okpeach
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 13 Reasons Why ( SPOILERS)

Post by okpeach »

okpeach wrote:
camillaparri wrote:I am currently halfway through! Is the show very different from the book?
from what i remember they stick to the book very well they just add more back story to each character
oh and they changed how she committed suicide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by Guest »

Everyone already said what I was thinking about how Hannah is kinda hard to like (as well as many other characters) but, the moment I saw the trailer, I fucking knew the internet was gonna eat this shit up for the wrong reasons. I understand that the novel impacted some people the way it did for Selena Gomez but I'm personally pissed that this is the main teen suicide-themed piece of work we have now. It's actually a serious problem and all anyone can talk about is the Clay-Hannah romance or make memes about it. Or post 13 Reasons Why quotes in black and white and put "mood" in the caption.

I sound like a bitch but I'm tired of teen suicides being represented in the same way over and over, and shows rarely portraying teen suicide linked to a mental illness and/or suicide committed by people of color. I haven't watched anything on this planet so feel free to call me out but this show has just made me extremely bitter.

Hoella206969
Talker
Talker

Post by Hoella206969 »

woah, i've been on gg for over a year now and I've only just discovered these misc threads :o

anyway, I'm glad that most of you have the same opinion on Hannah as i do, as most of my friends who've watched it seemed to have sympathy for her, but she annoyed me so much. I must admit I got a bit or sympathy for her in the last couple episodes but still not a great deal, she just seemed to whine about everything and expect everyone to be perfect even though she wasn't, I think it goes without saying that im not talking about all of the scenarios here, some of them were awful and I get that it was meant to be that all them little things + the big things all resulted in her being overwhelmed and killing herself, but I felt sorry for some of the characters and didn't feel like they needed to be named and shamed (like jessica? I remember I was doing work while watching her episode so I did get a bit lost so please correct me if im wrong but it seemed like all that happened between them is they...grew apart? and then they had an argument and jessica slapped her? like, really? Clay's the only character that I actually liked, I found him so cute and awkward and actually did feel really bad for him.
Also, a bit of a pointless thing but I hated hannah hair when she cut it short, I usually like short, messy hair like that but I just didn't think it suited her at all.

Layla0606
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Layla0606 »

Hoella206969 wrote: and didn't feel like they needed to be named and shamed (like jessica? I remember I was doing work while watching her episode so I did get a bit lost so please correct me if im wrong but it seemed like all that happened between them is they...grew apart? and then they had an argument and jessica slapped her? like, really?
yeah some of the things she got oooh so traumatized by were petty highschool things, like this few months bestie-ship with jessica. so dramatic.

also, I read in the imdb trivia that filming was so sad for the actors that they had therapy puppies that they played with every one or 2 hours between shoots. i'm sorry but that's so 1st world again, an actor should know to act out a character without getting mentally drained (might be different shooting a hardcore thriller or when heath ledger played the joker etc.) but this is a highschool tv show ffs, the only way it would be really though for an actor is if they went through very similar things but honestly I don't think it's the case.

Post by Guest »

Layla0606 wrote:
Hoella206969 wrote: and didn't feel like they needed to be named and shamed (like jessica? I remember I was doing work while watching her episode so I did get a bit lost so please correct me if im wrong but it seemed like all that happened between them is they...grew apart? and then they had an argument and jessica slapped her? like, really?
yeah some of the things she got oooh so traumatized by were petty highschool things, like this few months bestie-ship with jessica. so dramatic.

also, I read in the imdb trivia that filming was so sad for the actors that they had therapy puppies that they played with every one or 2 hours between shoots. i'm sorry but that's so 1st world again, an actor should know to act out a character without getting mentally drained (might be different shooting a hardcore thriller or when heath ledger played the joker etc.) but this is a highschool tv show ffs, the only way it would be really though for an actor is if they went through very similar things but honestly I don't think it's the case.
It's funny how they needed therapy dogs for acting out rape and suicide when people who have actually experienced it can barely get treatment. Sorry, I'm still bitter.

Bones_G2
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Bones_G2 »

Layla0606 wrote:when I saw the ambulance I thought that Clay just shot Bryce!

I didn't particularly sympathize with any characters at all, they all seemed like clueless 1st world crybabies.. that's what made the whole tvshow kinda annoying, it never happens to not have a single character I like even the slightest :?
Okay I get what you're saying but at the same time I think that this kind of thinking is exactly why this show is so important. To be honest I feel like people who form this opinion kind of missed the point. How many teens commit suicide and all you hear about is how completely shocked everyone around them was because its so unbelievable? How they just can't imagine what could have possibly caused that person to commit suicide because they had so many positive things going for them in their life? These teens may be special snowflakes, they may be crybabies, they may live in a 1st world country and therefore have 1st world problems and they still want to and some do kill themselves.
The beauty community has become the HSN of YouTube

whatevenbabe
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by whatevenbabe »

I think it could have been a lot less offensive if they hadn't showed what came across as gore in the suicide scene, but the show literally breaks guidelines for dealing with suicide does it not??

Return to “Drama”