Simply Nailogical - Part 2

ParisianDoll
Informer
Informer

Re: Simply Nailogical - Part 2

Post by ParisianDoll »

I didn’t even realize we had gotten far enough to need a new thread already! I wonder what sparked the change in makeup style, I much prefer what she’s doing now to whatever it was she was trying before in her beauty guru phase.

kozume
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kozume »

oh wow, i'm surprised lmao
anyways, yeah same, i feel like simple makeup looks better on her and i've always enjoyed a simple colorful eyeliner, while she was getting slowly better with her crazy smokey eyes, they just didn't really suited her i guess? especially for videos where she's just sitting lmao
English is my second language so i'm sorry for any mistakes

CykamoreTres

Post by CykamoreTres »

A new thread, hooray!

xBriarRosex
Lurker
Lurker

Post by xBriarRosex »

I never watched her videos, she is so infuriatingly unfunny and annoying to watch lol.
Her nails aren't even decent looking and there is no way shes taking care of them when they look like tobacco stained teeth lol

I'm glad the whole "tHaTS NoT HoLo!!!!!¡!!hahdjjans" shit under every other youtubers video where they dared mention something holo has stopped tho
Cristine doesnt even know herself what holo is and the explanation she gives is wrong

Idk haven't heard much about her in a while so maybe shes better now?

takoyaki
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by takoyaki »

The makeup thing is related to tati somehow... i dont know why she likes tati so much suddenly. It was not too long ago tati was beggin cristine for a collab and now cristine is mentioning how she idolizes tati.

izzybyrne
Lurker
Lurker

Post by izzybyrne »

i miss the old christine videos that were original and didn’t contain a ton of inside jokes about being a sock etc. i’m a long time fan of hers and i’ve been around since before polish mountain. i would love to see stuff like that again b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proverbs_
Informer
Informer

Post by proverbs_ »

I think it is simple as that: she knows she has to broaden her brand somehow in order to stay a few years relevant.

Make-up-newbie exploring make-up and doing fairly well is a believable and authentic story to her personal brand, without pushing too far and also, without the need to reveal more personal information. Make-up can be easily incorporated in her videos (no need for a new set-up, as would have been needed when expanding to travel/interior/lifestyle etc.).
Same thing when reading out her PO box - it is simple, easy content to produce while it being engaging to the audience. Also, this videos must be a good indicator in terms of feedback.

cherryc0ke
Debater
Debater

Post by cherryc0ke »

Following <3

I hope Cristine doesn't take her channel on a make-up route. Maybe in her SimplyNotlogical channel, but I feel make-up would start to overshadow the nails.

takingouttrash
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by takingouttrash »

cherryc0ke wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:29 am
Following <3

I hope Cristine doesn't take her channel on a make-up route. Maybe in her SimplyNotlogical channel, but I feel make-up would start to overshadow the nails.
She barely does nail videos as it is anymore. I don't think it'd make much difference at this point sadly...

I heard somewhere that (when she did do nail videos) Cristine doesn't mention polish brands now unless they pay her $2k (this was confirmed by one of the brands). So when she does "WHATS ON MY OTHEEEEER HEEEEEEEEEEND" you'll notice in her more recent nail vids she just says "it's a blue sparkly holo WEEEEEEEEOW" and won't mention the brand unless they've paid a shit ton for her to mention it.

Like why the fuck does it matter? She likes the brand/polish, she's wearing it, she gets a shit ton from Youtube anyway and has a second job, why does she need two fucking grand just to mention the brand??

Like I might understand if she hasn't bought it and it's a sponsorship where they send it to her and it helps boost the brand (because we all know her fans would buy out anything she promotes) but if she's bought it and likes it anyway, why try and extort money from the brand?

CynicalShrew
Lurker
Lurker

Post by CynicalShrew »

takingouttrash wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:38 am
cherryc0ke wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:29 am

Like why the fuck does it matter? She likes the brand/polish, she's wearing it, she gets a shit ton from Youtube anyway and has a second job, why does she need two fucking grand just to mention the brand??

Like I might understand if she hasn't bought it and it's a sponsorship where they send it to her and it helps boost the brand (because we all know her fans would buy out anything she promotes) but if she's bought it and likes it anyway, why try and extort money from the brand?
It's business. At this point, her naming a brand would be like a free product placement. Her followers would most likely buy shit ton of that product and she wants something for it. If she were to mention brands freely, then brands would be less likely to purchase the placement thus bringing her a lot less money.

Personally, I can't blame her for that. If i were in her position, I'd do the same. You want to milk that cow as much as possible and invest the money because you don't know how long it's going to last.

cherryc0ke
Debater
Debater

Post by cherryc0ke »

takingouttrash wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:38 am
She barely does nail videos as it is anymore. I don't think it'd make much difference at this point sadly...

I heard somewhere that (when she did do nail videos) Cristine doesn't mention polish brands now unless they pay her $2k (this was confirmed by one of the brands). So when she does "WHATS ON MY OTHEEEEER HEEEEEEEEEEND" you'll notice in her more recent nail vids she just says "it's a blue sparkly holo WEEEEEEEEOW" and won't mention the brand unless they've paid a shit ton for her to mention it.

Yeah that does sound excessive. "What's on my other hand" was never meant to be an ad placement so it's pretty deceiving to switch that up behind the scenes and not address it. I'm still holding onto the faintest glimmer of hope she'll do some fucking nail art videos already.

