Ruby Granger

emilyk
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ruby Granger

Post by emilyk »

not to defend ruby but in my school at least when we did RS we just...never visited the places. We went to a synagogue and a church once. I think I was about 7. Plus, as an adult I've tried to visit more synagogues and mosques but they've either been really far away or needed a security check and took ages.

Also I see Ruby doing academia to be honest, she'll probably do her MA then see what she wants to do.

BettyJ
Lurker
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Post by BettyJ »

Judymonster wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:47 am
BettyJ wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:40 pm
Ruby doesnt film when being social - "ohh what a hermit, so childish"
Ruby films being social - "wow totally forced!"
Don't tell me you think that video was natural, we both saw how artificial it was.
To me it felt like she is not used to film that type of interaction, not that she doesnt do it! Also, people usually dont really like being filmed, so they act awkward - and because Ruby is maybe little shy (but not antisocial or sth like this!), she acts accordingly "in response". I get it, I would not be very pleased with friend vlogging all the time and me being in vlogs, when I maybe dont look my best, dont know what to say etc.

Post by Guest »

I don't know how to explain it but I always get this weird vibe from her when she does these storytimes, especially when she talks about herself as a child. It's like she loses that gentle, innocent vibe she always tries to portray and becomes this subdued, even haughtier version of herself, she sounds like a schoolteacher lecturing a child when she's telling these stories. It's like she ages 20 years- or at least like she's trying to come across that way.

Also. it's interesting to me that, from the videos and stories she's shown of herself as a child, it seems like she was kind of a hyperactive child, maybe with some behavioural issues and it's almost like she's spent the past years trying to repress that side of herself and become this prim and proper person instead. Maybe that's why she always seems so repressed. I know I'm reaching here lol but those are just some thoughts that came to me when I was watching her latest video.

WatchandWonder
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WatchandWonder »

Sprezza wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:16 am
I don't know how to explain it but I always get this weird vibe from her when she does these storytimes, especially when she talks about herself as a child. It's like she loses that gentle, innocent vibe she always tries to portray and becomes this subdued, even haughtier version of herself, she sounds like a schoolteacher lecturing a child when she's telling these stories. It's like she ages 20 years- or at least like she's trying to come across that way.

Also. it's interesting to me that, from the videos and stories she's shown of herself as a child, it seems like she was kind of a hyperactive child, maybe with some behavioural issues and it's almost like she's spent the past years trying to repress that side of herself and become this prim and proper person instead. Maybe that's why she always seems so repressed. I know I'm reaching here lol but those are just some thoughts that came to me when I was watching her latest video.
I always get the impression, from these videos, that she is really stuck on her childhood and definitely has some healing issues. I was surprised to find out, in the end, that her parents got her a stuffed animal "look alike" when in fact so many people have experienced a similar situation but were reunited with their original toy. And why was she rubbing they eyes of that favourite toy against the floor? Again, I pick up something autistic in this behavior. Did you see her face in the flashback video where the first thing she does is study the eyes to be sure they are scratched. No tears of love in being reunited. Happy, but had to be sure no one was pulling a fast one on her. And yet, they had. lol Guess she isn't as smart as she thought. If she had that toy for a while it would have to smell like her and be all ratty-like. She didn't pick up on it smelling, looking new and feeling new and stiffer? The look on her parent's face was not joy. It was relief and "OMG, hope this chapter of her life is done!" To me they looked exhausted from having to pamper this brat. When she does start acting preachy, I take that from her past roles in her school and always being the boss as the older sister, older cousin, older friend, in her tiny social circles at home. I have the feeling she probably isn't exactly a fun person to hang around.

YellowLadybird
Informer
Informer

Post by YellowLadybird »

WatchandWonder wrote:
Sprezza wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:16 am

I always get the impression, from these videos, that she is really stuck on her childhood and definitely has some healing issues. I was surprised to find out, in the end, that her parents got her a stuffed animal "look alike" when in fact so many people have experienced a similar situation but were reunited with their original toy. And why was she rubbing they eyes of that favourite toy against the floor? Again, I pick up something autistic in this behavior. Did you see her face in the flashback video where the first thing she does is study the eyes to be sure they are scratched. No tears of love in being reunited. Happy, but had to be sure no one was pulling a fast one on her. And yet, they had. lol Guess she isn't as smart as she thought. If she had that toy for a while it would have to smell like her and be all ratty-like. She didn't pick up on it smelling, looking new and feeling new and stiffer? The look on her parent's face was not joy. It was relief and "OMG, hope this chapter of her life is done!" To me they looked exhausted from having to pamper this brat. When she does start acting preachy, I take that from her past roles in her school and always being the boss as the older sister, older cousin, older friend, in her tiny social circles at home. I have the feeling she probably isn't exactly a fun person to hang around.
I've never thought of it before but it would not surprise me, now you say it, if she is on the autistic spectrum. Girls tend to present differently from what we think of as 'autistic' and appear more socially competent amongst other things. The being incredibly rigid and stuck in her rituals and routines, struggling with change so much, would fit very well.

