booktubers part 3

Harrietthespy
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: booktubers part 3

Post by Harrietthespy »

Bittybit wrote:Movie review channels don’t have to do challenges since most of them can make a review that’s more than wow!!! Really good! I loved it! :) not going to tell you why though!!!

Do any of the bigger booktubers post reviews at all now even if it’s on goodreads? I’m watching Lalas vlogs and she was saying how she has so many arcs to read but she never posts reviews I don’t watch hauls anymore so idk how many are requested arcs but it seems so greedy to request a review copy and then not review it like when hailey couldn’t wait for the plain Jane book or whatever but didn’t review it other than like a sentence in her vlog
Lala has said before she doesn’t do individual reviews because she has been told she isn’t very good at them. However she is one of only booktubers that stills does wrap ups so I feel like she deserves ARCs. I also appreciate that she reads ARCs that very few other booktubers read.
NicoleThePickle wrote:Can someone please tell me where these Stephen King comments are coming from? Is it a booktuber who made a video? Is it a twitter thread?
I think it is just a general conversation that happened after It came out and people read the book. I know some readers who were just surprised by the ending. The only booktuber I watch who reads a lot of Stephen King is Lala and I don’t think she complained. His books are too big for booktubers. :rofl:

Rhaenys
Debater
Debater

Post by Rhaenys »

[tweet][/tweet]
go lily lmao can't wait for her review

LaurieShelby
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LaurieShelby »

I actually think booktubeathon could be really cool if they invested more in creating cool challenges, videos and activities on social media. I believe they lost all interest on the challenges and they recicle everything.
Also almost all big booktubers don’t put effort on booktubeathon so I kind of lost interest and I watch the smallest ones.
About the reviews I totally agree for example Hailey in book land when she does wraps ups all she says is I love this book or I hate it but she doesn’t explain why. I feel that emmabooks at least tries to explain something about her lectures. They should try to give an open opinion and not just say I love it or I hate it because it’s your job to explain the reasons

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

LaurieShelby
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LaurieShelby »

I actually think booktubeathon could be really cool if they invested more in creating cool challenges, videos and activities on social media. I believe they lost all interest on the challenges and they recicle everything.
Also almost all big booktubers don’t put effort on booktubeathon so I kind of lost interest and I watch the smallest ones.
About the reviews I totally agree for example Hailey in book land when she does wraps ups all she says is I love this book or I hate it but she doesn’t explain why. I feel that emmabooks at least tries to explain something about her lectures. They should try to give an open opinion and not just say I love it or I hate it because it’s your job to explain the reasons

Chuchi
Informer
Informer

Post by Chuchi »

My problem with the bigger booktubers is that they prefer quantity over quality. They need to talk about different books every week and for that they have to read a lot, ergo they choose simple reads (even if they are long science fiction books) that they can finish quickly and don't require a lot of analysis before posting a review or talking about them. That's why a lot of them LOVE the books that read fast in one seating (and a month later don't remember the basic plot!).
Most adult fiction books, requiere the opposite. You have to see all the little elements that make the book (prose, dialogue, characters, plot) and analyze from there, reviewing is more that saying the way the book made you feel. I sometimes read a book slowly over the course of a month, I can't see many of them doing that.
Also I've been watching some youtubers for years and being the same age as them I can't see myself connecting with a YA coming of age story at this point in my life.-

Sparksdragon
Informer
Informer

Post by Sparksdragon »

Chuchi wrote:My problem with the bigger booktubers is that they prefer quantity over quality. They need to talk about different books every week and for that they have to read a lot, ergo they choose simple reads (even if they are long science fiction books) that they can finish quickly and don't require a lot of analysis before posting a review or talking about them. That's why a lot of them LOVE the books that read fast in one seating (and a month later don't remember the basic plot!).
Most adult fiction books, requiere the opposite. You have to see all the little elements that make the book (prose, dialogue, characters, plot) and analyze from there, reviewing is more that saying the way the book made you feel. I sometimes read a book slowly over the course of a month, I can't see many of them doing that.
Also I've been watching some youtubers for years and being the same age as them I can't see myself connecting with a YA coming of age story at this point in my life.-
Thats not true. If you are really into a book you can finish it in two days whether it is ya or adult. If you cant do that than you can still do one adult book a month, reading it while you read whatever ya book. And lets be real it is not like theyre going to be reading something like gravitys rainbow.

