LUSH is overrated?

Basic_bitch_face
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: LUSH is overrated?

Post by Basic_bitch_face »

I find lush overrated. Some products are lovely, but on the whole I think they're overpriced and not worth the hype. Plus I hate how you can't offer constructive criticism of lush products online without being attacked by 'lushies'.

I tried dream cream for my eczema and hated it, the smell was horrible. Plus it didn't help my eczema at all (however I find aveeno products really help, or if my eczema is really bad I go to the doctors).

I do like lush shower gel, they are expensive but you only need to use a bit so they last for a while. At the moment I have a small bottle of snow fairy (I used to love it, but now I have to be in the mood for it), Prince charming, yummy mummy and the comforter. I love the comforter bubble bar, but I find I always get thrush (sorry if tmi!) when I use lush bubble bars or bath bombs, so I avoid them now.

depot
Learner
Learner

Post by depot »

the bath bombs come to a fair price, because i always break them in two/three pieces and use one piece per bath.

lordofmisrule
Informer
Informer

Post by lordofmisrule »

There are some highly overrated products but there are some gems too.

I've been their customer for about 7 years; quite a loyal one, there's a bunch of products I always buy when I run out and there are other things I purchase as treats when I have some extra cash.

1. Customer service - I'm a regular customer at my local store and the manager recognises me, we always have good chats about products but he realises I know my stuff and doesn't try to push me to try or buy stuff I wouldn't like. The guy before him though, always tried to sell me weird stuff like strange-smalling solid deodorants even though I was already a regular back then and would always mostly buy skincare and bath things. Maybe the changed the policy over the time. I know though that some of my friends go to the same branch and do experience a full-on pushy service so maybe my example is just an exception.

2. Tried and tested products I buy:
Ultrabland face cleanser. I have a dry skin so a creamy cleansing balm leaves my skin clean but soft and moisturised.
Handy Gurugu hand cream. It's rich, made with lovely butters and oils. I use it on my hands, rub into the cuticles and also use as a night treatment for my feet. I've purchased countless pots of it, always repurchase for myself and buy as presents for family and friends. Even boyfriend likes to use it.
Fresh face masks. They're not everyones cup of tea, I get that, but I like to always have one in my fridge. Also, because I'm a regular, I always manage to collect a few empty pots (you can exchange 5 washed black tubs for a free face mask) so I don't have to spend physical money on them. My favourite one is the Oatifix, I sometimes get Ayesha, and every time I manage to go to the Oxford St branch in London I get Man in the Mushroom Mask which is gorgeous. Also like Don't Look at Me (a bit more exfoliating) and the Dark Prince (also exfoliating and cleansing, only available in Oxford St store).

3. Every now and then:

Bath products. Their prices went right up over the years, some of bath bombs (ballistics, whichever you want to call them) are £3.95 or 4.95 even - that's a lot for a one-off treat me thinks! I don't tend to try and break them down into smaller bits and get a few uses out of them, like some of you described. If I decide to use one, I want the full experience. I also find some of the more seasonal products, like the Xmas ones, are less packed with essentail oils and other ingredients so the baths are weaker in colour and don't smell as much as I would like them too. Not really a great value for money then, are they?
I quite like the bubble bars though, they're usually more concentrated and depending on size, you can get 3-4 baths out of each if you cut them in smaller pieces.
Hair products. I like some of the treatments and masks, but you have to use quite a lot for each treatment and my hair is quite long so I often only get about 3 uses out of a pot. Solid shampoos, good for travelling, they're nicely scented and cleanse the hair rather well. However most of them contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is quite strong and stripping detergent (also used in washing-up liquids) which can be very drying the scalp. That's why I wouldn't use a shampoo bar everytime I wash my hair, I only use it every 3-4 washes so it helps me avoid product build-up on my hair and scalp. For every day shampoo I use something less scented and with more gentle detergents.