Post by Guest »

Yeah the autism thing is very plausible. I remember she's said that she gets asked if she's autistic a lot and she says she isn't. But yeah, especially from the footage of her as a child, there always seems something a little 'off' about her- like she could blow up and have a really violent tantrum at any minute. And now you mention it, it did seem like her parents were more relieved than happy, relieved that they could appease her and she didn't end up throwing a fit. I get the impression she was very hard work to parent.

Side note: could also link to the autism thing- I wasn't paying full attention but she made it sound like it was years between losing and finding the toy. I don't think most children would be that fixated on one lost toy, even if it was a favourite, over a span of years. For most kids, if you can't see it anymore it tends to get forgotten about. If that was the case, it's weirdly obsessive behaviour.

Post by Guest »

Sprezza wrote: Yeah the autism thing is very plausible. I remember she's said that she gets asked if she's autistic a lot and she says she isn't. But yeah, especially from the footage of her as a child, there always seems something a little 'off' about her- like she could blow up and have a really violent tantrum at any minute. And now you mention it, it did seem like her parents were more relieved than happy, relieved that they could appease her and she didn't end up throwing a fit. I get the impression she was very hard work to parent.

Side note: could also link to the autism thing- I wasn't paying full attention but she made it sound like it was years between losing and finding the toy. I don't think most children would be that fixated on one lost toy, even if it was a favourite, over a span of years. For most kids, if you can't see it anymore it tends to get forgotten about. If that was the case, it's weirdly obsessive behaviour.
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to clarify that I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with autistic people. If Ruby is then it would be no big deal one way or the other. It's just kind of hard to talk about what is and isn't 'normal' without sounding prejudiced in some way.

WatchandWonder
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WatchandWonder »

I completely agree. I am not making fun of anyone who is anywhere on the autistic spectrum. Some of my friends are on the higher, more functional end, and I am seeing a few similarities. Her obsession with notes and her study habits overall, unable to socialize, her holier than thou attitude (sometimes autistic people have a tendency to be brutally honest or just speak their mind and cannot comprehend how that affects others), the way her parents had to intercede for exams at one point to allow her to use a computer or something rather than write because she wrote so hard she bloodied up her fingers? Sorry, that is not normal behavior. Neither is scratching the eyes out of your favourite toy! Her reading material goes from very childish to over-fixating on a subject (anorexia, bullying) which is rather concerning. Having to stick to the same hair style year after year, the same routines and not wanting to break from any of them. We could be completely wrong, but she does have some kind of behavioral disorder, that is for certain. It goes far beyond the desire to stay a child.

PeriPeriFiend-123
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by PeriPeriFiend-123 »

WatchandWonder wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:33 pm
I completely agree. I am not making fun of anyone who is anywhere on the autistic spectrum. Some of my friends are on the higher, more functional end, and I am seeing a few similarities. Her obsession with notes and her study habits overall, unable to socialize, her holier than thou attitude (sometimes autistic people have a tendency to be brutally honest or just speak their mind and cannot comprehend how that affects others), the way her parents had to intercede for exams at one point to allow her to use a computer or something rather than write because she wrote so hard she bloodied up her fingers? Sorry, that is not normal behavior. Neither is scratching the eyes out of your favourite toy! Her reading material goes from very childish to over-fixating on a subject (anorexia, bullying) which is rather concerning. Having to stick to the same hair style year after year, the same routines and not wanting to break from any of them. We could be completely wrong, but she does have some kind of behavioral disorder, that is for certain. It goes far beyond the desire to stay a child.
Honestly, I think you've hit the nail on the head. As someone who is also autistic I do see some of my own behaviours kind of link to how Ruby acts. In some videos she seemed like she was very overwhelmed by uni (especially her reaction to her first uni grade) but then the obsession with keeping her studying routines and not adapting to one that suits her current workload, it definitely seems like she has some form of autism. Maybe not to the extent that its completely obvious but there's some behavioural issues. She needs some support because even just moving to uni can be extremely overwhelming. Is there any form of counselling service that the uni offers?

Judymonster
Talker
Talker

Post by Judymonster »

I don't know if she's autistic, maybe sightly (her behaviour as a child could be strange I agree) but I think it's still very weak on the spectrum.
What makes me curious is: Why does she make that many childhood storytimes and is that enthusuastic while talking about them?
Does she miss childhood? I know this type of nostalgia happens when new college students feel overwhelmed by their "new adult life and responsabilities", especially when they are not happy with their current life.

As a viewer I am personnally not interested into childhood storytimes... yeah ok it can be cute if you show us a few old videos of you being 6y old but a whole video explaining every useless detail?! I feel like my time is wasted (And the way she emphasizes on things she did as a child like it's so cool makes me cringe a little bit... but maybe thats only me)

WatchandWonder
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WatchandWonder »

Judymonster wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:16 am
I don't know if she's autistic, maybe sightly (her behaviour as a child could be strange I agree) but I think it's still very weak on the spectrum.
What makes me curious is: Why does she make that many childhood storytimes and is that enthusuastic while talking about them?
Does she miss childhood? I know this type of nostalgia happens when new college students feel overwhelmed by their "new adult life and responsabilities", especially when they are not happy with their current life.

