Moving

JenniferKelley
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Moving

Post by JenniferKelley »

I don't know if this is already a subject, but my family and I currently have to plan on moving out of our long term home, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips and tricks.

It's been a lot of hard work so far (imagine 27 years of junk in a basement and around the house) and we're still in the process of cleaning everything out. Was getting a dumpster easier for all of you who have moved? Experiences with renting trucks? Tips on how to pack? Etc;

sleep84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Moving

Post by sleep84 »

I don't know if it stands for everyone and every situation. Hire people and cut down on trips, if you can. What do I mean? Throw away stuff that would be more expensive to move, rather than to just throw away and get new stuff.
If you have a collaborative family of strong people, good. If not, hire help. The hardwork saved disassembling and re-assembling furniture will be worth it. It's exhausting. Lots of things come up at the last moment..etc. (this was just my personal view, obviously, and if you have to move far away it may become very expensive to hire people..)
I don't know how it goes in the US, I just know that for me things got so frustrating that I was going crazy!
Pardon my typos, I have a rubbish keyboard. :P

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Angie V »

It's a good opportunity to downsize. Get rid of (trash whatever cannot be donated, otherwise you can schedule a pickup from the salvation army on their website, or another organization) the things that aren't needed. And think about what that word means to you. Chances are if you haven't used something in 3 months, you don't need it. Also if you forgot you had something you don't need it. Stack furniture in the truck in a smart way so you can pack other things in between spaces. You can get thick, durable contractor's trash bags at home depot or another similar store and instead of packing in boxes, use those to save space (obviously for breakables like dishes you will need boxes but for most everything else using bags will be really helpful).
Get a truck with that thing that comes down so you can walk onto the truck on it instead of climbing it. It's higher than it looks once you're tired from moving stuff.
imma ball til the day i fall

incognito

Post by incognito »

Hiring a moving company may seem really expensive, but omg it is so worth the money. When I moved my apartment last year, I was so glad that I spent $600 to have two guys do all the work for me. They packed everything onto their truck within an hour, and had everything unloaded and placed exactly where I wanted it in my new place in another hour. It was amazing. I would have died of stress/exhaustion/pain if I had to do it myself.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

My husband and I just moved and he was in his house for 15 years. We had a dumpster and it was so worth it. We had so much crap to throw out (mostly his). I think we had the dumpster emptied like 6 times. I can't imagine how we would have handled it if we had to haul all that to the dump ourselves.

We also hired movers but there was still a ton we had to do in order to clean and stage the house so it was ready to go on the market to sell.

Good luck with your move!

Return to “Home”