Connor Franta (CoffeeGuy) Part 3

blockah
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Connor Franta (CoffeeGuy) Part 3

Post by blockah »

I think people have been bored of connor since he left o2l.

blockah
Informer
Informer

Post by blockah »

I think people have been bored of connor since he left o2l.

zalfiephan9

Post by zalfiephan9 »

I watched is you now (or whatever it is called) last night and I felt that him just talking was more energetic than his more recent videos. Idk... I don't hate Connor but I dislike what he has become. He claims he is going to do another favorites video and a sorta look book video without calling it a look book but he did call it a look book... I don't understand why his audience would be interested in that. Yeah a lot of gay guys appear to watch him now but his fans still mostly consist of teenage girls. So why do videos like that?

lookanothergossiper
Learner
Learner

Post by lookanothergossiper »

deltanu2 wrote:I watched is you now (or whatever it is called) last night and I felt that him just talking was more energetic than his more recent videos. Idk... I don't hate Connor but I dislike what he has become. He claims he is going to do another favorites video and a sorta look book video without calling it a look book but he did call it a look book... I don't understand why his audience would be interested in that. Yeah a lot of gay guys appear to watch him now but his fans still mostly consist of teenage girls. So why do videos like that?
hollywood does this to you * eyeroll *

dreammuffin
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dreammuffin »

Does anyone know what the chocolate making thing is in his snapchat? Is that from the art challenge?

smars27
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by smars27 »

My 2 cents on Connor changing for the worse (being unlikeable/”Hollywood”)

For me he hasn’t really changed for the worse altogether, but for better in some ways, and I don’t want to say worse because that implies something that I don’t find to be true, so I just will say he’s not AS enjoyable for me to watch based on certain issues.

From my observation, when he first started getting popular he would try extremely hard and there was this vulnerability that gave me a bit of a “motherly” feeling toward him, as you could see he was a bit insecure at times but would still engage outside of his comfort zone (for instance, I enjoyed his prank videos not because he did a good job with them but because of how much he struggled with them and the fact that he gave a valiant effort and he just came off as adorbs).

I think it was great when he came out and he had a period where he didn’t finally have to worry about every little thing because he was terrified of everything he could lose (his fam, career, etc), but I’m going to say that was probably the factor that made him put so much effort into his old videos because he was so hyper-aware. He’s not as insecure/relatable or vulnerable as he used to be, but I’m happy for him in the fact that he could finally be himself for a while.

I’d much rather he be happy and okay with himself than do a Robin Williams (ugh…so sad) or self-medicate like Brittany Murphy as there was a time I was a bit concerned about him (and Shane- I used to suspect he was one step away from a “Gretchen Weiners nervous breakdown” at times) and wondering if he was handling the pressures of fame since it can be a bit disconcerting (I still have trouble saying the name/talking about ppl I don’t know well, since it seems a bit more intimate then I prefer). Now that he’s pretty much “commercialized” he doesn’t have to put in as much effort and while he can enjoy coasting for a while I’m sure he will put in a bit more effort later when it becomes more of a priority but right now, he’s into his closer relationships.

I think the biggest thing I don’t like now is that he’s gotten a bit “stale” in the fact that all the pop yters do the same type of tags but they all have their own spin/personality on it, while he’s just a bit too vanilla now for me to consider him top priority in watching. I know he likes to consider himself a hipster (and if I did think he was a hipster I wouldn’t watch him AT ALL since I despise hipsters (bad experience in a group project- let’s just say hipsters are great at criticizing/being snarky which is slightly entertaining but doing any actual work opens them up for criticism so GUESS WHAT THEY DO, JUST GUESS) as I find them condescending/snobby, frivolous, but he’s about as vanilla as they get while hipster is something like spinach-flavored yuck.

I like him best when he’s interacting with other ppl but I feel like right now the only one he’s interacting with is his boyfriend (it seems like a pretty open secret) and I can understand him keeping it private after what happened to Kian and Andrea who were adorable to watch, but I believe are still getting harassed when they are likely never ever getting back together. It’s bad enough when ppl are trying to do deal with family/friends two cents, so it’s understandable why he would be guarded, especially with someone he really cares about.

