A year after graduation and can't find a job

bartie
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A year after graduation and can't find a job

Post by bartie »

Hi guys. I graduated about a year ago with a BA in Psychology. I've been searching for jobs since then, and I am having no luck. I currently work in retail, and am really over my job (been there 3 years). I'm someone who really hates change and is extremely insecure/socially anxious, so interviewing for new jobs and actually getting a new one really scares me, but I know it's obviously something I must do to become independent.

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about looking for jobs? I've mainly been searching online, and either I don't meet the requirements, or the job is something I'm not interested in. Should I try an internship this far out from graduation? (I never did one during college, I always worked)

Also, any tips for prepping myself for a possible new work environment or interviews would be great!

Thanks guys :)

oliviarose91
Lurker
Lurker

Re: A year after graduation and can't find a job

Post by oliviarose91 »

We're in the same boat! BA in History, graduated in 2012. Don't let the requirements put you off, you may not tick all the boxes, but the person hiring may make an exception if they like you. At first, I was the same, I'd be put off applying if I didn't meet all the requirements. I haven't landed a graduate job yet, but at least I am getting more interviews(I just keep getting beaten out by people with more experience). Spend some time making the experience you have in retail fit the description, skills are mostly transferrable anyway! Cast your net a little wider, if you can. Apply to everything within reason that you think you could/ would want to do.

The prospect of getting a new job may seem daunting, but everyone has to start somewhere! Good luck!

go_further
Informer
Informer

Post by go_further »

Do NOT think requirements are something that will hold you back. I just recently got a job where the minimum requirement was MA, and I didn't even have AA at the time.... Just apply, it won't hurt you. They will see your resume and if they call you, they need you. I would highly suggest Monster.com and putting your resume there. Make it one page, no longer, because they won't read. Apply to agencies such as Adecco, Randstad etc. Indeed.com as well.

bartie
Learner
Learner

Post by bartie »

oliviarose91 wrote:We're in the same boat! BA in History, graduated in 2012. Don't let the requirements put you off, you may not tick all the boxes, but the person hiring may make an exception if they like you. At first, I was the same, I'd be put off applying if I didn't meet all the requirements. I haven't landed a graduate job yet, but at least I am getting more interviews(I just keep getting beaten out by people with more experience). Spend some time making the experience you have in retail fit the description, skills are mostly transferrable anyway! Cast your net a little wider, if you can. Apply to everything within reason that you think you could/ would want to do.

The prospect of getting a new job may seem daunting, but everyone has to start somewhere! Good luck!
Thank you so much, glad to know I'm not alone! :)

bartie
Learner
Learner

Post by bartie »

go_further wrote:Do NOT think requirements are something that will hold you back. I just recently got a job where the minimum requirement was MA, and I didn't even have AA at the time.... Just apply, it won't hurt you. They will see your resume and if they call you, they need you. I would highly suggest Monster.com and putting your resume there. Make it one page, no longer, because they won't read. Apply to agencies such as Adecco, Randstad etc. Indeed.com as well.
That's definitely good to know, thank you for your help!

GeraldtheGiraffe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by GeraldtheGiraffe »

I just graduated last week, and thought it was bad I didn't have a job yet :/ I'm a Political Science major, and I'm trying to move somewhere other than DC

Lily_Smith
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Lily_Smith »

The first thing you need to do to have a job you wish is to make a great resume! And while making it you should compliment yourself as much as possible! When you send a good resume to a company it's already 90% that you'll be invited to an interview. Some people prefer to order professional help at sites like http://craftresumes.com/, but if you know how to do it on your own just be attentive and don't make grammatical mistakes, otherwise you won't be a desired candidate...

foxtail
Learner
Learner

Post by foxtail »

Don't get discourage from interviews! The more you do, the more practice you will get and it will build your confidence. Majority of the interview questions are all the same. They just want to see if you will fit for the company.

If searching online doesn't work, I would suggest finding a temp agency and gaining some experience through that.

Return to “Work”