Weight Loss Tips & Tricks

Shameless
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Weight Loss Tips & Tricks

Post by Shameless »

I thought I'd start a thread where we can share weight loss tips and tricks.

Please keep in mind that this is a thread about getting the weight off initially and not necessarily about maintaining a healthy lifestyle so of course some of these tips should not be applied long term.

Here are my tips.

Weigh yourself every 2 or 3 days. To weigh yourself every day is silly but to leave it a week is even sillier because if you get slack and start gaining a week's worth of damage is a lot to undo if it takes you that long to notice.

If you are having a serious craving for something really bad such as chocolate, etc. drink 1 or 2 glasses of water, have something healthy but sweet such as fruit and/or do 10 minutes of exercises such as push ups, leg lifts, etc. This is usually enough to discourage me from eating the bad thing.

If you simply must eat something bad first look up how many calories are in it and then do enough exercise to burn it off BEFORE you put it in your mouth.

When you first start 'dieting' and trying to lose weight you should definitely count your calories and record how much you burn off with exercise. It is so easy to over eat if you are not recording it. I use a program called Calorie King which allows you to look up and then record your food/calories, how much you burn off with exercise, your water intake as well as recording your weight weekly. This is an Australian site but I'm sure you could find something similar that is relevant to your country.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Please don't hesitate to share your own tips and tricks :)

Satanick
Learner
Learner

Re: Weight Loss Tips & Tricks

Post by Satanick »

Something I notice to keep me from eating junk or satisfying a craving is to remember how I feel after I eat it. For example, if I'm craving something really unhealthy like fast food, I usually do not feel good afterwards and usually the food isn't all I hyped up to be in my mind once I eat it. So next time I'm craving it I think about the last time I ate it and how it was not even that good and satisfying the craving was not even worth it.

Decayedbeauty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Decayedbeauty »

My only tip is that is 90% diet.
And calories you work out don't get added back into your net to eat like mfp suggests.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

I try to not count calories, I have a custom diet (change it every week) and I lose 1-2 kg every week (even tho I'm in my "normal weight"), so I wouldn't get obsessed with them if you're dieting, since it has the right amount of what you should eat (obviously I if wanna eat something with 1000 calories I will count them)
Don't feel bad after you eat something high in calories cause it will make you eat even more, just make sure next time you eat less.
Drink a lot of water.

But my best tip is, don't get obsessed with it and don't try to compare yourself with a model (I use to compare my body with supermodels and I ended up with bulimia)

Also if you want to diet, go with a nutritionist if you can, since normal diets don't work for everyone, every body is different and you may need something that isn't in the diet you saw on a magazine.

koon75
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by koon75 »

There are many things that are good for weight loss you similarly, lemon juice is very good and useful for reduce fat from the body and helps to make you body smart and slim. If you drink it early in the morning with mix with water would be more affected. I think, we should have good and fresh fruit and fruit juices good diet and like fresh vegetables in our daily menu and should stop all that fast food that are not good for health. Balanced diet is must be in our daily food menu. And we should not ignore the importance of daily exercise.

lawson12

Post by lawson12 »

I totally agree with you that staying away from junk foods can help a lot in losing weight. Junk foods are very unhealthy and harmful for our body. It is best to stay away from them. Drinking lots of water is also said to be effective while shedding few kilos. Apart from this doing a regular cardiovascular workout will surely help you lose some weight.

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by hollaatmegurl »

Since I've started trying to get healthy and lose weight, I drink a large glass of water like 15 minutes before a meal so I feel more full and end up eating less. Also, if I get hungry between meals, I drink milk, it keeps me full.

If any of you guys are walkers for exercise, I've heard from a few different things about switching up your pace - like walking for a certain distance at a normal pace, then speeding up to a power-walk for a block or two. Apparently it's supposed to rev up your calorie burn or something, it was compared to slamming on the gas pedal of a stopped car every few blocks, burning more gas.

And, okay, this sounds stupid but if I have a craving for junk food or something that'll set me back, I give myself a little pep-talk like "COME ON SAM, YOU A STRONG BITCH YOU DON'T NEED THAT FUCKIN' CHOCOLATE, MAN."

Bluffology
Informer
Informer

Post by Bluffology »

A tip I learned was to eat things in smaller plates or bowls. Such as if you want some ice cream, scoop some (or fill up) into a tiny cup and it feels like you're not getting any less.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

This is what I did, it might not be the best thing to do but it worked

Try going on a strict diet for just one week. Limit your calories for 7 days, and eat the minimum needed to sustain your body and energy, whatever that may be based on your individual situation. Do this for only one week, and your stomach is likely to shrink so that after that week, you will fill up faster and are less likely to overeat.
and
Think of your food as fuel instead of pleasure. You should still enjoy food, but don't stuff yourself for no reason other than that it tastes good.
and
Limit your starchy carb intake if you eat a lot of it. For example, say that you will only eat it twice a day or something, so you can save it for breakfast and dinner, etc.