That being said, I wish he didn’t seem like such a hermit crab since I prefer him better when he has someone he can play off well/have good chemistry with. Right now it doesn’t seem like he leaves his apt very often, even though I know he has.

And about the LA thing: Actually I’m from Cali (but one of the most boring parts) and have visited LA a couple of times and while I despise and would never live in LA because of the traffic/cost of living (CA is taxed high enough in everything else already- gas, income but LA is times infinity) the people I’ve met there are pretty chill (haven’t been there long enough to know) with the usual aholes you can find anywhere

. I guess it depends on what type of environment you’re in and while he’s more likely to attract the hangers-on I think he’s smart enough to know to avoid them or listen to people blowing smoke. That being said, these are all my assumptions so for all I know he could be worse….so whatever.

TLDR: I don't think he is getting more Hollywood or unlikable, he's just not as into YT when he was doing it for fun so although he is more consistent, it takes a lot of effort to think of new creative ideas and not regurgitate things (but ppl have been doing it for years- tried and true works better than new). When it's something you have to do, it might take away a little bit but he's still enjoyable to watch (for me anyway).

Connor is busy enjoying his honeymoon phase with his secret bf and I think after everything he's been through he deserves some happiness. He's gotten a little boring but if his count starts falling I think he will prioritize work more. Right now I"m glad he's enjoying a genuine relationship and he can keep his lil secret since he knows what could happen if it got out based on what happened to other yt couples that broke up, I can understand when you value someone that could end up vulnerable you want to protect him/her.

johndoe88
Lurker
Lurker

Post by johndoe88 »

I really liked Connor's videos last year and before, they seemed funny and relatable... But lately i don't know, he does those haul videos and short hipster videos very often, and i don't feel like a fan anymore. Perhaps he should do more challenges, more funny collabs with Youtubers, more Q&As, etc...If he continues like he's going, i feel his viewership and subscriber count will stall eventually...

phansthething
Learner
Learner

Post by phansthething »

I don't like connor, he annoys me to the end but I stay for the relationship, its quite sad. He has this faux hipster thing going on that teenagers eat up (I used to). Some of his videos I really like and appearance wise he's attractive but I feel hes not the person I like..

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

johndoe88
Lurker
Lurker

Post by johndoe88 »

phansthething wrote:I don't like connor, he annoys me to the end but I stay for the relationship, its quite sad. He has this faux hipster thing going on that teenagers eat up (I used to). Some of his videos I really like and appearance wise he's attractive but I feel hes not the person I like..

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk
His views and subscriber count growth is a matter of worry, so his fans are not really liking what he's doing right now. According to this, http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/connorfranta October's views could be the worst since January 2014 (a lifetime in Youtube), his suscriber growth would be the worst since May 2013 (another lifetime in YouTube). He should be very concerned about this.

zalfiephan9

Post by zalfiephan9 »

I kind of get the impression that he is just over Youtube but has no idea what he wants to do next. Which is fine but it is a jerk thing to do to his fan base. He is stringing them along with more than half-assed videos that even he can't possibly think are that entertaining. I miss the Connor who had loads of energy and could make a nicely filmed video without it being foe-hipster like. No one wants to watch him do haul videos either...

He will continue to have fans though so long as Tronnor exists and he remains attractive. It is that simple. His viewership might go down but remember he makes one 3-4 minute video a week and is living a jet setting life in LA. I think he is more than likely going to remain unaffected by this. Which is unfortunate because a reality check would be the only thing to wake him up. He isn't exactly the only uninspired youtuber at the moment though who is making tons of money off his looks alone.

At the very least I hope that he soon admits to himself that maybe O2L wasn't the problem but his interest in youtube in general was. I'm sure he could be successful at something else. He has the resources to do so at this point. Though he isn't exactly the only youtuber to be afraid to admit that youtube might not be a permanent career choice...

