Markiplier - Part 2

M0nkeeButt2590
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Markiplier - Part 2

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 »

AquarianHorse wrote:Yeah that's awesome he wants to go back. I remember saying he wish he did more after school kind of stuff too. I agree he'd be swarmed :/ It's flattering but sorta creepy (but tons of eyes on me makes me super anxious anyway D:) I was going to say maybe he could do online but if it's not for engineering maybe he would have to go in person? D: Unless there is other things he wants he can do them online. I would LOVE to do art classes at a college, just to learn new ways to improve, but I think with art, you'd have to go in person too..I rather do a community college though, I hear they're much cheaper and online classes usually are cheaper. To be honest, I don't know what kind of things you can do in online class vs you having to go in person. I do want to go out more, just my anxiety gets in the way >_> but Mark is pretty inspiring, but I wouldn't say he cured my anxiety and depression. His videos make me smile, and be in a good mood for however long I watch him, but then I'm sometimes back to where I was, if that makes sense (Depending on mood) :P I think the only person that can "cure" depression/anxiety is themselves probably.

Oh I am glad to see I am not the only one that doesn't like MSB..he just rubs me the wrong way and just ugh yeah -_-
Personally I did not enjoy doing online classes when I was in college. I felt like I didn't learn as much as being in a classroom and the teacher's critiques were very confusing and not as personal. But some people enjoy online to hands-on, just find what you're comfortable with. But yeah unless you're going for graphic design or photography, I don't think online classes work for art majors. Engineering I don't know since that wasn't a field I was ever interested in, maybe some of our forum members who have or are studying engineering can tell us if their studies are/was more hands-on.

I think Psych might have a point, he likely will get swarmed maybe the first month, but after a time they'll likely just ignore him or he'll find a place to hide. But again, Mark would still have to set certain boundaries that he's there to work, not goof around with fans.

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans »

And we all know how good he is about setting boundaries. :roll: :rofl:

But seriously, he'll probably be better at setting boundaries in a school setting since he's there for the purpose of getting a degree, not to meet fans.

M0nkeeButt2590
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 »

Kierans wrote:And we all know how good he is about setting boundaries. :roll: :rofl:

But seriously, he'll probably be better at setting boundaries in a school setting since he's there for the purpose of getting a degree, not to meet fans.
That's what I think too. Or maybe he'll have it like a small campus meetup once in a while for students who want to hang with him and get their questions answered. Just as long as he delegates it only to students on campus and not to outside sources. I can easily see other fans swarming UC because they heard Mark was there.

kei
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Post by kei »

M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:
Kierans wrote:And we all know how good he is about setting boundaries. :roll: :rofl:

That's what I think too. Or maybe he'll have it like a small campus meetup once in a while for students who want to hang with him and get their questions answered. Just as long as he delegates it only to students on campus and not to outside sources. I can easily see other fans swarming UC because they heard Mark was there.
They would though, regardless of any boundaries set by him or campus security. Have you seen how they legit throw things at him at cons if they can't get close enough to him to hand it over like a normal person? I'm going to bet he knows that, too. It makes me wonder if he's going to wait until his prime Youtube days are behind him, when going back to school won't be such a security risk for the other students.

Still, you can tell there's some wistfulness on his part there. Especially between the photo he posted on tumblr, the various jokes-that-aren't-really-jokes this year about how he used to be an engineer, and that "sad panda" bathtub moment in the Top Ten video he did.

He doesn't want the crappy "9-to-5 cubicle" thing that comes with most engineering jobs, though, so I'm not sure what he'd actually do with an engineering degree at this point.

M0nkeeButt2590
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 »

kei wrote:
They would though, regardless of any boundaries set by him or campus security. Have you seen how they legit throw things at him at cons if they can't get close enough to him to hand it over like a normal person? I'm going to bet he knows that, too. It makes me wonder if he's going to wait until his prime Youtube days are behind him, when going back to school won't be such a security risk for the other students.

Still, you can tell there's some wistfulness on his part there. Especially between the photo he posted on tumblr, the various jokes-that-aren't-really-jokes this year about how he used to be an engineer, and that "sad panda" bathtub moment in the Top Ten video he did.

He doesn't want the crappy "9-to-5 cubicle" thing that comes with most engineering jobs, though, so I'm not sure what he'd actually do with an engineering degree at this point.
Maybe something to fall back on in case he can't make it into the music or movie business and Youtube doesn't become a sustainable job anymore?

