Ruby Granger part 3

3calico3
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ruby Granger part 3

Post by 3calico3 »

Just saw a comment on her latest Study With Me video, asking her to talk about how she engages with academic/scientific texts and her process for planning and writing essays. Oh how I would love to see that! I've been so curious about what she actually does in terms of academic reading (not books, but journal articles), and how she always manages to write 1000s of words over the limit if she does indeed have a proper essay plan.

Honestly-someone
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Honestly-someone »

I usually 'excuse' a lot of her childish behaviour, as I don't see it as really harmful most of the time but this Peter Pan lookbook had me feeling type of way... Like others have already said, it was painfully uncomfortable to watch. The way she dresses in this video reminds me of the way my mother would dress me when I was around the age of 8. The playsuit and dungarees outfits are the exact kind of outfits I would wear as a small child.
The shot of her playing in the tree house was the last straw really. Are her parents not worried about this kind of behaviour? She's 20 years old, dressing up like a child and playing in her garden. No, this behaviour isn't hurting anyone else. But surely it's hurting her? I wonder why she's like this and if there's anything that could be done to help her.

Griftwood
Learner
Learner

Post by Griftwood »

WatchandWonder wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 am
Where are the book hauls, the challenging readings, the classics, the various book subscription boxes?
Hold on. There are book subscription boxes? 😱 I need this in my life! (Idk why this is so surprising to me, I’ve subscribed to several yarn boxes over the years...)

Moment of second-hand embarrassment on Instagram just this afternoon, she has a paid post about piano music and lists her fave pianists as Alexis Ffrench, Tchaikovsky and Bach. Disappointingly, she only features recordings by Ffrench in her stories. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would pay a moderate sum of money to hear the famous pianist Bach play in person.

(I want to say things about her taste in ”classical music”, but I don’t want you guys to find out what an insufferable snob I am. Plus I’m sure my taste is equally pedestrian to someone else.)

3calico3
Informer
Informer

Post by 3calico3 »

Griftwood wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:47 am
WatchandWonder wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 am
Where are the book hauls, the challenging readings, the classics, the various book subscription boxes?
Hold on. There are book subscription boxes? 😱 I need this in my life! (Idk why this is so surprising to me, I’ve subscribed to several yarn boxes over the years...)

Moment of second-hand embarrassment on Instagram just this afternoon, she has a paid post about piano music and lists her fave pianists as Alexis Ffrench, Tchaikovsky and Bach. Disappointingly, she only features recordings by Ffrench in her stories. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would pay a moderate sum of money to hear the famous pianist Bach play in person.

(I want to say things about her taste in ”classical music”, but I don’t want you guys to find out what an insufferable snob I am. Plus I’m sure my taste is equally pedestrian to someone else.)
Just the term 'piano music' sounds... wrong. You wouldn't say 'flute music', 'guitar music' etc. Surely it's piano pieces?

effervescent
Debater
Debater

Post by effervescent »

Yeah the lockdown and being home with her family 24/7 definitely doesn’t seem to have helped her a bit; at least in university she was able to experience being around people her own age and with more diverse backgrounds. She really didn’t look a day over 14 or 15 at most in that peter pan lookbook, if you didn’t know her you would never guess she’s twenty years old.

I feel like I’ve been saying it for ages now but I don’t see her passion for English literature. I mainly see a girl who likes to dress up as characters from children’s novels and has to keep herself busy for the sake of feeling productive and filling her time, rather than working efficiently. I hope she can find some way to get out of her little bubble (she expressed interest in studying in America awhile back – wonder if she ever will actually do that) and grow a bit.

laurajessica
Learner
Learner

Post by laurajessica »

That shirt she has with the cat collar makes me cringe so hard...she looks half like a 5 year old and half like an 80 year old.

laurajessica
Learner
Learner

Post by laurajessica »

That shirt she has with the cat collar makes me cringe so hard...she really needs to dress more age appropriately, I can't imagine people taking her seriously in stuff like that, they'll think she's got some kind of developmental impediment.

Post by Guest »

effervescent wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:19 am
Yeah the lockdown and being home with her family 24/7 definitely doesn’t seem to have helped her a bit; at least in university she was able to experience being around people her own age and with more diverse backgrounds. She really didn’t look a day over 14 or 15 at most in that peter pan lookbook, if you didn’t know her you would never guess she’s twenty years old.

