HaveSomeMilk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: SunbeamsJess - Part 4 | No Work & All Play Makes Jess a Boring Girl

Post by HaveSomeMilk »

lastsupper wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:04 am
I have followed her since high school up until now, which was cool since we are the same age and graduated at the same time, did uni and grad school at the same time, all that.
I had to unsubscribe today. I'm really disappointed and, frankly, appalled by the person she is now. I'm not sure when it clicked, but she is so much more concerned with appearing well-read and educated than she is being an active, engaged citizen. She grossly consumed fast fashion and unsustainable fabrics and clothes (yes, even high-end stuff sources unethically) and peddles it repeatedly, but makes one random video where she shipped in thrifted clothes and says it's a good thing for the environment. She reads books on colonialism and racism and supposedly learns so much from them, yet never critically examines her wealth and privilege as a White British woman travelling all over the world, especially in a pandemic, never engaging meaningfully with local cultures beyond posing in front on landscapes with expensive clothes that the locals could never in their wildest dreams afford. I truly could not live with myself if I existed as she does now, it makes my stomach turn.

Just jumping on to say to be honest same. Exact same situation as you and in that it seemed that me and Jess were hitting the same milestones at the same time, same age, uni etc but I've just had to call it a day.
Used to love her more alt fashion and she did seem to have a weird eye for clothes that I either loved or hated but always admired the attempt at "a look" and her creativity. I was floored that during her gap year she'd pre-filmed weeks upon weeks of content (sure some of it was 2 mins total) that would go up while she was away and she seemed to be so aware of her position in the world and how lucky her upbringing had been.

It seems now she's less aware as her privilege has increased. And the whole coronavirus stuff really got to me. Unfollowed quite a few youtubers over the way they went about the coronavirus stuff

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

lastsupper wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:04 am
I have followed her since high school up until now, which was cool since we are the same age and graduated at the same time, did uni and grad school at the same time, all that.
I had to unsubscribe today. I'm really disappointed and, frankly, appalled by the person she is now. I'm not sure when it clicked, but she is so much more concerned with appearing well-read and educated than she is being an active, engaged citizen. She grossly consumed fast fashion and unsustainable fabrics and clothes (yes, even high-end stuff sources unethically) and peddles it repeatedly, but makes one random video where she shipped in thrifted clothes and says it's a good thing for the environment. She reads books on colonialism and racism and supposedly learns so much from them, yet never critically examines her wealth and privilege as a White British woman travelling all over the world, especially in a pandemic, never engaging meaningfully with local cultures beyond posing in front on landscapes with expensive clothes that the locals could never in their wildest dreams afford. I truly could not live with myself if I existed as she does now, it makes my stomach turn.
It's funny because I feel like I'm giving a lot of influencers a bit of a pass, mentally, compared to other GG members. Like how the hell were you even expecting someone that vapid to even have the cognitive ability to react appropriately to the pandemic, much less to actually behave responsibly. Jess puts so much effort into appearing intellectual and informed that I think it's completely inexcusable for her to have behaved the way she did, even if nothing she did or said was outright awful. If she didn't put so much effort into seeming well-informed, I would probably just pass her behavior off as people not all doing the perfect thing all the time, and her wanting to keep her channel "in her lane" and not make big speeches about the pandemic when she didn't fully understand it.

How it's never occurred to her that almost all of her and her family's recreation is going somewhere full of poverty and living lavishly, and that maybe that's a bit problematic, is beyond me. I liked gap-year Jess's travels a lot better because while I don't really travel internationally, they were trips that seemed interesting and also within the realm of possibility for me. Now I'm confused about why she needs to jet around the world to read books on a beach and eat expensive food at an expensive resort.

lastsupper
Wanderer
Wanderer
Been thanked: 0

Post by lastsupper »

HaveSomeMilk wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:21 am
Just jumping on to say to be honest same. Exact same situation as you and in that it seemed that me and Jess were hitting the same milestones at the same time, same age, uni etc but I've just had to call it a day.
Used to love her more alt fashion and she did seem to have a weird eye for clothes that I either loved or hated but always admired the attempt at "a look" and her creativity. I was floored that during her gap year she'd pre-filmed weeks upon weeks of content (sure some of it was 2 mins total) that would go up while she was away and she seemed to be so aware of her position in the world and how lucky her upbringing had been.

