General Health & Fitness Chat - Part 3

Von_Haute
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Health & Fitness Chat - Part 3

Post by Von_Haute »

Does anyone have any pointers/tips on how to do Cable Pull Throughs properly?
I’m doing this new training program, very different stuff than I was used to (powerlifting style) and even though I’m liking it so far, I still struggle with some exercises like hip thrusts and cable pull throughs. One of the days is glutes focused and I feel so stupid. I don't think I can engage the glutes, if that makes sense...
Sorry for what I say when I'm hungry.

Knoximus
Learner
Learner

Post by Knoximus »

good girl wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:37 am
Knoximus wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:07 pm
So I have a Nikki type of body - naturally square with practically no curves. I feel like she's always had a nice booty from the side but from behind it's blah, not rounded or full looking and mine is the same, ugh. I know it's partially genetics but what exercises do you guys recommend to really work the side butt?
Banded lateral walks give the best burn for me (choose a heavy band and go very slow, about 5secs/step, (focus on mind muscle connection)

Also doing more unilateral exercises helps
Thank you very much!

sharkbaait
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by sharkbaait »

Okay so I realized I asked about meg squats recently but now I am realizing I need more functional workouts.
Any recommendations on those? I have considered natacha oceanes but unsure if anyone else has better options
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fritzness
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by fritzness »

I'm not a super heavy lifter but working up to it. Do you think it's worth it to go ahead and snag a lifting belt now to help with keeping my form good and my back straight? I've never used one.

good girl
Informer
Informer

Post by good girl »

fritzness wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:43 pm
I'm not a super heavy lifter but working up to it. Do you think it's worth it to go ahead and snag a lifting belt now to help with keeping my form good and my back straight? I've never used one.
I'm no expert.. I think you should first practice and be comfortable with bracing and keeping your core tight before trying on a belt. Belts help with abdominal pressure and stability so you can lift heavier. But IMO it's nice to have decent core strength.

dietgossip
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by dietgossip »

fritzness wrote:
I haven’t yet used a belt, even when hitting my PR, but I’ve worked right up over a year and I still do sets of big numbers at lighter weight to focus on form cause I have a weak back

FakinFakinFakin
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by FakinFakinFakin »

fritzness wrote:
It really depends, are you going to be predominantly strength focused going forward and focused on powerlifting? Then I say yes, I love my lifting belt and it was a great investment. If you are going to occasionally train towards strength but do more bodybuilding style workouts, no. I think it's important to figure out why you can't keep your back straight and why you're struggling on your form and then use your belt as a tool. I only use my belt on my top sets for this reason.

fritzness
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by fritzness »

FakinFakinFakin wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:10 am
fritzness wrote:
It really depends, are you going to be predominantly strength focused going forward and focused on powerlifting? Then I say yes, I love my lifting belt and it was a great investment. If you are going to occasionally train towards strength but do more bodybuilding style workouts, no. I think it's important to figure out why you can't keep your back straight and why you're struggling on your form and then use your belt as a tool. I only use my belt on my top sets for this reason.
Ok makes sense. I already have good form and keep my back straight, was just wondering if it was a good sort of supplement to what I'm already doing. Thanks.

Philomena
Talker
Talker

Post by Philomena »

Just rambling here because I have no idea where else to vent, but I've realized recently that I'm not attracted to, or want to have a serious relationship with the typical guy at the gym. There is something to that "gym bro" stereotype... most guys I meet at the gym are BOOORING. Their lives and only hobbies revolves around either picking up chicks and/or desperately trying to snag a GF, and bodybuilding. Like, typical meatheads. I would love to find someone who enjoys fitness, but has other things going on in their lives.

treelee
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by treelee »

^as long as you aren’t super attached to the meathead bro body type, I think you’ll find quite a few guys who have careers and interests outside of the gym but make it to the gym regularly. For example I work in tech and I regularly see coworkers and my bfs (also in tech) coworkers at the gym doing all the bro-y workouts. Sure they might not be putting a bajillion plates on everything or look like a typical gym bro but they value health and wellness enough to be consistent. And I know they have plenty else going on outside the gym most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zomgirl
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Zomgirl »

I've dated a couple "gym bros" and all of them have insane inadequacy/insecurity issues. No thanks.

FakinFakinFakin
Gossiper
Gossiper

Philomena wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:11 pm
Just rambling here because I have no idea where else to vent, but I've realized recently that I'm not attracted to, or want to have a serious relationship with the typical guy at the gym. There is something to that "gym bro" stereotype... most guys I meet at the gym are BOOORING. Their lives and only hobbies revolves around either picking up chicks and/or desperately trying to snag a GF, and bodybuilding. Like, typical meatheads. I would love to find someone who enjoys fitness, but has other things going on in their lives.
YES!! I relate to this so much. I've attempted to date so many guys who lift but they are so painfully insecure about themselves it's awful. Lifting is such a big part my life that I like it just be something that's mine... if that makes sense? I'm enough of a gym bro that two in a relationship would not be a good match. Plus I hate talking about fitness all the time, I like having different hobbies to talk about. Also food is such a big bonding thing for me in a relationship and most of those guys are super into nutrition and only eat super clean and I like to drink beer and have pizza every once in a while without worrying about it killing my gains. :D It is a dealbreaker for me if a guy doesn't have some sort of sport or physical activity though, they need to take care of themselves somehow and still be able to have a life outside of fitness.

Socialdoll
Learner
Learner

Post by Socialdoll »

I'm planning on going to a free trail for burnbootcamp. I need opinions I follow their IG and it reminds of CrossFit I don't know i just would rather do actual weights. Any help please?

