Intermittent Fasting & Acne

Eazy5
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Intermittent Fasting & Acne

Post by Eazy5 »

Hey guys! This is my first post as I just wanted to see if anyone on here has experiences with Intermittent Fasting worth sharing?..

I just wanted to share as I had been dealing with moderate cystic acne since I was about 12/13 years old. I had tried every single thing, all the topicals out there, antibiotics, other pills... even went on accurate which only made it worse. I used to cut out all kinds of foods from my diet because I feared they would make me break out. I wouldn't eat chocolate, anything with sugar in it (even fruit), dairy, bread, any processed foods. I just wanted nothing else than to get rid of my acne.

I am very active and weight lift about 5-7 times a week and just last year competed in my first bodybuilding (npc bikini) show. This summer, I worked at an internship where I was sitting in a desk all day. People in my office would keep the worst snacks in the lunch room for us, and the only way to keep myself from eating all that crap was to not eat at all so I ended up not eating until I got home. To my surprise, it wasn't even that hard as I was just sitting at a desk all day. I would also stop on my way home from work and train fasted. Then I remembered one of my former co-workers from a past job told me he did intermittent fasting and I realized that that is what I had been doing. After about a month doing IF, I noticed my skin for the first time had cleared up. Nothing else had changed.

Reading into a lot of studies posted online, I found out just how powerful IF is for decreasing inflammation. While you give your body a break from food, it can spend all its time and energy on repairing other things, like for me, fighting inflammation. I've also been able to slowly add back in foods that I crave from time to time, and don't have to be as crazy strict and restrict myself from any and everything that used to make me break out. I feel like even if I do consume dairy, which was my biggest fear before, giving my body those extra hours to repair itself, any inflammation the dairy may have caused doesn't seem to cause an impact on my skin anymore. :D

What are your experiences with IF?

BossCrown
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Intermittent Fasting & Acne

Post by BossCrown »

I too have good experiences, also for someone who used to see food as comfort (emotional eater) it can be a really good way to just view it as fuel.

Izabella

Post by Izabella »

I IF every day for 16 hours and some days I'll go 20-22 hours without eating. I haven't been working out this past month since I've been swamped with school and it's still been a good way to manage my weight. The best part is, it has saved me a lot of money, since I don't buy food when I'm out of the house for 12 hours a day, and I just eat when I get home. I haven't really noticed it doing anything to my skin, since I know my breakouts are caused by dairy. I think the real benefits of IF aren't visible to us.. like prevention of disease, cell atrophy, reduced inflammation, etc.

V O L U M E
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by V O L U M E »

IF was easy for me since I normally skip breakfast. I didn't notice a difference in my skin. It has saved me a lot of money on food because I can only eat during a small period of time. I am a volume eater so IF is another plus for me.

Libby_UK
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Libby_UK »

I fasted for 20 hours for thirty during Ramadan, it was for religious grounds. I only had one meal in the evening which consisted of healthy protein dishes and water. I was having no dairy, no caffeine and sugar. I would have grilled chicken, or lamb with vegetables, all clean foods.

After the 30 days I became toned and a size 8 (without exercising), my skin was glowing and my hair thicker. It just showed how much rubbish I put in my body and it taught me I don't need to snack so much. I'm not going to die if I watch tv without snacks.

I'm a big believer in fasting, look at the pros of fasting for 30 days on the trot. The body goes through a healing process and you will feel amazing after 15 days, the first week is the most difficult. Afterwards the skin starts to clear up and you get this energy from somewhere.

Now I fast twice a week, or up to 3 times depending on my social activity.

Return to “Diet”