On the topic of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, quite some of the Lush shower gels also contain it, that's why I only buy them in Xmas sale, because if I'm buying something that contains it I'd rather not overpay and any showergel form let's say Boots has it too. One of Lush most popular product, Snow Fairy, it's mostly Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and and some synthetic fragrance - dunno know what is the fuss all about. Some of the gels have also slightly gentler detergents which I believe counteract the stripping Sodium Lauryl Sulfate a bit but why not go further and try and use only gentle ones? The gels a pricey enough so I feel like as customers we deserve better ingredients.
Solid soap - I buy them just to wash hands. I try to avoid byuing liquid hand washes and having to throw away an empty bottle every two weeks. Lush soaps have just a little paper as the packaging so they're better for the environment.

I also buy the scrubs, lip scrubs, body moisturisers, shower creams, shaving smoothies every once in a while but can live without them or use cheaper products from a pharmacy.

Hope it's not too long of a post and would be happy to answer any Lush questions if there are any :-)

lordofmisrule
Informer
Informer

Post by lordofmisrule »

There are some highly overrated products but there are some gems too.

I've been their customer for about 7 years; quite a loyal one, there's a bunch of products I always buy when I run out and there are other things I purchase as treats when I have some extra cash. I shop in Lush UK.

1. Customer service - I'm a regular customer at my local store and the manager recognises me, we always have good chats about products but he realises I know my stuff and doesn't try to push me to try or buy stuff I wouldn't like. The guy before him though, always tried to sell me weird stuff like strange-smalling solid deodorants even though I was already a regular back then and would always mostly buy skincare and bath things. Maybe the changed the policy over the time. I know though that some of my friends go to the same branch and do experience a full-on pushy service so maybe my example is just an exception.

Ultrabland face cleanser. I have a dry skin so a creamy cleansing balm leaves my skin clean but soft and moisturised.
Handy Gurugu hand cream. It's rich, made with lovely butters and oils. I use it on my hands, rub into the cuticles and also use as a night treatment for my feet. I've purchased countless pots of it, always repurchase for myself and buy as presents for family and friends. Even boyfriend likes to use it.
Fresh face masks. They're not everyones cup of tea, I get that, but I like to always have one in my fridge. Also, because I'm a regular, I always manage to collect a few empty pots (you can exchange 5 washed black tubs for a free face mask) so I don't have to spend physical money on them. My favourite one is the Oatifix, I sometimes get Ayesha, and every time I manage to go to the Oxford St branch in London I get Man in the Mushroom Mask which is gorgeous. Also like Don't Look at Me (a bit more exfoliating) and the Dark Prince (also exfoliating and cleansing, only available in Oxford St store).

3. Every now and then:

Bath products. Their prices went right up over the years, some of bath bombs (ballistics, whichever you want to call them) are £3.95 or 4.95 even - that's a lot for a one-off treat me thinks! I don't tend to try and break them down into smaller bits and get a few uses out of them, like some of you described. If I decide to use one, I want the full experience. I also find some of the more seasonal products, like the Xmas ones, are less packed with essentail oils and other ingredients so the baths are weaker in colour and don't smell as much as I would like them too. Not really a great value for money then, are they?
I quite like the bubble bars though, they're usually more concentrated and depending on size, you can get 3-4 baths out of each if you cut them in smaller pieces.
Hair products. I like some of the treatments and masks, but you have to use quite a lot for each treatment and my hair is quite long so I often only get about 3 uses out of a pot. Solid shampoos, good for travelling, they're nicely scented and cleanse the hair rather well. However most of them contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is quite strong and stripping detergent (also used in washing-up liquids) which can be very drying the scalp. That's why I wouldn't use a shampoo bar everytime I wash my hair, I only use it every 3-4 washes so it helps me avoid product build-up on my hair and scalp. For every day shampoo I use something less scented and with more gentle detergents.

