Smaller, lesser talked about bloggers.

INdifferent
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Smaller, lesser talked about bloggers.

Post by INdifferent »

^^ I don't know who she is, if she comes from money or what the deal is. But why would you post that? I have a serious case of 2nd hand embarrassment from her. If you wanna boast about your money, then do it like normal people do, buy designer gear and show off - it's way more effective.
:tu: idiot
Please bear with me, English is my second language

Flo Kennedy
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Flo Kennedy »

https://twitter.com/charleylucy - "Rambling of a Beauty Blogger"

Ugh where to start with this girl. For one, how does working part time doing social media for a company or running a blog make you a 'Social Media Exec'? Since when did bloggers start making up job titles for themselves.

Flo Kennedy
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Flo Kennedy »

Flo Kennedy wrote:how does working part time doing social media for a company or running a blog make you a 'Social Media Exec'?
EDIT: Now been changed to 'Social Media Manager' in her bio - cringe. This isn't even the first blogger I've come across that give themselves this ridiculous title. You have to work HARD to earn yourself the title of manager or executive!

INdifferent
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by INdifferent »

Also bloggers who call themselves editors, writers etc.
:tu:

who_ami
Lurker
Lurker

Post by who_ami »

Well, if they're getting paid for it, technically they can call themselves professional writers...

kaylee
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by kaylee »

who_ami wrote:Well, if they're getting paid for it, technically they can call themselves professional writers...
Quite an insult to real writers/journalists don't you think?

IMZ-xo
Informer
Informer

Post by IMZ-xo »

kaylee wrote:
who_ami wrote:Well, if they're getting paid for it, technically they can call themselves professional writers...
Not really. Get off your high horse. If a blogger is getting paid for WRITING how can you say they're not a professional writer?

Anybody can be a writer. The difference between a PROFESSIONAL writer and an average writer is one gets paid and the other doesn't. Simple.

It might not seem correct because they're not qualified in it or haven't wrote for publications or written a book, but it still holds true. They're getting paid for their writing.

kaylee
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by kaylee »

IMZ-xo wrote:
kaylee wrote:
Not really. Get off your high horse. If a blogger is getting paid for WRITING how can you say they're not a professional writer?

Anybody can be a writer. The difference between a PROFESSIONAL writer and an average writer is one gets paid and the other doesn't. Simple.

It might not seem correct because they're not qualified in it or haven't wrote for publications or written a book, but it still holds true. They're getting paid for their writing.
I'd still refer them as paid bloggers, never PROFESSIONAL writers. I could never reduce professional bloggers to just bloggers. Some writers have passion, and bloggers, well mostly wants popularity.

And technical writers who do SEO/web content, for me, are still writers.

Writers have to do a lot of critical thinking --- identify a topic (that may revolve around a product or service), a tone, they incorporate their writing syle while keeping it formal (usually). They ensure grammar and spelling checks. They have editors as well. They need to have a foundation, a background in writing.

Bloggers ---- it's all about the product/service AND them. Yes, THEM. No need for writing experience. Heck, post gazillion photos and a brief description and they're done!
Think about those research papers you have written and compare it to a blogger's entry. Don't you think you deserve a pat on the back?

It's not being on a high horse. Profesional writing has a lot of work compare to blogging. Once published, it's out there. For blogging, you can still edit it and just say oops. And even if one points the edit out, who cares right? It is your blog and you are just human.

IMZ-xo
Informer
Informer

Post by IMZ-xo »

kaylee wrote:
IMZ-xo wrote:
kaylee wrote:

I'd still refer them as paid bloggers, never PROFESSIONAL writers. I could never reduce professional bloggers to just bloggers. Some writers have passion, and bloggers, well mostly wants popularity.

And technical writers who do SEO/web content, for me, are still writers.

Writers have to do a lot of critical thinking --- identify a topic (that may revolve around a product or service), a tone, they incorporate their writing syle while keeping it formal (usually). They ensure grammar and spelling checks. They have editors as well. They need to have a foundation, a background in writing.

Bloggers ---- it's all about the product/service AND them. Yes, THEM. No need for writing experience. Heck, post gazillion photos and a brief description and they're done!
Think about those research papers you have written and compare it to a blogger's entry. Don't you think you deserve a pat on the back?

It's not being on a high horse. Profesional writing has a lot of work compare to blogging. Once published, it's out there. For blogging, you can still edit it and just say oops. And even if one points the edit out, who cares right? It is your blog and you are just human.
I think you're referring to the average blogger who writes about makeup, things they buy, what they done in their day, etc. which is not what I would call a professional writer, you're right. That would be a disgrace for actual pro writers.

I'm talking about bloggers who have actually turned their blogging in to a business and pursue blogging as a passive or full-on career. Those bloggers who actually write proper article-type of posts which provide actual value to their readers.

Those sort of people put A LOT of effort into their content and plan things out meticulously just like a writer would plan out an article. Don't undermine the work that they do.

