Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Condos cost?

Post by Angie V »

bspatrol wrote:
Angie V wrote:
bspatrol wrote:^This is all funny to me. Then there is the loft issue. Lofts are supposed to be two levels, but I live in loft that is one level. Go figure. But yes condo means own, apartment means rent. And, what the hell is a flat?
Lofts aren't necessarily two levels because then you have the housing that is referred to as an "urban loft" which is basically an open floor plan often with features like exposed brick and piping and stuff. The terminology is kind of confusing...
I guess I live in an urban loft but it's a new build and no brick or pipes. All the new build lofts around here are two levels. Thanks for the explanation. : )
Oh yeah they don't all have to have those features, just a lot do :3 maybe it's also a cultural difference. Like I barely hear people use the word "flat" here in the states, we usually just say "apartment". I think of flat as being more of a European (or more specifically English) term. I could be wrong though.
imma ball til the day i fall

Liney
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Liney »

Angie V wrote:
bspatrol wrote:
Angie V wrote: Lofts aren't necessarily two levels because then you have the housing that is referred to as an "urban loft" which is basically an open floor plan often with features like exposed brick and piping and stuff. The terminology is kind of confusing...
I guess I live in an urban loft but it's a new build and no brick or pipes. All the new build lofts around here are two levels. Thanks for the explanation. : )
Oh yeah they don't all have to have those features, just a lot do :3 maybe it's also a cultural difference. Like I barely hear people use the word "flat" here in the states, we usually just say "apartment". I think of flat as being more of a European (or more specifically English) term. I could be wrong though.
A flat is an apartment, you can either own it or rent it, it's still called a flat. It's mainly a UK and Ireland thing.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

Liney wrote: A flat is an apartment, you can either own it or rent it, it's still called a flat. It's mainly a UK and Ireland thing.
uh yes I'm aware? Lol. I was talking about the term "flat" being more European / English because I rarely hear it in the states, not that we don't have flats/apartments here.
imma ball til the day i fall

Silver Rose 39
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Silver Rose 39 »

Can I just point out there IS a space and value difference between a flat and an apartment (at least in the bit of the UK I live in). An Apartment costs a lot more money (whether you're buying or renting it) and the building is in better condition, the apartment has a bigger floor plan and more rooms, and a safer location or more security.

Where as a flat will have less space/ less rooms, be cheaper and the building will be in worse condition, and it wont be as safe.

The general idea IS the same though.

twentysomethingirl
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by twentysomethingirl »

I would say that half a million seems like an accurate estimation. For Blair, this condo might be ideal since she is still so young and it might be too soon for marriage&children for her. Maybe Elle also thought the same for herself when she bought it, but now she is engaged and I think Alex started to stay in her house. They will eventually need to leave somewhere bigger or she needs to redecorate the whole condo so he can fit in. In that case, she will either pay two mortgages or sell the condo. I think that they were too mesmerized with the luxurious, sparkly life in Hollywood and they wanted to fit in. However, they are not as successful as M. Phan and they do not make as much money, so I think buying a family-friendly place would have been better for Elle. They might have got even a bigger condo/house to the same price or cheaper in a different location.

However, they seem not to plan the future and go with what they want at that moment. And this will always put you in trouble in the long run. Just sayin'.

Return to “Elle & Blair”