treelee
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: General Health & Fitness Chat - Part 3

Post by treelee »

Fitinthemaking wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:24 am
Has anyone here actually noticed a difference in performance drinking pre-workout vs no pre-workout?
I feel like all I find in google is people raving about them because they're sponsored or PT bashing them and saying they're a waste of money but I haven't heard any reviews from people who take them.
I mean, if I'm completely dragging it definitely helps wake me up and feel more ready to workout, but it's nothing a coffee and a light meal (or getting a good night's sleep) couldn't do. I hate that itchy feeling most of them have so I don't take any anymore. I feel like if you like the taste of one and don't find it too expensive go for it, but it's nothing more than an energy drink at the end of the day. Whatever else they put in there doesn't do much other than make you feel like you want to jump out of your skin. Your nutrition, sleep, and actual workout matter much more than any supplement.

pbjnfit
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Post by pbjnfit »

sigma3zl wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 am
pbjnfit wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:22 am
What does everyone know about 1st phorm?
It's basically a MLM for supplements.

Quality is mediocre, products way overpriced.

Stay away from proprietary blends
I feel like they are a little cult-like.... What do you mean proprietary blends stay away?

treelee
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by treelee »

pbjnfit wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:18 pm
sigma3zl wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 am
pbjnfit wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:22 am
What does everyone know about 1st phorm?
It's basically a MLM for supplements.

Quality is mediocre, products way overpriced.

Stay away from proprietary blends
I feel like they are a little cult-like.... What do you mean proprietary blends stay away?
It means they have their secret blend, so you don't get to know the exact amounts of the ingredients in it. I agree, it's sketch. I also get super weird vibes from the whole company. They're definitely cult like and I get mlm vibes. People will shout at you if you question it though (again weird). I feel like if you have to put on your FAQs that you're not a MLM there's something wrong with your business model. I think the difference is they don't make you buy the product to sell to others, you just buy your own product (probably a min order) and get commission off of what people buy on your recommendation. Which is better than a normal direct sales company I guess, but that's why you get all those ig people pushing products 10x a day claiming the greens will cure you of everything. I think they have very low level "legionnaires" who aren't PTs or IGers, but I'm guessing they barely make any money and just annoy friends/family/acquaintances to death.

Von_Haute
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Von_Haute »

treelee wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:06 pm
Fitinthemaking wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:24 am
Has anyone here actually noticed a difference in performance drinking pre-workout vs no pre-workout?
I feel like all I find in google is people raving about them because they're sponsored or PT bashing them and saying they're a waste of money but I haven't heard any reviews from people who take them.
I mean, if I'm completely dragging it definitely helps wake me up and feel more ready to workout, but it's nothing a coffee and a light meal (or getting a good night's sleep) couldn't do. I hate that itchy feeling most of them have so I don't take any anymore. I feel like if you like the taste of one and don't find it too expensive go for it, but it's nothing more than an energy drink at the end of the day. Whatever else they put in there doesn't do much other than make you feel like you want to jump out of your skin. Your nutrition, sleep, and actual workout matter much more than any supplement.
I agree with Treelee, except for the personal physical response to pre-workout. The ones I tried so far (3 diff brands) gave me more pre-lifting anxiety than "power" to do it. Or a sickening/nauseating sensation. My bf for instance, never feels anything other than nausea when he uses pre-workout.
I lift after work, when I'm usually tired so a short espresso does the trick for me, being that my nutrition is on point and sleep, well... I try :)
Sorry for what I say when I'm hungry.

purple579
Debater
Debater

Post by purple579 »