Yeah blogs are focused around people usually and it can be all about me me me but if that's the angle they wish to pursue and it works and they have something valuable to add, why not? But that being said, the biggest and most respected bloggers don't do that and when they do share parts on their lives, it's to enforce a point. Not to brag or make themselves the centre of attention.

Let me rephrase my previous comment, I wouldn't call ALL bloggers who get paid professional writers but their are some who deserve the title. And it's probably not the kind of blogger you're thinking of.

kaylee
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by kaylee »

^^ uhm yes, that is the point. i would give them a title if they were actually doing something similar to a professional writer (i.e. an actual writer posting his/her articles to a blog) but i wont say that they're just a writer OR a blogger. I'd call them both --- like how some chefs are food bloggers and you call them both: a chef and a blogger. Or those in publication/magazines... because as a blogger, they only represent themselves while in their real day work they represent an institution/industry.

ahint
Learner
Learner

Post by ahint »

I think I've mentioned Rachel Anise, who writes at the beauty professor before. This girl is quite sneaky with her affiliate links. In her recent video on YT, Beauty Professor Current Fall Makeup Routine Tutorial, her description box says "Products (with links to their respective reviews etc.) Discussed". Most of them are affiliate links, yet no mention of that. Just mentions links to respective reviews. Someone asked her in the comments if those are affiliate links and she says something like its a mix of both and its to help her readers find products easily. Like they cannot google it. She links to her disclosure page, which doesn't mean anything at all. Absolutely NO mention of saying these are affiliate links which makes her super unethical.

Flo Kennedy
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Flo Kennedy »

It's absolutely awful when they do that and don't even mention that they're affiliate links! I'm not sure if it's a legal requirement though? I should think so if they're earning money from it, but that's a bit of a grey area for me! Very unethical as you said, either way!

fingerpaints
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by fingerpaints »

This blog I can't even

http://poutybloom30.wordpress.com/

1) I know we don't all have impeccable spelling and grammar skills, but if you're writing for an audience and you struggle, please do use spellcheck.
2) Her 'gucci haul' showed pictures of products in boxes. That's it.
3) Those W7 shadows are budget, sure, but they look baaaad.

INdifferent
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by INdifferent »

^^ Just checked out this blog and the first post:

"I was sent this for review, ive always seen W7 but never really given this brand a go and im very happy that i was fortunate to"

She really can't be bothered can she? English is my second language, I also blog, I take hours writing one blog post to make sure 1. my spelling/grammar is correct and 2. it's easily readable. Not only is she not finishing her sentences who writes (ive) - come on! :x :roll: :roll:

Desert Wind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Desert Wind »

FTC regs state that bloggers are supposed to disclose press samples, affiliate links in use, if a post is sponsored at the beginning of the post before any links that would lead a reader to a site to make a purchase that would net the blogger a commission or other benefit. Bloggers should also post the same disclosures at the end of the post. Bloggers/vloggers who don't disclose are unethical.
Just Me :DMod Hat On :D

xfactor
Talker
Talker

Post by xfactor »

I think all bloggers *should* disclose, but is the FTC stuff actually enforced? and i think that applies to US bloggers only, am i right?

IMZ-xo
Informer
Informer

Smaller, lesser talked about bloggers.

Post by IMZ-xo »

xfactor wrote:I think all bloggers *should* disclose, but is the FTC stuff actually enforced? and i think that applies to US bloggers only, am i right?
It's not enforced and yes, it's only applicable to US bloggers.

Flo Kennedy
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Flo Kennedy »

The more I look at this girl's blog since mentioning it on here before, the more I can tell what kind of person she is. By just going from her About page, it seems she is trying to attempt to create this 'cool' alter ego on her blog, but frankly some of her makeup/beauty posts are awful.

The bottom right photo makes me crack up! ALSO what's with the random scrolling social media icons?! After trying to chase them with my mouse for what seemed like an age, I also came across some cringe-worthy YouTube content - *you're not the only one that doesn't go out clubbing, love.* I'll leave this here for you guys to decide what you think but maybe she should consider growing out her eyebrows

ramblingofabeautyblogger.com

ahint
Learner
Learner

Post by ahint »

Beauty Gypsy is a blog I absolutely loathe. She has NO talent whatsoever. I can't believe PR folks from Burberry, Laura Mercier, etc send her stuff. She does not have disclaimers and her makeup is pathetically applied always!

- Horrible eye makeup with some ugly photoshopped blurs around the eyes. I can't believe ppl are dumb enough to ask her to teach them.

- Talks about a burberry lipstick as a "love", but when someone asks in the comment she says she'll go home and tell them the color name..can't remember. Wth?!! So much for loving it.

So annoying she also keeps leaving comments on Charlotte Tilbury's Instagram photos saying come take a look at my feed, I've featured your products. Screams free samples to me!

Flo Kennedy
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Flo Kennedy »

That first Instagram photo is all kinds of wrong.

Return to “Abhorred Bloggers”