I feel like I’ve been saying it for ages now but I don’t see her passion for English literature. I mainly see a girl who likes to dress up as characters from children’s novels and has to keep herself busy for the sake of feeling productive and filling her time, rather than working efficiently. I hope she can find some way to get out of her little bubble (she expressed interest in studying in America awhile back – wonder if she ever will actually do that) and grow a bit.
I felt that Peter Pan lookbook was directly calling us out - remember how about 6 weeks ago a bunch of us posted wondering if she had Peter Pan Syndrome? and she reads the section from the book about Wendy never wanting to grow up. Which ugh it just made me gag. I think it was probably inspired by her viewing of Finding Neverland, but that she doubled down when seeing our comments here. She definitely reads here.

I'm still thoroughly obsessed about her miraculously healing ankle. I know it was so long ago, but whenever I see her posts or videos I just think "Liar, such a liar, what a pathological liar!"

laurajessica
Learner
Learner

Post by laurajessica »

effervescent wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:19 am

Exactly what I think, I feel like she just reads lots because she sees it as productive and a way for her to chase perfection. Similar to the way she emulates Hermoine, she is the image of perfection so that's why she acts like her by reading and studying lots. In her old videos she really does copy Hermoine like a robot, its really strange. I feel like if she really loved literature she wouldn't still be reading A Little Princess at university.

Ariawyn
Learner
Learner

Post by Ariawyn »

There are plenty of YouTubers who dress in a vintage fashion while also being modest who manage to look their age. Rachel Maksy comes to mind. Adult + vintage doesn’t automatically have to = overly sexualised pin-up styles. I feel like if it was a case of wanting to look old fashioned or “wholesome” she could more than find a way to do that while looking like a 20 year old, but that’s not what she wants - she specifically wants to dress like a child instead. It’s the only explanation.

I don’t use the word lightly, but the lookbook definitely unsettled me. I noped out when I got to the outfit with the long plaited pigtails, it just made me too uncomfortable. I feel like she could achieve so much if she just accepted her age and the fact that time, well, passes. And maybe it’s easier said than done if mental illness is really at play here - I’d hate to tell a depressed person to just “cheer up” etc - but all she’s doing is holding herself back, which is a bit ironic considering her whole internet persona revolves around achieving her full potential.

I hope she gets the help she needs, honestly. I check in on her videos every so often but if the upcoming ones make me as uncomfortable as this one I’ll have to stop.

Post by Guest »

Ariawyn wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:02 pm
There are plenty of YouTubers who dress in a vintage fashion while also being modest who manage to look their age. Rachel Maksy comes to mind. Adult + vintage doesn’t automatically have to = overly sexualised pin-up styles. I feel like if it was a case of wanting to look old fashioned or “wholesome” she could more than find a way to do that while looking like a 20 year old, but that’s not what she wants - she specifically wants to dress like a child instead. It’s the only explanation.

I don’t use the word lightly, but the lookbook definitely unsettled me. I noped out when I got to the outfit with the long plaited pigtails, it just made me too uncomfortable. I feel like she could achieve so much if she just accepted her age and the fact that time, well, passes. And maybe it’s easier said than done if mental illness is really at play here - I’d hate to tell a depressed person to just “cheer up” etc - but all she’s doing is holding herself back, which is a bit ironic considering her whole internet persona revolves around achieving her full potential.

I hope she gets the help she needs, honestly. I check in on her videos every so often but if the upcoming ones make me as uncomfortable as this one I’ll have to stop.
It also made me extremely uncomfortable. I hope Ruby realizes that the longer she continues this "I don't want to grow up" charade, the more problematic she becomes/looks. not that she's sexualizing children/childhood, it's just very discomforting to watch a grown woman play-pretend. I hope her parents have a genuine talk with her about the perception she's giving off and the kinds of people it might attract. I think they need to have a genuine sit-down with her, but I doubt they'll do anything. Her mum especially seems to enjoy this child-like Ruby.

Kieranka
Learner
Learner

Post by Kieranka »

Agree with the above posts, the lookbook also made me feel uneasy, especially when she was pretending to play like a child with the tree house and that pyramid-shaped glossy thing.

I'm 28, don't come from an affluent family and still am frugal when buying clothes, so I have lots of them from when I was a teen. Sometimes i feel like I should rebrand and buy "adult" clothes. But in no way are they childish-looking.

With that lookbook I felt like she (unconsciously) went closer to the Lolita style than in previous lookbooks. I bet most of you guys/girls on this forum also find that style problematic at times.