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Czarbucks
Debater
Debater

Post by Czarbucks »

Does anyone know someone that uses TRX/suspension training workouts? I bought the Lifeline XT Suspension training kit and it's coming in on Friday and am looking at Pinterest and found some, but more is always good.

FakinFakinFakin
Gossiper
Gossiper

How's everyone's workouts doing during this quarantine? How have your plans changed?

I haven't been to the gym in a month now and it's been awful. I've worked out consistently every morning at 5AM for years now so it's been a big adjustment. I've definitely noticed a huge change in my body already (much softer and fat gain) and it's thrown my entire schedule off and now I'm just so lazy. I don't enjoy working out at home and I can't really run since all my trails are closed or unsafe. I've just been relying on walking and staying moving and working on little projects around the home. I've thought about doing some yoga youtube videos but I'm not sure my puppy would let me! Looking for some inspiration!

Von_Haute
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Von_Haute »

FakinFakinFakin wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:05 pm
How's everyone's workouts doing during this quarantine? How have your plans changed?

I haven't been to the gym in a month now and it's been awful. I've worked out consistently every morning at 5AM for years now so it's been a big adjustment. I've definitely noticed a huge change in my body already (much softer and fat gain) and it's thrown my entire schedule off and now I'm just so lazy. I don't enjoy working out at home and I can't really run since all my trails are closed or unsafe. I've just been relying on walking and staying moving and working on little projects around the home. I've thought about doing some yoga youtube videos but I'm not sure my puppy would let me! Looking for some inspiration!
I was supposed to get married in a week, therefore my training and diet goals was towards looking my best on that day. 1 month before the big day we had to postpone indefinitely, so I got a bit unmotivated too regarding my physique. I also gained a bit without my structure in place, and my sweet tooth has been super high lately.

However, we managed to borrow 2 dumbbells and a 20Kg place from our gym and we've been doing some workouts at home, which surprisingly are demanding enough for a good sweat and soreness the next day.

I'm not a Whitney Simmons fan (I've always felt neutral towards her), but her full-body workout she posted the other on YT is really good, and Katie Corio has also been putting some real good workouts online on her YT and that's what we've been doing at home. For me, after 1 week of not having a structure, being able to do some workout at home with weights has been life changing, because I sense that I have some normalcy going on.

edit: I've been in social distancing mode (work from home, no gym) for over a month now.
Sorry for what I say when I'm hungry.

treelee
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by treelee »

I've become so lazy. I HATE working out at home. I have a 10lb and 15 lb dumbbells so I've done some basic upper body and single leg focused stuff to make up about a 45 min full body workout, but I won't lie it's not fun and I haven't done much other than walk/jog/stretch. I so wish I could run more but I tore a ligament in my knee last summer and anything too fast/too long starts to hurt too bad. I'm also super bored with my current route and all the trails are shut down. I'm lucky I have a safe place to walk so I shouldn't complain, but man I'm starting to go a bit stir crazy. The lack of activity is definitely affecting my sleep. In regards to my body I was convinced I'd gained 5-10 lbs given the way I looked/clothing fit, but I was actually down a pound or two when I finally got the courage to weigh myself. So yeah, I've definitely gone soft. It's not the end of the world though, I've had to rebuild strength from injuries the last year anyways and I was at maybe 85% when I stopped the gym, so I imagine it will be a similar experience of rebuilding strength.

I'm also worried one of my gyms might fold due to the closure. They just opened up this fall and were still obviously trying to grow membership, and we had a statewide closure of gyms on March 16th and as of now they're shut til May 4th, so that's like 1 out of 6 months they've been in business closed down. This is week 8 of WFH for my entire office (and week 8 I haven't gone to the gym because I didn't want to chance it while they were still open) and it looks like there's no end in sight given what the CEO has said even if things do start to reopen.

Hope everyone else is hanging in there and staying safe!

dietgossip
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by dietgossip »

My powerlifting coach lent me a 10kg bar and two 20kg plates so I can at least deadlift, but we've been getting creative with the technical parts of olympic lifting and incorporating stuff like tempo floor presses and overhead presses to make up for the fact I can't bench. I miss squatting properly a lot though, if this carries on all summer I'll definitely be in the market for a squat rack.

good girl
Informer
Informer

Post by good girl »

Looks like we're on the same boat. I gave up on home workouts after the first week. I can't muster up the motivation, it's just not the same. As a result I feel lazier as well, and I actually lost weight (most probably water) because I'm not as hungry from doing nothing (I'm sitting all day WFH). For exercise I walked to the grocery store instead of driving, normally a 5 min drive took 45 mins one way, that's pretty much it... Wish I could say I'm also looking for ideas to be active but I'm lazy to even do that. I'm just banking on muscle memory and revived newbie gains when I'm able to lift again. The more time I spend lounging the more excited I get about the gains.

wilmadawn
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wilmadawn »

I've been running outside but i was quickly reminded that I can't get away with the same mileage as I do on the treadmill. i did a pretty slow 7 miles the other day and my hip and ankle were pretty sore, i can do that easily do 10 miles on the treadmill without any aches so that's sort of a bummer but I'm lucky i can do still do my preferred form of cardio, even if I have to watch my mileage. other than that i have 2 10 lb weights that i've been doing some basic stuff with + some interval and hiit type stuff. i guess im managing but i really miss the gym, motivation is def not the same at home.

i was so upset on the last day the gym was open i even shed a tear, how pathetic LOL.

Return to “Fitness”