Raven_nevermore
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Raven_nevermore »

Ok WHAT she looked stunning as a blonde and chest length hair. I didn’t even know she was that pretty... her long ass religious cult hair brings her down several points. GO BACK TO THE BLONDE IT WAS AMAZING

takingouttrash
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by takingouttrash »

EDIT: in reply to CynicalShrew as my quote got killed...

She names brands all the time. Con Air, Dyson. Various makeup brands. All stuff she's bought and is using. Even in this hair video she's put links to the items she used. But she won't mention the nail polish she bought personally for her own use and liked unless they pay her?

You basically repeated what I said, yes her fans buy a shit ton of stuff she promotes. I'm not saying she should promote brands for nothing if they have asked her if she'll promote it if they send it for free. She has every right in that situation to say "I only do sponsorships of things I like and for XYZ payment". That's business. I agree with that.

But to buy say a polish from "Indie Brand X" because SHE likes it herself and wanted it anyway, and wears it but keeping hush hoping they will pay her $2k for a mention seems excessive imo. She was happy to do it before with various top coats and she even did a series of "best black polish" etc and I doubt they all paid her $2k for it. Maybe that's one of the reasons why she stopped doing nail videos.

Her channel brings in around $8k a month min according to SocialBlade (I know it's not 100% accurate but it's a base line) plus her second job and Ben has a good job too. If she has to ask for money at least make it somewhat reasonable. $2k is, imo, ridiculous and seems greedy. Bringing in a lot less money if she happens to mention a polish she likes? The horror!

But I'm just gonna agree to disagree. I just personally think trying to extort money from small indie businesses while she's bringing in max dough is terrible. Regardless of how much she gives to charity. I guess the silver lining is she isn't promoting Superchic Lacquer at least.

kozume
Informer
Informer

Post by kozume »

Which brand said that she asks for it? omg that's quite fucked up? idk it feels hard to believe but then again lmao we really don't know her so it could be very probable she's on it for the money
also, when it comes to her yellow nails i don't really care, especially bc i once used some green polish and that shit stained my nails until i buffed them to get them ready for acrylics lmao so i believe that they're stained cause she's never without nail polish
English is my second language so i'm sorry for any mistakes

Miszu138
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Miszu138 »

kozume wrote:Which brand said that she asks for it? omg that's quite fucked up? idk it feels hard to believe but then again lmao we really don't know her so it could be very probable she's on it for the money
also, when it comes to her yellow nails i don't really care, especially bc i once used some green polish and that shit stained my nails until i buffed them to get them ready for acrylics lmao so i believe that they're stained cause she's never without nail polish
Yes, I agree about the staining. My mom wears red nail polish all the time and her nails are yellow too (no health problems). She doesn't want to buff them because that makes them thinner and then they break easily. But she doesn't mind them being yellow because she always has them painted. I believe Cristine gives the same explanation in one of her videos. Imagine buffing your nails or whitening them every time they get stained xDD that would be horrible for them

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jaelyss
Talker
Talker

Post by jaelyss »

I don't mind Cristine much and I really do like the approach she and Ben have with the channel. It's a hobby which has turned into a great side business for them. I think it does make them more money than their actual jobs but they are real adults who don't take it for granted so they are riding it out. Cristine is really consistent considering she doesn't have a team and it isn't her full time job.

I don't watch every video but I saw her latest hair one out of curiosity. I think what irks me about the mail vids (which I don't watch) and saw in the most recent is that they have a lot of crap and props. You can see her a corner in their basement is full of junk including that mannequin with the green screen face. She can write it all off for the YT business but that is a lot of stuff that they only use/look at once or twice especially the stuff their fans send them. Safiya and other YTers are similar but Christine and Ben seem much more low key so kinda surprising they keep with the fan mail.

pepesylvia
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by pepesylvia »

f <3

Green Eyed Gemini
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Simply Nailogical - Part 2

Post by Green Eyed Gemini »

izzybyrne wrote:i miss the old christine videos that were original and didn’t contain a ton of inside jokes about being a sock etc. i’m a long time fan of hers and i’ve been around since before polish mountain. i would love to see stuff like that again b

Speaking of inside jokes, can someone please explain the Ben and bananas one? I must have missed that video so I never really get the reference every time it’s brought up.

DawnDavenport
Learner
Learner

Post by DawnDavenport »

Code: Select all

I just don't get why someone so laid back would have hair so long.
I don't get it either. She reminds me of Grav3yardGirl, who also has really long hair that she shoves in a messy bun. Hair that long is definitely hard to care for and style. If you're into elaborate Game of Thrones style updos or serving 70s Cher high glamour then by all means grow your hair long as you please. But I don't understand why someone with such a casual demeanor and style would go for something so high maintenance. A shoulder length (or slightly longer) cut would be so much more flattering and easier to manage.

Chuchi
Informer
Informer

Post by Chuchi »

Green Eyed Gemini wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:09 pm
izzybyrne wrote:i miss the old christine videos that were original and didn’t contain a ton of inside jokes about being a sock etc. i’m a long time fan of hers and i’ve been around since before polish mountain. i would love to see stuff like that again b

Speaking of inside jokes, can someone please explain the Ben and bananas one? I must have missed that video so I never really get the reference every time it’s brought up.

It came from a video with Ben's brother. He told a story aBout ben loving bananas as a kid. That's the whole thing, but every single joke in the simply nail logical universal is one little thing turned into the same repeated joke a million times (like little kids shows, because that's clearly her audience now).

Return to “Simply Nailogical”