Lisa Eldridge - am I the only one...

oh,please
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Lisa Eldridge - am I the only one...

Post by oh,please »

who cannot stand this woman? I realize she's very well-respected as a makeup artist. But I find it bizarre that anyone who is that successful would also find it necessary to have a YouTube channel. I find it annoying that she refers to her videos as "films" (no, Lisa. Films are made with film.) and the "#houseofeldridge" thing is so pretentious I could barf. she mumbles. She repeats the same look over and over, just with slightly different colors. She mumbles. SHE DRIVES ME CRAZY. It must be me, as I can't find any threads about her in the "Trash" section, but really - is there no one else who can't bear to watch her?

nina84
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Lisa Eldridge - am I the only one...

Post by nina84 »

I think it's nice to have professionals on YT but I don't really love her videos or looks. Her video trying both Korean and Western trends was nice, but didn't bring much new stuff to the table, all her other videos I haven't watched because I don't find them very interesting.

staedtler
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by staedtler »

I think she started her channel to educate. She doesn't take any sponsorships, she just on youtube to help. I really like some of her looks, usually the basics ones and any about Korean beauty etc. But most of the time I will skip her videos since they are not looks I'm after. I really respect her for actually having good content unlike some big youtubers that started as beauty youtubers but are now lifestyle ones.

But yeah, she mumbles. It really irks me.

peanutella
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by peanutella »

Yeah, I believe she started her channel for educational purposes and because she's sick of all those beauty gurus showing young girls how to cake on makeup without any actual skill. I don't think she makes any money off it, and she doesn't seem to need it anyway since she's a world renowned makeup artist (I'd love to know how much she charges per hour) and creative director of Lancôme (hello $$$). I like watching someone with actual skill and makeup knowledge, even though not all of her videos are of use to me.
Non.

robinette
Debater
Debater

Post by robinette »

The "film" thing irritates me to but that's a minor thing.

I do like the ducationla value of her vieos, especially when she talks about skin care. Her looks tend to focus more on wearable, classic, and light but that's ideal for the office or for people who don't have tons for time for complex looks. So much better than cake-on make-up, instagram-brow and the attempts to do toned down drag-queen-looks.

I really like that she sometimes uses older models. It's so refreshing seing someome who's not in their twenties do make-up either on herself or on models in their forties, fifties and even sixties.

INdifferent
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by INdifferent »

I really have nothing bad to say about her, it's clear that she has an intense passion and love for makeup, unlike 99% of people on youtube, who if you'd have to ask them about the history of makeup, they'd blind you with their highlighter shining brighter than any star with that deer in the headlights look, will giggle and be like YAAASSS HUNNY slay me with your questions :roll: :rofl: :roll: :rofl:

If she has an air about her, she totally deserves it, but I don't get that vibe from her. Her video's are very mature and informative.
Please bear with me, English is my second language

imaginarypants
Learner
Learner

Post by imaginarypants »

I actually love Lisa, but no lie, when I first started watching her, her voice was so quiet it had a soporific effect on me and I'd be bored silly and click out of the video. She grew on me over time because it's clear she actually knows what she's doing with makeup and her enthusiasm for it shows clearly.

She is sometimes a bit judgy about makeup -- her ideals are for a natural base and subtle makeup but that's not always what everyone else is trying to achieve. She is way less judgy about it that other people on youtube, though (I like Jordan Liberty but he is super judgy about people doing makeup the 'wrong' way. Wayne Goss is the same, but then says 'it's only makeup!' You can't have it both ways, sir). I prefer doing my makeup the way Lisa does it, because that's what I like best on my face, but make up is just make up and everyone should be able to do whatever the hell they like without being judged left, right and center for it.

robinette
Debater
Debater

Post by robinette »

I think it can sometimes be hard for Pro-MUAs not to be 'judgy', after all they've studied this stuff and work in the industry and, in the case of Lisa, know the history and trends and are really deep into things. Then to be confronted by someone like Manny who claims to be an MUA, and gets just about everything "wrong", it must be hard not to go: "You're doing it all wrong!!!!" and show him how it's really done.

There's also often a different focus between natural or glamorous looks, exprimental/fashion shoot looks, subgroups (goths, drag-queens and such). Pro-MUAs like Lisa seem to focus more on natural and glamor (red carpet, photoshoots for actresses) and less on edgy, crazy, or experiemental.

It's a bit like a trained chef dealing with someone who's only cooking for themselves and their family. They'll probably also see a lot of things that are wrong and have a hard time not jumping in and taking over.

imaginarypants
Learner
Learner

Post by imaginarypants »

^^ True. I kind of feel the same way (but obviously without MUA credentials or know how) when my friends who aren't as into makeup do things likes never wash their brushes or use mascara for two years straight.

I do appreciate that Lisa tries not to be that person, though. It's clear (to me anyway) that she does appreciate a lot of different styles and looks, even if it's not what she typically does on clients, fashion shoots or in tutorials. Her tutorials come off as instructional and informative rather than preachy, because instead of concentrating on what not to do, Lisa just talks about what she prefers to do. I know this is a trash trend, but it's very hard to find things about her I don't actually like, lol.

