notsosilly10
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mel in Melbourne

Post by notsosilly10 »

Sakuragirl wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:50 am
The red envelopes giveaway is just ridiculous! I didn't bother collecting mine due to the crowd and tourists, but seriously why not a giveaway of actual LV or Hermes SLG than just packaging?!?
I can understand why Mel would want to travel economy to Hawaii for a 12 hour flight, it would cost 8-9k for her whole family, and thats enough to get another Hermes bag. Given her job is a realtor/real estate agent, you would be a fool NOT to drive a fancy car, its tax deductible and its almost essential working in that industry, I know plenty of real estate friends who cant afford the properties they sell but always bling up with fancy car and watches just so that they look "successful".
Personally I wish Mel can branch out to other type of videos instead of these mindless shopping, perhaps offer some sound finance and budgeting tips to all the young gullible audience, but she is a lot better than some other Aussie youtubers out there, she has a stable career and working mum so there's nothing with splurging on luxuries, occasionally...
If she were to travel to Hawaii from Melb she would spend at least 4k per person flying business with a good airline, which is pretty cheap in my opinion.

It seems that unboxings and luxury shopping has a lot of views so that's why they keep doing it.

notsosilly10
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by notsosilly10 »

cdol wrote:
adel220 wrote:She'll probably start riding first class, too. :lol: Still doesn't dispel any doubt I have!!!

You know what else is a giveaway to me about someone not being rich? Being a reseller of luxury handbags. Or flipping handbags from your own personal collection. I think I mentioned this earlier in this thread (if not elsewhere), I had a roommate in college who is from a rich family and liked designer things (actually I have had a couple more but they weren't label whores or shopping addicts). I don't recall her or her mom ever flipping bags; if anything, they gave their bags to each other or other family members if they wanted to retire a bag. Nor were they obsessive about amassing these huge collections like these aspirational YTers.

They also didn't have to budget how much they spent...because they had and were surrounded by money. The money came from family wealth through years and years of investing and continued growth. Not from flipping handbags to make some short term, meager profit. :roll:

Ugh. IRL I honestly don't care how much someone makes and I don't think having/earning more money makes you a better person, but one thing I dislike about these YouTubers is their lack of transparency.

Roxy Jacenko is wealthy and she owns 4 PR companies.
She has often sold her own bags, clothes and footwear via Instagram.
I used to see comments from people taking the piss cause she would price her Chanel bags at almost retail price or even sometimes more. She owned a couple limited edition/sold out pieces but besides that everything else was standard preloved goods.

She also charges a fortune per instagram post and she’s also got another business for her daughter, Pixie’s Bows.

Anyway what I’m trying to say is, I don’t think she pretends to be wealthy, she is very wealthy but she still sells her own stuff purely because she can and to her, any money counts (i think she’s said this before)

I haven’t seen Mel’s new vlog but I personally don’t like the Fendi Puzzle bag. It’s such an odd shape!
Roxy is wealthy while a lot of these youtubers are not on the same level as her.
Mel can afford certain things but she does not seem a wealthy person.

There is no Fendi Puzzle bag is Loewe Puzzle bag

cdol
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Post by cdol »

notsosillydelete0 wrote:
cdol wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:08 am
adel220 wrote:She'll probably start riding first class, too. :lol: Still doesn't dispel any doubt I have!!!

You know what else is a giveaway to me about someone not being rich? Being a reseller of luxury handbags. Or flipping handbags from your own personal collection. I think I mentioned this earlier in this thread (if not elsewhere), I had a roommate in college who is from a rich family and liked designer things (actually I have had a couple more but they weren't label whores or shopping addicts). I don't recall her or her mom ever flipping bags; if anything, they gave their bags to each other or other family members if they wanted to retire a bag. Nor were they obsessive about amassing these huge collections like these aspirational YTers.

They also didn't have to budget how much they spent...because they had and were surrounded by money. The money came from family wealth through years and years of investing and continued growth. Not from flipping handbags to make some short term, meager profit. :roll:

Ugh. IRL I honestly don't care how much someone makes and I don't think having/earning more money makes you a better person, but one thing I dislike about these YouTubers is their lack of transparency.

