pewdiepie

beigepug21
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: pewdiepie

Post by beigepug21 »

He's a 27 year old man who knows the historical connotations of the n word and still chooses to use it. Let's stop making excuses and speak clearly - Felix is a racist.

Butterflywing
Informer
Informer

Post by Butterflywing »

Still wish him death.

Mod can delete my post if they want. I despise Felix and want his world to crumble.
God damn m raging just thinking about him.

Serendipitous
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Serendipitous »

beigepug21 wrote:He's a 27 year old man who knows the historical connotations of the n word and still chooses to use it. Let's stop making excuses and speak clearly - Felix is a racist.
Thank you.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

I really find this so hard to wrap my head around.

First of all I feel like the "left" and "right" angles on this type of issue have been shifting so fast lately that I don't even know what camp I'm in anymore and it's kind of uncomfortable to be honest.

I don't believe that one word should have so much power that it can destroy someone's career... not because I don't think that one word can be that harmful, but because I don't believe that any word deserves that level of power anymore and I would rather people air their dirt so we can talk about it than keep it behind closed doors and we can never fix it.

That said, I never say the N-word. I don't say it at home, I don't say it when I'm drunk, I don't say it when I'm playing games, so I can never get caught in public saying it... because it's just not in my vocabulary, and I've never understood people's need to ADD it to their vocabulary, what MAKES you adopt a word like that when you know its history? When there are so many equally aggressive and less harmful words that you can use? I just... I don't want to give any word too much power but I have trouble understanding why anyone feels the need to use the N-word. You can just not. And the fact that you can "slip up" using it means you use it a lot more in your personal life and I just really don't get that?!

I'm European and when I moved to the US I was actually shocked at how many Americans I met, who considered themselves firmly progressive and not racist, who used to N-word on a day to day basis... it shocked me because it was THEIR television shows that had been telling me that nobody but the KKK pretty much still uses that word. I find it a really puzzling word in social context... also because racial issues in the US are very unique and separated from the rest of the world... so I find it really hard to assign a certain amount of power to the word outside the US social setting... and at the same time I find it even harder to understand why anyone outside that context would even have the word in their vocabulary.

So I don't know, man.

I judge PewDiePie because as a fellow white European I don't understand why he's using the word in the first place if not to be an edgelord.

But I also am really sick of everyone sitting ready with pitchforks and torches waiting for someone to say ONE word to try and utterly destroy them and pretend it's the word's fault.

I'm confused. The world is confusing. I'm getting old. I should find a cabin in the woods somewhere and never deal with this shit again.
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

makeupmenace
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by makeupmenace »

I have never posted on this thread before, but a link from IGN popped up in my Facebook feed and my god, I couldn't believe it. 99% of comments were apologists. What...how...what? How are so many people okay with this? I can tell you all right now, in my circle of friends, all of us have been playing video games longer than this chump and none of us have ever, ever used a racist slur because we got "angry". That's what casual swearing or rage quitting is for.
Blending is my cardio.

Branola
Informer
Informer

Post by Branola »

DaylightAmy wrote:I really find this so hard to wrap my head around.

First of all I feel like the "left" and "right" angles on this type of issue have been shifting so fast lately that I don't even know what camp I'm in anymore and it's kind of uncomfortable to be honest.

I don't believe that one word should have so much power that it can destroy someone's career... not because I don't think that one word can be that harmful, but because I don't believe that any word deserves that level of power anymore and I would rather people air their dirt so we can talk about it than keep it behind closed doors and we can never fix it.

That said, I never say the N-word. I don't say it at home, I don't say it when I'm drunk, I don't say it when I'm playing games, so I can never get caught in public saying it... because it's just not in my vocabulary, and I've never understood people's need to ADD it to their vocabulary, what MAKES you adopt a word like that when you know its history? When there are so many equally aggressive and less harmful words that you can use? I just... I don't want to give any word too much power but I have trouble understanding why anyone feels the need to use the N-word. You can just not. And the fact that you can "slip up" using it means you use it a lot more in your personal life and I just really don't get that?!

I'm European and when I moved to the US I was actually shocked at how many Americans I met, who considered themselves firmly progressive and not racist, who used to N-word on a day to day basis... it shocked me because it was THEIR television shows that had been telling me that nobody but the KKK pretty much still uses that word. I find it a really puzzling word in social context... also because racial issues in the US are very unique and separated from the rest of the world... so I find it really hard to assign a certain amount of power to the word outside the US social setting... and at the same time I find it even harder to understand why anyone outside that context would even have the word in their vocabulary.

So I don't know, man.

I judge PewDiePie because as a fellow white European I don't understand why he's using the word in the first place if not to be an edgelord.

But I also am really sick of everyone sitting ready with pitchforks and torches waiting for someone to say ONE word to try and utterly destroy them and pretend it's the word's fault.

