Debater
Debater

Re: Ste-phony Cuttermore - Part 3

Post by good girl » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:54 am

treelee wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:35 am
good girl wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:32 am
Minnie maud? :D Lol haven't watched but did she say anything about macros or just eating 2500 kcals?

Hopefully she doesn't relapse. Giving yourself the freedom to eat in abundance can feel liberating at the beginning, but once the reality of weight and fat gain starts to set in it can mess you up mentally.
Nah, she's following the advice of that women's health Dr. not some crackpot named Gwyneth. :rofl: She said she's eating ~85% whole foods though, which is why she'll continue to do cheat days. That kind of got me... like she should be able to fit in these "bad" foods if she's eating to satiation. And if she's eating that much, really even 50-70% whole foods would give her more than enough micronutrients. It's scary though to relinquish control and gain weight so rapidly, so I hope she sticks with it.
It does sound like minnie maud though :lol:

I'm curious to see what she plans to do when she's gained ~30+ lbs. What if her body wants to overshoot and plateau at 150 lbs? She'll look completely different then and if it freaks her out she might relapse before she even gets to 140. "when do I stop gaining weight" is one of the most common thoughts during recovery. The fact that she will purposely eat healthy most of the time tells me she's gonna struggle with body image issues down the line. Like, just let go. It will be okay.

I guess we'll find out since she plans on documenting this journey, just hoping she'll be completely honest about it. I'm rooting for her on this one, I want to like her again.

(Btw she may not be diagnosed with ED, but what she's gonna do sounds a lot like recovery so I'm just gonna call it that, recovery. Unless it's not allowed here otherwise I'll call it all-in diet lol)

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:26 am

I am never gonna say anything bad about this girl ever again. I had an ED and it took me months to tell my MOTHER. We cannot expect her to tell the whole world. She did a brave thing anyway and I wish her all the best. Sure, maybe her ED was caused by the need to look pretty and vain reasons but maybe it was her mom's health situation and it's purely psychological? We don't know that. She is probably suffering a lot. I'm gonna keep lurking here but I am done with hating on her. Find peace Steph.

ssrcardy
Learner
Learner

Post by ssrcardy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:28 am

Yeah I think someone else hit the nail on the head—it’s easy to start because you’re so tired of being tired and weak. But then once a lot of weight/fat gains come, then your mind will remind you and say “ohhhh that’s why I restricted! I hate seeing myself with extra weight” but I think it would be really beneficial for her to stick with this until she plateaus/finds her natural set point instead of forcing herself to be a certain size. It’s really hard and scary, but hopefully by her going public with this, it will hold her somewhat accountable and she can share her struggles as her body changes. Also...I wonder if her on her “cheat” days she will stop at less calories. I mean before she was basically living every other day hungry. So if she’s not, maybe the calories will be less drastic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emlamp10n
Debater
Debater

Post by emlamp10n » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:58 pm

I actually admire her for speaking up about this and I am so happy that she has decided to nourish her body and let go of her “6 pack ab obsession”. I’m just kind of disappointed that she’ll be continuing with the cheat days. She should allow herself treats everyday to the point where cheat days would be totally unnecessary. It just keeps promoting this idea that some foods are « bad » and others are « good » and that enjoying those bad foods is called cheating. Food is fuel, food is meant to be enjoyed not demonized.

But apart from that, I admire her for prioritizing her health over her physical appearance.

HoardganizedJen
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Post by HoardganizedJen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:03 pm

Just a reminder to not diagnose Stephanie with an eating disorder when she hasn't herself per forum rules. It's fine to comment about her disordered eating habits but please phrase your comments carefully as she enters this new phase. Thanks!

applejacks123
Informer
Informer

Post by applejacks123 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:35 pm

i'm so happy that she is taking steps to find a happier balance with her body and food. she was clearly under-eating and overexercising for a long time, and that final "mini cut" seems to have been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. i hope she finds peace within herself, and let's go of the pressure to fit into some arbitrary fitspo body type for the gram.

ssrcardy
Learner
Learner

Post by ssrcardy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:29 pm

I wish absolutely nothing but the best for Stephanie in this future goal of hers. Sending positive vibes her way!! But I do wonder—how will Jeff’s research/coaching within the physique and bodybuilding industry impact her? I feel like they are right now in opposite categories when it comes to that? Regardless, I hope she continues on this journey!! Go Stephanie!!