It seems now she's less aware as her privilege has increased. And the whole coronavirus stuff really got to me. Unfollowed quite a few youtubers over the way they went about the coronavirus stuff
Yes! She made some good, self-aware judgement calls early on too, like not sharing christmas presents or actually demonstrating work ethic with all the pre-filmed videos and consistent vlogs. And I feel like the more she got into the YouTube world, and the more she was praised for being more deep and thoughtful than other YouTubers, she then started coasting on previous good moves and started making more and more slip-ups. Other than what I listed, I genuinely can't think of something she did in the last one, two, even three years that I have been impressed with her. She just blends in with the other fashion/beauty people now (buying a huge house and bemoaning how slow the progress is, a life revolving around gym/nail appointments/facials, travel for the purpose of more fashion shots) yet still gets credit in her comments constantly about being smart and well-informed.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

I watched her new vlog and I actually don't think she did too badly at addressing it. She walks on eggshells around it for a while but toward the end she does pretty clearly say that in hindsight she made the wrong decisions, but she thought she was doing the right thing at the time.

I also think her guide to choosing books was way more tasteful than most "corona content" being released lately. She started off saying you shouldn't pressure yourself to "be productive" if what you needed was just relaxation, but I also think that giving insight to how she selects books is a unique spin on the "quarantine routine" thing that's so out-of-touch from most people.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

(Sorry to double post, I submitted too early and couldn't edit.)
I do think anxiety is at least an understandable reason to have not flown home, but it also seems like if her anxiety is that bad she should be getting treatment for it. She acknowledges that driving across the country wasn't ideal in a totally open way that makes it sound like she knew all along that that in particular wasn't a good choice, and just mentally couldn't handle being at the airport. As someone with sometimes-paralyzing anxiety myself, I sympathize, but it seems to me like she lets these issues affect her when she has plenty of time and money to see a therapist. She sure didn't have too much trouble with airports to fly to the US or to go on her trip to St Lucia just prior....

Lalakay
Learner
Learner

Post by Lalakay »

I'm glad to see that most of the top comments on the new video are calling her out on not taking responsibility. Her fans are really not having it, and I totally agree with them. There are so many comments that I wonder if she might respond or try and re-do her explanation with some sort of apology. Doubt it though...

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

Lalakay wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:49 am
I'm glad to see that most of the top comments on the new video are calling her out on not taking responsibility. Her fans are really not having it, and I totally agree with them. There are so many comments that I wonder if she might respond or try and re-do her explanation with some sort of apology. Doubt it though...
That would require her actually reading her comments, which she never does.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

Lalakay wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:49 am
:roll: Now most of the top-top comments are just people soothing her poor battered ego, telling her everything she did was fine and we're all doing our best. There are comments telling her she can't just use "the government didn't tell us soon enough!" and pointing out other influencers cancelled their trips before Jess's, but they're getting buried. Like the other poster said just now, too, this is the woman who couldn't even bring herself to read the comments on a video about having 2 channels vs 1 because she couldn't handle the thought of people disagreeing with her. There's no way she actually reads these comments and thinks "Yeah, you know, I did blame too much of my error on the government. I shouldn't have been so overeager to go on the trip that I avoided doing any more than the bare minimum."

I think she does feel bad personally, but she needs to ADMIT IT publicly, not go off on a whole tangent shifting blame and responsibility from herself to the government. I rescind my previous comment about not thinking she handled it too badly. :? I'd commented that before I watched the whole thing and it seemed like she had just admitted to not having made the right choice, but then after that she went on for ages blaming the government as though she's an authority on what should (and could realistically) have happened.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch the new video yet so can’t comment directly on it. But at the same time I can’t believe she has the gall to blame the government for her fuck up... thinking back to when she first started posting from that trip, we were all calling it out here. I don’t think any of us had any inside knowledge did we ? No one got links in M15 or anything ? Ffs, it was obvious at that point for any vaguely informed adult what was happening and what was coming. And what the responsible decision was. Blaming the Tories sounds so predictable and weak. By the time she put up that tone deaf ‘what’s in my carry on’ video every single comment was calling her out on it.
Accept the responsibility and move on.