Weird question but I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask - does anyone have ideas why Quest just like...died? Not that I was ever a fan but there was that weird phase where literally every fitness person appeared to only be eating their bars, chips, power, etc...now I never hear about them. Wtf happened? I was just wondering about this today lol

treelee
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by treelee »

purple579 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:05 pm
Weird question but I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask - does anyone have ideas why Quest just like...died? Not that I was ever a fan but there was that weird phase where literally every fitness person appeared to only be eating their bars, chips, power, etc...now I never hear about them. Wtf happened? I was just wondering about this today lol
I'm not sure exactly but I have some theories. They had a sort of scandal similar to Lenny and Larry's in that they were sued saying the fiber was lower than advertised and thus that the net carbs/cals was higher. And they also switched the formula on their bars without really saying anything. The new ones tasted like crap and the replacement to those haven't been much better imo. I think the main reason they've died down though is because the IIFYM trend has sort of died. People obviously still do macros, but the weird protein everything seems to have died down and eating mostly whole/clean foods with moderation on unhealthy stuff seems more popular. Also they sponsor some pretty questionable people, so I think some people might be turned off. I mean for heaven's sake they have sponsored Kim Hoeljte. She's not fitness nor health. She's a perpetually recovering anorexic who never gains weight (including to do IVF and DURING pregnancy). Why you'd want her to be a brand ambassador I have no idea.

OneOfTheHeathers
Debater
Debater

Post by OneOfTheHeathers »

treelee wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:51 pm
purple579 wrote:
I'm not sure exactly but I have some theories. They had a sort of scandal similar to Lenny and Larry's in that they were sued saying the fiber was lower than advertised and thus that the net carbs/cals was higher. And they also switched the formula on their bars without really saying anything. The new ones tasted like crap and the replacement to those haven't been much better imo. I think the main reason they've died down though is because the IIFYM trend has sort of died. People obviously still do macros, but the weird protein everything seems to have died down and eating mostly whole/clean foods with moderation on unhealthy stuff seems more popular. Also they sponsor some pretty questionable people, so I think some people might be turned off. I mean for heaven's sake they have sponsored Kim Hoeljte. She's not fitness nor health. She's a perpetually recovering anorexic who never gains weight (including to do IVF and DURING pregnancy). Why you'd want her to be a brand ambassador I have no idea.
All these reasons, for sure. But I actually do see them still quite a bit. I think they seem less "loud" now becasue there are SO many other brands doing the same things, so they are just another face in the crowd instead of being the standout.

Also - Kim H needs a thread here. I could go ON AND ON about that one.

GymTanLaundry
Learner
Learner

Post by GymTanLaundry »

OneOfTheHeathers wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:02 pm
treelee wrote:
purple579 wrote:
All these reasons, for sure. But I actually do see them still quite a bit. I think they seem less "loud" now becasue there are SO many other brands doing the same things, so they are just another face in the crowd instead of being the standout.

Agreed to all the above.

Also, I know Kim Hoeljte has a thread over at GOMI as well.

sharkbaait
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by sharkbaait »

Hey guys I’m wanting to switch it up for new workouts and since BB.com now makes you pay I need some new programming.
I usually just make it up as I go but I’m going to be coming off my diet and wanting to make some improvements.
Strength based also! I run once a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Healthyish85
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Healthyish85 »

OneOfTheHeathers wrote:
treelee wrote:
purple579 wrote:

Yeah, I think they just aren't the only real players anymore. Remember when everything was like Quest and Artic Zero? LOL I do like the quest cracker chip things tho...the chili lime ones taste so good. I just don't pretend that i'm eating actual chips haha

Spid
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Spid »

treelee wrote:
purple579 wrote:
When I first started lifting a few years ago I was on the Quest bandwagon and thought they tasted ok. A couple of years ago I tried Grenade bars (I don't think they are widely available in the USA) and I was blown away. Grenade actually taste like chocolate bars whereas Quest bars just taste like you are forever chewing on cement.

treelee
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by treelee »

Healthyish85 wrote:
OneOfTheHeathers wrote:
treelee wrote:
purple579 wrote:

Yeah, I think they just aren't the only real players anymore. Remember when everything was like Quest and Artic Zero? LOL I do like the quest cracker chip things tho...the chili lime ones taste so good. I just don't pretend that i'm eating actual chips haha
True!! Even the costco quest bar dupes are better than actual quest bars now. And less than half the price.

