Simply Nailogical - Part 2

MoonRosePetal
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Simply Nailogical - Part 2

Post by MoonRosePetal »

So came to this thread to see if there were actually some other people disappointed in her Holo-Days collection, and glad to not be disappointed.

I'll admit it; I almost went through with purchasing after taking a second look. However, the total with shipping completely snapped me out of this impulse buy. Over $70 for a collection that I wasn't even excited about. The hot pink and the icy blue were pretty. The rest I already have dupes in my collection.

I was more interested in her brand when she originally marketed herself as special effects nail art. But this stuff isn't ground-breaking or special besides the label on the bottle. Not sure why she's charging so much for shipping too when I've seen a ton of people complaining about how it sucks. Only people who will be buying this collection is her super fans.

After watching the video, she didn't even seem particularly inspired when creating it. She could have gone with classic holiday colors, but instead went with colors that she likes/feel festive for her. But then she says she's not a fan of pink but creates a hot pink shade for the holiday collection??? Disappointed and spent my money on other polish instead (and got free shipping too...).

wreck
Informer
Informer

Post by wreck »

I finally just unsubbed. I guess I just no longer feel the need to watch long-ass videos by someone who alternates between telling me how great she is and trying to sell me stuff.

OhHoney
Learner
Learner

Post by OhHoney »

Man, I was kind of expecting more from a collection from Cristine.

I agree with the people saying that the colors are uninspired. Was it always supposed to be a holiday collection? Almost feels like a classic, year-round, "permanent" collection, repackaged as a holiday collection. Especially considering the silver holo glitter. It's THE staple holo, is Cristine not going to want to sell a silver holo glitter polish year round?

While, I do want to note that mixing differently colored and sized holo glitters with (possibly also differently sized?) silver holo glitters in a colored jelly base is actually pretty unusual and there aren't a ton of polishes like that, and I'm sure that does create a beautiful depth, it's not likely to be enough of a difference to most people to really make her polishes stand out among many 'holo glitter in a highly pigmented jelly base' polishes that are already out there.

Bedhair
Learner
Learner

Post by Bedhair »

I like that she's making polish based on her experience as a polish fan, like there are features that she's going for (glitter that goes on in a few coats and doesn't chip quickly, quick dry that dries really fast).

But it seems like she's making polish for herself, in colors she likes. Agree with with all of the criticism on the thread!! Unless she starts making more interesting indie polish or leaving the sales videos to Holo Taco channel, I'm unsubbing too.

Post by Guest »

Well, nothing apart from the launch collection sold out and I doubt she made so many polishes...

hanaemii
NAUGHTY
NAUGHTY

Post by hanaemii »

Bedhair wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:17 am
I like that she's making polish based on her experience as a polish fan, like there are features that she's going for (glitter that goes on in a few coats and doesn't chip quickly, quick dry that dries really fast).

But it seems like she's making polish for herself, in colors she likes. Agree with with all of the criticism on the thread!! Unless she starts making more interesting indie polish or leaving the sales videos to Holo Taco channel, I'm unsubbing too.
This is so true. I was initially interested in her holo top coats when it was released but didn't bite the bullet as shipping was quite pricey but now even with the new holiday releases, I am still not interested enough to buy anything because she seems to only be making polishes that she likes.. and not what would be suited for the market. It's like she created Holo Taco solely to create her own nail polishes lol and hoping to make some money along the way from fans who have similar tastes to her (or who will buy anything with her name on it)... rather than creating an actual indie nail polish company to make a name for themselves, and last long(er) in the industry
BANNED

:hugs:

Idk96
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Idk96 »

Honestly, I think the biggest issue I have with Cristine, and tbh mainly it's more Ben, is that they keep pushing this idea that all you have to do to live a good life and make money is go to college and get a degree, which is a potentially very harmful idea at this point, as witnessed by the student loan crisis. Maybe that was the case back in the early 2000s, but now it's anything but that. A scary amount of bachelors degrees won't get you shit anymore, unless you're doing something like engineering.

