Obese Mother, Possible Divorce?

RoseHammer
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Obese Mother, Possible Divorce?

Post by RoseHammer »

Okay so I've mentioned this in a couple other threads, but if you haven't read it, I'll try to make this as short and clean cut as possible:

Background: I'm 19, living with my parents, attending junior college. ( Almost done with my AA though! :D )

My mother is obese. Like 280 pounds, early 60's. She also has back problems. She's been overweight since before I was born, pretty much her whole life. She also has anger issues and is incredibly verbally abusive at times. Nearly every day she yells or fights with either me and my dad. We both have learned to keep our cool and shut it out though. My grandmother ( maternal ) also lives with us, and recently became disabled as well.

About 5 weeks ago my mom slipped outside the house and ended up fracturing her leg because of the pressure of her weight trying to get up. This was right after my grandmother fell, so for the last 2 months or so I've been caring for both of them. It's been stressful being a day and night nurse along with school and my job but I've been able to handle it. However, I think my dad is on his last rope.

My dad is very hardworking and has put up with my mom's outbursts and over-eating as well as I. He does drink but has never gotten violent or disruptive. But lately he's been drinking more, and told me the other day about how angry he was over my mom breaking her leg. She whines about wanting sympathy when she's not yelling and berating us from her chair about food, chores ect. But he really doesn't feel sorry for her because she can't will herself to lose weight, because she overeats when stressed. She eats whole packages of ice cream, boxes of cereal and packages of cookies. The other day she pretty much ate two larges bags of peanut M&M's by herself. She goes on a diet every month or so but goes back to her old ways. She also tried Weight Watchers but made excuses to not go. She also has a shopping addiction and buys way too much food, expensive clothes and jewelry she doesn't need, and put herself 10 K in debt at one point.

My dad has been going out more than usual, so I'm not sure what he's doing but I really don't blame him. I have to wonder if he wants a divorce because he's just sick of her behavior. He said he'd pay for Weight Watchers or a personal therapist and that I could go with her to make sure she'd stick to it. I'd be willing to do it but I don't think she realizes what she's doing to her marriage. I kind of wish they would separate sometimes because she just treats him so badly and acts like he'll be her punching bag forever. I would love if he met someone that treated him well because i think he deserves better. She is constantly shooting both of us down, saying her problems with work and her health are so much worse than ours because we "don't have it as hard". It's making me really hate her.

Can you guys give me any suggestions on how to help my mom lose weight? And do I sound like a bad person if I wouldn't feel too bad about my parents divorcing? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Shameless
Debater
Debater

Re: Obese Mother, Possible Divorce?

Post by Shameless »

I am sorry you are in this situation. It should not be your job to look after your parents, especially at the age you are now, just beginning your life as an adult, even worse as your mother is unappreciative.

I honestly don't know what advice to give you, hopefully someone else will chime in with something constructive.

You don't sound like a bad person re. hoping they will separate, but honestly, separation could even make it worse. With more stress and whatnot, and your mother will probably rely on you as her punching bag, and you will probably have to listen to her complain about your father 24x7.

I know you can't just abandon her, but is there any chance of you maybe being able to move out? Live with a relative or friend or something while you go to college?

RoseHammer
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by RoseHammer »

I'm saving up to move out actually, though I have to secretly do it. Obviously my parents don't want me to and assume I should stay at home for my entire time I'm in college. They also want me to wait to buy a car until I'm out of college. Unfortunately I have other plans and I'm going to leave without their blessing, but if I don't do it I'll be miserable. I'm working every day towards my goal so I have that to keep my chin up.

I could possibly move in with my aunt... she has an extra bedroom since my cousin moved out.. hmm I didn't think of that.

Shameless
Debater
Debater

Post by Shameless »

RoseHammer wrote:I'm saving up to move out actually, though I have to secretly do it. Obviously my parents don't want me to and assume I should stay at home for my entire time I'm in college. They also want me to wait to buy a car until I'm out of college. Unfortunately I have other plans and I'm going to leave without their blessing, but if I don't do it I'll be miserable. I'm working every day towards my goal so I have that to keep my chin up.

I could possibly move in with my aunt... she has an extra bedroom since my cousin moved out.. hmm I didn't think of that.
I think you should definitely focus on getting out of there and making your own life for yourself, not letting them hold you back, etc.

From my own personal experience, I think moving out at a young age can be beneficial, so long as you are responsible with money, have a job and can support yourself, etc. You definitely need a car first though, especially if you live somewhere that has crappy public transport.

I'm 20, still living with my mother, and although she isn't *that* crazy, I think living with her is holding me back developmentally. Even though she doesn't really boss me around or tell me what to do, I can't really do anything like have friends around because it's kind of embarrassing having your mum around. Even little things like buying groceries. She is always at me about eating healthy, but when I buy groceries and attempt to cook for myself she always makes remarks about me filling up the fridge and freezer. Silly things like that.

[yoonicorn]

Post by [yoonicorn] »

In regards to the weight thing; She needs to see a therapist for her food addiction. She won't lose a significant amount of weight until she fixes the underlying issues of why she overeats. The reason she overeats is probably also the reason she has anger issues. So it will help that too. It's probably also because she's lazy but considering she could eat 2 large bags of m&ms by herself shows that it's more than just over-eating.

You should move out, definitely. Even if it's just for a little while. I don't think you're a bad person for wanting your parents to split up, you just want your dad to be happy. But I think marriage counselling would be worth a try.

kldubbz
Stalker
Stalker

Post by kldubbz »

As a person who has dealt with weight issues all my life I gotta say it's quite eye opening seeing it from another point of view and I am so sorry you have to deal with this. Even though you are 19, that is still very young and you certainly shouldn't have to be facing this in your life right now.
Moving out and putting space between you and your parent's might be the best thing for you and your relationship with them.

When it comes to your mom losing weight, she truly has to be accountable for her actions and overeating and even then it's still going to be a hard road and only possible if she truly wants it. Many people assume losing weight is simple, and it is but losing it and keeping it off is another story. Maybe offer to go walking with her, or start a new healthy meal plan with her. If she becomes defensive you can discuss your concerns for her and her happiness and health, at the end of the day however we can only control ourselves and how we react to the choices other people around us make, and no one but her can change the situation she's in. I wish you luck and hope things work out for the best.

Return to “Family”