Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello UK people, I need some help

Post by ggeyeliner »

Hello,
can someone help me?
My sister is moving to Farnham this fall to go UCA but she have problem with renting a flat.
In Farnham there are so expensive apartments and so few of them so she was thinking to rent a flat outside of that city. Another city close to Farnham.

But we don't know nothing about UK transport system and she needs help.
Hoe most cost traveling every day another city? Is that expensive?
Is in UK some kind of student discount or monthly card or some kind of solution for people who have to travel every day to school or work ?

I really hope that you sheer your knowledge and help my sister out.
Every info is useful
ENGLISH ISN'T MY FIRST LANGUAGE. Sorry for misunderstandings!

People should read everything, not the first 5 words and judge!

Liney
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Hello UK people, I need some help

Post by Liney »

Can she not flat share? That would be the cheapest way. She'll be living in the south so it will be expensive whether she rents or travel by public transport. I live in the south east so it's just as expensive and I have to pay £6.10 to travel under 10 miles on the train to go to college a day.

You can get a 16-25 railcard, which gets you a 1/3 off rail but that only works after 10am so I doubt that will be any help to your sister. You can of course get weekly/monthly/yearly train tickets which work out cheaper than paying for a ticket daily. Busses you can get weekly tickets too.

Edit: I just looked at rent prices, you get rent for under £700pcm, that's not expensive.

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

are you serious? this is soooooo expensive for student who have to work part time to live in UK and her family aren't gonna help her. She is all by herself. She is only 19 and not with a money tree. :?
Or life in UK is really so expensive ? My friend who lives in London have like 80pw....
And I watched other cities prices and there was like 50-70 pw, that's not expensive.
Renting a Uni accommodation is about 100pw so she was thinking about it but she was curious maybe traveling every day is cheaper.

Anyways Linsey, thanks for the reply. That opened my eyes little bit more. :D :love2:

Is there like cheaper travel companies? or whats cheaper bus or train? Where can I get info about it more?

barbara-ann
Lurker
Lurker

Post by barbara-ann »

she should check out spareroom.co.uk or other flat share websites

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/surrey/farnham

also she could try contacting someone at UCA for information on buses, trains, other transport etc

voldemort
Learner
Learner

Post by voldemort »

Farnham's London commuter belt I'm afraid, Country living with London Prices! Uni accomodation is the best bet, but be warned, a £100 pw is standard but don't be expecting much, single bed, mouldy bathroom and disgusting grotty kitchen. But if shes living in halls she'll make friends and move into a house/flat share for more like £70-100 a week not inc bills.

kikigee
Debater
Debater

Post by kikigee »

The UK is expensive, and any one bedroom flat is going to be particularly expensive especially when you factor in bills. So, as the others have said she's far better off sharing and there are plenty of websites for this, try www.accommodationforstudents.com
There is a 16-25 rail card and it does apply before 10 am? That takes a pretty hefty load off the price of a ticket and you can get season tickets which if she's travelling very often will probably help a bit.
But so much of uni is about living with people and making friends so on a personal level I'd definitely recommend her getting some kind of flat share or moving into the halls of residence (where baring in mind you don't have to pay bills).

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

ou, we have seached shared rooms but nothing. She really doesn't care where she lives, or with who. She only cares about the price. We don't have lot of money

blueberrymuffin

Post by blueberrymuffin »

If its her first year, can't she live in halls on campus? I don't know much about them though, but you could try and contact UCA. Tell her to try looking at Aldershot which is relatively close but isn't as expensive. She'll be able to get a bus or train in. Also try Alton!

Aylish
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Aylish »

I went to UCA! Just finished a month or so ago. I paid £75 a week and lived between Farnham and Aldershot and that was about average. Halls are around £100 a week I think if I remember correctly. There is no two ways around it, Surrey is expensive. The £75 a week was for a room in a five bedroom house and it was a half hour walk from uni. Not inclusive of bills. If she is going to be going to UCA, that is what she will have to pay. Minimum she will be able to find would be a £50 a week shared house room, but most rooms will have gone by now as most people sort their accommodation in April as they would be second years. 90% of first years stay in the student village. The uni has an accommodation list that has letting agents and landlords contact details on which she can look through to get an idea of prices. Aldershot isn't much cheaper I'm afraid, what you'd save you'd end up spending on the train I'd expect. Sorry I can't be more help but these are average prices around this area. My student loan and grant came to a total of £6,000 a year and the rent was around £4,000. £2,000 isn't really survivable on unless you are receiving help from parents or manage to find a job. There are part time jobs in the area but it can take quite a bit of effort to get one as there are a lot of students for a small town.

blueberrymuffin

Post by blueberrymuffin »

I just want to add that a weekly bus ticket (on which you can go pretty much anywhere) is £20 which is pretty good! There are bus links to Guildford, Aldershot etc..

Return to “Europe”