My usual dinners consist of
1/2 cup starchy carb (rice, pasta, bread or potato, etc.)
1/2 cup protein (like beans)
vegetables
water

I can barely get through even that now.
imma ball til the day i fall

smiley
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by smiley »

Drink green tea. Eat with chopsticks. It forces you to slow down and you pick up less food to eat than a spoon. If you can handle spice, eat foods with hot peppers. It helps raise your metabolism.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

smiley wrote:Drink green tea. Eat with chopsticks. It forces you to slow down and you pick up less food to eat than a spoon. If you can handle spice, eat foods with hot peppers. It helps raise your metabolism.
I love green tea. I'm really good with chopsticks and I can eat just as much, just as fast with them as I can with a spoon or fork (no kidding). Unfortunately I can't handle spices with capsaicin in them, but there are some spices that can rev up the metabolism that don't contain it - like ginger, cinnamon, and garlic. I know there are more but those are the only ones I remember off the top of my head. :)

Decayedbeauty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Decayedbeauty »

My main tips are, drink water or unsweetened drinks and if you are hungry EAT! Or else you'll be more likely to binge. I try and keep lots of fruit around for snacks.

Hirusaurus
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Hirusaurus »

I've lost 16 kilos from doing these things. Still have 25 to go.

-I drank a table spoon of apple cider vinegar dilluted in a glass of water to avoid hunger pains. I do not recommend doing that everyday though, since it can be bad for your teeth. Your body will get used to eating less over time so.
-Counting calories might be a good idea in the start. Also investing in a digital kitchen scale is a good idea.
- Do lots of cardio training like running and aerobics.
- Increase your intake of fruit and vegetables

fukou
Debater
Debater

Post by fukou »

i just started drinking about 3 liters of water a day. i've been losing weight for about 2 years and when i first started, my eating was really good and clean and i never craved anything because i was drinking a lot of water. but i started getting lazy about it i guess and found i couldn't control cravings much when i wasn't drinking a lot. and for about the last several months i've had a terrrrrible relationship with ice cream. that's my number 1 food weakness and i'd binge on it all the time. well, anyways, since i've started getting back into drinking like a gallon of water a day i don't think about ice cream, i'm in a much much muuuch better mood, and it's just really good for you anyway to be really hydrated as you all know. the only thing is that since i just started drinking so much, i've gained like 10lbs of water weight that i'm hoping will go down soon. that's the only downside for me. ugh.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

fukou wrote:i just started drinking about 3 liters of water a day. i've been losing weight for about 2 years and when i first started, my eating was really good and clean and i never craved anything because i was drinking a lot of water. but i started getting lazy about it i guess and found i couldn't control cravings much when i wasn't drinking a lot. and for about the last several months i've had a terrrrrible relationship with ice cream. that's my number 1 food weakness and i'd binge on it all the time. well, anyways, since i've started getting back into drinking like a gallon of water a day i don't think about ice cream, i'm in a much much muuuch better mood, and it's just really good for you anyway to be really hydrated as you all know. the only thing is that since i just started drinking so much, i've gained like 10lbs of water weight that i'm hoping will go down soon. that's the only downside for me. ugh.
Drinking water doesn't cause water weight gain, eating too much sodium (salt) will, by causing you to retain water.

fukou
Debater
Debater

Post by fukou »

Kleineganz wrote:
fukou wrote:i just started drinking about 3 liters of water a day. i've been losing weight for about 2 years and when i first started, my eating was really good and clean and i never craved anything because i was drinking a lot of water. but i started getting lazy about it i guess and found i couldn't control cravings much when i wasn't drinking a lot. and for about the last several months i've had a terrrrrible relationship with ice cream. that's my number 1 food weakness and i'd binge on it all the time. well, anyways, since i've started getting back into drinking like a gallon of water a day i don't think about ice cream, i'm in a much much muuuch better mood, and it's just really good for you anyway to be really hydrated as you all know. the only thing is that since i just started drinking so much, i've gained like 10lbs of water weight that i'm hoping will go down soon. that's the only downside for me. ugh.
Drinking water doesn't cause water weight gain, eating too much sodium (salt) will, by causing you to retain water.

oh, sorry then for getting that wrong! i read if you weren't drinking enough your body would hold onto water the next time you drank enough or something like that? i might've misunderstood. i don't think i've had too much sodium lately, just a lot of water and i've been bloated and a lot heavier. maybe it's something else. i eat a lot of grapes and those are pretty sugary so maybe it's that? frustrating. i look up too many diet/nutrition articles and then just end up even more confused than before.

yoashleydawn
Learner
Learner

Post by yoashleydawn »