I would respect them both a lot more if they were honest about the actual prospects of a college degree at this point in time, and instead of making blanket statements like "everyone should go to college", advocated for a smarter approach towards higher education. For example, suggesting people actually research the employment opportunities for degrees they're interested in, or maybe just being 100% honest and admitting that you're probably going to need a masters to make even decent money in a lot of fields (something that you would think two people with masters in sociology would be more forthcoming about).

Post by Guest »

Idk96 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:50 pm
Honestly, I think the biggest issue I have with Cristine, and tbh mainly it's more Ben, is that they keep pushing this idea that all you have to do to live a good life and make money is go to college and get a degree, which is a potentially very harmful idea at this point, as witnessed by the student loan crisis. Maybe that was the case back in the early 2000s, but now it's anything but that. A scary amount of bachelors degrees won't get you shit anymore, unless you're doing something like engineering.

I would respect them both a lot more if they were honest about the actual prospects of a college degree at this point in time, and instead of making blanket statements like "everyone should go to college", advocated for a smarter approach towards higher education. For example, suggesting people actually research the employment opportunities for degrees they're interested in, or maybe just being 100% honest and admitting that you're probably going to need a masters to make even decent money in a lot of fields (something that you would think two people with masters in sociology would be more forthcoming about).
They are also lucky to live in Canada, huge country and mostly unpopulated, which therefore doesn't fight with over-produce of any jobs. If they lived in a smaller country, they would have to fight their asses off, work a lot of things even with a degree to make living and wait for your chance of a dream job. There's nothing wrong with that, we've all been there, except them. They seem to have it all, all but energy, social life and a spark in them. The 2 of them have to be the most lifeless, uncharismatic people you would run into. I don't wonder why they have no friends: Cristine's story of being unsocial could just be a blanket for the fact that they are boring.

Post by Guest »

Anyone see on the Not Logical channel they posted a smuglogical ramble with Beyn. :roll:

Knitting Jenny
Informer
Informer

Post by Knitting Jenny »

Is it about how they kill the earth with Starbucks cups? If so, i would be willing to watch that.

OhHoney
Learner
Learner

Post by OhHoney »

I am currently reorganizing my stash and mentally cataloguing all the polishes that might be decent dupes for Cristine's new collection and I'm surprised that there are quite a few that might fit the bill, especially for the dark blue/purple one and the silver holo one. I live in Central Europe and I bought all of these polishes without having to pay exorbitant amounts for shipping, so I 100% recommend scouting out some indie nailpolish websites located in your own (or neighboring) country before purchasing from Holo Taco if you love the look of the polishes, but are from overseas.

escargot123
Informer
Informer

Post by escargot123 »

People sent them sooo many cups in the fan mail that it could be seen as insulting to those kids to keep using single use cups. They seem to be smart, educated and very opinionated people so they can’t not know that it’s incredibly wasteful and damaging, they just don’t give a shit. I’m sure Beyyyn will come up with a pretentious ramble to defend them, something like “you can’t blame individuals when oil companies and mega corporations are the ones actually responsible for being major polluters”.

(I don’t know what the video is about tho, haven’t seen it)
糞食らえ

wreck
Informer
Informer

Post by wreck »

Knitting Jenny wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:16 pm
Is it about how they kill the earth with Starbucks cups? If so, i would be willing to watch that.
I wish, but no. To put it briefly, it was about what it's like for Ben, as a man, to be seen wearing nail polish, and then they kind of talked about how it's fine for men to be interested in traditionally feminine things and vice versa. I didn't really object to any of it, but it's nothing groundbreaking and frankly it could've been a three-line tweet instead of an eleven-minute video

Post by Guest »

Kelli Marissa posted a video of Cirque Colors collection of jelly polishes with iridescent flakies. They are really pretty, just goes to show that Cristine's brand isn't anything special.

