I'm going to be working with Elle & Blair....

karmandee26
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I'm going to be working with Elle & Blair....

Post by karmandee26 »

To give you some background, I'm a 37 year old marketer from the NYC area. I have worked for my current firm for just over 9 years and really like it here. The firm I work for is a marketing and PR firm that works with large global brands to develop marketing and branding strategies. For the majority of my career at this firm I was working with our large financial services clients coming up with marketing and branding strategies. I felt a bit bored in my job and my colleague mentioned they were going to have an opening on the consumer goods team for next year if I wanted to move into that. I decided to make the jump and for the past month I have been closing out my projects in the Fin Serv group as well as starting some projects in the Cons. Goods group.

Consumer Goods spans so many different types of product lines. The project they originally told me about was to work with a large manufacturer of laundry goods (detergents, etc) on a new marketing and branding plan. They had someone leave on the consumer goods team who was working with some of the larger beauty brands (mostly drug store lines). They asked me if I'd be interested in that since everyone knows that I love makeup and fashion and etc. I of course jumped at the chance and took on the project with the large drugstore brand.

Essentially the plan has already been set but this brand wants to use or try using some youtube beauty gurus in their television and magazine advertising. They are doing a test with 8 gurus in various markets. I was honestly shocked to see Elle and Blair on the list, seeing as I barely see any videos from them and just didn't think they have the popularity they used to have, but maybe I'm living under a rock and don't really know. Like I said I'm in my late 30s so maybe they just don't appeal to me.

I spoke with the other 6 gurus and scheduled out everything and all seem like they are going to be great to work with. Some are actually even more popular than Elle & Blaire and were super easy to work with and very easy to schedule and work out any kinks for the photo/television shoots they are going to do.

I had a really tough time getting in touch with Elle and Blair, I saw Elle's video earlier this month that she is really hurt, so I get that, however all she had to do was call me back or have her agent call me and let me know that she can't take the work on right now.

All of the filming and etc is scheduled to take place late January/Early February so its ready to go to market for the Summer product launches.

I finally had a call on Tuesday with Elle and Blair and holy crap, are they a pain in the ass. They are like the Mariah Carey's of the youtube world.

In my career at this firm, I've had the pleasure of working with various celebs for marketing campaigns like Regis & Kelly, Drew Barrymore, Justin Long, Tiger Woods, Derek Jeter, Kobe Bryant, Joan Rivers, Ellen DeGeneres the list goes on. Many banks and wealth management firms use public figures in their advertising especially with their consumer services.

I have never had anyone be rude to me like Elle and Blair. Blair thinks everything is a big joke and Elle doesn't seem to get what's expected out of her.

I don't know if any of you are working with them, but prepare yourselves for a nightmare.

burgerkingboy
Learner
Learner

Re: I'm going to be working with Elle & Blair....

Post by burgerkingboy »

Gee what are the odds that a person with a broken back is going to be able to fly to NY in a months time to do a photo shoot for some unknown company. A little common sense goes a long way. I think it's rude of a person to try to ask on Christmas week if they want to do a photo shoot. From Christmas week till about Jan 6 at the earliest most of Hollywood in not available unless its for the awards. Once again common sense.

PissedOutDQ
Informer
Informer

Post by PissedOutDQ »

who were the other gurus? *curious*

honestly, what do you expect out of girls who were raised rich and pampered? They're spoiled brats.

izza1
Debater
Debater

Post by izza1 »

I wouldn't worry about the first comment you received. That person obv has no idea about life and is extremely rude. Hollywood? Haha Some people worked on Christ. week, bitch

burgerkingboy
Learner
Learner

Post by burgerkingboy »

Most people in hollywood are off. It's called common sense

x_bethanyy
Informer
Informer

Post by x_bethanyy »

... Yeah, like returning a phone call in the same week as Christmas is a big deal :roll: the other gurus managed to do it.

How were Elle and Blair rude to you? Can you tell us what they said?

burgerkingboy
Learner
Learner

Post by burgerkingboy »

Actually you're making my very point. #1 Its not about the gig it's about the principle of it. He waited until the last minute full well knowing that Elle could never do it. Then you call on Christmas week. #2 Jobs that work on a hierarchy must demand the respect that are deserved or the respect will be lost. Compared to what you are used to its a different lifestyle. But it is a different lifestyle. Its not about being lazy its the way the system works. #3 For the record If i was asked to do the gig I would have done the exact same thing. It was very unprofessional of them too simply assume that a stupid youtuber would simply beg for the privilege to do the gig.

SillyMilly123
Informer
Informer

Post by SillyMilly123 »

I have a really hard time believing that someone working at a corporate or marketing position like this, a 37 year old professional, would come on a gossip site to complain about potential clients. Sorry, not buying it. This could get traced back to you and you could lose your job, there's no way it would be worth it. I call fake on this whole post.

Besides that, who takes business calls 3 days before Christmas? Agencies are closed, networks are closed, etc.

Evolve
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Evolve »

Yeah, I don't work in that industry but if I ran into or worked with a guru through my work I would unquestionably get fired if I posted here about it.

Also you didn't give us any dirt. Just saying they're bad to work with is kinda vague. Did you actually talk to them? What were you asking Elle to do that confused her? What did Blair say that made you think she thought it was a joke?

izza1
Debater
Debater

Post by izza1 »

Evolve wrote:Yeah, I don't work in that industry but if I ran into or worked with a guru through my work I would unquestionably get fired if I posted here about it.