I'm confused. The world is confusing. I'm getting old. I should find a cabin in the woods somewhere and never deal with this shit again.
No offense but you can think you're progressive without actually being so (hence what you saw when you visited the US). The only person's opinions who matter on this are black folks. You said you're not American, but I'm sure you've learned about our history. Racism has never gone away in our country. I, as a black american woman can't go to a good majority of the states in my own damn country because I get slurs thrown at me, bad service, and death stares. And those experiences are the lucky ones! The n-word is a derogatory word and it only means one thing. It doesn't matter if you're not from the US, the word only has one meaning. Curse when you get frustrated, yell incoherent noises, whatever. But choosing to use that word, a word that is very clear in it's meaning and history, even after being asked to please not to by the people it refers to, is wrong and upsetting.

Frankly, it's not that hard to realize why one shouldn't use it. When black people, which the n-word SPECIFICALLY refers to, who have gone through years of oppression (which continues today) tell you not to use the word, you shouldn't. The only people who are allowed to speak the word (I personally don't like using it. Just hearing it greatly upsets me, and I was called it once in person by a white dude and couldn't stop crying for hours). I felt so scared and upset. So just because some people think it's a word of the past. IT'S NOT. It still affects black folks greatly to this day.

So I don't really understand what's to "wrap your head around". All we ask is for the word to not be used. There's so many other words to choose from why do people want to argue their right to use a word, which is a hurtful slur, SO BADLY???

Also the way it was said, and how he said "I forgot I was streaming" means he uses this slur on the reg for it to just slip out. As we all know he's not even American. He used to actually cuss in Swedish when he got frustrated, and yet somehow picked up using the n-word. He was warned once and asked not to use it, and yet he continues to, and it's clear he has never stopped.

Sorry for such a long response, but to me it's very clear. And on issues of slurs people should be listening to the large group of black folks who are simply asking you not to use it.

We're not sitting and waiting for people to fuck up. We're specifically, right here, and right now talking about Felix, a man who has a huge influence and has had a bazillion chances to change and learn and grow. I'm all for people who made mistakes doing racist shit in the past learning and owning up. I don't focus on the past, it's who someone is now. I even continued to watch him after his first couple controversies because he apologized and again I'm all for people learning. Especially a dude who lives in privilege and spends all his time online, he obviously hasn't been very exposed to things. But when it's clear previous forgiveness and chances are wasted. We have a right to be angry.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

Branola wrote:
DaylightAmy wrote:I really find this so hard to wrap my head around.

So I don't know, man.

No offense but you can think you're progressive without actually being so (hence what you saw when you visited the US). The only person's opinions who matter on this are black folks. You said you're not American, but I'm sure you've learned about our history. Racism has never gone away in our country. I, as a black american woman can't go to a good majority of the states in my own damn country because I get slurs thrown at me, bad service, and death stares. And those experiences are the lucky ones! The n-word is a derogatory word and it only means one thing. It doesn't matter if you're not from the US, the word only has one meaning. Curse when you get frustrated, yell incoherent noises, whatever. But choosing to use that word, a word that is very clear in it's meaning and history, even after being asked to please not to by the people it refers to, is wrong and upsetting.

Frankly, it's not that hard to realize why one shouldn't use it. When black people, which the n-word SPECIFICALLY refers to, who have gone through years of oppression (which continues today) tell you not to use the word, you shouldn't. The only people who are allowed to speak the word (I personally don't like using it. Just hearing it greatly upsets me, and I was called it once in person by a white dude and couldn't stop crying for hours). I felt so scared and upset. So just because some people think it's a word of the past. IT'S NOT. It still affects black folks greatly to this day.

So I don't really understand what's to "wrap your head around". All we ask is for the word to not be used. There's so many other words to choose from why do people want to argue their right to use a word, which is a hurtful slur, SO BADLY???

Also the way it was said, and how he said "I forgot I was streaming" means he uses this slur on the reg for it to just slip out. As we all know he's not even American. He used to actually cuss in Swedish when he got frustrated, and yet somehow picked up using the n-word. He was warned once and asked not to use it, and yet he continues to, and it's clear he has never stopped.

Sorry for such a long response, but to me it's very clear. And on issues of slurs people should be listening to the large group of black folks who are simply asking you not to use it.