Edit - this comment sums things up nicely
52B1D0BF-B426-4491-8221-B2239A550EE6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Ok I’ve watched her rant at the government. Wow, it’s so ignorant and hypocritical. They were “irresponsible” for not testing enough but she wasn’t for going on the trip at the same time ?! Her vitriol at the government is at total odds with her lack of personal responsibility it’s ridiculous.
Claiming that Boris Johnson’s failed herd immunity strategy “will cost lives” is so dramatic and not really true...it would have been without the rather radical u turn in policy for exactly that reason several days later when they realised what a mistake it was. You can tell she’s not been in the UK for a while because her tone is completely off, no one is talking like this. Mostly people see how difficult things are and have faith in good intentions - everyone is glad we don’t have someone like trump in charge.
The government made a lot of bad decisions- letting Cheltenham festival go ahead for one and generally being slow to act, it’s true. That’s why individuals started making calls on their own safety and even private organisations like the FA took matters into their own hands and cancelled football. It’s not all a matter of government policy and they didn’t force you to go on that trip.
But to bring up the election and suggest we would be in better hands if Labour had won is so petty, and irrelevant. As well as something she could never really know. A crisis of this scale really eclipses political speculation like that.

HaveSomeMilk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by HaveSomeMilk »

horatio wrote:Ok I’ve watched her rant at the government. Wow, it’s so ignorant and hypocritical. They were “irresponsible” for not testing enough but she wasn’t for going on the trip at the same time ?! Her vitriol at the government is at total odds with her lack of personal responsibility it’s ridiculous.
Claiming that Boris Johnson’s failed herd immunity strategy “will cost lives” is so dramatic and not really true...it would have been without the rather radical u turn in policy for exactly that reason several days later when they realised what a mistake it was. You can tell she’s not been in the UK for a while because her tone is completely off, no one is talking like this. Mostly people see how difficult things are and have faith in good intentions - everyone is glad we don’t have someone like trump in charge.
The government made a lot of bad decisions- letting Cheltenham festival go ahead for one and generally being slow to act, it’s true. That’s why individuals started making calls on their own safety and even private organisations like the FA took matters into their own hands and cancelled football. It’s not all a matter of government policy and they didn’t force you to go on that trip.
But to bring up the election and suggest we would be in better hands if Labour had won is so petty, and irrelevant. As well as something she could never really know. A crisis of this scale really eclipses political speculation like that.
Guaranteed if she had said in that video that she supported the Tories she’d have been flayed... let’s be real here. (And it would be for good reason in my book but hey that’s just me)

Also yes people in the uk who have been here the entire time of the crisis are talking like that about the government still and the choices they have made throughout.

I hear opinions all over the spectrum about what’s going on but to be honest I mostly hear stuff along the lines of what Jess was saying and i agree.

Doesn’t change that she definitely shouldn’t have gone on that trip though. Obviously. And she’ll be having to get back at some point. Wonder if other people stuck in the USA end up chartering a plane with her?

