Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by drasticactions »

faceface wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:16 am
PowderGirl wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:01 am
But maybe please keep the eyebrows in November 2018, where they belong.
Lol she still sort of has them though, at least on July 9th she did:

I can't believe her brow tattoo person thinks those are ok brows. They are so comically huge and dark. (hey look like they are drawn on with sharpie! Even if they were lighter in color they are just so big for her face.

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer

Post by Poopettemetis »

drasticactions wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:16 am
faceface wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:16 am
PowderGirl wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:01 am
But maybe please keep the eyebrows in November 2018, where they belong.
Lol she still sort of has them though, at least on July 9th she did:

I can't believe her brow tattoo person thinks those are ok brows. They are so comically huge and dark. (hey look like they are drawn on with sharpie! Even if they were lighter in color they are just so big for her face.
I think they look bad because her horrible straw blond hair makes them look worse than they may be. They are no Anna Edit brows...thank god. Though they do look way too dark and...severe. In one of her recent vlogs they looked kind of splotchy. Like the front bits were really sparse and sperm-y. I wonder what they look like in real life.

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

Watching her new vlog, I find it weird she goes on about not buying anything plastic (being annoyed how method comes in plastic, and honestly thats prob best for cleaning stuff you don't want the bottles degrading and leaking all over your house and glass is not practical for cleaning solutions) But then she buys all these clothes and is always re doing the house and creating waste in other ways. Changing the couch after a year. I get with dogs they probably needed a new rug but a lot of rugs are synthetic materials, and are essentially plastic. I don't have a problem with people trying to do better for the environment but when she gets all preachy about it and then does other wasteful things (a shoe haul, looking for a new couch etc) it really annoys me.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

drasticactions wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:28 am
Watching her new vlog, I find it weird she goes on about not buying anything plastic (being annoyed how method comes in plastic, and honestly thats prob best for cleaning stuff you don't want the bottles degrading and leaking all over your house and glass is not practical for cleaning solutions) But then she buys all these clothes and is always re doing the house and creating waste in other ways. Changing the couch after a year. I get with dogs they probably needed a new rug but a lot of rugs are synthetic materials, and are essentially plastic. I don't have a problem with people trying to do better for the environment but when she gets all preachy about it and then does other wasteful things (a shoe haul, looking for a new couch etc) it really annoys me.
I know!that's exactly what I thought with the whole plastic business and then when she went on to talk about redoing the living room. When she started to talk about panelling I got such LEM vibes!! I get wanting to change things up a bit, but that couch is literally a yr old, the last couch they had was grey/black and now she's just going to buy another grey one. (Although to be fair she is far less beggy than LEM,at least not blatantly so)

She's bought/replaced so many things that were probably in pretty good condition, for aesthetic reasons because shes a "YouTuber".

She had that la redoute rug in 2 sizes before getting this latest one.. got a new round table for the kitchen with a custom top and stand ordered from Alibaba (super sustainable)..and if you go back to earlier home tours,she had a round table there, but changed the area into an indoor garden because they apparently never sat at that table! Going round and round in circles.

If she really wanted to preach about sustainability, she should just try CONSUMING less and buying less crap (she's "buying better" but still buying heaps of things she doesn't need!!!) . She needs to stop using "I need this for my job/ to create content" as an excuse. She has more than enough clothes, shoes, bags, THINGS to create ALL KINDS of content!

Post by Guest »

^ this! She could do loads of videos of how she styles the same pieces in different ways, just from the sheer volume of stuff she owns, she'd never run out of new combos. Instead she just buys mOAr ~sustainable~ blazers, tees and jeans. :roll:
I've only just learnt that she does this with furnishings, too, and that really does indicate that her idea of sustainability runs on a superficial level. Hopefully she'll get more clued up as she grows and tries to improve her consumption habits. Her channel need not suffer as a result and may even grow and attract new viewers as her messaging evolves to become more responsible.

On another note, I was upset that she missed the wedding because she wasn't in a good head space. I so wish she had elaborated on that instead of just glossing over it. I wonder if her and Simon were arguing, which would be a simple thing to get over, or if it was a more serious episode of anxiety or depression that made her feel unable to leave the house and attend the wedding. :?