likestolurk
Learner
Learner

Post by likestolurk » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:38 pm

I’m with everyone else on this; I’m happy for her. And I think Jeff is a good guy and will really be there for her in this.

good girl
Debater
Debater

Post by good girl » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:20 pm

ssrcardy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:29 pm
I wish absolutely nothing but the best for Stephanie in this future goal of hers. Sending positive vibes her way!! But I do wonder—how will Jeff’s research/coaching within the physique and bodybuilding industry impact her? I feel like they are right now in opposite categories when it comes to that? Regardless, I hope she continues on this journey!! Go Stephanie!!

Jeff actually prefers recovery diet over the reverse diet, so I don't know why he let her reverse like that. I mean, he certainly let her make her own decisions in life as he should but couldn't he have suggested it? Maybe he did and she didn't like the idea at the time, we will never know.

Source:

Recovery is a difficult and painful process so I hope she pulls through this.

rancherobeans
Talker
Talker

Post by rancherobeans » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:39 pm

Didn’t think I’d ever say this, but I’m proud of her and I’m definitely rooting for her. I think she’s gonna have a hard time but she seems like she’ll figure it out eventually. The continuation of cheat days kinda seems like a bad idea though...but maybe she’ll find that she won’t want to do them once she has her appetite/metabolism back to normal.

rancherobeans
Talker
Talker

Post by rancherobeans » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:41 pm

Didn’t think I’d ever say this, but I’m proud of her and I’m definitely rooting for her. I think she’s gonna have a hard time but she seems like she’ll figure it out eventually. The continuation of cheat days kinda seems like a bad idea though...but maybe she’ll find that she won’t want to do them once she has her appetite/metabolism back to normal.

jetspray
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by jetspray » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:49 pm

2019 is looking to be the year of recovery for quite a few YouTubers now.

Whether or not Jeff said anything to her about it before, it had to ultimately be up to Steph herself to make a change. Hope it works out for her.

FoodGusher
Informer
Informer

Post by FoodGusher » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:35 pm

intotheohno95 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:31 am
I’ve gained some respect for her after watching that video.
Same. I watched the video ready to roll my eyes and was absolutely pleasently surprised.

It shows that she was well aware of her completely dysfunctional eating behavior (she calls it "absolutely not sustainable", which I'd translate into "shit's fucked big time, SOS") and that she's been looking for a solution for quite some time.

I think it's a good approach (for now) and hope she'll be able to deal with the weight gain without it throwing her right back into the vicious lose-gain-lose-gain circle.

nadi
Informer
Informer

Post by nadi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 pm

I'm glad she's realized she has an issue. Better than continuing to binge eat and mask it as something normal. But I think eating unlimited calories (over 4000 some days like she's said) is a bad method. She'll balloon up and feel absolutely terrible, then want to cut down as fast as possible again. Maybe it sounds exciting and like a good idea right now when she feels so starved, but it won't be when she sees the rapid fat gain. What happened with eating at maintenance or slightly over? This is essentially binge eating every day. Best of luck to her anyway.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:38 am

I'm so glad to see this. I truly hope it all works out for her.

Emmalouise1623
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by Emmalouise1623 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:27 am

I am glad she recognized her unhealthy lifestyle and mindset and is making steps to change that! BUT I still don’t fully trust her or the numbers she gives due to her dishonesty regarding her weight and calorie consumption in the past. I have a feeling she very much exaggerated the 5000 calories a day she’s been eating, similarly to how she exaggerates calorie counts on cheat days and when she was in Hong Kong.

She went from being OBSESSED with being shredded and having abs and massively restricting on low calorie food to now consuming 4000-5000 calories a day in literally a week? Anyone else skeptical?

Also the 10 pound weight gain is probably manipulated by weighing the after/most recent weight at the end of the day after a big meal and water. Would not surprise me at all. But well on not glorifying a binge restrict cycle with a ton of high sugar junk food to her followers for once!

