London

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

London

Post by Sonia »

So I'm going to be in London for a couple of days on a layover in the beginning of February. I've never been, so I was hoping those of you who have (or who live there!) could offer some recommendations on what to do/see (and most importantly, eat :P) aside from the usual sites. If you have any suggestions for good places to stay, that'd be great too! Also, how cold will it be? It'll be summer where I'm headed so I hope I don't have to pack a heavy winter jacket. :(

Thanks in advance! <3

paperbackwriter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: London

Post by paperbackwriter »

Awww I was hoping you were going when I am going over Christmas...just because it'd be a fun coincidence :P

Anyway, from what I know about Europe, no snow, but grey, drizzly, chilly, blah. Eat some curry because it's delicious. I know I don't live there but after I go I will report back with some tourist silliness.

Fabulous Chronicles
Learner
Learner

Post by Fabulous Chronicles »

You will need a heavy winter jacket, sorry - and prob some boots too. In fact last Feb almost all of the UK was covered in thick snow! I haven't been to London for a while but I will have a think about things to do - how long are you there for?

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

paperbackwriter wrote:Awww I was hoping you were going when I am going over Christmas...just because it'd be a fun coincidence :P

Anyway, from what I know about Europe, no snow, but grey, drizzly, chilly, blah. Eat some curry because it's delicious. I know I don't live there but after I go I will report back with some tourist silliness.
Haha, thanks! I hope you have a good time. :)
Fabulous Chronicles wrote:You will need a heavy winter jacket, sorry - and prob some boots too. In fact last Feb almost all of the UK was covered in thick snow! I haven't been to London for a while but I will have a think about things to do - how long are you there for?
Ah well, I love snow so that'll be worth it. I'll only be there two nights with about two and a half days to do stuff. I arrive around 0700 on a Saturday and leave Monday evening.

PurpleRain
Talker
Talker

Post by PurpleRain »

Hey guys! So I live in London :) Have lived here for 18 years! If you guys need any advice just contact me! Or I could defiantly show you around when you come if you would like :) especially if its ur first time u need some help! February is VERY cold here so get jumpers and a jacket and boots as it snows here on jan/feb. December is cold too so u should get a jacket! As I said I'm here if you need any help <3

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

It will be cold so wrap up warm, but wear layers as shops can be very warm. What sort of things do you enjoy doing?
Remember there are a lot of great free things to do in London so don't be tempted into going to that overpriced rip-off Madame Tussauds (£30!!!)

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

loopyloo wrote:It will be cold so wrap up warm, but wear layers as shops can be very warm. What sort of things do you enjoy doing?
Remember there are a lot of great free things to do in London so don't be tempted into going to that overpriced rip-off Madame Tussauds (£30!!!)
Other than visiting the British Museum I'm not that interested in lengthy historical outings (hopefully that doesn't sound too awful), especially since it's such a short trip. I'm considering going to a play or musical. Otherwise, I really just want to eat lots of diverse food, visit Shakespeare's Globe, go to some markets/shops and hit some of the traditional landmarks. I would go to some gardens/parks but it won't be the best time of year for that, unfortunately. :P

MakeupGirly
Informer
Informer

Post by MakeupGirly »

Enjoy, I love London!
I was there for two nights two years ago when I was in school. We managed to pack in seeing 'The Phantom of the Opera', going out for a nice meal together, shopping on Oxford St., shopping at the Camden market, shopping (well, more like looking) in Harrods, seeing Buckingham Palace, saw Big Ben, saw where the Prime Minister lives, and looked at the London Eye, didn't have time to go in it ha ha. My feet were sore and I was so tired after that trip, it was amazing and I want to go back soon. It only costs about €40 ($50) for a return ticket so pretty easy to do.

Fabulous Chronicles
Learner
Learner

Post by Fabulous Chronicles »

Sounds like you have a good plan already. One thing to bear in mind, when you travel about by tube is you don't get to see as much of the city or really get your bearings. Try and go on a sightseeing tour and don't go on the London Eye unless it's a clear day, you won't see much.
If you are coming in from Heathrow there is a quicker train you can take into the city, I haven't been for about 5 years and it was £50 (return I think) then so goodness knows how much it costs now.
Have a wonderful time! :)

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

Sonia wrote:
loopyloo wrote:It will be cold so wrap up warm, but wear layers as shops can be very warm. What sort of things do you enjoy doing?
Other than visiting the British Museum I'm not that interested in lengthy historical outings (hopefully that doesn't sound too awful), especially since it's such a short trip. I'm considering going to a play or musical.
Might be worth going to the TKTS (half-price ticket booth) in Leicester Square then. Or if you are into more serious theatre queues up for day seats at the National Theatre.

alliwantistruth
Informer
Informer

Post by alliwantistruth »

Ooooh I'm an hour away from London by train! :D Re. markets/diverse foods there's loads of markets in London - Camden market is the only one I've been too, but it had a food market with different stalls of world foods :D Also, lastminute.com sells tickets for theatres pretty cheaply (though not sure if you have to be a uk resident to get them? hopefully not! :P :) )

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

Thanks for the tips on discounted tickets, I'll definitely be checking those out. :D

Is there anything to do around Gatwick airport? I have a separate 11 hour layover that will partially be spent going from Heathrow to Gatwick and whatnot, but I'll probably still have at least 5 hours to sit around twiddling my thumbs and I'd rather be doing something than sitting in the airport. :P

paperbackwriter
Gossiper
Gossiper

I just got back from London on Saturday and loved it so much that I'm going back next week before I head back to the US :P

I did lots of 'sploring, mostly visited all the Premier League stadiums in the city which was really cool. But you probably don't want to do that.
Um, Shoreditch is a fun place, you should go to the Albion and get a salted caramel tart because yum.
I don't think Gatwick is actually in the city? Not sure how you're getting there but Heathrow is a little bit out of the way too. But I know that's on the Piccadilly line so you can take that straight to Hyde Park.

SallyCinnamon
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by SallyCinnamon »

Sonia wrote:Thanks for the tips on discounted tickets, I'll definitely be checking those out. :D

Is there anything to do around Gatwick airport? I have a separate 11 hour layover that will partially be spent going from Heathrow to Gatwick and whatnot, but I'll probably still have at least 5 hours to sit around twiddling my thumbs and I'd rather be doing something than sitting in the airport. :P
They are both big airports. It may just be me but i find them both quite disorientating, so by the time I've found where I need to be, I spend a very little while in duty free then I stare at the monitors like a paranoid weirdo. (The one time I didn't do this I was last on the plane and everyone glared at me.) I find airports very stressful. Apologies for this useless post! I hope you enjoy your trip :)

paperbackwriter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Also if any of you London people want to get your drink on next week (or something) let's do it.

Return to “Europe”