For those of you who dye your hair black...

Izabella

For those of you who dye your hair black...

Post by Izabella »

1) Do you know what a good dye is? I use L'oreal Feria, which is a good colour, but it fades within like 3 weeks. I want something long lasting.
2) What shampoo/conditioner do you use?
3) Does coconut or castor oil affect anything? I've been using them for overnight masks and am wondering if that could be a reason why my hair fades?

VeronicaSawyer

Re: For those of you who dye your hair black...

Post by VeronicaSawyer »

1) I use Garnier Olia in black. I actually like the color of the regular Garnier dye in blue black better, but that has ammonia in it, so I try to avoid it. I find that the Olia makes my hair look and feel very healthy and shiny. The lasting power is pretty much as good as it gets with a boxed dye--and I've tried almost every brand available over the years.
2) Right now, I happen to be using the Herbal Essences Color me Happy Shampoo, simply because it's cheap and I like the way it smells. I also sometimes use the Garnier Color Shield. I always just use the matching conditioner. Something that works absolute wonders for my hair (which is why I'm willing to pay the semi-hefty price tag) is the It's a 10 Miracle Hair Mask. I feel that it really does make my color last longer, and I only have to use it about once or twice a week for tangle-free, soft, shiny hair.
3) I haven't tried using coconut or castor oil, so I don't know if that has an effect on the lasting power of your hair color. I don't know what your natural color is, but my natural color is dirty blonde, and even after dying my hair black for 4 years, it still fades. There's nothing that can be done about that, really, it's just something that comes along with dying your hair. It doesn't seem like using coconut or castor oil would fade your color though, so you can probably keep using them.

BetterOffDead
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BetterOffDead »

If you want absolute staying power...
Dollar Tree dyes.
I used it once in an "I have an interview coming up and I'm broke" moment and it took three bleaching sessions to get it OUT of my hair....4 months later.
So, if you don't plan on bleaching your hair [because mine is now a lovely shade of fried], I totally recommend it, because it has absolute staying power.

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by hollaatmegurl »

1) Do you know what a good dye is? Tbh I hated Feria because the 3 times I tried using the Bright Black (I think it was called) it actually completely washed out of my hair within a week. And idk why because I don't really have problems with dye not taking to my hair so I've just been too scared to try that one again in case it happened a fourth time lol. BUT I did really love the L'oreal Black Richesse in Intense Blue Black but they discontinued that ( :( ) but I think their new color Midnight Sapphire or something is supposed to be pretty close to that. Wow that was really long-winded lol my apologies. Do you dye your hair blue black or just black?

2) What shampoo/conditioner do you use?
Renpure Originals in the Argan formula. Seriously this stuff changed my hair life. It's sulfate free and free of a lot of other stuff too. I always just look for good sulfate-free ones because a lot of the color care shampoos and stuff still have sulfates in them which will just fade your dye faster. When I used regular shampoo the blue tinge of my dye would fade out pretty quickly and soon after the black would fade a bit, then I switched to some Giovanni sulfate-free and saw a little improvement, and then I went to the Renpure and my dye is vibrant until I need to dye it again.

3) Does coconut or castor oil affect anything?
Coconut oil shouldn't, I use that on my hair a lot and it's never really affected anything. For the castor oil...I'm not positive and my logic is probably shitty but I think that MIGHT be able to cause dye to fade??? My reasoning behind that is because with oil cleansing for the face, people use castor oil because it's like the 'magnet' oil that pulls stuff out from your skin so I feel like it could do the same on hair and make it fade quicker. But I'm not sure, so :?

usernamexhere
Informer
Informer

Post by usernamexhere »

1). I'm not loyal to any specific dye because A. My hair is strong and can handle being put through a lot of chemicals, and B. No matter what brand I use, I have to do my roots twice to match the rest of my hair because I am naturally a dark blonde.

2). For shampoos, Paul Mitchell Color Care and Giovanni Boldy Black are the only ones I've found that don't cause the color to fade. For conditioner I use Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle.

3). Yes they can. Using any type of oil as a hair mask can cause dye to pull out. I don't think it happens to everyone, but I've experienced it and I know others have as well.
"It's a human need to be told stories. The more we're governed by idiots and have no control over our destinies, the more we need to tell stories to each other about who we are, why we are, where we come from, and what might be possible."

candyfluff
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by candyfluff »

1. Natural Instincts in Neutral Black! I know it is supposed to be non-permanent, but I swear it lasts longer than any drugstore permanent black I have ever tried and it does not fade nor start to turn red on me. I love the stuff! Just a word of caution, you will see grey water at the bottom of your shower every time you wash your hair and you will freak out thinking all the dye has washed out, but low and behold your hair will remain black when you step out of the shower. I no longer question this witchcraft, I just enjoy it. It leaves your hair feeling great after dying and the conditioner is freaking awesome too.

2.I use whatever Herbal Essences I can find on sale. Usually black fades, but I find with Natural Instincts you don't need to worry about fading nor be super picky with shampoo. When I used other black dyes in the past, I would use the colour protecting line from Colourise (sp?? The fake Pureology stuff...) at Sally's, Loreal's Colour Resistance in the red bottles, or Herbal Essences Hello Hydration line. I found the Herbal Essences Colour line actually made my hair dye fade quicker!

3. I have not had any problems with coconut oil in the past, but I have had problems using Vatika's coconut oil mix that contains trace amounts of henna. The stuff caused my hair to take on that dreaded red tinge that black dye often fades too.

aaliyah345
Lurker
Lurker

Post by aaliyah345 »

I had the exact same problem and I found a solution... Only problem is it's a little expensive but worth it in the long run. Before you dye your hair make sure 4 weeks before colouring that you wash hair with a protein shampoo and conditioner (Redken is good) then the day before you dye it spray it with protein spray... this helps hold the colour. Forget box dyes and get it done professionally, it's a lot more expensive but you won't be left with a horrible faded brown colour after 3 weeks. After you have your hair dyed at the salon buy some shampoo their too, colour protect shampoo, this will help the colour stick and just keep using the protein spray. :tu:

canyounot24
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by canyounot24 »

I like Loreal Superior Preference - Darkest Brown, comes out black, yet not as "harsh".

I use an Australian shampoo/conditioner (I'm Aussie) I use Juuce Smooth As conditioner and shampoo. Doesn't affect my colour.

Some masks may be rather cleansing which may cause a clarifying effect which will allow for dye to be removed..i'd stick with only rinse out in shower masks if I was you, and check they're colour safe and stick with products that are colour safe :) I'm sure you know this but just saying :)

dollheart
Lurker
Lurker

Post by dollheart »

The best black hair dye i've ever used is the Clairol Nice and Easy one, that stuff stays in my hair for MONTHS. I use natural black and it makes my hair so shiny and reflective black, basically exactly as I want it :love2:

Return to “Hair Care”