mandok
Learner
Learner

Post by mandok »

mandok wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:14 am
She's just dealing with this whole thing like it's just an inconvenience to her. Right now more than 110.000 people have died (globally) and she's just taking pretty pictures looking all dolled up, in her dad's yard with the same blank expression that she always makes, and she's talking about how she's feeling unispired when for the last 3 years she hardly ever does anything.
I always try to judge someone's character -not by their bold statements and their ''big'' words- but by focusing on the small things....reading between the lines if you will. And what i'm getting from Jess is very disapointing to say the least. All her actions, her trip, her insta updates etc show someone who is not really impacted by everything that is happening in the world right now. To post make-up looks & outfits -espesially when your are not a particullarly active YTber anyway- is not the way to go. For example, she could make a post about the doctors, the health workers all the people who are fighting the good fight right now. But instead she chooses to post the same studid freckly make-up look like she always does.
So for me, it does not matter if she chooses to come up with a very heartfelt video.... her actions have already proven to me that she's too self-absorbed to care.
So, i'm just replying to my own comment which i made before Jess put up her latest video. And.... my guess was correct, she does not care. She didn't even put up a ''good'' explanation or an apology! She basically did/said everything she could to deflect blame from her actions. I'm a biologist and the amount of ignorance in her rationale is APAULING! I firmly believe that she just wanted the money AND to go to the trip which was on her ''bucket list'' (as if this is an excuse)! She then tries to blame the goverment (which DID make mistakes but that's not the point here) in order to deflect the blame from her actions ''oh you cannot expect little poor me to do things perfectly, when our own goverment did so many mistakes!''. Actually yes Jess we do expect from a person who likes to believe that they are sooo informed and sooo educated to make a better call. Most of the time she looks down and not directly to the camera. I believe that's because she does not really belive what she's saying, she just does not have the ''right'' body language of someone who is talking about an issue that they are passionate about. She mentions that she did not go back home because airports cause her anxiety and i find it so funny that a person who travels CONSTANTLY has never mentioned that before! I believe that this is another excuse! She just wanted to stay to her dad's place (which is very nice/nice weather) instead of going back to ''gloomy'' London...
OH! And she also sais at one point ''i'm sorry guys that i left you with no content in your time of need''!!!! Oh relax Jess! You upload a shitty vlog like once per month...on good days! No one is expecting anything from you!
The rest of the vlog is a carefree video about food, books, outfits, the usual....Also at one point she sais something along the lines that one can watch TV/internet all day if they want ''and that's understandable'' (in the most condesending tone ever) but if they want to be productive they should read a book. HONEY, you're living proof that you can rear all the time and be super unproductive (+ uninformed) since nothing ever really sinks in! Please mind your own crappy decisions and don't judge others! You are in no place to do so!

lastsupper
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by lastsupper »

mandok wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:06 am
So, i'm just replying to my own comment which i made before Jess put up her latest video. And.... my guess was correct, she does not care. She didn't even put up a ''good'' explanation or an apology! She basically did/said everything she could to deflect blame from her actions. I'm a biologist and the amount of ignorance in her rationale is APAULING! I firmly believe that she just wanted the money AND to go to the trip which was on her ''bucket list'' (as if this is an excuse)! She then tries to blame the goverment (which DID make mistakes but that's not the point here) in order to deflect the blame from her actions ''oh you cannot expect little poor me to do things perfectly, when our own goverment did so many mistakes!''. Actually yes Jess we do expect from a person who likes to believe that they are sooo informed and sooo educated to make a better call. Most of the time she looks down and not directly to the camera. I believe that's because she does not really belive what she's saying, she just does not have the ''right'' body language of someone who is talking about an issue that they are passionate about. She mentions that she did not go back home because airports cause her anxiety and i find it so funny that a person who travels CONSTANTLY has never mentioned that before! I believe that this is another excuse! She just wanted to stay to her dad's place (which is very nice/nice weather) instead of going back to ''gloomy'' London...
OH! And she also sais at one point ''i'm sorry guys that i left you with no content in your time of need''!!!! Oh relax Jess! You upload a shitty vlog like once per month...on good days! No one is expecting anything from you!
The rest of the vlog is a carefree video about food, books, outfits, the usual....Also at one point she sais something along the lines that one can watch TV/internet all day if they want ''and that's understandable'' (in the most condesending tone ever) but if they want to be productive they should read a book. HONEY, you're living proof that you can rear all the time and be super unproductive (+ uninformed) since nothing ever really sinks in! Please mind your own crappy decisions and don't judge others! You are in no place to do so!
That point-of-view REALLY pisses me off. As an avid reader myself, I hate when readers view book-reading as somehow more productive or high-brow than tv/movie watching, reading magazines, etc. It's just content in a different format, and some stories lend better to different mediums. To imply that reading is better really says a lot about how she views her time reading as "productive" and not just a leisure activity she commits exorbitant amounts of hours to each day, pandemic or not.