Champagne_Sea
Learner
Learner

Post by Champagne_Sea »

Chuchi wrote: Also I've been watching some youtubers for years and being the same age as them I can't see myself connecting with a YA coming of age story at this point in my life.-
Same here. I feel like I've outgrown my old favorite booktubers, and it took me a long time to realize. I was growing up and my interests were changing, and I'd turn to my favorite youtubers only to find myself completely HATING their recommendations I used to rely on. I couldn't figure out why this was happening. How could our similar reading tastes suddenly become so harshly opposite? Why were these videos I used to find so entertaining, suddenly so irritating??
It finally hit me that it's been 6+ years since I started watching some of these people. I'm in my late twenties now and crave books about people my own age, dealing with adult situations. And I want adult commentary and discussion on the content of these books. Yet, my old faves are recommending books about teenagers 95% of the time, and "reviewing" books like they're 12 100% of the time. I guess their goal is really to pull in a continuous young audience, not to keep us around once we've grown.
fine for them, sad for us

yeahiguess
Talker
Talker

Post by yeahiguess »

Is anybody else who follows Lindsey on Instagram a little uncomfortable with how every single post she makes has to mention god?? I understand she's extremely religious and her husband is a pastor (and what she posts to her social media is her choice) but it makes me feel.... Preached at.

While I like following her writing stuff, I'm considering unfollowing her because while I support people's beliefs and what makes them happy, I tend to actively avoid preachy individuals due to my personal bad experiences and perceptions of intense Christian/Catholicism. I don't mind including it naturally in her posts and blogs, but this feels a bit overwhelming.

Am I the only one who thinks so????

Slackerbitch
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Slackerbitch »

NicoleThePickle wrote:
Slackerbitch wrote:I have no problems with YA- like in every genre, some are good, some are great and some are just pure trash. BUT, in my opinion, restricting yourself to only one genre is boring and makes you uninteresting as a reader to me. As mentioned above me, some YA do fall into the same cookie cutter John Green-esque books with the same characters, might throw in an LGBTQ+ character to get a star for being "diverse" and sugar coating cause the target audience is teens.

Also, can we stop being so shocked that books that King wrote 40 years ago aren't PC approved?
Which booktubers are talking about King?
Natasha of myreadingisodd mentioned it a couple of times,Adriana of Perpetual Pages did an entire video on IT

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know what Kat does? Like careerwise?

I was watching an old bookshelf tour (the one from spring 2013 at 5:55) and I saw an LSAT book. I thought it was interesting.

NicoleThePickle
Debater
Debater

Post by NicoleThePickle »

Slackerbitch wrote:
NicoleThePickle wrote:
Slackerbitch wrote:I have no problems with YA- like in every genre, some are good, some are great and some are just pure trash. BUT, in my opinion, restricting yourself to only one genre is boring and makes you uninteresting as a reader to me. As mentioned above me, some YA do fall into the same cookie cutter John Green-esque books with the same characters, might throw in an LGBTQ+ character to get a star for being "diverse" and sugar coating cause the target audience is teens.

Also, can we stop being so shocked that books that King wrote 40 years ago aren't PC approved?

Natasha of myreadingisodd mentioned it a couple of times,Adriana of Perpetual Pages did an entire video on IT
I just started reading some comments on Adriana's video and they're all "thank you for reading it and hating it so now I personally never have to read a King book in my life". Kill me

Rhaenys
Debater
Debater

Post by Rhaenys »

i just wanna say that i'm glad InsaneReader is back. he really is a breath of fresh air on booktube

also those King comments yikes. let's all judge him by one of his books that we saw someone else read

birkin420
Learner
Learner

Post by birkin420 »

NicoleThePickle wrote:
Slackerbitch wrote:
NicoleThePickle wrote:

I just started reading some comments on Adriana's video and they're all "thank you for reading it and hating it so now I personally never have to read a King book in my life". Kill me
I like Natasha. She'll give a nod it in passing but she doesn't focus on it. She's a mature reader and not an easily triggered sjw mess.

yeahiguess
Talker
Talker

Post by yeahiguess »

So Christine's released the details about her book. Thoughts?? Personally, I'm not into romcom contemps, but those of you who are, what do you think?