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans »

I think he wants to go back to school to accomplish something that people outside of Youtube-land would understand, y'know? Even if I was otherwise successful, I know I would have regretted it if I had been unable to graduate from college.

shyguyflys
Informer
Informer

Post by shyguyflys »

I highly doubt that Mark would jump right back into the college thing the moment his YouTube career died down. He would probably wait several years afterwards, after all of his other options have been exhausted.

kei
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kei »

shyguyflys wrote:I highly doubt that Mark would jump right back into the college thing the moment his YouTube career died down. He would probably wait several years afterwards, after all of his other options have been exhausted.
Maybe...but he's what, 26 now? Assuming he goes another 4-5 years or whatever (I'm hoping he doesn't hit that burn-out wall that seems to affect a lot of long-term LPers) he technically couldn't wait several years if he wanted to go into a more scientific field. Yeah there are more people entering the workforce later in life, but if he waited a few years after "retiring" from Youtube before going back, that's another couple years in college before getting his degree and getting a job. An entry-level position looks a lot different at 32-33 than it would ten years earlier.

I don't know. I think he likes the idea of going back, and may eventually finish to say he did it, but given his creative interests (matched with the ability to make money from them) he probably wouldn't switch fields entirely.

shyguyflys
Informer
Informer

Post by shyguyflys »

kei wrote:
shyguyflys wrote:I highly doubt that Mark would jump right back into the college thing the moment his YouTube career died down. He would probably wait several years afterwards, after all of his other options have been exhausted.
Maybe...but he's what, 26 now? Assuming he goes another 4-5 years or whatever (I'm hoping he doesn't hit that burn-out wall that seems to affect a lot of long-term LPers) he technically couldn't wait several years if he wanted to go into a more scientific field. Yeah there are more people entering the workforce later in life, but if he waited a few years after "retiring" from Youtube before going back, that's another couple years in college before getting his degree and getting a job. An entry-level position looks a lot different at 32-33 than it would ten years earlier.

I don't know. I think he likes the idea of going back, and may eventually finish to say he did it, but given his creative interests (matched with the ability to make money from them) he probably wouldn't switch fields entirely.
That's what makes it the issue, though. I said what I did on the basis that he may have other options with him at the time that he prefers over cubicle work (because that's what a lot of engineering jobs are).

DeathToAllSpiders
Talker
Talker

Post by DeathToAllSpiders »

kei wrote:
M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:

I know of a lot of entertainers who've chosen to go to school at big, publicly accessible, and it doesn't always go badly. I don't know about other countries, but it seems like American campuses tend to have reaaaaaaally strict anti-stalking and harassment policies, and those apply to everyone, including fangirls. If Mark went back to college, then following him around campus or sexually harassing him would mean subjecting yourself to some pretty serious potential penalties and risking your own college career in the process.

He may not be at the right point in his career to do it right now, but I feel like completing his degree or even starting a brand new one would absolutely be an option for Mark, if/when he chooses to go that route. The guy strikes me as really intelligent, and I love watching his engineer's brain wreck challenges in video games. I feel like Mark Fischbach has every bit as much to offer the world as Markiplier does, and any field he chooses to get into in the future would be lucky to have his brain in the mix.

kei
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kei »

shyguyflys wrote:That's what makes it the issue, though. I said what I did on the basis that he may have other options with him at the time that he prefers over cubicle work (because that's what a lot of engineering jobs are).
Oh, okay, I get what you mean. Yeah, at this point I'd think he's made enough of a name for himself he'd definitely have options even if or when he drops LPs entirely.
DeathToAllSpiders wrote:I know of a lot of entertainers who've chosen to go to school at big, publicly accessible, and it doesn't always go badly. I don't know about other countries, but it seems like American campuses tend to have reaaaaaaally strict anti-stalking and harassment policies, and those apply to everyone, including fangirls. If Mark went back to college, then following him around campus or sexually harassing him would mean subjecting yourself to some pretty serious potential penalties and risking your own college career in the process.

He may not be at the right point in his career to do it right now, but I feel like completing his degree or even starting a brand new one would absolutely be an option for Mark, if/when he chooses to go that route. The guy strikes me as really intelligent, and I love watching his engineer's brain wreck challenges in video games. I feel like Mark Fischbach has every bit as much to offer the world as Markiplier does, and any field he chooses to get into in the future would be lucky to have his brain in the mix.
Yeah I thought of the fact other entertainers have successfully gone to school too, but I wonder if the University of Cincinnati has dealt with it before. It seems more like a coastal university issue as opposed to the midwest, though that may just be my own perception. I also agree he'd do well in whatever field he wanted, given the combo of his analytical mind, right-brain artistic vision, and determination. It just looked to me like he really enjoyed the challenges that engineering brought him, but couldn't stomach the idea of being locked into a desk job for the rest of his life when so much creativity was itching to get out. Just my .02 :P

shyguyflys
Informer
Informer

Post by shyguyflys »

http://gurugossiper.com/viewtopic.php?f=372&t=20880

Please continue the conversation here. This thread will be locked by a mod any moment now. Thank you. :love2:

Return to “Markiplier”