Silliekittie
Talker
Talker

Post by Silliekittie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:34 am

If she sticks to eating 2500cal/day and continues to have massive cheat days (even if they're *only* 5000cal), shes going to gain a good bit of weight. I think shed be so much better off eating 2500, budgeting in a donut or whatever here and there and skipping the cheat days. I'm glad she realizes there is an issue with her relationship with food, but I dont see this lasting if she goes about it in this way. Im also assuming shes lost her period whch is why the number is magically 2500. I'm wondering if she asked the doctor from her getting back your period video a few questions in private or if Stephanie's background would be enough to clue her in on potential issues that can arise if you're experiencing amenorrhea and/or are anovulatory for a prolonged period of time (6months is generally when drs become concerned and put patients on hormones, earlier if trying to get pregnant, but I 100% dont think shes trying to become pregnant).
I wish her the best, but her approach seems like itll make her revert back to her old/current ways relatively quickly. I dont understand the desperation in clinging to these cheat days. I also wonder if she had bloodwork done and her hormone profile was off. Shes been doing these cheat days for about 2 years now while restricting like crazy between.
I dont know how bad I feel for her. Shes been pedaling her disordered habits to people for awhile and she isnt stupid. Theres a massive difference between engaging in disordered behaviour and putting it out there for how ever many thousands of followers. Most of us would have defended our disordered behaviour when we had food issues to people that said stuff, but I never had friends with food issues suggest to me or anyone to approach it their way and neither did I (even if stephanie didnt outright say to followers to do what shes doing, a lot of people felt she was implying/saying these massive cheat days are perfectly fine).
I hope she can fix her relationship with food and go back to more factual content. Food issues are hard to overcome, and that sucks, but she tends to say things and then do something completely different. Hopefully I'm wrong about a good chunk of this, she'll do really well, and eventually nix the stupid sugar binges.

rubygranger
Learner
Learner

Post by rubygranger » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:44 am

considering how bad she said she felt - isnt it even weirder how jeff used to tell her how amazing she looked when she was clearly malnourished?

either way, i really liked her new video too, and i hope she has the support she needs (privately as well as publicly)

uglytruth
Stalker
Stalker
Has thanked: 0

Post by uglytruth » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:28 am

I think she’s being honest about her caloric intake and she’s in quite a tough position with trying to strike a happy leveling while having her body struggle to adapt. I can testify her speaking about not being full comes across to me to be down to the fact she no longer has hunger signals in the normal sense, making it really seem like she can eat an endless amount of food and still have room for more. Her metabolism has really been abused to not be functioning as Steph is aware it should be. She’s been driven by her mind and figures alone that her natural instincts have been suppressed and really are lost to know what to do now she’s prompting for them to guide her. It sounds to me like it’s nature over nurture for her to being fueling herself and hence reach such a surplus, something quite troubling if not treated right as it’s a very complicated process to be eating right. I think she’s meaning to do well but she ought to enlist the help of a dietician, GP, a CBT professional, or such — that would be the ideal way to ensure she’s maintaining herself the right way to a healthy mindset and is easeful to achieve her weight set-point (as she’s acknowledged herself to be aiming towards). I definitely do think her approach should be a gradual increase in her intake until she reaches a sustainable amount of calories, with a lowered time of exercising until she’s reached a good balance for it to be incorporated anew. Steph, to me, needs a consistent support system to avoid going down the route of simply gaining weight without addressing the real issues affecting her relationship with her body and with food. Else, a relapse is simply inevitable.

In my opinion, when you allow yourself to eat without restriction after being limited for so long, you tend to become addicted to the liberation it gives to just being eating freely; it can be very much all or nothing (which is why I think the fact Steph saying she’s ‘all in’ is fitting). You don’t know your limits because everything is screaming at you that any moment now you’ll have to revert back to being in a deficit and controlling yourself once more. Reaching that amount of calories, as Steph has stated, and having that weight gain (albeit a portion of that is certainly attributable to water weight and food weight and would require time to be disposed as
fat and muscle gain) is certainly highly probable given her history of exercise and diet up until now. Personally, I think she’s facing what’s dubbed ‘extreme hunger’ and has had it underlying for quite some time, and because she’s never confronted it (seemingly) directly until now (aside form cheat days here and there — the attachment to wanting processed/high sugar food is telling of the state of her health and need to gain as her body is crying out for it in quick-fix ways) it’s now dominating everything for her. What she detailed in her video very much hit close to home from my own experience of things.

Irina
Talker
Talker

Post by Irina » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:56 am

I am relieved she made that video and i also respect her for it.
And I think it is ok that she did not "admit" of having an eating disorder (if she has one, I dont want to diagnose). That is so personal, and yeah ok youtubers share so much but no one has to talk about having an illness in front of the whole world.