We're not sitting and waiting for people to fuck up. We're specifically, right here, and right now talking about Felix, a man who has a huge influence and has had a bazillion chances to change and learn and grow. I'm all for people who made mistakes doing racist shit in the past learning and owning up. I don't focus on the past, it's who someone is now. I even continued to watch him after his first couple controversies because he apologized and again I'm all for people learning. Especially a dude who lives in privilege and spends all his time online, he obviously hasn't been very exposed to things. But when it's clear previous forgiveness and chances are wasted. We have a right to be angry.
I fully agree with you, and I certainly NEVER said you have no right to be angry. You have every right to be angry and you shouldn't even need to educate me, and for that I'm sorry. I can only express my response from where I stand, which I did, and it is bound to not be as insightful and personal as your response to a situation like this would be. For me to pretend otherwise would be manufactured, and I don't want that, I don't want to go through the motions, hide my thoughts and tick the boxes just to sound like "the perfect ally", if I lack insight I want to be corrected openly. That's not meant as a dismissal of your experience, that's meant as honesty and commitment to grow together.

Like I said, I don't see any reason for ANYONE to still be using the word.

That said, my point is (I possibly worded it poorly) that Pewdiepie should be scolded and called out, but the moment people start calling for his career to be over you also (a) make him into a martyr, (b) play into the right-wing narrative of "free speech persecution" (which only radicalizes racists) and (c) halt the discussion... in my opinion.

Again I can only speak from where I'm sitting... and am happy to be enlightened if I'm missing things. I'm a big believer in "don't hide the ugly away" because I don't think it helps, I think it makes the ugly worse. Time I guess will tell if I'm right or wrong.
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

Branola
Informer
Informer

Post by Branola »

@DaylightAmy [Haha sorry I dunno how to cut the quotes down so it's not 12 years long]

Thanks so much for being understanding, and responding so nicely I really appreciate it!

And to answer your question I THINK it's because he influences so many people. I know that with people who have celebrity they can be overly criticized and treated unfairly, but for me personally I think it's important to take it on a case by case basis. Simply because saying people who are famous shouldn't be judged like everyday people just feels so wrong to me. They're not special, they're still human beings. But every person's situation is different, which is why when talking about Felix I'm only talking about him, not saying "Felix and so-and-so are all the same! See! They're all racists!" So if someone is upset about something someone else said/does I'm not here to lump everyone together. I just want to focus on Felix, personally.

If no one listened to what he was saying it wouldn't matter. But this dude is a millionaire. He influences hundreds of thousands of people with his content. When people were saying "why is this yelling loser making so much money?" I didn't care because he entertains people and a lot of people like it, and it's a job, so rightfully so he gets paid because of all the people he can bring him. I used to watch him, but his videos just stopped entertaining me (I prefer calmer, long let's plays instead of his style), so I stopped. Not because of anything he may have said or done. Him making money is whatever, but having influence, he can influence a lot of people. For both fans, non-fans, and people who were fans but aren't anymore we are influenced by what he does. His racist and upsetting language seeps into people's minds who haven't fully learned that those things are wrong to say (pre-teens, young teens), and they're going to repeat them and think it's cool to say them. Growing up subtle racism made me uncomfortable and very upset during times, but I couldn't put my finger on exactly how/why. Subtle racism leads to overt racism (like with what we're seeing in the States), and so people upset by his comments are afraid for themselves and their loved ones and what the future holds. He's reaching A LOT of people, and one can say "oh it's not his fault", but no matter who you are (celebrity or other form of popularity) you impact people, that's just the way it works. And that's why people are so upset and focus on him so much.

For example, just like patriarchal values while not always blatantly sexist they have formed how men treat women, etc. it's the same with subtle racism/racist overtones being a part of the content one consumes. It affects you and how you think, and how you think affects the things you say and do. And because we know just how many people he's reaching with these harmful displays, it makes people so upset and frantic.

Does that make sense?

GoP1kachuGo
Talker
Talker

Post by GoP1kachuGo »

I keep seeing a few YouTubers (for example NerdCubed) blaming Pewdiepie for the adpocalypse because of this and the other shitstorm Pewds caused. Any thoughts?

I don't feel like he can be blamed 100% (for the adpocalypse), seems like more of a scapegoat thing. He's the biggest and a lot of YouTubers seem to be quite hungry for him to fall down imo (and aren't hiding it one bit).
I feel like YouTube was starting to fall before any of this happened and this is just an opportunity to blame someone (instead of the platform itself). Lots of people were already complaining about their channels dying, a lack of ads etc. but admittedly it did worsen after the Nazi scandal... so :-?

Right now I'm just waiting for his "friends" to acknowledge what happened, to see whether they drop him immediately or try damage control.

Of course I don't agree with what Pewd's has been doing/saying and as a fan I just find it really sad.

KimiNiMuneKyun
Talker
Talker

Post by KimiNiMuneKyun »

I don't know anything about the adpocolypse. It would be funny if it were all Felix's fault; then maybe people would actually condemn him for once and urge him to stop being such an ass-hat.

