How do you like to travel? Routines, ect.

Primadxnna
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do you like to travel? Routines, ect.

Post by Primadxnna »

Okay, so I'm a frequent flyer, and somehow I'm always looking for new ways to pack everything in my closet to take with me :lol:

Does anyone here do the same? Or do you have any routines?

I usually take three bags.
Two that go on the bottom of the plane and my carry on.
All I put in my carry on is makeup and other stuff that I want to have with me, everything else goes in the other two bags.

I usually pack everything and then I always leave like 5 things. (I do have to pack alot, tho. I usually visit my dad for two months).
I always hate fixing my hair and doing my makeup to travel. Usually I try to dress nice but I fail at that too.
I never eat before flying because I get so happy/anxious to see my dad that I'd throw up. Lemon water is a need for me.
Usually, I bring ALL my makeup with me, and never use any of it.

I travel standby so I never know if I'm actually leaving that day. I always get so scared that my bags will get lost/stolen if I lost my flight. :? (Already happened once)

How about you girls? :)

kathpt
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Re: How do you like to travel? Routines, ect.

Post by kathpt »

I don't fly often but when I do I'm always out of the country for about a week to 10 days. I usually take a bag that I check in, and my purse. In my purse I don't really have much, just my day to day items PLUS my makeup and brushes. The thought of my big bag getting lost hurts more than losing all my clothes, so I just pack my most precious items in the purse that's staying with me.
I'm a good packer so I never overpack or underpack, the suitcase I have is medium (I could take that if I were to fly low cost and was only allowed one bag total).
I don't get nervous or sickly but I do usually get migraines mid flight.
I dress casual and my makeup, if I have any on, is really simple. Probably just a bit of foundation and concealer and chapstick.

Forever Eccentric
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Forever Eccentric »

I pack the day before laying out each other outfit and then I like to weigh my suitcase. I usually put an extra outfit into my carry on in case my suitcase gets lost. I always bring some of my favorite snacks, books, and magazines. I really want to get an IPad for my upcoming trip to Florida. 176 more days until I leave

Primadxnna
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Primadxnna »

I pack the day before too :? Its kind of bad because it usually takes me 2 hours to pack up all my stuff.

Also, I forgot to add, I never sleep the day before traveling. I just sleep on the plane because I find plane rides to be so boring

If you travel as a standby, you're required to dress nice just in case you get a seat in first class. :roll: Ugh

paige2x
Learner
Learner

Post by paige2x »

I pack the day before, I organize a couple of outfits, and it depends how long i'm staying if i'm staying a week i'll pack a lot, but only for 2 days or so I usually pack 4 outfits, and I lay them out on my bed, put shoes, and jewelry with them and pack them. Then I get PJ's a warm pair, and a cold pair type. Then I make a list of what to get in the morning (toothbrush, chargers, etc) so i make sure I grab them. When I'm at my hotel or whatever, I try to keep everything in my suit case.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

I've been flying back and forth from school to my parents' through my 4 years of college, about 4 to 5 times every year (so 8 to 10 plane rides in total). At first, I'd definitely overpack. But I learned how to travel light since I'd always be going by myself so I wanted to carry as little as possible.

I pack two bags only. One is my backpack which doubles as my computer bag because it's designed to have a sleeve for it on the inside. I put that bag under the seat in front of me since it counts as my personal item. I pack important stuff in there like my documents if I have any, chargers, money, and some reading or something for the plane. I also put a light sweater in there if it's summer since the airport is air conditioned.
The second bag is my small rolling carry-on. I put my clothes in there and other necessary stuff. I plan out how many days I'm staying wherever I'm going and only take that much stuff, plus one extra. So if I'm staying for a week, I'll pack 7 pairs of underwear plus one extra pair just in case. Same goes for socks, etc. For a week, I'll take about two pairs of pants and like five tops, and maybe one or two sweaters. Sometimes I'll take an extra pair of shoes if I know I'll need them. I pack all the soft stuff by rolling them into little tubes and putting them against each other tightly to save space. (For large stuff like chunky sweaters and jeans, I'll just lay them flat.) Then I'll take one purse and I'll put my underwear and bras in there so that just in case the bag opens, that stuff won't fall out all over the place, and it's also a space saver. I put my purse in the carryon because then I don't have to check it since I use a bookbag as my personal item as I said earlier. My rolling bag has a pocket on the outside, and that's where I put the little zip-lock bag with my liquids (I don't take a lot of those either) so that it's easy to pull out for security.