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

i forgot the name of that app, the one where youtubers have to upload their videos like 3 days before they're allowed to upload them on youtube. but he's also getting money from that(and iirc, they actually gave a nice pile of cash to youtubers for them to join). so it's not like he'll be struggling financially. he can spit out boring videos every week, there'll still be fans to watch them, and he'll keep making money from that, as well as all the stuff that he sells because he's "so passionate about it", like the compilation cds, the coffee, and all that shit
The Internet knows all your secrets

zalfiephan9

Post by zalfiephan9 »

Vessel? And yeah I was thinking about that too. He got a ridicules amount of money just to post his videos on there before youtube. An audience will always exist for him even if it isn't that large. He got a big splurge of gay fans after he came out. So even if he has lost some from his lack of decent content since then he really is doing no better or worse than he did before. When you look at what is actually coming out of youtube right now from big youtube, it isn't that much better than what Connor himself is doing. Look at his boyfriend and his ex-friend Tyler. Neither of them are really focusing on their videos right now and it really hasn't hurt them all that much. Then you have Shane who tells people he had sex with a cat and probably gained 200 subs since then...

Apparently the vast majority prefer being able to see these people talk to a camera than to actually see something of real entertainment. I feel like when Youtube started the partner program they didn't have daily vlogging and challenge videos in mind for creative content...

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

yes, vessel, that's the one. i never remember the goddamn name.
but yeah, youtube was already reality tv-ish, but now it's even more. you can spit out the most stupid shit, that people will still watch every second of it, and then worship the people in the show. it's why youtube will never really take over tv. the creative content doesn't get that much attention, because the fans would rather pay attention to the mindless content. it's easily consumable, and it gives the impression of approachability,which is why the fans see their idols as friends

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

I never understood how Vessel can make money; do people pay them when they can watch it for free later. Amazing.
Credit:amazingfiru

dreammuffin
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dreammuffin »

Vessel is cheap, has a nice layout, and it is an easy way to support youtubers you like. That being said, most of it's subscribers are probably people who started a free trial and never bothered cancelling it because it is too cheap to bother with.

sweetmm
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by sweetmm »

dreammuffin wrote:Vessel is cheap, has a nice layout, and it is an easy way to support youtubers you like. That being said, most of it's subscribers are probably people who started a free trial and never bothered cancelling it because it is too cheap to bother with.
Volume of subs must be high if the company can pay youtubers big money but charge viewers minimal sum; unless they make $$$ from ads???
Credit:amazingfiru

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

afaik vessel is ad free. they don't think the adsense system works, and that it doesn't give the youtubers enough money, so it's more of a paid subscription type of thing.
there's definitely money coming from somewhere else, because before they even started it, they were already giving youtubers thousands of dollars as a way to lure them into signing with vessel. but the free trial was only available for a short period of time when it was released, so there's probably a lot of idiots that are actually paying for it

zalfiephan9

Post by zalfiephan9 »

It just seems like a waist of time imo, unless you really want to support specific people. The issue with that is, that they all tried to claim that they weren't making enough money from Youtube and that is the reason why they signed up. Then you remember 75% of them live in LA (for no real reason, 99% of them are never going to make it), live in apartments that are 3-5 thousand dollars a month, drive nice cars, and eat super expensive meals all the time.

I'm not saying that Connor is a bad person, although some of the vessel youtubers are. It just is a pointless service that I really can't imagine will last very long unless vessel is able to get some of these more popular youtubers to only post on vessel.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

in today's video, he says he loves being creative. really? because i wouldn't be able to tell from your videos.
and the "why?" is actually really easy to answer. because it's your job, because you promise to upload videos on youtube every monday, because if you don't do it you'll start losing your fanbase from lack of interest like it happened with troye, because if your fanbase loses interest due to you not posting videos, you won't be able to constantly sell all the crap that you're "so passionate about"

destduh
Stalker
Stalker

Post by destduh »

sweetmm wrote:^ Woah Rachel was there; that is surprising.

who's rachel ( I litterally just made an account so I don't really know how this works)

Return to “Connor Franta”