Staying on a budget

Custard
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Staying on a budget

Post by Custard »

Hello! I've created this topic because I'm curious of your budgets (if you have one, of course); such as the amount you spend on food, clothing, make up, etc. Based off on some of your comments on topics such as http://gurugossiper.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=270 and http://gurugossiper.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1282 you guys seem like fairly well off people. Please state your allowance if you do receive one. Hopefully some of you guys will inspire me to start saving up more and spend my money wisely. :)

I'll start off:
Allowance: $20/day
Budget: $100/week
Clothing: I'd say ≈ $50
Food: ≈ $105 <~ Ridiculous amount since I live in an urban area with many affordable food trucks, delis, etc. I occasionally do the grocery shopping.
Makeup: Meh... $0. I like to buy a brand new set each month.

Total: $155
Went off by $55.

It really surprises me that I go over my budget so easily. So I also need tips, tips, tips!

Pixiepink
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Re: Staying on a budget

Post by Pixiepink »

What do you mean by allowance?

Custard
Learner
Learner

Post by Custard »

Pixiepink wrote:What do you mean by allowance?
I suppose this only applies to teenagers. My parents still support me, so I get $_ per day, week, etc.

Forever Eccentric
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Forever Eccentric »

I like to spend money on tangible things and stuff I know I'll appreciate and keep for years. I live at home and as long I'm going to school, my parents will support me. But, when I do have money, I help pay bills and buy food for my household. My big purchases will be my new bedroom furniture, hair products, and trip to DisneyWorld

nothinggold
Informer
Informer

Post by nothinggold »

I make around $1000 a month. It's fucking shitty.
$130 ish is going to gas in my car. It's fucking expensive right now and I fuel up about every other week. My car is like $60 to fill up.
$160 is taken out in cash and that's my bullshit money for lunches at work, beer, just small purchases.
$100-200 is used to pay off my credit card. I put random shit on it and pay it off every month.
$100 goes to savings.
$150 is groceries spread between my parents and boyfriend's house.
$50 goes to my monthly expenses of my gym membership, BirchBox, and prescription I take
and the rest is just used in a stupid way. I buy my nephew a lot of stuff and just spend money on stupid things. I need to save more but I'm terrible.

Chlorophyll
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Chlorophyll »

I'm a college student in my 20s. My mother and I no longer live in the same state. I'm completely screwed if I don't stick to a budget, lol. I've always been a saver, but there are some things I splurge on. The amount I make every month varies, so I don't know what to say there.

-Make up and skincare products I mostly DIY. I buy commercial mascara and baby shampoo, but that's about it. I buy skin creams and hair conditioners very, very rarely. Usually when a company comes out with a new product that sounds interesting, or I just don't have time to make my own. I honestly don't know how much I spend on all my oils and ingredients per month, but it's a helluva lot cheaper than buying everything from a store/salon/counter. I'm too picky with these sorts of things, plus I'm a control freak, so it's not a matter of money management as much as quality control. I've been told I should consider becoming a cosmetic chemist. Not really interested. It's nice that everyone enjoys my stuff as well as I do, though.

-Clothes and furniture I just buy when I need. There's lots of jeans and T-shirts in my closet, and I'm fine with that. I'm not very feminine. I own 3 skirts and 2 dresses. *GASP!* So I'm sure that helps with the budget as well. I don't wear much jewelry, and virtually no other accessories unless I'm headed out to drink.

-Food is easy to do cheap if you know what you're doing. The local farmer's market and the dry bulk bins at health food stores are your friends. I also hunt in the fall, so the years we are lucky enough to score a kill fills freezers with meat. I don't eat much meat myself so it lasts a while. (Considering how many credit hours I'm taking next semester, this one probably won't be an option this year.) Eggs are a cheap source of good protein, but watch that cholesterol intake! I do a fair amount of foraging in the spring and summer, but it takes a lot of reading up if you don't know the flora in your area well. Or if you live in a big city without much untouched land. Rose hips are my favorite.
I am most likely not going to be returning to the forum in the future! But I would like to thank all of you for the advise, humor, and support I have received during my years of participation here. This place doesn't deserve the hate it gets! :tu:

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

I work so have a wage not an allowance. I live on my own so have my rent and all my utility bills, insurance, food etc so it's not cheap. I have always been pretty good with money, but want to get better as I do buy things I don't need and there are some big things I want to save up for (e.g. big trips). I also don't want to be working till I am 67!

My number one tip would be to keep a spending diary for a couple of months to see exactly where the money is going. It's shocking how much the occasional magazine or chocolate bar will push you over your budget. Once you have done that you can draw up your budget based on it. Then make sure you stick to it. When you are living on your own make sure you put aside the money for bills and food as soon as you are paid. My mum always told me to not view money as belonging to me until all my financial commitments were accounted for. Only then could I see it as mine.

Try to think about spending money more on experiences than consumer products. Endless studies have shown this makes people happier.

Being creative also really helps. No one needs to buy clothes every month unless they are starting a wardrobe from scratch. You can shop your closet and still look great.

Pixiepink
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Pixiepink »

Chlorophyll wrote:I'm a college student in my 20s. My mother and I no longer live in the same state. I'm completely screwed if I don't stick to a budget, lol. I've always been a saver, but there are some things I splurge on. The amount I make every month varies, so I don't know what to say there.

-Make up and skincare products I mostly DIY. I buy commercial mascara and baby shampoo, but that's about it. I buy skin creams and hair conditioners very, very rarely. Usually when a company comes out with a new product that sounds interesting, or I just don't have time to make my own. I honestly don't know how much I spend on all my oils and ingredients per month, but it's a helluva lot cheaper than buying everything from a store/salon/counter. I'm too picky with these sorts of things, plus I'm a control freak, so it's not a matter of money management as much as quality control. I've been told I should consider becoming a cosmetic chemist. Not really interested. It's nice that everyone enjoys my stuff as well as I do, though.
I feel like anyone could do DIY beauty products these days, its so easy with all the info so readily available online! I've even seen YT videos on it.Most people just want the convenience of bought products though.

Chlorophyll
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Chlorophyll »

I can certainly understand the appeal of having the latest thing from Sephora. ;) There were a good couple of years there where I was spending a ton of money on Clinique and whatnot. If anybody in here has a rudimentary understanding of chemistry and you go through products like a fish goes through water, give DIY a try! You'll save so much money. It's really not that hard. Promise. Surfactants are a bit expensive, though. I don't use those very often.

Another thing you can do to save money is don't wash your hair every single day. It's actually better for your cuticles if you only wash it every other day, or even every 3-4 days. (I can't do that though. 3 days MAX for me, lol.)

And when you get a tear or hole in your clothes, try to mend them before you toss them.
I am most likely not going to be returning to the forum in the future! But I would like to thank all of you for the advise, humor, and support I have received during my years of participation here. This place doesn't deserve the hate it gets! :tu:

Return to “Finance”