Why can't I find a part time job?

Pistachiyo
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why can't I find a part time job?

Post by Pistachiyo »

Hey everyone. I'm in college and for what feels like forever I've been applying for part time jobs. I couldn't even get one for the summer. I have only been called in for two interviews and it never went past that. I'm a really good student, I have experience volunteering at many places that require a lot of skills, and I have good availability during the week. The bizarre part is that most of the time I get no response after applying to jobs. Like what could possibly be the reason besides that I have no paid work experience (every job wants experience but that leaves me no where to get it). That or I am looking in the wrong places at the wrong times. Has anyone experienced a drought with jobs and do you have any tips? Thanks !!

Layla0606
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Why can't I find a part time job?

Post by Layla0606 »

Pistachiyo wrote:Hey everyone. I'm in college and for what feels like forever I've been applying for part time jobs. I couldn't even get one for the summer. I have only been called in for two interviews and it never went past that. I'm a really good student, I have experience volunteering at many places that require a lot of skills, and I have good availability during the week. The bizarre part is that most of the time I get no response after applying to jobs. Like what could possibly be the reason besides that I have no paid work experience (every job wants experience but that leaves me no where to get it). That or I am looking in the wrong places at the wrong times. Has anyone experienced a drought with jobs and do you have any tips? Thanks !!
what countryi is this? I am an immigrant in the UK and I am having the same issue except I need a full time job. Sometimes it heps to apply in person so that they see you and remember you. Also here in the uk employers are flippin lazy, one of them called me in for an inerview 1 month after the application deadline. Just be patient and keep applying. Also make sure your CV meets the standards of the country you are in, again since I'm not from here at first I didn't know you shouldn't out photo,age, gender and whatnot in your CV.

vanillakid
Informer
Informer

Post by vanillakid »

I think it's important to keep contacting a company, especially if you're e-mailing them directly (instead of applying through a website). I will sometimes e-mail someone 4-5 times before I get a reply. People working in these places that you're contacting might have a day off, they might get hundreds of e-mails and your might get lost in their inbox. If you don't get a reply as first, just try again a couple of days later. Calling the place works too, of course.

You have probably already done this, but it might help to look over your CV again, ask someone else to look it over, just to make sure it is as good as possible.

English is not my first language

abcwhoisme
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by abcwhoisme »

From Texas here. I've had the exact same problem... however I have three years experience in a restaurant. Working in another restaurant is the last thing I want to do, but at this point it seems I have no other option. What gives? Retail is known for hiring people with no experience whatsoever. I go to speak to managers after submitting online applications, too. At least you have gotten interviews - its a response! Every single application I've submitted has gone unanswered. I fear that my problem is that I am still a high school student. I am a senior, but I am also taking a full load of college courses. I am pretty much always available to work. It's so irritating because I am so tired of sitting at home doing nothing! But don't worry, you are not alone... :|

Layla0606
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Layla0606 »

giiirl, keep on hollering and applying, I had practically 0 response for 2 months and then within the same week I got 3 interviews scheduled (already got one of the jobs)

rant_heart
Learner
Learner

Post by rant_heart »

This is exactly my problem, except that I'm in high school. I've applied to several places that were actively hiring since the summer of 2016 and have only heard back from 1 or 2, after I had been the one to initiate further contact from a "thanks for your application" email.

(Rant) I have plenty of availability on the weekends and during the summer. I have no job experience, but it's not like I'm applying to be a surgeon or something like that, I'm applying for a literal entry-level job at fast food or retail. I'm involved in clubs at school and have done volunteer work. I applied to my local Panera months ago, when they were hiring. They stopped hiring, then started to advertise that they were hiring again about two months ago. I called, and had to wait like 2 weeks to even get a reply back. I eventually got an interview with both the Assistant Manager and the General Manager. Now it's been a month and after countless calls to Panera, asking them to leave notes for the GM about my inquiry on the status that I had, I have never heard anything back. One day I called and the GM would back later that day. I asked them several times to leave a note, they said yes, and never heard anything back. Either it's shitty management (I don't think it's the employees' fault, the one I spoke to after my first interview was really nice) or an extremely biased GM. Not only that, but my local Panda Express, which is currently advertising a very competitive salary, had a now hiring sign up for weeks, took it down, and has now put it back up again. I think it's very irresponsible for a company that is actively hiring to not actively look into applications that are sent specifically through an application process online. Not only that, but I have several friends who have easily gotten jobs at McDonald's (though I don't want to work there, the ones here are full of people who don't give a shit about their job) with nothing more than an application and an interview.

I have asked for advice lots of times, and all I've ever gotten was "apply to more jobs!!!" or "send them a letter or email thanking them for the job opportunity!!!" when the people I know who work at McD's would never ever do something like that.
Also apparently I'm not "qualified" to work as a team member at Kroger, which is stupid because there are baggers there who don't know what an insulated bag is, and that frozen foods should be placed inside of it.

Return to “Work”