What I find interesting is all the people saying that we shouldn't give the N-word power because it's just a word. But do any of these people plan on fighting racism so that this word is not negatively used against black people? Do they plan on changing the meaning and connotation of the word?
These people have no plan to abolish racism so that slurs are obsolete and mean nothing.
They want an excuse to be openly racist without any consequences. As long as racism, or any sort of bigotry, exists, slurs will always have power.

And I just don't understand why people want to use slurs so badly lol. Is it like forbidden fruit to them? Reverse psychology? What is the appeal exactly?

adven
Informer
Informer

Post by adven »

KimiNiMuneKyun wrote: And I just don't understand why people want to use slurs so badly lol. Is it like forbidden fruit to them? Reverse psychology? What is the appeal exactly?
You could say the same about people who are oddly trying to "reclaim" the homophobic slur that starts with Q.

Soso
Learner
Learner

Post by Soso »

I've been watching people responding to him today and it seems like most of them deffend him :x . Pewdiepie is like the popar kid in school, most people that show their faces on youtube are affraid to criticize him because they know his fans will attack or they just like him (for some reason)evetyone want to ne on the side of the 'cool guy' the edgy pewds :roll: :roll: .
:love2:

liarliar_
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by liarliar_ »

I really like how there was a calm and respectful discussion above and Branola: I'm so sorry for your horrible experiences with racism. I know it's still around but it's always sad to hear personal experiences.

I feel like he's gonna wait until things quiet down, maybe he thinks it'll blow over? And then maybe never even mention it. I hope that isn't the case. I hope he takes some time to truly reflect on why he thinks it's ok to say it and hopefully realizes that it isn't worth fighting to say a word that causes so much hurt and division among people. I still think in his mind he's like oh it's just a word like so many other people think but like others have mentioned above, why are people so adamant on saying it?! It comes down to selfishness and being self centered imo. They want to say a word that they know is bad because all they see is themselves being censored. They simply don't care about the effect it has on others. It's the same mentality of thinking people choose to be offended. As long as he isn't truly racist and didn't mean any harm, it's totally ok right? I feel like in first time circumstances then yeah people are going to consider the intent but regardless of intent the word itself is harmful. It's like setting a bomb and saying oh I didn't mean to hurt anyone. You know the effect it can have on just one person so if you know at least one person will be offended, don't say the word! Give up your freedom of speech in exchange that others can live comfortably and not in fear around you. It comes down to a decision and it should be a pretty easy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miriabelle
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Miriabelle »

Still no statement...hmm I'd love to be a fly on the wall rn. I wonder how he's gonna fix this one.

Post by Guest »

The sad thing is I think it`ll blow over, people forget when famous white dudes do/say offensive shit
he`ll do what he did with the "kill all the jews sign" thing, wait then make a video saying he is not racist :roll:

Post by Guest »

[video][/video]
at least he did the right thing, hopefully he`ll prove himself because as a former fan I dont trust him anymore
BUT I`ll wait to see what the future holds

revenga
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by revenga »

After all that thing with wsj to do this is just....I dont even know. I start to believe that he really is racist.

Post by Guest »

^
^
I dont, just like meowlizzz I think he is just a stupid sheltered ignorant white boy who doesnt know the weight of the words he is saying
I dont really know if he`ll learn from this, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but he doesnt help anyone who tries to defend him
Im still angry about this and I wont defend his action... but I wouldnt call this racism

losiento
Informer
Informer

Post by losiento »

of course he is a racist. how fucking unfortunate that this one has ended up being the NO.1 on youtube. the naive innocent days of Nigahiga, Smosh, even RWJ being the NO.1 didn't encourage teenage white boys with victim complex feel more powerful and emboldened with their racist views.

It's natural that the group with privilege, power doesn't want to let go of their power and share their privilege so with the rise of Trump and alt-right, they're keep going to be vocal , with their nonsense victim complex, fighting for their god-given right to always have white privilge.

Pewdiepie is an absolute racist. Just because he's not running around advocating for lynching of black people, doean't mean he's not one.
Last edited by losiento on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fallenrise
Learner
Learner

Post by Fallenrise »

His reasons for why he used the word are similar to what I expected them to be - his subconscious absorbing the word from other gamers (putting some of the blame on others) and wanting to find the worst insult possible to use in that moment.

I don't know if I really believe him though... he could have received PR advice and the delay with this response may have been because he was waiting to see how big this would get, before deciding if issuing an apology video was strictly necessary. I mean, had he done this immediately, he might have come across as more sincere in his guilt and regret.

Plus, if this was the first time he had expressed racism in his videos, I would be more inclined to believe him and to give him the benefit of the doubt. But, especially after what happened last time with his idea to have a "death to all Jews" sign, I think that this could just be a way for him to save face and to try to save what little reputation he has in the eyes of the public (and, of course, companies which he might want to work with in the future).
"The truth is the only safe ground to stand upon."
- Kaz, Beyond the Lights

Return to “pewdiepie”