Spid
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Spid »

HoardganizedJen wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:03 pm
Remember microwaving your Quest bar and then pretending it was some decadent treat as you ate it? :rofl:
Haha! It did actually make it taste a lot nicer but still not a patch on a decent bar.

FakinFakinFakin
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by FakinFakinFakin »

HoardganizedJen wrote:
Remember microwaving your Quest bar and then pretending it was some decadent treat as you ate it? :rofl:
Not going to lie, I once baked it into a PE Science Snickerdoodle protein powder no carb pancake. :( I'm so glad I've seen the light and I finally eat real food.

Cp3p0
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Cp3p0 »

howboutno wrote:So I have laughably tiny wrists and forearms and injured my right wrist about a year and a half ago, possibly from bad lifting and/or yoga form or a combo with repetitive use as a barista. It's better now because I stopped training upper body for a few months and stopped practicing yoga too (yoga seemed to exacerbate it the most because of all that constant pressure/tension on the wrist in down dog/plank/etc). Also, I'm no longer a barista :D However, it's not 100% since if I overdo something (usually pull-ups/pull exercises or trying to push myself too much with yoga), the injury will flair up, though usually any aches or pains will go away after a day or two of rest.

Anyway, lately, I've noticed that my wrists don't really feel sore/achy as much as it is the tops of my forearms that do. It used to be my right forearm only because of that wrist injury, but this morning I woke up with my left forearm feeling sore as well. I don't think any one thing caused it, though I did do some pull-ups and TRX exercises in a circuit class the evening before.

Basically, I am resting up for at least a week and trying to ice and massage my forearms. I plan on adding forearm strengthening exercises when I feel better and to take it easy on the weight for my upper body workouts. It's a little discouraging, but it's also my fault for not working on forearm and wrist strength more diligently.

Anyone have any advice or input on this? Thanks!
I was having wrist pain for a long time and always just treated my wrist until a personal trainer used one of these on my forearms

The pain went away soon after and I bought one for myself since I do a lot of crossfit style workouts so my forearms get worked quite a bit, plus years of rock climbing that caught up with me. You really have to apply pressure though, don’t baby yourself.

You can buy it on amazon or through rogue for like $20. Just search Arm aid.

aerialmindful
Informer
Informer

Post by aerialmindful »

wilmadawn
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wilmadawn »

HoardganizedJen wrote:
or if your Kim H actually cutting it up into 8 pieces and making "cookies" out of them by putting them in the oven.

OneOfTheHeathers
Debater
Debater

Post by OneOfTheHeathers »

wilmadawn wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:01 pm
HoardganizedJen wrote:
or if your Kim H actually cutting it up into 8 pieces and making "cookies" out of them by putting them in the oven.
I actually kind of miss her YT videos. I was always all revved up and angry after watching them. She's the OG hate watch for me

japeterson42
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by japeterson42 »

knjkgwnkgs

ugh

so, i've been trying to tweak my health a little bit instead of drastically changing it over the past few years

i was diagnosed hashimotos thyroiditis (hypothyroid) and the only thing that helped me was cutting out gluten. i do not take medication (if im being honest......im SO lazy to take time off work and go to the doctor and im not about to spend my only day off there) plus any blood tests ive done recently have had really STUPID results like, im BARELY hypothyroid. if my diet was shitty then my results might be worse but i only avoid what allergists/holistic doctors have told me to avoid.

now i'm trying to fix a bit of my bloating issue, no dairy which also helps my psoriasis (whitney simmons gurl i feel u) and i am taking iodine now which is a common issue with people with hashimotos

also, my silver hairs are fucking intense dude. my body doesn't produce b vitamin so i'm hoping taking that for the first time will help that ugh
lmaooo

Cp3p0
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Cp3p0 »

Do any of you ladies work out with a full set of nails? Like the long ones? I see women all the time with nails working out and I’m amazed. I can’t go a day at the gym without chipping a natural nail. Do you learn to avoid hitting stuff? I’m really curious because I’m considering getting mine done but I’m afraid I’ll rip one off.

Return to “Fitness”