Post by Guest »

escargot123 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:11 am
People sent them sooo many cups in the fan mail that it could be seen as insulting to those kids to keep using single use cups. They seem to be smart, educated and very opinionated people so they can’t not know that it’s incredibly wasteful and damaging, they just don’t give a shit. I’m sure Beyyyn will come up with a pretentious ramble to defend them, something like “you can’t blame individuals when oil companies and mega corporations are the ones actually responsible for being major polluters”.

(I don’t know what the video is about tho, haven’t seen it)
FTR the video was mainly him talking about masculinity and nail polish. More eye-roll worthy crap that no one asked him about, and stroking himself because he's such a modern man in a progressive society - but his rants always seem a little incel/MensRightsActivist -ish to me. He definitely enjoys the platform.

Honestly the fact that they even have a POBox for receiving shit annoys me. It just seems so wasteful to get things fans that have less money, and that they clearly don't need or want - you just know most of that shit goes to landfill. Like how many Holo notebooks and folders does she need? How many holo cups, mugs and tumblers does she need, even if they are reusable. It's wasteful.

wreck
Informer
Informer

Post by wreck »

CheesyBirdMess wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:55 pm
Honestly the fact that they even have a POBox for receiving shit annoys me. It just seems so wasteful to get things fans that have less money, and that they clearly don't need or want - you just know most of that shit goes to landfill. Like how many Holo notebooks and folders does she need? How many holo cups, mugs and tumblers does she need, even if they are reusable. It's wasteful.
100% agree with this. I think this is also the reason why they very rarely post mail opening videos – they're disposing of so much of what they're receiving and want to do it quickly and quietly. If it's never shown on camera, no one can ask what happened to it 8-)

smallworld
Debater
Debater

Post by smallworld »

wreck wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:07 am

I wish, but no. To put it briefly, it was about what it's like for Ben, as a man, to be seen wearing nail polish, and then they kind of talked about how it's fine for men to be interested in traditionally feminine things and vice versa. I didn't really object to any of it, but it's nothing groundbreaking and frankly it could've been a three-line tweet instead of an eleven-minute video
I’m glad that they’re at least sending their young viewers a good message, to not let gender roles stop them wearing whatever they want to wear. But it’s not even groundbreaking, it’s normal for men to wear make up nowadays and they’re killing it. My 19 year old brother wears nail polish all the time.

They just want to stroke their own ego.

Post by Guest »

escargot123
Informer
Informer

Post by escargot123 »

Why would anyone care? Vlogs are like one of the most boring styles of videos unless people actually plan ahead and try to squeeze as much as they can in a day to keep it interesting. Definitely not “i wanna see what you do for holidays totally candid”.

But the smug of “I hAvE a ReAl JoB” and “FoLlOw YoUr DrEaMs” was so uncalled for, it’s getting really boring to see them being one joke couple :/
糞食らえ

Post by Guest »

escargot123 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:59 pm
Why would anyone care? Vlogs are like one of the most boring styles of videos unless people actually plan ahead and try to squeeze as much as they can in a day to keep it interesting. Definitely not “i wanna see what you do for holidays totally candid”.

But the smug of “I hAvE a ReAl JoB” and “FoLlOw YoUr DrEaMs” was so uncalled for, it’s getting really boring to see them being one joke couple :/
Yep, I thought it was a really arrogant response from them both. When you've got fans who are freaking teenagers of course they are going to ask for the same old lame-o stuff. You either ignore it, or chose to reply seriously. There's not need to be so condescending.

Especially when they've made the decision over and over again to make their entire fucking relationship and lives into an internet thing. The last video they did Ben even said he wants to stay home for Christmas and not do much, just buy gifts for the cats and make cookies. To some of their teeney-bopper fans hearing that means in their minds "that should be a video, or series of videos!" especially since it was said on a video. :roll:

Return to “Simply Nailogical”