Also you didn't give us any dirt. Just saying they're bad to work with is kinda vague. Did you actually talk to them? What were you asking Elle to do that confused her? What did Blair say that made you think she thought it was a joke?

Maybe she was vague for a reason. She probably wouldn't be fired for posting something that simple. It's possible that she had the experience and was really hurt and wanted to say something. I doubt someone could blame her. Let her be. She didn't say something personal about them, it was more about her.

And, not to you, but a few days before Christ. a lot of people were working or doing something. Oh no, the baby can't be bothered.

izza1
Debater
Debater

Post by izza1 »

How is someone who works in advertising in Hollywood? Hahaha If she talked to other people, hmm

boop
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by boop »

1) read carefully she said it's a largely known drugstore brand.
2) most advertising agencies are closed around that time due to clients being unavailable. Some started closing Dec. 24, but only to finish up things, this goes for ALL the large advertising companies. (i'm very familiar with them..)
3) Why would you be talking to Elle and Blair to book them and not their agents? It's very well known that they have agents so if you are from a large advertising company + this is for a large drugstore brand, wouldn't the agent be the one to handle all the logistics? Then they can deal with E&B? It's not just the shoot that needs to happen, but payments, negotiations, etc. Their agents would handle that. If not their agents, their network (if they are with one...)

xyz
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by xyz »

I think this is legit..as i have mentioned a good handful of times that i think burgerkingboy knows them personally..you see they got upset about this "situation" as if it actually happened and even gave the OP a gender. I have never seen burgerkingboy defend either fowler unless its money related/business related.

like my post that got deleted...BKB put the OP as the person in the wrong for not contacting E&B in an adequate amount of time AND asking elle to work on a project "with an injury"(also revealing more of an exact timeline than the OP) when Elle could have simply returned the phone call in a professional manner with a "im sry i have an injury i cant make it, not able, and would you mind calling more in advance for a project"

ih8ih8
Informer
Informer

Post by ih8ih8 »

Exactly. Let's say the OP was just so out of line like BKB thinks... Elle and Blair still have the choice to be kind and professional in their response. What's that saying, something like, 'Be nice to everyone because the people you see on the way up are the same people you see on the way down,' or something like that. Stupid nasty entitled bitches that think they are IT.

karmandee26
Lurker
Lurker

Post by karmandee26 »

Hi All,

Apologies for my delayed reply I have been traveling like nuts working within this industry. A very big change from financial services.

To answer some questions:
1. My firm is closed around the holidays, we had a shut down from the 19th - beginning of January. As a poster pointed out this is common of most marketing and PR firms. The calls happened a few weeks prior in early December. I posted on that date because I actually had some free time and thought it would be interesting to share.

2. The filming has wrapped and are now in editing mode, they will launch in late April/Early May. Don't have a date yet, but super excited to see them. I don't get involved in the production just the marketing and branding around the videos and print ads.

3. Elle & Blair insisted on being on the call. I reached out to their manager which is what I did with most of the other gurus, however their agent/manager got back to me and requested that they be on the call which was a nightmare.

4. Prior to me taking the new role in November the photo and video shoots were roughly scheduled (meaning they had an approximate week it was going to take place) and had signed paperwork from all of the gurus. My first task when I took over the new role was to work with production companies, editors, photographers and nail down dates with the brand and the gurus. I started phone calls out to Elle & Blair in November and it took me being extremely pushy to get some sort of reply from them. The brand was insistent on having them be involved in this so I was doing what was best for my client trying to get hold of them. If they just would have said, sorry we can't no issue. However studios and etc were booked based on their signed paperwork. We ended up replacing them with someone more interesting and credible in the makeup world, which I think did the brand a world of good in my opinion.

5. I'm not going to go into details what was said, however, they treat everyone around them like minions, like the whole world works for them. It would have been huge brand exposure for them. I wish them luck in their careers, but hopefully we won't cross paths again, they are the mariah carey's of the beauty guru world.

6. Other gurus were all amazing to work with. I met Patrick Starrr and I have to say he is amazing and a true talent. I didn't work with him on this specific project, but I am trying to get him paired up with a few of my clients. Along with Manny MUA. They are both such amazing people.

7. Nothing was assumed about any gurus, we reached out to each of their managers in the summer of last year to gauge their interest on this project. They all signed paperwork to do it. If you sign in paperwork that you are going to do something unless there are unforeseen circumstances (like Elle's injury) it means you are going to do it. All we needed was a quick call, Elle got hurt, we can't do it. That's it, no problem. Not all of this running around having my assistant being yelled at over the phone and over email. Completely unprofessional IMO.

8. I believe someone was asking if I was located in Hollywood, I am not. I am located in NY. I work with clients in consumer goods all throughout the world though.

9. As far as my gender goes, I'm 100% female :) So the person who thought I was male was wrong.

I hope this clears things up :)

Karmandee...no that's not my real name, just a nickname from college :)

karmandee26
Lurker
Lurker

Post by karmandee26 »

Also, I'm fairly new to this forum. I went to Playlist live and met some really interesting people from the youtube world. I can share some of who I met and my experiences if you're interested.

lookanothergossiper
Learner
Learner

Post by lookanothergossiper »

what happened to their makeup line skylark?

Return to “Elle & Blair”