As a viewer I am personnally not interested into childhood storytimes... yeah ok it can be cute if you show us a few old videos of you being 6y old but a whole video explaining every useless detail?! I feel like my time is wasted (And the way she emphasizes on things she did as a child like it's so cool makes me cringe a little bit... but maybe thats only me)
Ruby has mentioned numerous times in previous, older videos, that she prefers to stay a child and doesn't want to grow up, and that she has even gone to therapy over this. But this started years ago, long before uni, so it is definitely an obsession with her. She really wants to be a child forever and it shows all the time. I, too, am sick of her stupid childhood stories. I am an adult, doing adult things, living an adult life. I'm interested in moving forward, not dwelling on the past and making such a big deal out of various occurrences I experienced as a child. Who does that?

WatchandWonder
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WatchandWonder »

Watch this video from 2015, but pay especial attention to who her role model is (no, not Hermoine yet) and why, and what she says about age starting at the 1:40 mark. When you watch this you realize she hasn't changed much at all over the past 4 years.

Post by Guest »

I dunno, I think she has changed but for the worse. I was struck by how much more relaxed she was in this video and how she seemed to show much more personality- like any other kid that age, albeit one who enjoys reading/learning more than most but I don't think at this point it had become such an obsession and I don't think she had started yet to put on the overly wholesome, old-fashioned persona. Seems like she was just being herself here which I don't think I'd ever really seen from her before.

WatchandWonder
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WatchandWonder »

Her latest video on how to prepare for a productive study time. Be sure to turn on 6 fake candles in the middle of the day when the sun is pouring into your room, because even though they give off zero scent, it might give you a better grade. ???? By the time she had everything set up and ready to go, I would have been done with 30 minutes of productive study time! Great advice, Ruby! :?

Post by Guest »

WatchandWonder wrote:Her latest video on how to prepare for a productive study time. Be sure to turn on 6 fake candles in the middle of the day when the sun is pouring into your room, because even though they give off zero scent, it might give you a better grade. ???? By the time she had everything set up and ready to go, I would have been done with 30 minutes of productive study time! Great advice, Ruby! :?
I don't get the idea of preparing for a study session either. The most I do is switch from jogging pants to a normal pair of jeans. That's it.

jiggy_girl
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by jiggy_girl »

WatchandWonder wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:35 am
Her latest video on how to prepare for a productive study time. Be sure to turn on 6 fake candles in the middle of the day when the sun is pouring into your room, because even though they give off zero scent, it might give you a better grade. ???? By the time she had everything set up and ready to go, I would have been done with 30 minutes of productive study time! Great advice, Ruby! :?
How to prepare for a study session
1 - choose your soundtrack (by uni you should know what it is)
2 - open laptop/notebook
3 - study

At uni, with so many deadlines and readings, and your to-do list changing constantly, a huge master one on a computer is much easier than three things on a piece of paper. Everything she does is counter-productive, really.

twirlingblades
Learner
Learner

Post by twirlingblades »

thechattyone wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:43 am
WatchandWonder wrote:Her latest video on how to prepare for a productive study time. Be sure to turn on 6 fake candles in the middle of the day when the sun is pouring into your room, because even though they give off zero scent, it might give you a better grade. ???? By the time she had everything set up and ready to go, I would have been done with 30 minutes of productive study time! Great advice, Ruby! :?
I don't get the idea of preparing for a study session either. The most I do is switch from jogging pants to a normal pair of jeans. That's it.
My study routine in grad school (recently finished a masters, I'm american) was finding a vaguely horizontal surface in between running to and from my office for my assistantship, my lab, and working out (I was an athlete and continued that in grad school). This was studying outside of writing my thesis-- which took up a lot of my time my second year. Writing my thesis also consisted of finding a horizontal spot in the library or student center, hoping I packed enough food to get me through the day (or grabbing something from an on-campus place), and trying to help my very needy staff who relentlessly texted me all day.

twirlingblades
Learner
Learner

Post by twirlingblades »

jiggy_girl wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:46 am
WatchandWonder wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:35 am
How to prepare for a study session
1 - choose your soundtrack (by uni you should know what it is)
2 - open laptop/notebook
3 - study

At uni, with so many deadlines and readings, and your to-do list changing constantly, a huge master one on a computer is much easier than three things on a piece of paper. Everything she does is counter-productive, really.
It really does seem like Ruby makes things *harder* for herself. Like... I could study for 15 hours too if I decided I needed to write an essay for every single little detail I read. Taking 20 minutes to set up to study is the opposite of productive. It also means that she is unable to ~productively~ study on a whim.

I was a collegiate athlete and I remember have to cram in studying in the locker room during the season and at competitions. I realize she's British so college athletics aren't as much of a thing (I think?), but I feel if she did *anything* else besides study for a significant amount of time, she would not be able to function.

airlocked
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by airlocked »

Half the video was actually tips on how to procrastinate from studying / starting work lol

philippa26
Learner
Learner

Post by philippa26 »

yeah, I used to take 30 minutes preparing to work when I was not in the mood to start work. I used the 'getting prepared' as an excuse to procrastinate actually working...

Return to “Ruby Granger”