Luke Conard

Pixiepink
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Luke Conard

Post by Pixiepink »

The pic he showed on his livestream of old 'hipster' luke reminded me of the dating site murderer meme :lol:

Image Image

Dunches
Informer
Informer

Post by Dunches »

Pixiepink wrote:The pic he showed on his livestream of old 'hipster' luke reminded me of the dating site murderer meme :lol:

Image Image
Did you just post the same picture twice?

Post by Guest »

Serious question: is the kickstarter money he's making taxed?

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

theroyaldutchness wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:
Angie V wrote: I agree. I also just think if he wants the money, then fricking save up for it and earn it yourself. I understand that other people on kickstarter could do that too, but damn he makes bank and the rewards sound really overvalued and not worth it.
He makes "bank?" All of his channels combined don't come close to what Ingrid earns. If you take a split down the middle from the Social Blade estimates, he brings in about $145,000/year gross. After taxes (remember he's considered self-employed and California has one of the highest state income tax rates in the nation), that ends up being about $85,000/year. Now I know that may still sound like a lot, but he's living in an expensive part of California, splitting the rent on a pretty ritzy house with 4 other guys (two of which don't earn nearly as much as the rest). He also has a car and gas prices in California are also one of the highest in the nation.

To me it's a wonder if he can even have much left over to save for retirement (which I hope he's doing).

I'm sorry but in my mind that's not making "bank."
Not the point. He is still A LOT richer than the people he's asking for money. It would be like you asking your 8-year old niece for money to buy a new TV. It's not about how much rent he pays or the fact that he chose to live in Cali were everything is more expensive, it's about asking people who are not as well off as you are, not even nearly, for money.
First of all, let's not make assumptions of socio-economic status of his fans. They are more diverse than folks here give them credit for. Secondly, he's just asking. His fans are under no obligation to give. What we (his fans) do with our money is our business. He hardly makes it a secret as to how he lives and as you see his potential income is hardly a secret either.

bugk
Talker
Talker

Post by bugk »

Sorry if this has already been talked about, but has Luke said anything wanting to be signed to a label or does he want to stay independent and "youtube-y"? Idk, maybe because all the kickstarter/indiegogo whatever stuff makes me really uncomfortable. Like why don't you find people who it's their JOB to back you financially?

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

bugk wrote:Sorry if this has already been talked about, but has Luke said anything wanting to be signed to a label or does he want to stay independent and "youtube-y"? Idk, maybe because all the kickstarter/indiegogo whatever stuff makes me really uncomfortable. Like why don't you find people who it's their JOB to back you financially?
He's stated before he wants to remain independent and doesn't want to sign to a label. Also trying to find venture capitalists to back a professional studio album outside of a label is nearly impossible. That's why folks like Luke and Alex Goot have gone to crowd sourcing to fund their professional studio albums instead.

bugk
Talker
Talker

Post by bugk »

[/quote]
He's stated before he wants to remain independent and doesn't want to sign to a label. Also trying to find venture capitalists to back a professional studio album outside of a label is nearly impossible. That's why folks like Luke and Alex Goot have gone to crowd sourcing to fund their professional studio albums instead.[/quote]

Oh okay, thanks! Yeah I understand how difficult it is to find the needed resources when you aren't signed. But like I said, something about these fundraisers are just really off to me. But anyways, thanks for your swift reply!

bunnysalad
Learner
Learner

Post by bunnysalad »

I don't know why people are getting so worked up over this! As fans of these guys (and girls) we want to support them and yeah we watch videos and what not but we want to support them in whatever ways we can. People are buying posters and cds, you can't say you haven't done that for an artist you really enjoy. Only 2 people have bought the shirt, someone bought the guitar and jacket. The camera, mic, and disneyland day are still up for sell which I am not too surprised about. Also a good chunk of people have bought the intro/15 sec video so they are employing him for that short amount of time.
It is not that big of a deal.
:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

TheInfetileMule
Learner
Learner

Post by TheInfetileMule »

Okay, ya'll need to chill for a second! There isn't a single artist that pays money from their own pockets to make an album, that's the production company's job, and then when the album is released they add up the total profit and split it with the artist. What do you guys think 'being signed' means? Luke is not signed, because obviously he's not a very good singer, well not enough to get recognized so he needs this to make an album on his own. We also have to remember that he paid for all his own equipment that he has now, and produced & directed most of the Music Videos on his main channel. How much money do you think he has? I'm sure he doesn't have more than 50-80K in his bank account. Even if he does have that kind of money, then why would he gamble with it in an attempt to make an album than might not produce any profits? The Indiegogo thing is a safe way for a marketer and buyer because those people who buy the items listed get exactly what were going to buy, but just a bit later. Don't you think if he already had the album ready, those same people would buy the 'Luke Pack' and 'Digital copies'..... so he would be earning the same amount he already has on kickstarter ....so it't not like he's doing anything malicious or robbing young girls.