On the topic of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, quite some of the Lush shower gels also contain it, that's why I only buy them in Xmas sale, because if I'm buying something that contains it I'd rather not overpay and any showergel form let's say Boots has it too. One of Lush most popular product, Snow Fairy, it's mostly Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and and some synthetic fragrance - dunno know what is the fuss all about. Some of the gels have also slightly gentler detergents which I believe counteract the stripping Sodium Lauryl Sulfate a bit but why not go further and try and use only gentle ones? The gels a pricey enough so I feel like as customers we deserve better ingredients.
Solid soap - I buy them just to wash hands. I try to avoid byuing liquid hand washes and having to throw away an empty bottle every two weeks. Lush soaps have just a little paper as the packaging so they're better for the environment.

I also buy the scrubs, lip scrubs, body moisturisers, shower creams, shaving smoothies every once in a while but can live without them or use cheaper products from a pharmacy.

Hope it's not too long of a post and would be happy to answer any Lush questions if there are any :-)

ohyourejoking
Informer
Informer

Post by ohyourejoking »

lordofmisrule wrote:There are some highly overrated products but there are some gems too.

I've been their customer for about 7 years; quite a loyal one, there's a bunch of products I always buy when I run out and there are other things I purchase as treats when I have some extra cash. I shop in Lush UK.

3. Every now and then:

does lush have a corporate office? or district manager i can reach out to?
i had a horrible experience at the one i went to. i've only emailed their stupid support and they keep denying me that there's no corporate number or email i can reach. which i know is untrue. they've stopped responding to my emails.

lordofmisrule
Informer
Informer

Post by lordofmisrule »

A little update: ordered something off the website, from the Lush Kitchen where they offer limited batches of exclusives and old discontinued products. It was the Baby Face solid face cleanser. Now, for those of you that don't know how the Kitchen works - you have to put an order on the day when it's made and they usually post it a few days. This time round though - I ordered on the 6th of Sept - Tuesday last week - and I know they don't post it on the same day. But this time they didn't post until the 14th - Weds this week! I was slightly pissed off. Didn't get any samples in my parcel either (#firstworldproblems, I know 8-) ) . Since when have they become so slow and stingy? Sadly I am a Lush bitch and will still be buying the few "staple" products that I always get like Ultrabland cleansing balm and Handy Gurugu hand butter.

lordofmisrule
Informer
Informer

Post by lordofmisrule »

ohyourejoking wrote:
i had a horrible experience at the one i went to. i've only emailed their stupid support and they keep denying me that there's no corporate number or email i can reach. which i know is untrue. they've stopped responding to my emails.
Sorry, only just read it know - but I haven't a clue either.
In what way was your experience horrible, can you write a bit more?

mangotemptation99
Learner
Learner

Post by mangotemptation99 »

Lush is life & underrated where I live & from.
I've yet to have a bad experience in stores.

ohyourejoking
Informer
Informer

Post by ohyourejoking »

lordofmisrule wrote:
ohyourejoking wrote:

Sorry, only just read it know - but I haven't a clue either.
In what way was your experience horrible, can you write a bit more?
yes, the manager's customer service was shit. racial profiling and what not, also accusing me of shit when i was still in the store, paying for my items

oprahchaibich
Learner
Learner

Post by oprahchaibich »

Lush is overrated in the sense that their products are extremely varied & hit-or-miss.

For example, I LOVE their Mask of Magnanimity because it's one of the few face masks that I've tried that shows immediate results for small uses of the product; however, then there's items like their Tisty Totsy bath bomb which has very little odor or moisturizer per use.

Unfortunately, their products are the kind of things you have to TRY to see if you like or not. Fortunately, if you have a store near you, they do give out free samples, especially if you have an employee helping you and explain that you want to try out the product. (The only problem is that you have to schmooze with all those alt people that work there...)

Overall, it's pretty bougie and only worth it if there are things you know you like there. I'm a believer in trying LUSH at least once, particularly if your favorite relaxation past time is bath/self-care.
Everything I say is for entertainment purposes only.