I take the absolute minimum I'll need and I've learned to breeze through security and fly through the airport with my stuff really quickly.
imma ball til the day i fall

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

I usually only travel for 3-4 days at a time, so one carry-on and my purse (which is, admittedly, quite large) is all I usually need. And my carry-on isn't even a suitcase, it's just a training bag that I got as a "going away present" from my volleyball team in high school. But it fits all of my clothes, shoes and hair supplies, so that's good enough for me. I only bring outfits for the number of days I'll be there, plus a couple extra tops and an extra pair of jeans in case something happens, so I'm pretty good about not over packing. Quick tip: I've found that rolling my clothes instead of folding them really helps!! I used to only be able to fit one extra pair of shoes, because my folded clothes took up so much room, but since I've started rolling them I can fit 2-3 extra pairs of shoes in the bag :) Everything else--makeup, skincare, personal items, etc--I keep in my purse. Yes, my purse really is that large. It still fits under the seat, though, so we're good. I never have to take much, considering I only take short trips, so it only takes me an hour or so to pack. I usually do it the night before I leave. I could do it the day I leave, but for some reason I always choose incredibly early flights (4am to 5am). My friend is having a destination wedding in September, though, and the whole bridal party is booked at the hotel for two weeks--yay for the most wonderful bridesmaids gift ever--so I don't even know how I'm going to manage to pack for that one. Clothes for two weeks--not to mention my dress and shoes--are simply not going to fit into a gym bag. I just hate the idea of checked luggage :(

I try to be as organized and efficient as possible when I travel. It's not even TSA that bothers me (I've never had a problem and even at a busy airport like LAX or JFK I've always gone through TSA rather quickly). I've just always hated traveling with people who either A) pack everything in their entire house for a 3 day trip and bring 4 suitcases for a single weekend and/or B) try to fit everything they own into one HUGE carry-on that takes up half of the overhead. The oversized carry-on bags are the big one, though. Sometimes I wonder how some of these people even make it on the plane with these huge ass suitcases they bring. And then there's me with my moderately sized gym bag and the lady at the kiosk is like "Hunny you're going to have to check that, it might be over the limit"...bitch it weighs 20 pounds! What about that guy in front of me with a suitcase that's the size of my freaking car? And then of course those huge ass suitcases take up all the room in the overhead so that when I can't shove mine in, I'm the first person to be told that my bag has to be checked. Oh no, my dear, my little tiny gym bag is staying. Thankfully that's only happened once and one of the men a few rows up from me volunteered to check his instead or I would have been belligerent haha I know it's supposed to be "first come, first served," but when there are 27 MASSIVE suitcases that should not have even made it past check-in, my little bag is not going anywhere.

Okay, that's the end of my off-topic rant. Yeah basically I pack light when I fly lol
Wonderland ♥ wrote: If you travel as a standby, you're required to dress nice just in case you get a seat in first class. :roll: Ugh
I've never heard that haha my friend only flies standby when we travel and she dresses like she's going to the gym!

incognito

Post by incognito »

I used to travel pretty often for work. My only tip is that I never used to take my liquids bag out of my carry-on going through security (I'm lazy), and not once did they ever say anything about it. It saves a little bit of time when you're already having to take out your laptop, take off your shoes, etc... so annoying.

Primadxnna
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Primadxnna »

BellaJane wrote:
Wonderland ♥ wrote: If you travel as a standby, you're required to dress nice just in case you get a seat in first class. :roll: Ugh
I've never heard that haha my friend only flies standby when we travel and she dresses like she's going to the gym!
Same here. You can dress how you want, but usually they require you to, just in case you get a seat in first class (which NEVER happens). When I was little, I always dressed nice just in case. Now its like eh, I'm probably getting a seat in the back with a weird family.
Usually the people that dress really nice never get in because for some reason, they get pushed to the end of the list :lol:

JenniferKelley
Lurker
Lurker

Post by JenniferKelley »

I fly about 8-10 times a year to go visit my dad and go on vacations. Usually I just stay a week at a time, so I only bring a carry on suitcase and my purse. This time around I'm not sure if I should check any luggage since I'll be staying longer but I guess I'll see when I pack.

In my purse I carry my Macbook, iPad, iPhone, chargers for all 3, earbuds, a book, wallet, passport, medications, and any liquids I'm bringing.

In my suitcase I roll my shirts, leggings and yoga pants to save room and then for the sweaters and track pants I get those space saver bags (the ones that you vacuum the air out of) and then put my shoes on top of the space saver bags. Makeup in it's own case. And underwear, socks and bras in the zip compartment.

cakewalked
Talker
Talker

Post by cakewalked »

I travel a lot! Not as much this year but I used to fly 6-10 times a year. I ALWAYS wear sweatpants or comfortable pants. I can't stand when people dress up for flights (unless they have to). I never check bags anymore because now it costs $40 per bag. I take a small suitcase for the overheard compartment and a backpack or large purse for underneath the seat. When I traveled for gymnastics competitions and vacations when we did check bags, I always put my competition leotards and/or one bathing suit in my carry on in case they lost our luggage. It happened when we went to London for the New Year's parade for cheerleading. A whole week with two outfits! Had to shop for some. Hahaha it was horrible!

Return to “Travel”