She's repeatedly hinting at anxiety and depression but not elaborating enough imho. I don't expect her to spill her guts out since it is such a sensitive topic but a little more insight could help any followers who may be suffering from the same. Having that conversation with followers could bring such comfort to her and also increase her engagement on her channel.
As she's currently handling it- hinting but not really disclosing- it would actually be better if she didn't include that information at all! Nobody would notice she was struggling given that it really doesn't show in any other bits in her videos. She's the one drawing attention to it without any need to, yet is unwilling to disclose even the slightest about what it is she's dealing with.
I just don't see why she would not just exclude that entirely until the day she is ready to talk about it openly (should you ever wish to).

Iris1969

Post by Iris1969 »

Her solution to her anxiety brought on by the thought of going to big social gatherings like weddings and blogger events seems to be to avoid going to those events altogether, but I don't think that is working for her at all, as it only seems to isolate her further into her little bubble with Simon and their dogs :?.

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

Iris1969 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:50 am
Her solution to her anxiety brought on by the thought of going to big social gatherings like weddings and blogger events seems to be to avoid going to those events altogether, but I don't think that is working for her at all, as it only seems to isolate her further into her little bubble with Simon and their dogs :?.
I agree. Like I've said before when my anxiety/panic attacks get bad it is hard for me to leave the house. But even when I'm stressed or nervous about going to things like weddings (which I always am bc I can feel trapped or stuck there for hours) I still force myself to go and tell myself "if I'm miserable or feeling bad, I can always leave after the ceremony" or I just tell myself "just stay for another hour and if I'm still not feeling good I can leave then" sometimes you can trick yourself into managing things like that by giving yourself time frames. If after x min/hrs im still miserable I can leave. I think she's just making things worse by not leaving at all. Either that or maybe she and Simon are having wore problems than she's showing and they couldn't be in the same room together? That seems less likely to me

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer

Post by Poopettemetis »

If she’s so holier than thou and upset about cleaning products coming in plastic, buy a glass spray bottle on Amazon and MAKE YOUR OWN with baking soda, vinegar, water and essential oils. Or mix your own and refill your plastic spray bottle. There are countless tutorials online!

+1 to the comment above that her concern for sustainability is only surface level (and for engagement), especially with all this new furniture.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

2xblended wrote: ^ this! She could do loads of videos of how she styles the same pieces in different ways, just from the sheer volume of stuff she owns, she'd never run out of new combos. Instead she just buys mOAr ~sustainable~ blazers, tees and jeans. :roll:
I've only just learnt that she does this with furnishings, too, and that really does indicate that her idea of sustainability runs on a superficial level. Hopefully she'll get more clued up as she grows and tries to improve her consumption habits. Her channel need not suffer as a result and may even grow and attract new viewers as her messaging evolves to become more responsible.

On another note, I was upset that she missed the wedding because she wasn't in a good head space. I so wish she had elaborated on that instead of just glossing over it. I wonder if her and Simon were arguing, which would be a simple thing to get over, or if it was a more serious episode of anxiety or depression that made her feel unable to leave the house and attend the wedding. :?

She's repeatedly hinting at anxiety and depression but not elaborating enough imho. I don't expect her to spill her guts out since it is such a sensitive topic but a little more insight could help any followers who may be suffering from the same. Having that conversation with followers could bring such comfort to her and also increase her engagement on her channel.
As she's currently handling it- hinting but not really disclosing- it would actually be better if she didn't include that information at all! Nobody would notice she was struggling given that it really doesn't show in any other bits in her videos. She's the one drawing attention to it without any need to, yet is unwilling to disclose even the slightest about what it is she's dealing with.
I just don't see why she would not just exclude that entirely until the day she is ready to talk about it openly (should you ever wish to).
Definitely agree with this! She doesn't have to talk about her mental health issues if she doesn't want to elaborate on them, it is her right not to. But she could just as easily edit that out, as you said it isn't obvious from other snippets of work. And as you said,if she wanted to elaborate and give us more insight into what she's experiencing and managing that could be very helpful for viewers, and be engaging content.

I think doing more of the short format videos (lookbooks, "how to" series) might be less stressful for her (won't have to be "on" all the time).

The thing is, knowing these snippets of her mood and anxiety problems, has made me view her content differently. For example, her IG posts are like she's hiding behind those sunglasses, or trying to hide her low mood by semi smirking or looking pensive. Of course this has been her way of posing/shooting for a very long time, but now it makes me sad for her, because I can't help but wonder if she IS feeling miserable.

I wouldn't wish mental health issues on anyone. I hope she's actually getting the help she needs.

czubek
Learner
Learner

Post by czubek »

Poopettemetis wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:10 am
If she’s so holier than thou and upset about cleaning products coming in plastic, buy a glass spray bottle on Amazon and MAKE YOUR OWN with baking soda, vinegar, water and essential oils. Or mix your own and refill your plastic spray bottle. There are countless tutorials online! .