Roxy Jacenko is wealthy and she owns 4 PR companies.
She has often sold her own bags, clothes and footwear via Instagram.
I used to see comments from people taking the piss cause she would price her Chanel bags at almost retail price or even sometimes more. She owned a couple limited edition/sold out pieces but besides that everything else was standard preloved goods.

She also charges a fortune per instagram post and she’s also got another business for her daughter, Pixie’s Bows.

Anyway what I’m trying to say is, I don’t think she pretends to be wealthy, she is very wealthy but she still sells her own stuff purely because she can and to her, any money counts (i think she’s said this before)

I haven’t seen Mel’s new vlog but I personally don’t like the Fendi Puzzle bag. It’s such an odd shape!
Roxy is wealthy while a lot of these youtubers are not on the same level as her.
Mel can afford certain things but she does not seem a wealthy person.

There is no Fendi Puzzle bag is Loewe Puzzle bag

Ooh yes, why on earth did i write Fendi Image
I meant to say Loewe lol

Fifi_dear
Informer
Informer

Post by Fifi_dear »

I discovered Mel only a couple months ago. She comes across so kind and sweet and for a while it was a real pleasure watching her videos. However, after the umpteenth extreme haul I start to wonder ... does she have a warehouse as a closet? Like, seriously, this is so much stuff. Can you even enjoy it when it's that much in such short succession?

An anecdote:

During my uni days, I used to work in a consignment store for designer clothes, shoes and bags. We had one particular seller, who would drop off 5 or 6 huge-ass Nordstrom shopping bags filled to the brim with never or once on a carpet worn Prada shoes, super expensive clothes and high high end bags (Fendi, Prada, Celine and Chanel), without fail EVERY. SINGLE. MONTH. That lady would get a tiny cut of what we would charge the end customer for the item and she would have definitely been able to sell her nearly brand-new stuff for a lot more, had she had the patience / time to do it through eBay or what not. Clearly, her time was more valuable than making money from reselling. She was one of our most popular sellers. Regular customers would even ask to be called as soon as she drops off stuff.

I'm wondering if Mel does the same. Perhaps she has one consignment store nearby her home, where she drops off most of her stuff after wearing it once or twice. I cannot imagine her keeping it all. So much stuff would suffocate anyone.

Lucfly13
Learner
Learner

Post by Lucfly13 »

As per previous comments - Mel would've made good money over last few years if she is in the real estate game. Most inner Melbourne homes sell for over $1M & sometimes that's just land. In more affluent suburbs av house prices sit at $2-3M. From what I can gather she's in inner East suburbs - which is definitely a nicer area to be in. I'd say her hubby comes from money - she often mentions bags & jewellery that belonged to her late mother in law.

pattiepannie
Learner
Learner

Post by pattiepannie »

I used to watch her a while back and she seems nice but to me she is someone that is clearly putting up a front on YT and tyring to cash on that. There is nothing wrong in not being a millionaire thropy wife. Like if you can afford the bag because you like it then by all means get it if it makes you happy and doesnt leave a dent in you finances. I grew up in a well off family. Desginer goods have ALWAYS been around. Nobody bats an eye at another chanel flap bag at the country club....You know who does? The nouveau riche or simply people like her. Upper Middle class trying so desperatly to fit in. People living beyond their means to look rich and convince other upper middle class that they are rich!

I think she can do whatever with her money. My only concern is the package giveaway. It's so tacky. Just say I have these boxes who wants them you pay for shipping. And just say the truth. I am no rich bitch. It is more relatable I think.

Post by Guest »

I think the biggest issue with Mel is her lack of transparency. She seems to try and sell the idea she is a whole package of wealth when in reality she's earning good money but she's not living a real housewives life if that makes sense? We get a very, very, very small blip of her life through the bags she buys and that's it. I'm all for being private but it comes off as very strange and forced, like she's playing a part. I'd much rather her be open and honest and say "Yeah I'm upper-middle-class and I work full time but I spend my spare $$$ on bags", kind of like how Sophie Shohet does. It's hard to connect with a personality on Youtube when said personality is 'omg look guyz this bag is so cute' and nothing else.