PrettyInATeacup

Post by PrettyInATeacup »

I worked for Lush for 4 years, all they care about is your money unforunately

canyounot24
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by canyounot24 »

I love lush

littlebitofcitrus
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by littlebitofcitrus »

I am not a fan of the products. I have to say I got a bath bomb that stained the enamel on my bath (which was from the 1920’s) and had to have it reenameled so one bath bomb cost over £200! However I was lucky enough to be gifted a massage in their Liverpool spa which is the best massage I have ever had. I can not recommend enough as it was AMAZING!

whothisis
Learner
Learner

Post by whothisis »

I hate going there and getting molested by their phony employees. I don't care how good the products might be if I can't go browse their selection without getting accosted.

dollhouse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dollhouse »

I honestly think this company just markets toward young people who feel like misfits and people get obsessed with the feeling of belonging they get from shopping there. Like they honestly feel like Lush (or the people that work at the stores) are like their unconditional besties who will accept them no matter what ... as long as they make a purchase.

itsamario
Talker
Talker

Post by itsamario »

Just discovered LUSH, love the products, hate the breath-down-your-neck sales technique and also the fact that you cannot express any discontent with any of their products online because lushies will attack. Never would I have thought a company that sells products that make me feel at peace would bring about so much hatred and vitriol in others.

MushroomPie
Talker
Talker

Post by MushroomPie »

Haven't touched Lush since I got into K-beauty. 10x better quality and shelf life and effectiveness with only a fraction of the price compared to Lush. Not to mention the big amount of samples they give you and how most K-beauty brands and sellers have a rewards program and discounts. I'm obsessed with Nature Republic rn.

Post by Guest »

BornThisWay94 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:57 am
When I started using Lush back in late 2012ish no one I knew had even heard of it and now it's all the rageeee lol. I can't live without their cleaners, Angels on Bare Skin literally saved my skin. I suffered from acne most of my life and it cleared it right up. They also have a lot of awesome products for sensitive skinned people like myself.
In the UK Lush has been well known for years though. At that time a high street shop that was trying to reduce waste, and had products making a point that they are free from animal ingredients was a rarity (not all of their products are plant based though still!). They also had a separate makeup shop too called B never to be busy to be beautiful, that packaged things in embellished tins. The packaging and products have changed over the years and became more broader in variety, but it's hardly a new trendy shop. They also used to give out newspapers too. I think there should be something for everyone, the new range of bath bombs is a bit gimmicky but they are nice gifts for kids. When we think charcoal is some new ingredient, lush has coalface and they also introduced a charcoal toothpaste (tube toothpaste not tablets) years ago. Nowadays there is more choice, but lush was sort of a catalyst in having brands also use activism, show what person made a product, offer a recycling scheme and no waste products.

Post by Guest »

MushroomPie wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:15 pm
Haven't touched Lush since I got into K-beauty. 10x better quality and shelf life and effectiveness with only a fraction of the price compared to Lush. Not to mention the big amount of samples they give you and how most K-beauty brands and sellers have a rewards program and discounts. I'm obsessed with Nature Republic rn.
Those have different ethical values though. Lush, and other brands like them are focusing on being low waste, of having greener ingredients, and being against animal testing. Most Korean brands are incredibly wasteful in terms of all the samples, the over-packaging and most do not have any ethical certifications. Brands like Innis Free and Nature Republic green wash. The products are in no way green, and both support animal testing by selling to China. There are some cruelty free and vegan Korean brands, but still a lot of poor packaging.

MushroomPie
Talker
Talker

Post by MushroomPie »

Guest wrote:
MushroomPie wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:15 pm
Those have different ethical values though. Lush, and other brands like them are focusing on being low waste, of having greener ingredients, and being against animal testing. Most Korean brands are incredibly wasteful in terms of all the samples, the over-packaging and most do not have any ethical certifications. Brands like Innis Free and Nature Republic green wash. The products are in no way green, and both support animal testing by selling to China. There are some cruelty free and vegan Korean brands, but still a lot of poor packaging.
I realized this and now I'm using DECIEM. I miss lush, but it's really out of my budget rn. At least DECIEM is cruelty free, mostly vegan and seems to be more eco-friendly and cheaper than beauty. Much less harsh, simple and effective.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

Return to “Lush”