bored of shooting and editing the same content constantly, just as she is clearly bored out of her mind filming the same stuff.

Edit: Also, thanks for explaining about the rave thread and how we ended up here. I didn't know any of that.

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

I agree with all of the above and have actually said so before: she should go out and do other things... WHILE STILL SHOWING HER OUTFITS! Join a class (could be anything: art, a language, history etc etc), a book club, visit a museum, go for walks in the country side, learn a sport, attend a bootcamp, learn how to acually cook. Thing is, she does not LIKE doing any of these things. I have heard her say she dislikes seeing a play. She never reads. Has she ever been to a museum on ANY of her trips? She is in Paris often enough for example...but I gather all she does there is walk around, shop and eat. Her cooking skills and culinary taste are laughable, I know 12 year olds who can do a better job and she clearly is very fond of KFC etc.

Themeparks, shopping centers, the occasional lunch or dinner (preferably still a burger with a diet coke obviously)...she is just very unsophisticated and child-like in a world were there are plenty of bloggers doing the same crap she does (shop shop shop) but who manage also to do a lot of interesting stuff too. And for a woman in her 30s that is just sad.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

This week's vlog: " it's really hot but I'm wearing jeans because all my lightweight chinos and shorts are in the wash"........ come on we've all seen the closet videos, surely there's at least 1 pair of shorts she could have picked instead :roll:

I realise this vlog was filmed last week, but shout out to GG with 1)wearing a dress to go have drinks with friends (getting out of the house!) 2)acknowledging she moans a lot 3)wearing something OLD she has (she's had it for 2 whole years!)

Good start :tu:

Return to “Abhorred Bloggers”