All he cares about now is coming up with a finished product so he can send them to all the people who paid him, but he does hope to get more popular off of this, so when his album his done he can get more fans....He still wouldn't make a profit if he gained 20k then spent 20k on the the production,,,and then not gaining any new fans to buy his album...but at least he doesn't have to worry about being in debt afterwards ....

I think you guys are angry or just find him obnoxious that he thinks a trip to Disneyland and his shirts are worth so much, but this whole indiegogo thing makes complete sense business wise. The people bashing him for it really don't know how the whole music world works. Yeah, maybe he is weird to think the way he does, but i guess when you really want something...you kinda get desperate....and start selling used shirts at a unreasonable price...but hey....there are pple willing to pay...who r we to judge

Oh PS am I the only one who thinks the Jason Derulo cover he did was really good? One of the best in my opinion...but I never liked any of his other covers or songs......I think the girl was really talented..and that's why it sounded really god.

SORRY MY ENGLISH IS BAD!

bugk
Talker
Talker

Post by bugk »

Woah woah. I don't think anyone here is really worked up or mad about his indiegogo. However, I can't speak for everyone. But from other posts I've seen from people who don't agree with it, it is just that. They don't agree with. I honestly don't care that Luke has made an indiegogo, I was just voicing my opinion on the fundraiser in general; I just decided to do it in this thread since it's a recent topic of discussion.

TheInfetileMule
Learner
Learner

Sorry I didn't mean to make my reply sound so hostile, but there were some comments that were just 'wtf'? Like they are angry at him...or think he's doing something bad. What does it mean that people don't 'agree' with it? I think it makes no sense...like they don't want him to make an album? This process is no different than what most artists do, he's just using a different source. Zach Braff is using kickstarter for a movie he want to make, and Kevin Smith has used this process too...it's just a alternative....and it doesn't hurt anyone or anything. Also the person who made the kickstarter has more control...they don't have a production behind them saying what they can or can't do...it's more creative freedom. The people who donate get their perks too. It's a win win in most cases.

bugk
Talker
Talker

Post by bugk »

When I say I don't agree with it, I just mean I wouldn't personally start one nor would I probably donate to one. That's it. :)

Hippo
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Hippo »

I don't understand why people are get so upset about Kickstarters. All they're doing is asking, and everyone who sees it gets to choose whether or not they want to donate. I chose not to donate because I don't think Luke's music is worth my money, but I would (and have) donate to someone.

And it's not just Youtubers who use them. Amanda Palmer financed her second solo album using one, and that's from someone who had previously been on labels. She actually gave a fascinating TED talk about the changing face of the music industry and out cultural attitude against asking when we need help.

TheInfetileMule
Learner
Learner

Yeah I'm not donating to his one either, simply because I think there are enough auto-tune artists out there. I really do think Landon Austin is amazing, his voice is really nice live, and the whole acoustic guitar thing really makes him sound natural. Luke usually has all these computer generated music that plays along with his guitar, so I think it makes his auto-tune worse. I would donate to a kickstarter, if I really did love the artist! But yeah, whoa, he has like $9,000 right now...almost half way there.

ferriswheel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ferriswheel »

I don't have a problem with him doing, the indiegogo fundraising. I donated to I'm Vlogging Here and The Veronica Mars movie. My big issue was last night on his live show when he was like "Aw nobody wants to go to Disney with me." Which admittedly I might of taken the wrong way.
Peace, Love and Animal Crackers
ImageImageImage

TheInfetileMule
Learner
Learner

Would anyone of you date Luke (from everything we know about him through youtube) if you had a chance? Be honest!

litnerd
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by litnerd »

Absolutely not.

Linnetbird
Debater
Debater

Post by Linnetbird »

A year or two/three ago, I would have. But his personality has changed so drastically around/after nextup that I would never even consider it now. His behavior in the livestream yesterday did remind me more of his old self, but I'm still struggling to enjoy his videos and personality in the same way that I did a couple of years ago.

dsaurrr
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by dsaurrr »

oldhaunts wrote:I think the livestream was really eyeopening, and I saw a side of Luke I've never seen before. I have a bit more respect for him, and do like him quite a bit now. I hope one day he does find a mature woman that will make him grow up. That's what he needs: not a girl like Ingrid that will fuel his immaturity.

As for the kickstarter thing, don't see why everyone is so upset. Even huge celebs are using them nowadays. (I remember reading last week about Melissa Joan Hart's failed kickstarter, lol)
Perhaps the first step to luke growing up and being a man is moving out of the frat house lifestyle he continues to live.. His kickstarter campaign is laughable and I feel for most of the people who even give him anything.. such a joke

Return to “Luke Conard”