Idk she had a fishy vibe and only until I scrolled through this thread did I realise why I was suspicious: she's not as wealthy as she tries to pass off as.

Post by Guest »

pattiepannie wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:30 pm
I used to watch her a while back and she seems nice but to me she is someone that is clearly putting up a front on YT and tyring to cash on that. There is nothing wrong in not being a millionaire thropy wife. Like if you can afford the bag because you like it then by all means get it if it makes you happy and doesnt leave a dent in you finances. I grew up in a well off family. Desginer goods have ALWAYS been around. Nobody bats an eye at another chanel flap bag at the country club....You know who does? The nouveau riche or simply people like her. Upper Middle class trying so desperatly to fit in. People living beyond their means to look rich and convince other upper middle class that they are rich!

I think she can do whatever with her money. My only concern is the package giveaway. It's so tacky. Just say I have these boxes who wants them you pay for shipping. And just say the truth. I am no rich bitch. It is more relatable I think.
I stopped responding to this thread because I think there are a lot of people on here who think she is legitimately rich or comes from wealth and I was tired of talking about it. I think she probably has more money than most of her viewers; she definitely has more money than I do. Hence I think that’s why people think she’s well off.

I’ve only personally known a couple people in my life (literally like 2-3 people) who were truly from money and they don’t act or shop like Mel does. Actually, take that back, I grew up with some people who were apparently from wealth when I was in high school but I didn’t know them well enough so I can’t comment on that. The only “rich” people who shop and act like her are either celebrities or people who are pretending to have more money than they actually do. Maybe I’m wrong and I don’t know enough rich people, although I’m from Southern California and there are a lot of fake people around here. :rofl:

I don’t think we will ever really know how much money she has, but I am still in the camp she is faking it for her viewers. If it makes her happy and if she’s not harming anyone, I guess I’m in no place to judge, lol. Except for that stupid garbage giveaway, wtf! :rofl: :FU:

pattiepannie
Learner
Learner

Post by pattiepannie »

SAME I am also in SoCal. So many fake people. Dunno if it is the overall vibe or what but I literally know people who sleep in some friend's couch or garage, they got a leased BMW and a fake rolex but will eat instant noodles and all week just so they can look like rich kids at the club on fridays so others think they are rich r_____r

notsosilly10
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by notsosilly10 »

I think it is weird that I did a google search to see if i could find where Mel works but couldn't find anything.

She is either using a different name or something else.

cdol
Talker
Talker

Post by cdol »

notsosilly10 wrote:I think it is weird that I did a google search to see if i could find where Mel works but couldn't find anything.

I thought this too.
She has quite a large follower base now you’d think some info about her personal life would be accessible but there is literally nothing out there.

She’s also attended events as well and surely there would be some kind of info on her? Image

cdol
Talker
Talker

Mel in Melbourne

Post by cdol »

cdol wrote:
notsosilly10 wrote:I think it is weird that I did a google search to see if i could find where Mel works but couldn't find anything.

I thought this too.
She has quite a large follower base now you’d think some info about her personal life would be accessible but there is literally nothing out there.

She’s also attended events as well and surely there would be some kind of info on her? Image

So i searched for past events and i happened to find her photos and name listed in only two!
I don’t think she’s in real estate cause if she was, her profile photo would have easily popped up along with her place of work by now.

http://haveshoeswillparty.blogspot.com/ ... t.html?m=1

http://www.westendmagazine.com/montblanc-muses/

notsosilly10
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by notsosilly10 »

cdol wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:46 am
cdol wrote:

I thought this too.

So i searched for past events and i happened to find her photos and name listed in only two!
I don’t think she’s in real estate cause if she was, her profile photo would have easily popped up along with her place of work by now.

http://haveshoeswillparty.blogspot.com/ ... t.html?m=1

http://www.westendmagazine.com/montblanc-muses/
That's why it is so weird! If she was in real estate by typing her name it would come up her picture etc...

She is the one who said a few times that she worked in real estate.

Maybe she is using a different surname... who knows?!?