Hadto
Learner
Learner

Post by Hadto »

I started to go off her when she recommended two products that I subsequently bought and were crap; a Rimmel lip liner and lipstick that do not go on well at all! Also, when she had Rosie Huntington- Whiteley in the video and it was basically to promote her new make up range, and similarly with the latest video with that annoying hair dresser's products. Some of her looks are great, but Lisa could sit there and daub herself in cow dung and sheeple would still day 'so classy and sophisticated' :rofl:

Post by Guest »

robinette wrote:I think it can sometimes be hard for Pro-MUAs not to be 'judgy', after all they've studied this stuff and work in the industry and, in the case of Lisa, know the history and trends and are really deep into things. Then to be confronted by someone like Manny who claims to be an MUA, and gets just about everything "wrong", it must be hard not to go: "You're doing it all wrong!!!!" and show him how it's really done.

There's also often a different focus between natural or glamorous looks, exprimental/fashion shoot looks, subgroups (goths, drag-queens and such). Pro-MUAs like Lisa seem to focus more on natural and glamor (red carpet, photoshoots for actresses) and less on edgy, crazy, or experiemental.

It's a bit like a trained chef dealing with someone who's only cooking for themselves and their family. They'll probably also see a lot of things that are wrong and have a hard time not jumping in and taking over.
I personally don't mind if a pro MUA is particularly judgy about how makeup is done as long as the focus is on technique and product usage. You can wear your makeup however you please but there is a right and wrong way of doing so, but at the same time, I do believe that a Pro MUA should be versitaile at the same time, while reflecting their own personal makeup preferences. Across the board, a vast majority of pro MUA do seem to tout the more glamorous/ natural look which can be a bit boring. Personally, I prefer a more "done" makeup look. I like the light base, foundation that looks like skin sort of foundation but I prefer a semi-matte or a satin finish rather than a glowy dewy look that can veer into the oily territory as I do have oily skin as well.

ilikepuppies12
Lurker
Lurker

Post by ilikepuppies12 »

She's an amazing MUA, but I think sometimes people glorify her. Remember that her husband is the creative director of British Vogue...

I've seen a lot of makeup artists on YouTube who do the same or even better looks (in my humble opinion) with cheaper products. I think Sharon Farrell and Jean Francois CD are more talented and versatile than her.

Obviously, her channel was created for educational purposes, but let's get real: It's also to show the world how amazing she is... Bragging is a human thing. ;) She knew that being a Youtube influencer could be a good thing!

I like some of her videos... Her skincare advice is not the most reliable, though,

Eva DeStruction
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Eva DeStruction »

No. No, you're not the only one who doesn't like her. I can certainly appreciate her knowledge and expertise in the field, but her mannerisms and especially the sound of her voice makes me want to punch my monitor. I do not know why this is, but I have the same reaction with any of those so called autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) speakers as well.

Post by Guest »

Eva DeStruction wrote:No. No, you're not the only one who doesn't like her. I can certainly appreciate her knowledge and expertise in the field, but her mannerisms and especially the sound of her voice makes me want to punch my monitor. I do not know why this is, but I have the same reaction with any of those so called autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) speakers as well.
Her voice does't really bother me, but I think she overglorifies French makeup and skincare way too much. And also, she shills too many vloggers and Kim K :roll:

Knitting Jenny
Informer
Informer

Post by Knitting Jenny »

oh,please wrote:But I find it bizarre that anyone who is that successful would also find it necessary to have a YouTube channel
Just because she is successful doesn't mean she can't enjoy making youtube-videos.

God
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by God »

Hadto wrote:I started to go off her when she recommended two products that I subsequently bought and were crap; a Rimmel lip liner and lipstick that do not go on well at all! Also, when she had Rosie Huntington- Whiteley in the video and it was basically to promote her new make up range, and similarly with the latest video with that annoying hair dresser's products. Some of her looks are great, but Lisa could sit there and daub herself in cow dung and sheeple would still day 'so classy and sophisticated' :rofl:
The rosie line is terrible and the perfume smells like garbage. Don't recommend it. Never wasting my money on that again
I'd enjoy Lisa more if she wouldn't glorify Kim Kartrashian and if she didn't act like such a "know it all" so much, i guess i could understand why, she's a pro mua.. :|

onigiri815
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by onigiri815 »

When and how has she glorified Kim K?

gakawak
Informer
Informer

Post by gakawak »

I can't stand the lighting in her videos, it way over softens everything and it just looks so washed out. The only part of her nose you can really see is the nostrils. I wonder if she does that to camouflage her not so great makeup? I don't know, but it is bizarre.

Aw_hell_no
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Aw_hell_no »

You're not the only one. Extraterrestrial lighting, mega $ product usage, world renowned mua, swimming in $....but has time to prop up for yt -educational- videos? I barely have time to watch a video and I'm none of above. Idk what it is with her, but I don't buy it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Aw_hell_no
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Aw_hell_no »

You're not the only one. Extraterrestrial lighting, mega $ product usage, world renowned mua, swimming in $....but has time to prop up for yt -educational- videos? I barely have time to watch a video and I'm none of above. Idk what it is with her, but I don't buy it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Return to “K-O”