Cherry7
Learner
Learner

Post by Cherry7 »

I had to unsubscribe to her after this vlog and the main reason being was her rant about the government.
As others have said it was all a bit jumbled and hypocritical given her actions, but mainly:
1. Yes, it’s widely thought and commented that the gove gov handled some things badly BUT I can’t stand the way people like Jess here seem they know sooo much better than scientists and experts and can just claim to absolutely know it all
2. She is a classic of someone looking at this politically and not seeing past her own political views. There are plenty of people who aren’t conservative voters who would jump to the same rant as she did. We know from past videos her very strong labour leaning views and the way she addressed it made me feel that whatever they do she would criticise because she is only looking at it politically

It’s just classic champagne socialist behaviour.

Cherry7
Learner
Learner

Post by Cherry7 »

I had to unsubscribe to her after this vlog and the main reason being was her rant about the government.
As others have said it was all a bit jumbled and hypocritical given her actions, but mainly:
1. Yes, it’s widely thought and commented that the gove gov handled some things badly BUT I can’t stand the way people like Jess here seem they know sooo much better than scientists and experts and can just claim to absolutely know it all
2. She is a classic of someone looking at this politically and not seeing past her own political views. There are plenty of people who aren’t conservative voters who would jump to the same rant as she did. We know from past videos her very strong labour leaning views and the way she addressed it made me feel that whatever they do she would criticise because she is only looking at it politically

driftwood93
Learner
Learner

Post by driftwood93 »

Cherry7 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:26 am

I can't speak for US viewers, but I do lowkey agree with you as a UK viewer. People are absolutely entitled to their political views, and it's totally valid to call out the government when they're fucking up. The UK government HAS fucked up to an extent with their response to coronavirus, and I think it isn't partisan to point that out.

However (and once again, this is from a UK perspective. I'm aware it's more polarised in the US and I don't want to speak for any situation outside my country in this regard tbh) I get sick and tired of Youtubers and influencers in general doing this these days. Not because they aren't entitled to their views. They absolutely are, that's what democracy is. But this feeling of superiority with it can get stuffed. Personally, I long for the days to be back when I could say I have friends who vote Labour, Tory, SNP, and Lib Dem and people wouldn't react with shock that I have friendships with people of different political leanings. Because in my view, it isn't shocking. It's called being a functioning member of society. And the longer people behave as though it's shocking, and the longer they behave like Jessie is (ie having a political bias - which in itself is fine - but being unable to see past that bias), the more entrenched in this ridiculous tribalism we become. I'm tired of it. And I really believe the only route back to less polarising politics is by people no longer viewing political difference as shocking but just... an opinion?

This was an accidental rant oop, but it felt relevant to say. Jessie is entirely entitled to her opinion, and she's entirely entitled to vote Labour. Totally fine. What ISN'T fine is the way this viewpoint removes any ability to praise the government when they DO do good because 'I didn't vote for them, so I can't praise it'. Tough shit. Welcome to how democracy works. Our government isn't perfect. It's a lie to say that it is. But it's also a lie to say every single thing they do is bad because that's just bollocks. And tbh? The longer people like Jessie with public platforms behave in this self-righteous way, the longer the UK will be ruled by the Tories. Because the average every day person begins to associate Labour with self-righteous champagne socialists talking OVER and judging those beneath them for having a different opinion. It doesn't create desire to vote for that party at all. It only creates more desire to keep voting for the Tories. (Rant over)

Cherry7
Learner
Learner

Post by Cherry7 »

driftwood93 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:02 pm
Cherry7 wrote:

I can't speak for US viewers, but I do lowkey agree with you as a UK viewer. People are absolutely entitled to their political views, and it's totally valid to call out the government when they're fucking up. The UK government HAS fucked up to an extent with their response to coronavirus, and I think it isn't partisan to point that out.