Just don’t mix baking soda and vinegar together, it only makes salt water. ;)

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

czubek wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:18 am
Poopettemetis wrote:
If she’s so holier than thou and upset about cleaning products coming in plastic, buy a glass spray bottle on Amazon and MAKE YOUR OWN with baking soda, vinegar, water and essential oils. Or mix your own and refill your plastic spray bottle. There are countless tutorials online! .

Hahaha how true! I do like how it fizzes and bubbles up when they are mixed tho

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

On a different note (and apologies for the multiple posts) I had a squizz at her Depop and it looks like she's selling off things that were gifted/discounted/used in collabs... e.g cult Gaia bags, a number of high street Shoes (e.g. topshop, Kurt Geiger etc).

Some of them were from before the mandatory disclosure so the YT description boxes don't have *gift or *ad in them. (I remember them from last year because I actually really wanted the tortoise shell Ark bag but couldn't find it for ages)

That's super sneaky! I wonder what the actual UK law around this is, I presume it would need to be disclosed as income in some way, given that "gifts" for her business should also be considered reportable income.

However given the amount of gushing and worshipping fans out there I doubt anyone will call her out on this.

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

Squishypotato wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:34 am
On a different note (and apologies for the multiple posts) I had a squizz at her Depop and it looks like she's selling off things that were gifted/discounted/used in collabs... e.g cult Gaia bags, a number of high street Shoes (e.g. topshop, Kurt Geiger etc).

Some of them were from before the mandatory disclosure so the YT description boxes don't have *gift or *ad in them. (I remember them from last year because I actually really wanted the tortoise shell Ark bag but couldn't find it for ages)

That's super sneaky! I wonder what the actual UK law around this is, I presume it would need to be disclosed as income in some way, given that "gifts" for her business should also be considered reportable income.
PRODUCTS
However given the amount of gushing and worshipping fans out there I doubt anyone will call her out on this.
I think she stopped mostly opening PR on camera bc of that. She sold some Tom Ford makeup PR or something and people called her out on it a year or two ago and she claimed she puts that money from PR products towards other things she'd want from the brand but enough people complained (rightly so) and she said she'd no longer be selling PR but I'm not surprised she's still doing it.

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer

Post by Poopettemetis »

Squishypotato wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:26 am
czubek wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:18 am
Poopettemetis wrote:

Hahaha how true! I do like how it fizzes and bubbles up when they are mixed tho
Haha true! Thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes I’m just so incensed by her that my thoughts jumble 😬

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

^ I like your point about refilling plastic spray bottles above. One of my friends commented that a very good way to be sustainable is to just use what you already have. Another sustainable YTuber, Signe from Use Less also often says this. Most of us already have heaps of things that can still be used or repurposed (even if they aren't "sustainable" to begin with, e.g. fast fashion, plastic Tupperware etc). I wish Emma would use her platform to spread this kind of message a bit more often, rather than just buying more things all the time, like it or not she does have a big following and can help to influence this kind of change.
Nobody's perfect of course and I certainly can't claim to be sustainable myself. But then again I try not to go around being hypocritical with a holier than thou attitude like certain people,ha!

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

She"s posted on Insta how she's at the seaside because of the heat and basically is complaining still. I also hate being hot, so I understand that, but she's still whining about everything. Called the water poop colored (looks blue to me) and she looks miserable in the photo too. Why bother posting? I understand we all need to vent, but if you are an influencer complaining about stuff like that just looks really bad. Lots of us are stuck at actual work in the heat. You don't have to be fake happy all the time but at least maybe enjoy that you aren't stuck in your hot house?

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

She does look miserable in that post. Maybe she thinks moaning about poo coloured water makes her seem relatable?

Sointothis
Learner
Learner

Post by Sointothis »

She’s so negative about everything. Even changing perspective and doing a day trip and it makes her feel miserable. She doesn't even bother to come out of the negative head space shes in and enjoy a care free day on the seaside.

gossipy locks
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by gossipy locks »

Squishypotato wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:15 pm
She does look miserable in that post. Maybe she thinks moaning about poo coloured water makes her seem relatable?
That's my feeling on it too. I guarantee she thinks it makes her relatable when in reality it just makes her look miserable.

Pinkii
Learner
Learner

Post by Pinkii »

She gives lily pebbles a run for her money in the moany stakes.

Return to “Abhorred Bloggers”