I actually have so many tips, it's weird. haha

1. Drinks lots of water.
2. When you think you're hungry, drink some water and wait a few minutes. A lot of the time you're actually thirsty.
3. Eat on brightly coloured plates. When you have your food on a white plate, it actually kind of blends in, so you take more and feel obligated to eat it.
4. Take smaller portions, because again, when you take more, you feel obligated to eat it.
5. Ditch the soda and juice. Loaded with sugar.
6. Don't snack two hours before you sleep.
7. Eat lots of fibre, especially in the morning cause it helps keep you going and keep you full longer.
8. Don't skip breakfast. Even just two pieces of toast or something easy. It gets your metabolism going for the day.
9. If you can, eat spicy stuff. It's good for your metabolism again.
10. When you're eating a snack, try to make sure it's under 10g of sugar if you can help it.
11. Ask for your salad dressing on the side instead of on the actual salad.
12. When eating out, ask for half your meal in a to-go bag. They usually give you huge portions and this way you have leftovers for supper or lunch!
13. Don't cut out everything!!! This makes it a chore. Just eat it in moderation :3
14. Park farther away so you're walking more.
15. Take the stairs, not the elevator. Durp.
16. If waters really boring for you, add lemon juice to it. It's really good for you, and tastes good.
17. Put the fork down after every bite. This will help you slow down your eating, cause when you're eating, it takes about fifteen minutes for your body to recognize that you're full.
18. Don't eat in front of the tv.
19. Eat at home or pack your own meals so you know what you're putting into your body. (and saves you money)
20. Ride your bike! If it's nice and you have the time to bike to school/work, do it. It's good for you and it feels good!
21. Be productive. If you're sitting around all day (guilty!) you get bored and snack a lot.
22. DO NOT SKIP MEALS. This makes your body kind of freak out and go into hamster mode, storing all the food into fat vs. energy.
23. Plan your meals ahead of time. That way you're not like 'oh hey i don't know what to eat mcdonalds it is'
24. Use kids plates. They're smaller so you won't be piling stuff on (well you might but it'll all fall off)
25. After dishing up, put away the leftovers immediately. If they're left out, you'll go for more when you probably aren't even that hungry.
26. Get to bed girl! The longer you're awake, the more you're going to consume. Om nom nom.
27. Use a pedometer and try to aim for about 10,000 steps a day.
28. Watch out for the 'fat-free' stuff. Sometimes they have more sugar than the regular.
29. Hot soups are your best friend. They help keep you full longer and keep you warm.
30. When having any type of meat, your portion should be about the size of your closed fist. Save the rest for another meal.
31. Pound out your meat! (lol i giggled) It relieves stress and makes for more meals
32. If you live with someone and they're also trying to lose weight/be healthier, pack each others lunches. It's a nice little surprise.
33. Keep your posture straight. It doesn't seem like much, but you're actually burning calories doing this.
34. If you're eating a sandwich at a restaurant, ditch the mayo, cheese and top bun. That's about 250 calories right there.
35. Halfway through your meal, take a few seconds to see how hungry you really are. You might be full.
36. Brush your teeth after eating. This deters you from snacking.
37. When grocery shopping, stay on the outer layer. That's where all the healthy things are. The aisles are filled with crap.
38. Keep a food journal. Keep track of the meals you really enjoyed and use those as motivation.
39. Remember, you won't lose weight instantly. It's gonna take some time, but it's worth it.
40. If you turn to food when you’re upset, when you do get upset, remember why you wanted to lose weight. :3
41. When you go exercising, plan our different ones. (example: i hate running but love swimming. go running one day then swimming so you can look forward to it yay!)
42. If you work in a retail job like I do and you're hanging stuff that's low, do squats while doing it
43. Sex and making out burns calories. (brb gonna call my boyfriend to come over)
44. Cleaning burns calories and helps your house look good.
45. If you're feeling stressed, a nice walk always clears your head + gets you some exercise
46. If you babysit like I used to, take the kid(s) out and do something with them. It gets you all moving! Teach them young.
47. When you're home alone (or have no shame) literally dance like no ones watching. I dance in my room like a total loser for 30 minutes a day (pretending I'm a famous rockstar) and by the time I'm done, I've worked up a sweat.
48. Don't go grocery shopping when you're hungry. It makes you want everything.
49. If you go to the gym, don't talk. You're going there to work out, not gossip.
50. Think thin. I lost 6.6lbs in two months by just thinking "well damn, i think i've lost weight" i didn't do anything different. Seriously.

(this was taken from my tumblr so if it looks a little weird, that's why haha but this is all stuff I do)

LittleHero
Learner
Learner

Post by LittleHero »

Probably sound like obvious well known ones but:

- Eat a big breakfast. I usually have 2 weetabix, a slice or two of wholegrain toast and a banana. These are all high energy foods that keep me going right through the day, so that I can have a small lunch and don't get any urges to snack until dinner time.
- Don't eat after 7:30. Your body doesn't have time to burn the calories off before you go to bed. Set an alarm at 7 to remind you to go and grab a final snack if you feel need to. If you get hungry after have a glass of water or fruit juice, half the time the empty feeling in your stomach can be filled by a drink.

asterdefense
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by asterdefense »

EAT FOOD YOU LIKE. Don't get me wrong, eat healthy. However, don't force yourself to eat food you hate the taste of, because it'll be way harder to keep your diet going strong. Experiment with different fruits and veggies, and find yummy, healthy recipes online. I guarantee, eating healthy will be so much easier.

Rosegoldstar
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Rosegoldstar »

Myfitnesspal is an easy way to track calories

Return to “Diet”