However (and once again, this is from a UK perspective. I'm aware it's more polarised in the US and I don't want to speak for any situation outside my country in this regard tbh) I get sick and tired of Youtubers and influencers in general doing this these days. Not because they aren't entitled to their views. They absolutely are, that's what democracy is. But this feeling of superiority with it can get stuffed. Personally, I long for the days to be back when I could say I have friends who vote Labour, Tory, SNP, and Lib Dem and people wouldn't react with shock that I have friendships with people of different political leanings. Because in my view, it isn't shocking. It's called being a functioning member of society. And the longer people behave as though it's shocking, and the longer they behave like Jessie is (ie having a political bias - which in itself is fine - but being unable to see past that bias), the more entrenched in this ridiculous tribalism we become. I'm tired of it. And I really believe the only route back to less polarising politics is by people no longer viewing political difference as shocking but just... an opinion?

This was an accidental rant oop, but it felt relevant to say. Jessie is entirely entitled to her opinion, and she's entirely entitled to vote Labour. Totally fine. What ISN'T fine is the way this viewpoint removes any ability to praise the government when they DO do good because 'I didn't vote for them, so I can't praise it'. Tough shit. Welcome to how democracy works. Our government isn't perfect. It's a lie to say that it is. But it's also a lie to say every single thing they do is bad because that's just bollocks. And tbh? The longer people like Jessie with public platforms behave in this self-righteous way, the longer the UK will be ruled by the Tories. Because the average every day person begins to associate Labour with self-righteous champagne socialists talking OVER and judging those beneath them for having a different opinion. It doesn't create desire to vote for that party at all. It only creates more desire to keep voting for the Tories. (Rant over)
You said pretty much exactly what I meant, just better!

Ellie2008
Talker
Talker

Post by Ellie2008 »

Cherry7 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 am
driftwood93 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:02 pm
Cherry7 wrote:

You said pretty much exactly what I meant, just better!
Really great post. I think there is a sense that Jessie think her political views make her superior also.

Her behaviour in the last couple of years is sad. I wish she’d find the motivation she had in uni & go & do something, instead of treating staying in bed reading as a job. She’s rich & YouTube gives her easy money but I wish she’d just do something!

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

Jess: I haven't bought ANYTHING besides athletic clothes which I desperately needed.
Also Jess: #AD I just bought some sunglasses to wear around the garden.

(Note that I don't actually think a small bit of online shopping is truly killing people - I've personally bought a few things on Amazon in the past month - but it seems a tad hypocritical to me that she's now decided to not only shop for herself but also to take money to promote other people shopping after initially making a point of how little she'd shopped.)

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Elyezabeth wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:52 pm
Jess: I haven't bought ANYTHING besides athletic clothes which I desperately needed.
Also Jess: #AD I just bought some sunglasses to wear around the garden.

(Note that I don't actually think a small bit of online shopping is truly killing people - I've personally bought a few things on Amazon in the past month - but it seems a tad hypocritical to me that she's now decided to not only shop for herself but also to take money to promote other people shopping after initially making a point of how little she'd shopped.)
Totally agree, it’s understandable, lockdown is tough, everyone does things they maybe shouldn’t at times...
But how hard is it to have the self awareness to say something like that? That’s what’s so annoying, how she’s become this excuse machine. It’s particularly grating to hear her, of anyone I can think of , say they need any sort of clothing.
I’m assuming she’s still at her dads and doesn’t have work out clothes there as she didn’t predict it? If so, ok. If she couldn’t borrow from her step mum or anyone else fair enough I guess.
But why so defensive? As you say she has bought other things... “to wear them in the garden” is not a reason to buy sunglasses ! The girl has more sunglasses than anyone I’ve ever seen. I wish she’d just own that. People would criticise but whatever you do people criticise when your an online figure.

Return to “sunbeamsjess”