MissTomato
Learner
Learner

Post by MissTomato »

omg her latest video was SO EXTREMELY weird to watch. almost unsettling. she was at times super relaxed and high energy, not prim and proper little miss perfect, i almost didn't recognize her.

but i also must say i cringed SO hard at her "slim green" tea and the fact that she'd let it brew for almost an hour. green tea is supposed to brew only for 2-3 minutes, or it gets bitter and can give you headache. i don't know the exact brand she used so maybe she brewed it correctly, but when i heard "green" and saw her let the bag stay in the mug for so long i knew i had to come here and complain about that.

laurajessica
Learner
Learner

Post by laurajessica »

aylee wrote:
Ariawyn wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:02 pm

It also made me extremely uncomfortable. I hope Ruby realizes that the longer she continues this "I don't want to grow up" charade, the more problematic she becomes/looks. not that she's sexualizing children/childhood, it's just very discomforting to watch a grown woman play-pretend. I hope her parents have a genuine talk with her about the perception she's giving off and the kinds of people it might attract. I think they need to have a genuine sit-down with her, but I doubt they'll do anything. Her mum especially seems to enjoy this child-like Ruby.
Exactly, it's uncomfortable to watch her play pretend as a fully grown adult. Her latest video she had that cat collar shirt on with a matching cat pinafore. It literally looks like something a mother would dress their 5 year old in. She is in her twenties.
I can't imagine seeing someone my age (I'm the same age as Ruby) wearing that around uni, it would weird me out so much that someone was dressing that much like a child, everyone would stare and make comments. It's sad how much she's stuck in her own bubble, she could be having the time of her life at uni and rebelling a bit with her new added freedom, but instead she's dressing up as Wendy from peter pan. It's very concerning imo.

3calico3
Informer
Informer

Post by 3calico3 »

I think it's clear that Ruby fears time passing, to the extent that she isn't appreciating the present.

I'm very aware of time passing as I get older, and the things I enjoy now won't/can't last forever, but that makes me appreciate them more while I can. I have no desire to regress back to earlier periods of life, even if I was 'happier' then, because I know that that isn't useful or healthy.

I think because Ruby considers herself to have 'peaked' in secondary school/sixth form, she's desperately trying to maintain how she was then, at the expense of her personal development now.

sunny711
Stalker
Stalker

Post by sunny711 »

As someone who has been watching Ruby`s videos for a while and technically being the target for it, that is being someone who enjoys studying, research, reading, and so on, that would be considered a "nerd" or "bookworm". I can tell that what she does in her videos is neither productive nor efficient (and hella weird, for the record). Sure you can dedicate whole days to revising if you have exams or want to learn something in particular (for instance an online course),but not wasting 30 minutes making a to do list. You can do exercise (you should do) but I personally have a hard time beliving that jumping in a trampoline counts as it. Of course you can reread your favourite childhood books, but filming yourself playing in a treehouse with a Peter Pan attire and saying straight into the camera "Mommy, I don't want to grow up" is going to far!.
Besides, her attitude as this productive persona is just... just wrong. I'm genuenly concerned for her I don't think that acting as she does is normal at 20 years old, and I am 15!
Plus (this may be too extra, and even a bit mean but) How in the World does she think that how she moves or dances in the lookbook (and in general) is correct? I am not an expert but having taken dance classses since age 6 I can safely say that she has no grace at all, and I think that pretending that she does is simply arrogant.
And there are a lot of other things about her that I just feel uncomfortable aboul (let alone her kindness crusade) but I have stuff to get done so I'll end here...

Griftwood
Learner
Learner

Post by Griftwood »

Ruby did an interview with Ali Abdaal on his channel, if you have an extra hour and a half and endless stockinette to knit like I did, it’s a nice chat. Really showed that Ruby isn’t very good at talking about things outside her immediate area of interest, though. (Also, when Ali asked her to recommend a classic book with some romance in it, she recommended Great Expectations. “It’s like a coming of age novel.”)

N88459
Talker
Talker

Post by N88459 »

I'm getting caught up on her most recent videos and I honestly can't stand when she does her fake, cutesy smile to the camera.

It looks so forced and she looks like she's trying so desperately to look young for the camera

blmrqslm
Learner
Learner

Post by blmrqslm »

Her fake smiles are awful! It seems like it was almost painful for her to force them 😆

Sprezza
Learner
Learner

Post by Sprezza »

Did she delete the lookbook that was mentioned here? I can't find it on her channel

Return to “Ruby Granger”