her username?

srg1994
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

her username?

Post by srg1994 »

does anyone know where she came up with her username? I know this isn't trashing her but im really curious

polyesterbride
Learner
Learner

Re: her username?

Post by polyesterbride »

It's from Looking For Alaska by John Green

hotwatermusic
Learner
Learner

Post by hotwatermusic »

I know it's from that John Green book, but when I see her username all I can think of is that scene from Edward Scissorhands when that neighbor comes over for a cookout or whatever, and she says "And I brought the Ambrosia salad."

LOL......... maybe that's just me.

Jas
Learner
Learner

Post by Jas »

hotwatermusic wrote:I know it's from that John Green book, but when I see her username all I can think of is that scene from Edward Scissorhands when that neighbor comes over for a cookout or whatever, and she says "And I brought the Ambrosia salad."

That's what I think of too! I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

hotwatermusic
Learner
Learner

Post by hotwatermusic »

Jas wrote:
hotwatermusic wrote:I know it's from that John Green book, but when I see her username all I can think of is that scene from Edward Scissorhands when that neighbor comes over for a cookout or whatever, and she says "And I brought the Ambrosia salad."

That's what I think of too! I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)
Haha, well that at least makes two of us!

IAmNotAGuest
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by IAmNotAGuest »

Vodka and milk sounds fucking disgusting. Then again I hate both liquids. I think it's kind of funny though that her makeup channel and her blog are both John Green things. Would it kill her to be a little creative?

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

Nah, it isn't creative at all. It's actually kind of weird that she has decided to name her website after it and everything, like turning it into a brand when the name itself is from a book she didn't write.

Wtf.ever
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Wtf.ever »

I think it's really bizarre that she latched onto 87days before as a her own. She did not come up with that, why in the world would she use it for everything? Especially for stuff that involves her own original writing. Also the chapter is a bizarre choice, people fighting and puking?

aleesahn
Lurker
Lurker

Post by aleesahn »

I don't think it really matters that she uses 87daysbefore for her website and tumblr, I kind of see it as like when bands use book or movie names or lines for their name, their album, or song names, such as Of Mice & Men. It's not like she's calling her website lookingforalaska or anything, and her explanation is just that she found the scene funny, so idk, I don't think it's that big a deal that she's using it as her "brand" name.
Also your mom. Bro, I saw your mom kiss you on the cheek this morning, and forgive me, but I swear to God I was like, man, I wish I was Q. And also, I wish my cheeks had penises.

IAmNotAGuest
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by IAmNotAGuest »

HattieChaos wrote:Nah, it isn't creative at all. It's actually kind of weird that she has decided to name her website after it and everything, like turning it into a brand when the name itself is from a book she didn't write.
Exactly!

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by hollaatmegurl »

Pretty much all of her previous urls on tumblr before she was more known all had to do with Looking for Alaska as well. I don't know lol it isn't creative really and the book isn't that good but to each their own I guess.

clandestine
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by clandestine »

I think its a little weirder because its not like its some super well known thing, like if it was a quote from the Lion King or something (bad example). Its a book by a guy that is well known on youtube.
I dont watch her so I don't know, is she open with the fact that she got it from the book? Or does she not mention it and act like she thought of it herself?

shadowlurker
Informer
Informer

Post by shadowlurker »

lustingforlondon wrote:I think its a little weirder because its not like its some super well known thing, like if it was a quote from the Lion King or something (bad example). Its a book by a guy that is well known on youtube.
I dont watch her so I don't know, is she open with the fact that she got it from the book? Or does she not mention it and act like she thought of it herself?

She whorships John Green and definitely makes clear she got it from him. I don't know why you wrote some guy on YT, did he gt famous through YT? I thought he's just a Ya book author.

shadowlurker
Informer
Informer

Post by shadowlurker »

shadowlurker wrote:
lustingforlondon wrote:I think its a little weirder because its not like its some super well known thing, like if it was a quote from the Lion King or something (bad example). Its a book by a guy that is well known on youtube.

She whorships John Green and definitely makes clear she got it from him. I don't know why you wrote some guy on YT, did he get famous through YT? I thought he's just a Ya book author.
Edit: nvm I wikipedia'd it

CutePoison
Learner
Learner

Post by CutePoison »

Of course it's not creative, it's like when you've watched V for Vendetta for the first time and you quote inspiring words from the movie and pretend to be a political activist for the next two weeks...no? Just me? Okay. Well anyway, to make everything you are or do, online at least, about another person's brain child, is a bit sad and uninspiring but I guess we're all guilty of it. Although for her to focus all her social media names on the one book is a little "okay, so do you have your own personality?"

cowbelle14
Lurker
Lurker

Post by cowbelle14 »

Like another poster said above, it's pretty common and accepted in music (seriously, just google "band names from literature" and there are more than you'd ever think of), and that's way more of a "brand" than a youtube channel and blog.

Post by Guest »

I do agree that the usernames that she chose are creative to an extent; although I actually didn't get it until I read this thread, then again, LfA isn't my favorite book nor do I think it's John Green's best one.
I'm curious and I hope I'm not going off topic but how would you think John Green would feel about Rachel, if he knew her, and the fact that she's using his words as a "brand," since they're both on youtube and she worships the hell out of him? (I'm a nerdfighter/John Green fan and avid Rachel disliker so I wonder.)

Return to “ICALLITAMBROSIA / Rachel Whitehurst”