JamHands9
Informer
Informer

Post by JamHands9 »

oldenglishwriters wrote:Does anyone know what Kat does? Like careerwise?

I was watching an old bookshelf tour (the one from spring 2013 at 5:55) and I saw an LSAT book. I thought it was interesting.
I don’t think she has a job. She’s never mentioned one. No idea how she affords to live though since she doesn’t post videos often.

LaurieShelby
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LaurieShelby »

yeahiguess wrote:So Christine's released the details about her book. Thoughts?? Personally, I'm not into romcom contemps, but those of you who are, what do you think?
Tbh I’m kind of surprised since almost all booktubers are writing either fantasy or romantic contemp so a romcom seems nice let’s see how the book is.
I always wonder the same about Kat and Christine I mean do they have jobs outside of YouTube?

hxgsandkxssxs
Informer
Informer

Post by hxgsandkxssxs »

To look at a 1980s book with a 2018 lens is illogical. Even some early 2000s books would be deemed unacceptable by todays standards. To throw a fit about it is like erasing the historical and cultural context from which that book was born. People WERE more ignorant back then, and I’m pretty sure that the hyper-sensitivity plaguing us now is not too great either.

Still cannot believe The Black Witch was burned at the stake for nothing more than a chain of misunderstood, misdirected anger. Can people not write about sensitive subjects anymore? Does every character have to be a sanctimonious angel?

Champagne_Sea
Learner
Learner

Post by Champagne_Sea »

hxgsandkxssxs wrote:To look at a 1980s book with a 2018 lens is illogical. Even some early 2000s books would be deemed unacceptable by todays standards. To throw a fit about it is like erasing the historical and cultural context from which that book was born. People WERE more ignorant back then, and I’m pretty sure that the hyper-sensitivity plaguing us now is not too great either.

Still cannot believe The Black Witch was burned at the stake for nothing more than a chain of misunderstood, misdirected anger. Can people not write about sensitive subjects anymore? Does every character have to be a sanctimonious angel?

Preach. These people have some odd mix of victim mentality and a hero complex. It's like they read books with the intent of being offended, and then they run to social media to burn the book and author at the stake so they can feel like the Social Justice Hero. It's very twisted and juvenile. It stunts growth and conversation, as pointed out above, they have their followers blindly saying "thanks for reading it so I don't have to". really?? Let one person read all the books for us and decide what's appropriate for the masses? Sounds awfully frightening to me.
And I will never get over the audacity of certain booktubers, one in particular, "educating" authors on how to be more sensitive and socially aware. The second-hand embarrassment is strong.

Harrietthespy
Learner
Learner

Post by Harrietthespy »

hxgsandkxssxs wrote:To look at a 1980s book with a 2018 lens is illogical. Even some early 2000s books would be deemed unacceptable by todays standards. To throw a fit about it is like erasing the historical and cultural context from which that book was born. People WERE more ignorant back then, and I’m pretty sure that the hyper-sensitivity plaguing us now is not too great either.

I agree with your first paragraph. But Black Witch was so poorly executed and hollow. The author made a horrible and naive attempt at her themes and character development. The racism in that book stands out because the author did a horrible job and attempting to show her main character overcome her racist views and upbringing. The other characters that endured the racism were simply props so that the main character could could go.

JamHands9
Informer
Informer

Post by JamHands9 »

Agreed. And it goes the other way too.

The Austentatious Book Club (that was Zoe, Hannah, Natasha, Joce, and Maureen) discussed Little Women and thought Jo March might be transgender. But they completely ignored the historical context of the book which was so frustrating.

Return to “BookTube”