My sister was a professional cyclist and she was also really really skinny and did not have her period for almost 10 years. Her bones were near to osteoperosis. She then quit professional cycling because she wanted to become healthy and just did it for fun and started to eat more (before, she was eating quite a lot because she burned so many calories but she was still extremely focused on not eating too much because she needed to be light and she was severely restricting, she told me that she would wake up in the night because she was so hungry).
It took a whole while (over a year) until she got her period back and she also gained a good amount of weight. I guess she went from 51kg to 58kg? At 1,67m. But her body really did regulate back, she lost a bit of the gained weight and now just looks healthy and fit.
But that all needed time. She was never fat during the process but she did feel very uncomfortable.

I hope Stephanie will really do it. In the video she is so likeable. I think she really needs a normal job (I can understand that science is a very stressfull field - maybe becoming a teacher would fit her). Being a Fitspo is just not the right thing for her imo. If anything, doing things like Natacha Oceane would make sense - smart explanation videos and some real fitness goals (not just having abs). But tbh I think Stephanie never really enjoyed fitness that much. Yes a bit of lifting here and there, having the gym in the routine etc. But I don't think that she really lives fitness like Natacha Oceane. Which is perfectly ok but staying in this area will just make her unhappy in the long term.
I think maybe she needed some time without massive goals after her PhD but she just gets lost in that Fitspo world.
Please excuse my english, it's not my first language <3

babyphit
Learner
Learner

Post by babyphit » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:19 am

Wow.

I did NOT expect to see such a huge change in her attitude.

She has regained a lot of my respect for doing this and (sort of) coming clean about how badly her habits were affecting her health. She did beat around the bush a bit and not really bring up how disordered some of her habits were, but I truly think that she's on the right track and maybe later on down the line she might have more to say about her habits.

I know that her "no limit" approach might seem a bit much to some people, but here's how I see it: When you've been restricting heavily for a long time, your hunger is absolutely unfathomable. You feel like you could eat and eat and eat and never have the control to stop. This is probably why for the past week she's been managing about 5000 calories a day. After time, however, as your brain resets its hunger signals/cues/sensitivity and grows accustomed to the larger intake, you begin to feel less and less hungry, and you begin to have more control over stopping when you're full and not needing insane portion sizes to feel satisfied. I'm no expert, but this is just my past personal experience. Eventually, you go from shoveling 5000+ calories down your throat to comfortably eating 2500 and being satisfied. It's all about giving your mental health and body the slack it needs to start getting things running normally. She will undoubtedly gain a lot of weight with this approach, but she did emphasize that she's anticipating that and that she's okay with it.

Anyways, I was just very pleasantly surprised to see her put this video out. I'm proud of her for taking some huge steps to become healthier and I'm glad that she will be documenting it for her followers to see. A lot of easily-impressionable people follow her and look up to her, so maybe if she finally ends the cheat day/restrict cycle more people will follow suit.

Stnhill1202
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Stnhill1202 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:38 am

2019 really is the year of recovery. Taylor Swift, Eugenia Cooney (my heart, I'm so happy) and Stephanie Buttermore. I sincerely wish her the best.

fitspotofitsno
Learner
Learner

Post by fitspotofitsno » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:00 am

I'm worried for all the girls who blindly followed Steph's disorder behaviors. I'm happy for her and all, but her actions have consequences broader than the scope of herself.

jetspray
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by jetspray » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:53 am

Stnhill1202 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:38 am
2019 really is the year of recovery. Taylor Swift, Eugenia Cooney (my heart, I'm so happy) and Stephanie Buttermore. I sincerely wish her the best.
Meredith Foster and Jessie Paege also.

intotheohno95
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by intotheohno95 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 am

Stnhill1202 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:38 am
It is and that is amazing. 2016-2017 paved way for a lot of people to develop eating disorders or disordered eating, or just losing a lot of weight in general when they didn't need to. 2018 was the peak year for these disordered habits and EDs, so toxic for these influencers and their followers. There's a lot of hope for this year with recovery and perhaps by 2020, most wellness/lifestyle/fitness influencers will focus more on health and feeling happy and confident than aesthetics, how much you weigh or how slim you are.

Return to “Fitness Influencers”