Post by Guest »

This could be reaching on my end, but maybe she doesn't actually work in real estate and just has a license. I dunno how easy it is to get a license in AU but it's pretty easy here in the US. I had friends who got theirs while they were working on their bachelor degrees; not sure why they did it because they never went into real estate.

Just from the links alone and I'm *guessing* (opinion only) she actually works in fashion, marketing, or sales. Personally that makes more sense to me considering the type of videos she puts out.

notsosilly10
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by notsosilly10 »

adel220 wrote: This could be reaching on my end, but maybe she doesn't actually work in real estate and just has a license. I dunno how easy it is to get a license in AU but it's pretty easy here in the US. I had friends who got theirs while they were working on their bachelor degrees; not sure why they did it because they never went into real estate.

Just from the links alone and I'm *guessing* (opinion only) she actually works in fashion, marketing, or sales. Personally that makes more sense to me considering the type of videos she puts out.
She said on her video that she used to be a fashion buyer but that she stopped and was working in real estate.
That's why it seems so dodge :roll:

Post by Guest »

notsosillydelete0 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:20 pm
adel220 wrote: This could be reaching on my end, but maybe she doesn't actually work in real estate and just has a license. I dunno how easy it is to get a license in AU but it's pretty easy here in the US. I had friends who got theirs while they were working on their bachelor degrees; not sure why they did it because they never went into real estate.

She said on her video that she used to be a fashion buyer but that she stopped and was working in real estate.
That's why it seems so dodge :roll:
I have a hard time believing whatever she says. I think she is probably a nice and harmless person but she isn't very forthcoming with a lot as we've seen here. 8-)

Fifi_dear
Informer
Informer

Post by Fifi_dear »

The link to blogspot shows her on a photo with the caption of her name and the name of her company at the time. When you google her name plus that company, the first result says she is/was their brand manager.

notsosilly10
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by notsosilly10 »

Oh god how many twillies and bags does a normal person needs?

I mean she has so many twillies already and she keeps buying more, same goes with her bags.

She is clearly a hoarder!

hahahaok
Learner
Learner

Post by hahahaok »

adel220 wrote:
notsosillydelete0 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:56 pm
Nance wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:32 pm
It's a point of view, airplane trip last only a couple of hours, while you can have goods for years...
It is a point of view, but in this case we are talking about overseas trips which is not just a couple hours.
Every person is different and for some having "goods" are ones priority. It seems that Mel is this type of person who likes to accummulate stuff.
I agree with this, too. It's fine (and in my opinion smarter) to fly economy if it's just a 2 hour or even a 6 hour trip, but for something that is overseas, I would rather ride business or first class. I think a lot of people would agree with this sentiment if money weren't an issue. Like I said, I wish I could too, but I'm not rich so I fly coach. It's not so much the "prestige" that I care about that comes with first/business class, but the seats are bigger, you don't have to fight over the restroom (something I HATE about coach when you fly overseas), and you have plenty of room for your luggage.

Like I said, I think if she had a lot of disposable income and was actually wealthy, she would not only be able to haul bags of designer goods but also fly first class. She seems like the type that would show off her first class seat on Instagram given that she likes to show her purses on Youtube. Heck, even when Jerusha flew to California, she flew what looked like to be first class or at least business class, although I have a feeling Fashionphile paid for that flight...Fashiophile can't have their trusty ambassador ride coach! (lol :rofl: )

I mean, honestly, if someone is truly wealthy, why would you need to "budget" and pick between getting a huge haul from Europe/Coach seating vs. First Class/small shopping haul?

Anyway, in Mel's defense, I've never heard her blatantly tell her viewers that she makes a lot of money, unlike someone like Erica from Erica's Girly World.
i really dont' get this mentality and most people will probably disagree with me.
If you fly oversees, economy is already that of first class on a domestic flight. Yeah its kind of uncomfortable but you're still paying 1-2k for a regular seat which is double/triple for business class already. My parents make well over $700k but have been flying economy (12-13hr flights) for as long as I've know with some exceptions such as paid expense trips. As someone else said, its all about perspective and what you value in life. I don't think its fair to judge people based on how they fly lmfao.

Return to “Gurus With More Than 50,000 Subs”